Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Second Hand SM Viper 2.6 Recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Second Hand SM Viper 2.6 Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Ozmodeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Hand SM Viper 2.6 Recommendations

Hi

Just purchased a second hand SM Viper 2.6 m, wanting to get some opinions from those of you who are familiar with the model regarding set up and anything else you can think of that may help with the success of the model.

The original owner had a KT180G installed; I will be putting my KT170G in its place but as the model’s recommended power is from a 120 to 160 size turbine I don’t envisage any issues with the power not being adequate.

The manual provides the following as a setup for control throws and CG, do you guys recommend this a starting point or do you believe that they are a little conservative; I am a fairly experienced flier having been in RC for more than forty years and enjoy an aircraft that is responsive without being overly sensitive?

Not Sure if these settings are for general flying or for high rate.
Elevator 20mm
Rudder 25mm
Aileron 15mm
Flaps take off 15 degrees
Flaps landing 45 degrees
CG 220mm—250mm from leading edge at root. Empty tanks UAT full, wheels down.

I noticed that there are no recommendations for elevator compensation with flap deployment, do you find that it is necessary or not?

I plan on using my 28X with two DMSS Xbus Rx’s and the Xport Duo PWM converter; currently it has JR 8911 servos on all control surfaces.

Appreciate your time in providing answers to my queries.

Thanks and Regards
Peter
Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Peter,

There are a few boys in the QTF (Queensland Turbine association) who have plenty of experience with the Large SM Viper that would be able to set you in the right direction. One of them just maidened his newest large Viper last weekend.

Send me a PM and i'll get you in contact with them if you'd like.

Thanks
Dave

P.S. what colour scheme?
Old 05-09-2016, 02:07 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Peter,

I think Dave was refering to me - I maidened my new 2.6 SM Viper last weekend at Goondiwindi. This is my second one and I have setup the same as the first. They are great flyers, but you must respect the large control surfaces and fly the jet with common sense and not as a pylon racer. Use power in verticals, but cruise when level and throttle back when diving. Your 170 will be fine if you end up under 20kg, but the 180 is better if you are over 20kg, especially if you fly off grass and a short runway.

The SM suggested settings are fine and a good place to start. Personally, I prefer the cg at 230mm and full flap at 40deg. Compensation is up elevator - 1.5mm on first flap and another 1.5mm up on full flap.

Enjoy...and join the QTF, great bunch of guys.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Ozmodeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I am a member of the QTF but unfortunately due to the nature of my work I very rarely get the chance to attend any events, hence my reason for posting here.

Regards
Peter