Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetLegend Buys BVM

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetLegend Buys BVM

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:26 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's unfortunate is that we'll be paying an American tax for these Jet Legend PNP planes which are priced much lower in international markets simply because the BVM name has been slapped on. I'm not going to partake. However, I am interested in a PROPER BVM designed airframe offered in a PNP offering.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a possibility that we may have the best of both world, just may be. Good BVM quality at JL prices. Economically and physically it is doable but there has to be a force behind it to make it happen. Like some one said in a thread before, it is possible, and I think I'd do the same, that Bob and a few others will stay there acting as advisers and consultants and getting paid. That's what I would do from a business point of view.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:07 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This is confirmed. I know someone that was at Top Gun with Bob. Not sure if theres been an official announcement.

I like jet legend, they make an auwsome viper jet.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:38 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think they will close BVM's shop in Florida, & then build all of his jets in China as ARFs. I thought BV couldn't compete with the cheaper, bigger, prefabricated Foriegn made stuff because he had to pay US wages & overhead.
Jay
Old 06-09-2016, 05:12 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hobby activities have been idling for the past year or so, so forgive me if I'm a bit out of touch with trends, but here is a possibility that this whole trend could come full circle. With laser cutting, CNC, 3D printing, etc. all the rage and certainly within a cottage industry's price range - would there be a market (albeit limited) for old fashioned, Yellow-aircraft level kits? Something like a pre-primed fuse with formers installed and pre-covered (maybe even glassed), but not painted wing? Price such a sport kit in the sub-$1,000 range and make it somewhere around 75-80 inch span? Thinking it would be nice to have a budget, fiberglass and foam "kit" that needs little more than paint, fit out and hardware. Provide a little sweat equity in exchange for price.

Or is there nothing except ARF due to the speed of life?
Old 06-09-2016, 05:17 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
I would think they will close BVM's shop in Florida, & then build all of his jets in China as ARFs. I thought BV couldn't compete with the cheaper, bigger, prefabricated Foriegn made stuff because he had to pay US wages & overhead.
Jay
My buddy Dan that was working with JL to bring the PNPs to BVM has moved to Florida so dont think BVM in Orlando is going away and thats a good thing.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:49 AM
BlueBus320

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
My buddy Dan that was working with JL to bring the PNPs to BVM has moved to Florida so dont think BVM in Orlando is going away and thats a good thing.
Absolutely! Hope that holds true
Old 06-09-2016, 05:59 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Chuck

The world of real builders is disappearing. Nobody or very very few are willing to build. The price for a painted arf is lower then if you built one yourself anymore. All the kit manufacturers are going away. Sad but true.

Originally Posted by ChuckC
My hobby activities have been idling for the past year or so, so forgive me if I'm a bit out of touch with trends, but here is a possibility that this whole trend could come full circle. With laser cutting, CNC, 3D printing, etc. all the rage and certainly within a cottage industry's price range - would there be a market (albeit limited) for old fashioned, Yellow-aircraft level kits? Something like a pre-primed fuse with formers installed and pre-covered (maybe even glassed), but not painted wing? Price such a sport kit in the sub-$1,000 range and make it somewhere around 75-80 inch span? Thinking it would be nice to have a budget, fiberglass and foam "kit" that needs little more than paint, fit out and hardware. Provide a little sweat equity in exchange for price.

Or is there nothing except ARF due to the speed of life?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:16 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinthoele
Chuck

The world of real builders is disappearing. Nobody or very very few are willing to build. The price for a painted arf is lower then if you built one yourself anymore. All the kit manufacturers are going away. Sad but true.
While I don't disagree with you, there will always be a few of us long time modellers that would be willing to build. Perhaps not enough to support a real, full time business but perhaps someone that is newly retired and looking for a challenge and a way to make a few extra bucks as a second career.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:16 AM
AnthonyW

I too have been away for a while, however, as I just added up the 1:5 F-16 PNP with the "required accessories" which does not bring into the equation of any support equipment or a transmitter, is $14,140.00

It is a big boy play land that this boy cannot afford to play in any longer. I have a Bobcat XL kit still in the box, a 70% complete Balsa Bandit and a mothballed Turbine (small) F-86 built from a kit. I have a hard time anymore thinking about the cost just to finish what I have, much less sink $10K+ into an awesome, adrenaline model.

