RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Kingtech ECU Soon to be released!!!

Old 02-09-2017, 04:55 AM
wfield0455

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK96 View Post
Is anyone with Jeti having issues during the "Learn RC" process...Particularly in regards to trim inputs? It doesn't seem to recognize my trim inputs and as result won't go any lower than "idle" (no "Trim low"). I've tried binding the RX's on the CB200 with both the stick AND trim down as the manual states, as well as with the trim neutral without any luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
I use Jeti and I'm not having any problems... What are your throttle channels travels (max positive/max negative) settings ? Since Jeti's default travels are closer to +/-125% for Spektrum, JR and Futaba I personally have mine set to +/-80%. I also use the Throttle Cut and Throttle Idle functions, both controlled by opposite positions of the same switch to select idle/kill. As I recall, the kill position will produce a pulse of ~1100us, idle a pulse of ~1300us and full throttle ! 1900us. I have my failsafe set to -125% which give a pulse width of ~800us which is well outside the normal pulse width range so the system can detect loss of signal. If you go into the servo monitor and press the center function key it will display the servo positions is ms (1.1ms, etc) instead of percent so you can see what the transmitter is sending to the ECU on the throttle channel. Your throttle trim setup could possibly be the problem and your max positive limit / max negative limit settings could be part of the problem as well as they are absolute limits and if set the same as the max positive/max negative can
limit trim range, etc. If that is the case, the servo monitor should make that clear.

Good luck getting it sorted out.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM
CraigG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Is anyone with Jeti having issues during the "Learn RC" process...Particularly in regards to trim inputs? It doesn't seem to recognize my trim inputs and as result won't go any lower than "idle" (no "Trim low"). I've tried binding the RX's on the CB200 with both the stick AND trim down as the manual states, as well as with the trim neutral without any luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
I ran into similar issues setting up my Jet Central Rhino. Go into your servo setup and set the throttle positive/negative limits and max limits all to 100%. Then look at your Digital Trim menu and make sure the throttle is set to Thro-Low mode. See if that helps.

Craig
Old 02-09-2017, 12:59 PM
VK96

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys... made the changes and all is working as it should. I believe the culprit was the "Thro-Low" mode. I swap my digital trims around so I can trim AIL/ELE with my left hand on the lefty hand side of the TX. When making the changes I didn't change the modes. Wayne, I like your idea of the Idle/Kill switch...might use it! BTW where do you fly? I see you're in MA...Chris
Old 02-09-2017, 03:14 PM
wfield0455

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Thanks guys... made the changes and all is working as it should. I believe the culprit was the "Thro-Low" mode. I swap my digital trims around so I can trim AIL/ELE with my left hand on the lefty hand side of the TX. When making the changes I didn't change the modes. Wayne, I like your idea of the Idle/Kill switch...might use it! BTW where do you fly? I see you're in MA...Chris
Yes,

I'm a member at SSRCC in Brigdewater and I fly my turbines that are suitable for a grass fields there pretty regularly. I use one of the Safety switches for the throttle cut/idle function so I can't accidentally bump it and accidentally kill the turbine in flight. It works really well.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:20 PM
VK96

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
Yes,

I'm a member at SSRCC in Brigdewater and I fly my turbines that are suitable for a grass fields there pretty regularly. I use one of the Safety switches for the throttle cut/idle function so I can't accidentally bump it and accidentally kill the turbine in flight. It works really well.
Cool...I'm up in NH and just joined the Plum Island club. Will keep an eye out if I'm ever down your way!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:45 AM
wfield0455

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Cool...I'm up in NH and just joined the Plum Island club. Will keep an eye out if I'm ever down your way!
They seem to have a Jet rally at Plum Island every Spring and I always try to attend so perhaps I'll see you there.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:48 AM
TimD.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Question? Bought one of the new k60s last year and I am just now getting to it. Tried to start it yesterday with multiple failed start. I am using a 7cell NIMH 3200 pack. It gets to the point where it is starting to light gets up to 46c then gives bad start/ no start/ sad start something to that effect.

Will the 7c nimh not do it ? Do I have to use the life?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 AM
mauryr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD. View Post
Question? Bought one of the new k60s last year and I am just now getting to it. Tried to start it yesterday with multiple failed start. I am using a 7cell NIMH 3200 pack. It gets to the point where it is starting to light gets up to 46c then gives bad start/ no start/ sad start something to that effect.

NiMh is too last millenium for kerostart.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Digital Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

9.9 life.....
Old 07-06-2017, 06:47 AM
TPerk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a my 120 KT shut down on the runway, thank god I was still on the runway. I was getting ready to take off and I was going to try and use the brakes on full and add 3/4 power and then release the brakes to see how the jet would take off, as I got close to 3/4 power the engine just shut down and did not go in to the cool down mode has any one had this problem, I checked the bubble tank to see if there where and air bubble in the bubble tank, there where none. Does ant one have any idea what could have happened? After I cooled the engine down I restarted it and all seem find I got a 5min flight and all worked well.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 AM
stegl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD. View Post

Nimh battery packs don't have the available current for turbine starts. Use Life or lipo as that gives enough amps for a good start.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:11 PM
TimD.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Nimh battery packs don't have the available current for turbine starts. Use Life or lipo as that gives enough amps for a good start.

