Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wishing for a P70 sized sport jet that looks good, I can't be the only one.....

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wishing for a P70 sized sport jet that looks good, I can't be the only one.....

Old 06-13-2016, 08:55 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Wishing for a P70 sized sport jet that looks good, I can't be the only one.....

Seriously, back in the day of the ducted fan jets looked like jets, and there were kits available. We had Vipers, Aggressors, Mavericks, Starfires, Cyclones, Panthere etc etc etc. Then came Bandits and Razor's.

Where are the sport jets today that look like jets. I know, somebody will say Flash or Ultra Flash. Well, first of all, they aren't sparkling performance with a P70 and frankly, I think the Flash is a horrible looking jet personally. Secondly, I don't a $3000 ARF for an economy jet.

Not that the kits back in the day were cheap, but today an ARF costs as much as a high end ducted fan back in the day completely outfitted does.

Yes, I just looked at the "Fortune" thread, but again, it's fugly IMO, I never bothered to even look at the size honestly.

I never owned a BVM Ducted fan, or really many ducted fans at all as they were on the way out when I started into jets, but I still remember staring at the original Viper's and dreaming. The Starfire was cool too outside of inlets that looked huge but you couldn't argue the performance.

I wish that somebody would focus more on the smaller (but not micro) sized jets. My bobcat is ok, it flies well, always works, but it's still a twin boomed airplane that just doesn't scream sexy.

Everything today seems to be being designed either huge, or with these big pregnant dolphin fuselage's. It seems to be headed to one extreme or the other, either huge or very small. Is there no market for a P70 sized nice sport jet anymore or is it that there is no market because nobody is manufacturing one? Even in the scale realm there is little in that size anymore. I have big stuff, but reality is it's a pain for me to go fly it regularly.

I can't be the only one that misses those 80's era designs can I?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:48 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. There are a lot of nice 60-80 size engines out there but not much sleek and sexy out there. The only option I could find is the JTM XXX.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What about the new dedicated for small turbine F-16 from GJC? Sure, it's a foamy but very tough foam and made for a 60 sized turbine. "Foam is the new balsa" or so I've been told.

http://www.globaljetclub.com/BNF-PNP...boFoam-Jet-BNF
Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Some new designs are horrible but as for engines the current future are awesome as you virtually get P70 power from a sub 1lb engine. Or vise versa 120N from a P70 sized engine. You need to shoe horn the P70 in a small enough airframe if you want performance from that old lump
Old 06-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeremy.. Grab some blue foam.. Stick it all together and shape your own. If it looks good enough and the price is low enough.. you can sell more than 3 and recoup your expenses.

FYI.. To bad you dont like the T-1 cause its all Comp and comes with gear for $1800!! but!! it is a 100-160 size at 1.9m
Old 06-13-2016, 06:26 PM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
Some new designs are horrible but as for engines the current future are awesome as you virtually get P70 power from a sub 1lb engine. Or vise versa 120N from a P70 sized engine. You need to shoe horn the P70 in a small enough airframe if you want performance from that old lump
A P70 fits in the old 5" ducted fan airframes easier than a dynamax does. There are a lot of those old engines out there that are still good and can be had inexpensively. The AMT Mercury even fit pretty easy into those old DF airframes. I can't justify the cost of the kolibri's or P20's etc for what they are. I love my big engines, but I love that my P70 is inexpensive to run too.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:34 PM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by Vettster
Jeremy.. Grab some blue foam.. Stick it all together and shape your own. If it looks good enough and the price is low enough.. you can sell more than 3 and recoup your expenses.

FYI.. To bad you dont like the T-1 cause its all Comp and comes with gear for $1800!! but!! it is a 100-160 size at 1.9m

See, I like building still. My DL Aeromodels Cyclone cost me under $1000Canadian by the time I had kit, gear, and painted. Sure that doesn't include a tailpipe or fuel tanks for turbine, but it's still half the cost of even the T1. It was a great flying airplane. I lost it from engine problems but that kit, the Y/A kits, even the JHH kits were all very affordable. The BVM stuff was expensive but it worked. I get that the average modeler doesn't want to build anymore, but it would be nice if some of the ARF stuff was available as a kit for those of us who enjoy building, don't want the same color scheme's, and make it significantly less money. I'd like to say I'm not cheap, but reality is, I just don't want more $7000+ rtf airplanes anymore.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:55 AM
josecilurzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our small class jet for fly end of day to relax is an Bobcat xl pushed by P70, we paid only 1.5k on jet setted!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2370
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2167853  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:10 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a lot of work, but I designed and build my own sport Jets,
Ply, balsa, foam and glass. This is number 5.
The design can be any scale, the Tsunami, has 72" wingspan.
They all have flown well and will not break the bank
Ron

Views:	2372
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2167948  
Old 06-14-2016, 06:41 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

G4guy,

You have the best looking tubeless jets around. I would love to build something like that for my K45.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:59 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by G4guy
It's a lot of work, but I designed and build my own sport Jets,
Ply, balsa, foam and glass. This is number 5.
The design can be any scale, the Tsunami, has 72" wingspan.
They all have flown well and will not break the bank
Ron
Ron,

That is super slick! You should kit that airplane, or work with someone to do it. I'm a builder, but not a designer - I'd like to have one, but the designing part is out of my wheelhouse for sure.