I love RC and BVM has been there best there ever was in Jets, but unless I hit the lottery, the new stuff is out of my range.

Have fun guys, and I wish the best to Bob and the rest of the family, I will see you when I can.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure would be great if JL keeps Bob on as an 'ambassador' to attend and participate at jet events.......he's been a great asset to the RC community and with the business sold he might be able to have more fun don't you think?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

since this speculation came out I've seen a lot a more BVM Bandits both Ultra and MkII's for sale in the classifieds than I've personally seen before.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:57 PM
NZjet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyW
I too have been away for a while, however, as I just added up the 1:5 F-16 PNP with the "required accessories" which does not bring into the equation of any support equipment or a transmitter, is $14,140.00
Any if you only knew the manufacturing cost you would be horrified. I get a few products machined in china, very cheap and outstanding quality, Picture a turbine diffuser for less than $100

Last edited by NZjet; 06-09-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:45 PM
Scott Douglas

Personally I hope that between them they can come up with a website that actually shows what the have for sale (JETLEGEND take note)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:04 AM
FalconWings

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wouldn't it be awesome if they start mass producing Bandits in China for $700!
I mean, I'm sure that when Bob was there folks didn't mind paying a premium to be part of the "BVM Type-rating", but now that they are chinese (not that there's anything wrong with that)....will the trend remain?
Old 06-10-2016, 03:57 AM
Hinckley Bill

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Wouldn't it be awesome if they start mass producing Bandits in China for $700!
I mean, I'm sure that when Bob was there folks didn't mind paying a premium to be part of the "BVM Type-rating", but now that they are chinese (not that there's anything wrong with that)....will the trend remain?
BVM charged what he believed were 'market-driven' prices based on what he was offering, which were top notch aircraft and accessories that were 'thought out/developed' by folks who actually flew them and knew what was required to produce a safe, reliable aircraft. The fact that he was in business for so long proved his pricing model to be valid.

Whether or not the market will accept the same type of pricing once JL takes over is yet to be determined..........worst case, they go 'cheap' and have a FE situation on their hands. Best case, they are able to produce the same product at a lower cost which they pass on (all or part) to the consumer.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:30 AM
FalconWings

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill, the quality of the BVM products can easily be attributed to really good design. If JL now owns the Engineering.....no reason why they can't replicate that in China. I mean they are not stupid, they already make the most popular F-16 there is today.

BV had a market cap. Not everyone could access his products, and he was ok with that, it worked for him. Chinese don't think like that. If they can sell 1000 Bandits at $700 vs 50 Bandits at $4000, they'll go for the first.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:12 AM
Hinckley Bill

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Bill, the quality of the BVM products can easily be attributed to really good design. If JL now owns the Engineering.....no reason why they can't replicate that in China. I mean they are not stupid, they already make the most popular F-16 there is today.

BV had a market cap. Not everyone could access his products, and he was ok with that, it worked for him. Chinese don't think like that. If they can sell 1000 Bandits at $700 vs 50 Bandits at $4000, they'll go for the first.
Can't disagree with you.....but the biggest variable that we see in any decent product made in the USA then 'off-shored' is whether or not the move results in 'less than desirable' change in quality. If the same quality of product can be produced at a lower cost, which is then passed on to the customer, then the sky is the limit insofar as sales are concerned.

If, on the other hand, the lower production cost results in a reduction in quality then the brand will quickly be diminished and sales are likely to suffer, or totally tank, depending on the nature of the quality 'issue'.

I'm more than willing to give any manufacturer the benefit of the doubt, but you know the old saying.....'999 attaboys get wiped out by 1 aw-sheetz!"
Old 06-10-2016, 08:21 PM
jetaholic
My Feedback: (8)

What is Jet Legend's take on EDF? I have bought a lot of BVM products over the last 10 years and it all revolves around EDF. Any idea who assumes command of that part of the BVM business? There is much at stake as far as future products and repairs for the electric fliers. It would be great if Bob could continue to personally over see and campaign at events for this aspect of the hobby as he has done since he first introduced it at BVM.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. So it's so. It's like I rue the day I ever even SAW an arf...

Last edited by Shaun Evans; 06-11-2016 at 03:01 PM.