Yes they work fine. The pump was stuck from factory. Once freed up never had another issue. I have used Nimh on several now.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:32 AM
TPerk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found out why the K T 120 shut down on the runway. This is my first jet engine and I am still learning about jet engines, that being said, the problem was I did not have the throttle trim all the way up as high as it would go and that caused the shut down. I made a call to Barry at K T and he was able to help me find out why the engine shut down, I must say K T has great tech support. I have had a lot of flights after finding out why I had the shut down and I have no problems with the engine after calling Barry.

Thanks Barry
Old 10-11-2017, 07:31 AM
stegl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was this a digital trim radio or one with the older slider trims ? A more positive way would be using a switch like an engine kill switch if setup allows it. On my Jeti I bought a locking switch and have this setup as a positive locking engine kill and works like a hot darn with no chance of accidently switching on or off.
Another reason a turbine may shut down is if the failsafe is triggered due to maybe positioning of the receiver antennas' in the aircraft. 2.4 RF apparently does not go thru liquid mediums like fuel and if the ant whiskers are in a bad spot could be blanked out by the full fuel tank as was discovered at the Princeton Jet Fly last spring in a f104.

Last edited by stegl; 10-12-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:11 AM
TPerk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Stegl, thanks for your response. I am using a Hi Tec Aurora 9 radio that das digital trims. The reason I was only running to trim up a little above half trim was because I thought if I had it just above half trim it would be a faster way to shut the engine down should I have a hot or wet start. This is my first jet and I like all new RC Jet Pilots I am learning as I go. Talking with Barry from K T about the problem I learned that the trim needs to be all the way up for the engine to get the proper RF signal from the radio. I have had no problems after talking with Barry and keeping the trim all the way up. I have been trying out using a power up take off, by throttling up to half power with the breaks on full lock and the releasing the breaks and going to full throttle on my roll out for taking off, seems to work great having the engine all ready spooled up to half throttle. I now get a much shorter take off distance. I hope that this is not a bad idea, it seems to work so well.

Thank you
T Perk
Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 AM
Dr Honda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPerk View Post
I had a my 120 KT shut down on the runway, thank god I was still on the runway. I was getting ready to take off and I was going to try and use the brakes on full and add 3/4 power and then release the brakes to see how the jet would take off, as I got close to 3/4 power the engine just shut down and did not go in to the cool down mode has any one had this problem, I checked the bubble tank to see if there where and air bubble in the bubble tank, there where none. Does ant one have any idea what could have happened? After I cooled the engine down I restarted it and all seem find I got a 5min flight and all worked well.
Did you look at the data terminal to see if there was an error?

From the description... sounds just like some air in the system, or a loose electrical connection.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 AM
stegl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi TPerk
I guess my point was , rather than use trims to start and stop your turbine ; why not use a switch similar to motor cut in a fueled engine ? The results are instantaneous
with no delay in case of an emergency or just regular usage. I guarantee that once you use it you will never go back to using trims. I also use the same switch concept as a kill switch for my electrics as then there is no chance of accidently hitting the throttle.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:32 AM
why_fly_high

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Hi TPerk
I guess my point was , rather than use trims to start and stop your turbine ; why not use a switch similar to motor cut in a fueled engine ? The results are instantaneous
with no delay in case of an emergency or just regular usage. I guarantee that once you use it you will never go back to using trims. I also use the same switch concept as a kill switch for my electrics as then there is no chance of accidently hitting the throttle.
I set my throttle trim with only 3 steps. Low, mid, and full. Makes the trim more or less a switch.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:11 AM
markusvt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yup, if your radio allows, set the trim to 3 positions only, not 20 little clicks.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
Yup, if your radio allows, set the trim to 3 positions only, not 20 little clicks.
Not only that, but it leaves the shut down function where others would expect to find it should the need arise. While I admit that I did like the older JR 12X analog slider, the three beeps on the digital trim is a whole bunch better than the "20 little clicks.) !

Last edited by Zeeb; 10-12-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
Community Moderators

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I set my trim step as coarse as I could on my DX-18, only takes a few clicks to go from low to high now.

And a friendly reminder, if you mess with it, re-do the radio learning sequence.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:01 PM
gunradd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine is one click up or down that's it.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
Mine is one click up or down that's it.
Bragger..... or no wait, got it on a switch instead?
Old 10-13-2017, 01:26 AM
TPerk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
Did you look at the data terminal to see if there was an error? Yes I did and there where no errors.

From the description... sounds just like some air in the system, or a loose electrical connection.
I also had checked to see if the there was air in the line, there was no air, it was just the trim setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	146240ac-9fe5-4aca-a8a5-ee8882762e37.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	2241067  
Old 10-13-2017, 02:13 AM
TPerk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you all for the great idea. This is what I did after Barry and I checked for errors in the data terminal and found that there where no errors and he helped me find what went wrong and what went wrong was, that I did not have the trim up all the way. I set up my throttle trim steps so that only a few trim steps it goes from low to high very quickly, just like one of you guys had subjected. Oh by the way using the throttle trim on this radio to turn on the start and stop, and using a faster trim setting set up, is better because after the throttle stick is above raised above 1/3 of the of the throw on the throttle stick, the trim can't be changed by accidently hitting the trim button.

Search this Thread