Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetLegend Buys BVM

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetLegend Buys BVM

Old 05-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that a few years ago BVM announced himself on his website that his business was for sale as he was planning his retirement.

It went a little quiet afterward for two years but this was from May 2014:

http://bvmjets.com/Pages/special_announcement.htm

And of course the chitter-chatter on the playground, by the monkeybars and water faucet, like this thread here, but two years ago...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...o-buy-bvm.html

I agree with many folks. Model jet aviation would be no where near where it is today, without guys like Bob Violett. And many others I won't name now, but we all know who they are if we've been playing with expensive toy airplanes for a few decades. These guys jumped in and made passenger seats for the dream wagon, then made things happen so we could all go along for the ride. We owe a lot of our joy in this hobby to the likes of guys like this.

How ever Bob's retirement starts, I hope it starts with him being able to sell his business to some group that has even half the dedication to sustaining such innovation and attention to SAFETY, innovation, detail and quality so we can continue with BVM as one of the go-to places and one of the places others try to emulate.

I think BV has been a pillar of model aviation. Love him or be annoyed with his ego, he has some well earned street credibility as an innovator and businessman that made our hobby way cooler.

Last edited by Eddie P; 05-22-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:40 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

any official word?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:34 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BVM have a long history of NOT getting involved in internet chat or rumour.. If they have something to say, it is always announced on their website first..

I suspect this is all a storm in a teacup.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie P
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that a few years ago BVM announced himself on his website that his business was for sale as he was planning his retirement.

It went a little quiet afterward for two years but this was from May 2014:

http://bvmjets.com/Pages/special_announcement.htm

And of course the chitter-chatter on the playground, by the monkeybars and water faucet, like this thread here, but two years ago...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...o-buy-bvm.html

I agree with many folks. Model jet aviation would be no where near where it is today, without guys like Bob Violett. And many others I won't name now, but we all know who they are if we've been playing with expensive toy airplanes for a few decades. These guys jumped in and made passenger seats for the dream wagon, then made things happen so we could all go along for the ride. We owe a lot of our joy in this hobby to the likes of guys like this.

How ever Bob's retirement starts, I hope it starts with him being able to sell his business to some group that has even half the dedication to sustaining such innovation and attention to SAFETY, innovation, detail and quality so we can continue with BVM as one of the go-to places and one of the places others try to emulate.

I think BV has been a pillar of model aviation. Love him or be annoyed with his ego, he has some well earned street credibility as an innovator and businessman that made our hobby way cooler.

Well balanced and well said!

Originally Posted by roger.alli
BVM have a long history of NOT getting involved in internet chat or rumour.. If they have something to say, it is always announced on their website first..

I suspect this is all a storm in a teacup.
I think it is inevitable , And I wish it is not, for BVM to sell out considering the international competition and the rising costs of business in the USA. I just hope the new owner will maintain the quality and current models plus revive the Maverick and Ultra Viper.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RBardin
This segment of the hobby would look very different if not for Bob, and BVM.

Say what you will but for last 30 years his stuff looks better and works better than most.

If you need an O-ring, try some advance planning, order a pack (before you need them) and keep them on hand. Whining about an icon in the hobby - over an o-ring - makes you look, to say the very least, petty.
Just got the jet with the valve, so your point about advanced planning is invalid. I look petty for pointing out that all you fanboys are just that...fanboys, and that no one is infallible?
There may have been good and great service in the past, but that is just it. THE PAST. So fanboys need to get off their soapboxes. And yes o-rings is a BIG DEAL, because if one cannot provide service on something so small, what will service be like on something larger? So you may want to figure out what is petty and what is not.
But hey I knew I'd get flamed by the BVM fanboy collective if I said anything before I posted. You fanboys are not the ones I posted for. I posted for those, who like me, are new to turbines.
You fanboys could get totally ripped off by BVM and still sing the praises, so it's not a post to you. Now now fan boy...slow your boil...I said COULD, not implying it WOULD happen......yet.

I went down to the local shop we have in town and got the o rings I needed in minutes, instead of waiting for all the excuses from BVM, and the excuses their fanboys would make up about my post.