Bob
Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 AM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!! I too, miss those planes. This is exactly what I have been looking for since I am starting to get back into the swing again. I cannot find a nice, sleek looking sport jet around in this size! Everything looks like a whale, or is way to big for what i want. I just mentioned on RCC how I should have kept my Sport Shark and converted it.
I just cannot find anything that suits me in this size. I'm pretty sure there's lots of pilots who feel the same.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:19 AM
Jetset

Ron, that is one sweet plane. Reminds me of the Cyclone
Old 06-14-2016, 08:51 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

This is the Super Viper with Ace 60 turbine.

More info on this page ,

http://www.globaljetclub.com/BNF-PNP-AND-TURNKEY

Just plug in a receiver, Rx batteries, and ECU battery then you are ready to fly in 1 to 2 hours out of the box.

We flew this and F16 at the First in Flight. Just charge battery and fuel it up and go.

If you have spare 60 engines, laying around you can just buy the airframe and plug in the engine.

$1395, comes with servos, landing gear, electric brakes, retracts, fuel tanks, exhaust pipe, navigation lights, voltage regulators, UAT, 48oz fuel tank,

With an Ace 60 engine, it goes for $2795.00 out of door.

I think it's a quickest way to get yourself airborne.

Mike

Views:	1863
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2167956   Click image for larger version

Views:	1938
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2167957   Click image for larger version

Views:	165
Size:	974.3 KB
ID:	2167958   Click image for larger version

Views:	1715
Size:	1,001.0 KB
ID:	2167959   Click image for larger version

Views:	1811
Size:	939.0 KB
ID:	2167960  
Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Jetset

If that Viper had this shape, Id be all over it.

Name:	gm011.jpg
Views:	1768
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	2167967  

Last edited by Jetset; 06-14-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Bandit ARF MKII is a great plane for a p-70.

It's lighter than the older MKI and with the inner geardoors on the mains its a much cleaner airframe.

The p-70 would push it along at a really nice speed too..
Old 06-14-2016, 12:52 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Ron,

That is super slick! You should kit that airplane, or work with someone to do it. I'm a builder, but not a designer - I'd like to have one, but the designing part is out of my wheelhouse for sure.

Bob
Bob I have been trying to get a set of plans from Ron for some time!

I really like his design!

Ron... hint... hint!
Old 06-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Jetset

Bandit MK2..Go fly price of $4735-$5235.......this is the part that tuns me away.
It would be nice to find an Aggressor/Bandit style "kit". Fiberglass, fuse, foam core wings you sheet yourself...etc, etc.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:48 PM
Jetmodeler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found there are still a lot of models available for 18-24 thrust turbines, both my Der Jet Vampire and my JTM 1.7M Viper are flying on a JC Rabbit, nice power and good looking models. The P70 fits these size models well. The Viper is a good aerobatic sport model, and of course the Vampire is a sweet scale model. Look at some of this older models, they are out there.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetset
You took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!! I too, miss those planes. This is exactly what I have been looking for since I am starting to get back into the swing again. I cannot find a nice, sleek looking sport jet around in this size! Everything looks like a whale, or is way to big for what i want. I just mentioned on RCC how I should have kept my Sport Shark and converted it.
I just cannot find anything that suits me in this size. I'm pretty sure there's lots of pilots who feel the same.
We should open a thread in RCCanucks.com There is currently FOUR scratch builders creating jets over there now. My self included with my WetJet. It will be a 70-120 bird or electric prop version. Built for water,snow and grass. Saves you hundreds on landing gear.

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2167996   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	2167997  

Last edited by Vettster; 06-14-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Jetset

The Panthere was one plane I always wanted.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:23 PM
LGM Graphix

That super viper might be priced nice but IMO it is FUUUUUGLY. The bandit arfs are fine but they aren't cost effective by any means nor are they kits. There used to be kits that even with a set of spring air or rhom air retracts were below $1000. I hear the bandit arf is a better jet than the super bandit but I hated my super bandit (I know, I'm an anomaly) so even if the bandit arf was priced better I would really hesitate buying one.
The F16 is cute but I have zero interest in foam airplanes much less foam airplanes that are over a grand.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Jetset

Once again-my thoughts exactly.
If they'd make an Aggressor style plane, Id be all over it. The whale look, I just do not like.

That super viper might be priced nice but IMO it is FUUUUUGLY. The bandit arfs are fine but they aren't cost effective by any means nor are they kits. There used to be kits that even with a set of spring air or rhom air retracts were below $1000. I hear the bandit arf is a better jet than the super bandit but I hated my super bandit (I know, I'm an anomaly) so even if the bandit arf was priced better I would really hesitate buying one.
The F16 is cute but I have zero interest in foam airplanes much less foam airplanes that are over a grand.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:01 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While at First in Flight last month and watching sport jet after sport jet roll back and forth down the taxiway, we just started calling them fishjets. Was just easier than trying to differentiate them from each other.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:17 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy times are a changing

Yep....where are the smaller jets? Everything, today, is for 120 to 200+ size turbines. I have six 60 - 70 size turbines and a couple of 80s. Airframes for these are few and far between. Old Tamjets F-16 or a Falcon 120. Sure would be nice to see a few smaller jets out there to chose from. Guess the world has moved on since I started my first turbine.

dw_crash

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.