Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ 1:6 scale f-18 build thred

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ 1:6 scale f-18 build thred

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 05:40 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I’m going to make one ,never have a chance to finish this one so no flights yet,the instruction show the Chofu 21 cm but most guys on forums show 185 mm and 190 mm but I’m not sure from what point but probably from the leading edge of the wing? Will look more for some exact details.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:22 PM
sysiek

So little bit more today,making fuel side tanks holding brackets to hold them in place,heat shield for the air lines so the don’t get cocked from the turbine,and finely the fuselage it’s one piece right now the turbine cables,plumbing and electrical system to the rear fuselage it’s finished.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:27 PM
sysiek

Old 05-19-2019, 08:21 PM
sysiek

15 more hours and the f-18 should be finished,I hope that Michael Sarysz will contact me with some setup help ,so far his f-18 was the best I ever seen flying.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 PM
sysiek

Not very much today long day working and it’s like 45 in Chicago and my garage even colder the heater it’s off ,so just placed the fuel brackets for good with some super cool small screws and secure some servo cables so they stayed in place,I did mark the cg according to Michael Sarysz at 228 mm from the wings leading edge.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 AM
sysiek

So after talking to Michael and confirm his cg point ,the correct cg it’s 4,1,8 to 4,1.4” from the fuselage block with about 2” fuel in the front fuel tank.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:34 AM
sysiek

This is his f-18 with the confirm cg points drilled holes.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 PM
sysiek

So today just making the tray for the turbine equipment pump filter and valves and some plumbing organizing.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:02 PM
sysiek

So today I really kicked on my building all the air plumbing finished,sterling finished,turbine placement finished pipe alignment almost ready,so maybe 5-6 hours and the f-18 will be ready for maiden flight if all goes smooth I will have it at the West Michigan jet meet the best place to maiden all Jets big and small giant run way and no ugly taxi lights .

Old 05-27-2019, 06:04 PM
sysiek

So today I was working on to new idea how to make the elevators removable the easier way as possible so after talking about it with friend Joe Fellong that guy who builds the 144” long vigilante jet ,and he is using regular safety pins to hold the elevators so I modified the shafts and added some nylon spacers to make it right and I made the hinge operated doors to push and pull out the pins when needed, so after some other ideas I decided to install the center external fuel tank pylon , it’s made with wood and matches the fuselage shape this will look sharp better than the ones under the wings, and I made the hook for better look.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:42 AM
sysiek

Just the pylon external fuel tank hardware.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:09 AM
sysiek

Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 PM
sysiek

So I took the f-18 to the Michigan jet rally and finished the build there and Saturday late afternoon I did try to maiden the jet but the turbine was acting funny and for some reason don’t want to start and have so many like hot startup with very long and hot stabilizing process with lots of hot air flames going out from the turbine,this never happens on the turbine station or when I start it when installed to the jet in my garage,so after some investigation I found the problem,the battery cables are just too long from the nose section all over to the ecu it’s about 30” with 14 gauge silicone cables and this cost the amps drop and voltage ,imagine that?so now I have two batteries one the Y connector one closer and the second,, primary one at the nose for the cg so after the start I could remove the close one and fly on the one installed in the nose section or just live two off them and fly with two ,so if someone has similar problems check the cables length maybe this is the problem not the turbine.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:37 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sysiek
So I took the f-18 to the Michigan jet rally and finished the build there and Saturday late afternoon I did try to maiden the jet but the turbine was acting funny and for some reason don’t want to start and have so many like hot startup with very long and hot stabilizing process with lots of hot air flames going out from the turbine,this never happens on the turbine station or when I start it when installed to the jet in my garage,so after some investigation I found the problem,the battery cables are just too long from the nose section all over to the ecu it’s about 30” with 14 gauge silicone cables and this cost the amps drop and voltage ,imagine that?so now I have two batteries one the Y connector one closer and the second,, primary one at the nose for the cg so after the start I could remove the close one and fly on the one installed in the nose section or just live two off them and fly with two ,so if someone has similar problems check the cables length maybe this is the problem not the turbine.
how is this build coming along?
Old 10-06-2019, 12:33 PM
sysiek

The jet is finished and currently waiting for maiden flight,the last time when I took the jet to jet meet my turbine was not working properly the “the battery cables were too long from the nose to the ecu and this cost the problem “ but now I have two batteries one installed in the nose for C.G. and the second one close to ecu and now all working properly, I might take the jet to fall jet classic jet meet and maybe try to fly there.