Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Vasa Fusion - Another small and fast one!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Vasa Fusion - Another small and fast one!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vasa Fusion - Another small and fast one!

Another hand launched little jet. This one can very well be my fastest jet to date, even that it's only using the T15 Kolibri for power. It has a very streamlined profile. I bet your first thought is that it's a funjet knock off.... well that is up to you to decide. If I put these two side by side the Funjet looks like a beluga. The Fusion is so much lower in profile maximum 25% of the frontal area. It comes very well crafted with a built in fuel tank of 600cc and mine also features a small hoppertank.

I got production photos too if anyone are interested.

Wish me luck on the maiden!

http://www.vasamodel.cz/ email Vaclav....

A real funjet knock off vs Fusion.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:55 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck Henke...
sure its gonna be faaast.

Chatty.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:57 AM
Henke Torphammar

Just a little preview

http://youtu.be/1JHbLhWQXFE

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 06-06-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool! How big is this compared to a sky runner? I've asked this before, in the US, can we dodge the rudder and landing gear requirement and still be AMA compliant?
Henke, faster than your Swist???
Old 06-06-2016, 07:56 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Very cool! How big is this compared to a sky runner? I've asked this before, in the US, can we dodge the rudder and landing gear requirement and still be AMA compliant?
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/510-a.pdf

6. For RC fixed wing aircraft: With the exception of hand-launched aircraft which have no undercarriageand with a flight weight under 7.5 pounds wet, the model shall be able to come to a controlled stop oncommand with the engine at idle on a level hard surface.

9. With the exception of hand-launched aircraft, with a flight weight under 7.5 pounds wet, controllablerudders are required on all RC aircraft.

22. All hand-launching of aircraft, with a flight weight under 7.5 pounds wet, will be no closer than 25 feetfrom any individual, except for the pilot and the pilot’s helper. It is recommended that the pilot utilizesthe assistance of a helper to launch the model.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:36 AM
kelly vallee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any specs? and delivery date and price?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 AM
DrScoles

I really want a sky runner, but its almost as much to ship as it costs! I don't see it on their site Henke, is it for sale yet?
Old 06-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by kelly vallee
Any specs? and delivery date and price?
http://en.vasamodel-eshop.cz/e/model...-19/fusion-21/

It's 740mm long and a wingspan of 790mm. Weight WITH assembled fueltank + hopper is 1lb 4oz(580grams) Price is about half of the skyrunner. I do not know what's included in the skyrunner kit but it's much larger for sure. Like comparing an F5 to a Tomcat. The Fusion can be ordered with a 600cc fuel tank which with the T15 is enough for 10minutes of FULL power. Now, I know you US guys are much for the P20, and it will fit easy, but the weight will increase. With a little luck only by 0.5lb or so, but maybe 1lb extra is the average. Bungee would be my suggestion. But what the heck, they fly the Funjet with P20 so this must work too.

I do of course supply a CNC cut mounting kit for Kolibri, I'm happy to do one for P20 too if there are intrest. Maybe we can talk Vaclav in to doing an extended hood for turbine.... I'll probably do one in CAD and have it printed to test it out.

Skyrunner vs Fusion

P20 can be mounted more forward to reduce AUW.

Maybe a custom clamp for the P20 would be good
Old 06-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Henke Torphammar

To not forget I make a note that for launch I made a flight mode with 100% elevator up. Reflex I think you call it in English. I made a 2sec delay for it to go back to normal. So, launch mode, full power, launch, flip the switch and during 2sec the elevator goes back to normal while accelerating away in an nice arc (upwards LOL)

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 06-06-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Henke, faster than your Swist???
I've learnt to not guess speeds. Size makes a huge difference so it might look all wrong to the eye. It moves well, probably as fast as the Baiojet with 30N Kolibri, but here only with a T15. Will check the speed soon and let you know.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Henke Torphammar

Skyrunner has approx 400% frontal area of the Fusion. In my mind that makes the skyrunner a 60N and up airframe. T15 in the Fusion equals a K60 in the Skyrunner. And a T35 would be like a K140 in the skyrunner
Old 06-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Henke Torphammar

Out racing again today. Amazing with 10minutes of full power runs. I usually throttle back a bit and land after 6min or so but this one holds allot of fuel!

My decals are leaving, the engine cover are leaving.... I had tightend the screws too much cracking the base of the cover. An easy fix but always a bit scary when something decides to bail during flight.

I did a chart with the popular micro turbine planes.

So doing some CAD work again. Not saying I'm doing it better then Vasa, just that it's made for EDF and I want to try a smaller inlet. We'll see if there are any changes in speed when my mGPS shows up!

Old 06-13-2016, 03:22 AM
Quandry

Nice stuff Henke! it's insanely fast - too fast for me but I'm really liking the custom parts you are making
Old 06-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Henke Torphammar

After a couple of hours in Solidworks I now have a printed sample that is good enough to fly. Still not perfect, but good for testing. I happend to have red ABS pretty close to the Fusions color. Printing with very thin layers, light sanding, then vapor smoothing gives a nice result. I would say the home printer outperforms the production printers in this case as I can print 0.06mm layers in ABS which is a thermo plastic, while the production machines either run 0.25mm layers(FDM) or 0.03 layers in epoxy(SLA/Polyjet)

Air resistance comes from multiplying the frontal area with the coefficient of drag. I can not alter the frontal area, but hopefully the cd value making the air frame slipperier. I will conduct testing soon and put the results up here.

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 06-15-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Henke Torphammar

MGPS works like a charm! Now I know the speed!

Purple is GPS glitches, purple indicates 844km/h. The Jeti logger sorts these out and never show them in the Jeti-graph. This Google earth data are extruded from the raw NMEA file. Interesting to see it working that well. I never thought that. The Voltron would happily showed 844km/h as the max.... which makes it useless. It covers 20miles in a flight

Old 06-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Henke Torphammar

With the T15 Kolibri I did several rund over 350km/h with reliable readings at 365km/h. So what to do what to do.... double the power of course!

Now fitting the T35 is an easy match as it got the same footprint as the T15. Only uses more fuel and twice the oumpf. Now suddenly launches are extremely easy with 2:1 thrust to weight ratio. The 29" Fusion MOVES! accelerating upwards like mad. It needed tweaking of the Tx programming and then a couple of flight to get used to the new dimensions. I did some testing today again and powerd up going down for the first time with T35. Man....... I recorded allot of time above 250mph with a couple of passed getting reliable readings at 290mph or 128.1m/s to be exact. 29" of airplane moving at 128m/s+ are a blast I must say. The thing starts to make a sound close to what real planes do when going towards supersonic. When flying towards you the sound almost disappears then comes the Fusion at full power! Awesome

Old 06-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Pretty insane stuff!

I sure hope real airplanes steer away while you are flying that missile...
Old 10-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Henke Torphammar

Time for more speed. This model is designed for a turbine and holds allot of fuel for its size. Twice of the Opus V-jet for example. This makes it a good choice for the T50. It can be mounted more forward to get the CG without too much extra weight.

Will be fun for sure. 350mph would be very possible.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I always like to see your stuff. I really wish someone in the USA would support the Kolibri engines.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:21 PM
DrScoles

Outstanding Henke! Kheliy Khoobi!
Old 11-23-2016, 03:21 AM
Quandry

Any updates on your Fusion project Henrik?