Of course I've not gained support, that you can see, for my rant because the only people commenting are fanboys who are offended that someone dare speak ill of their beloved BVM.

It is amusing watching the fanboys have a tizzy though.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:38 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Wow, ten "fanboy's" in one post, that has to be some kind of record, even for this forum.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Eddie P

Hi Desertlakes, did you get your O rings at Ace Hardware on Virginia? They have a good selection. What sizes did you get? (What gear again / cylinders)?

I've been trying to buy actual cylinders for a set of gear I need to service but I can't (no longer in production) so I'm having to open them up and replace the o rings as well. It's a PITA really. no brand is immune... own a jet for long enough and you eventually have to service the gear. That's a good thing at the end of the day though, right?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:01 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

desertlakes, im glad you are an expert on bvm fanboys. especially you being new to jets and such. what a joy you must be at the flying field. i love to roll up to an event and have the newest guy to jets be an expert on all things past and present. the trash cans are always full of their stuff.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When you get to some age, and decide to RETIRE, that's your prerogative and
NO one else. If Mr. Violett decided it, good for him. If he decides to sell his business
good for him. Are you going to buy it?
Hell, no, unless you have the financial capacity. If some other buys it, they got the money.
Where the business go that's none of our business. If the quality goes down, then you
move on to another brand.
That's what I think of this stupid thread, because BVM has not said anything up until today.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 05-24-2016, 05:29 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dreamworks sells metric and standard O-ring kits that aren't that expensive. Shocked if the size you're looking for isn't in that set. Desert lakes, I think you need a hug.

I've never had anything but outstanding customer service from BVM. I bought this big power supply they were selling a while back. Out of the blue, Bob called me to walk me through it. Does that make me a fanboy because I am pleased with their customer service? ;-)

Last edited by DrScoles; 05-24-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:48 AM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
I look petty
Yes.

And I don't even own a jet, let alone a BVM one. But damn dude, you look sad.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:24 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Can we dial back the personal attacks please and avoid thread drift.

I had hoped not to have to intervene in this thread but anymore off topic attacks on individuals and the axe will come out.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Johnny9390
My Feedback: (34)

Too bad Patty doesn't keep dads company going and keep it in the family. Dad can just sit back and enjoy his retirement and fly for fun. Let the kids take over the family business.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:19 PM
kevinthoele

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I am sure Bob needs to cash out for his retirement if it happens. He built something great and it needs to evolve to survive. The world of plug and play is here. I would love to see his F100 F4 and all the rest be Jet Legend Plug and Plays

They are proven flyers
Old 05-24-2016, 04:04 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Yea amigo, HIS F4 or F100 in PNP would be extraordinary!!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:28 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
Yea amigo, HIS F4 or F100 in PNP would be extraordinary!!

NOOOOOOOOOO. For very selfish reasons, I think this is a very very bad idea. (Insert sarcasm emoji here)..
Old 05-24-2016, 04:40 PM
JackD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roger.alli
NOOOOOOOOOO. For very selfish reasons, I think this is a very very bad idea. (Insert sarcasm emoji here)..
I heard it is ready. there is a full warehouse in Orlando, and they are just waiting for you to finish yours to release it hahahah.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM
Johnny9390
My Feedback: (34)

I just wish the prices would go down a bit. Man these "toys" are expensive no matter who manufactures them.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:14 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by JackD
I heard it is ready. there is a full warehouse in Orlando, and they are just waiting for you to finish yours to release it hahahah.
Probably true Jack..
Old 05-25-2016, 05:14 AM
E.N.T.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

DC Junker; what's wrong with you? There's NO personal attacks
here. Just speculations on a RUMOR.
I think you are taking things wrong.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 05-25-2016, 09:21 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Bob needs to make the 100 and the F-4, ARF's. That would be nice!

Roger!! Hurry up with that HUN!
Old 05-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Bhodi11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems as though its true and and not a rumor after all. I spoke with one of the BVM guys at First in Flight today.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:51 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

wow
talk about killing a thread with one post...
Old 05-27-2016, 11:56 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Bv-erm Brandit
Old 05-27-2016, 02:50 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

BVM + Jet Legend = BoGend Jets.

Kinda has a little tune to it!

BoGend Brandit. Strong more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.