Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

18MZ Sell-off

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

18MZ Sell-off

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 18MZ Sell-off

I wonder why there are so many Futaba 18MZ radios for sale all of a sudden. There were 5 for sale last I checked.

Is there a new "hot" radio out there that's causing the sell-off or am I just looking too much into nothing.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:26 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
I wonder why there are so many Futaba 18MZ radios for sale all of a sudden. There were 5 for sale last I checked.

Is there a new "hot" radio out there that's causing the sell-off or am I just looking too much into nothing.
i think I did see a new 18MZ Futaba released
Old 06-15-2016, 07:30 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People are switching to Jeti...
Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC6
lol
Old 06-15-2016, 10:59 PM
Birdman6310

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People have seen the light and are switching to Spek
Old 06-16-2016, 12:59 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

People changing over to the newer 18MZ WC.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 06-16-2016, 07:04 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Sadly its probably people wanting the WC version which I don't understand why you would spend that kind of money for an extra receiver protocol that is for tiny things, all the other things are available with the current.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really evaluating that option, there telem is amazing
Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yup, I switched from Futaba to Jeti, I will never go back!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
I'm really evaluating that option, there telem is amazing
I'd find somebody who's got one and ask to hold it in your hands before I got too excited about changing radios. I was kind of thinking about a look see for the Jeti's when someone showed up at our field with one of them last Summer. I asked to see it and flew one of his models with it and I hated the way it felt in my hands. Sort of like hanging on to a metal brick or something.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:26 AM
Don Perry
My Feedback: (51)

Myself and two other friends of mine who have been long time Futaba users switched to Jeti and have never looked back. The telem is very simple and just works! We on the other have like the way it feels, and the gimbals are far better than our old radio.

Don
Old 06-16-2016, 12:01 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I asked to see it and flew one of his models with it and I hated the way it felt in my hands. Sort of like hanging on to a metal brick or something.
I guess it boils down to do you like holding a plastic box or CNC machined aluminum

As far as the gimbals, they are top notch, that was one of the many reasons I switched to Jeti

The Jeti uses non contact hall effect sensors, where as Futaba has held onto the old school rotary encoders (potentiometers) that have major wear issues, I know of at least four jet crashes due to the "pot's" failing. Two of them were with my old Futaba 9C about five years ago...
Old 06-16-2016, 01:50 PM
stevekott

One of it is probably the 18SZ coming out with a lot of the features but for less $$$.

It's still a great radio and you can get all the telemetry you need using third party equipment. The battery lasts for days of use and the RC dependability is solid and legendary,

I think Jeti is nice but not so nice to make me switch. In fact I just bought a used 18MZ a couple months ago in case anything happens to mine. The programs are incredibly easy to transfer between radios, never even a click of trim change. The 18mz does so many things that people who own them don't even know it does. It logs signal quality, battery voltage and all 18 channel positions to the SD card on every flight. A lot of guys don't even know it does that.

I have so much intellectual property invested in programming mine I would not want to re-program my brain to get into a different system.

I would like to see them continue to update the software to keep up with the other guys. Still a great system.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:02 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

I myself have been eyeballing the new 18SZ as well.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think Futaba is following their usual marketing strategy. They did exactly the same before the 18MZ was launched.

Remember back when the 14MZ was the top radio; first an 8 channel was announced, then the Super 8, but with 14 channels, then the 14SG, then the 14MZ Anniversary (just like the 18MZ WC now).

All they doing is milking the last of the 'old' model before the 'new' top-of-the-range is put on the market.

I am very happy to wait (and continue to use my 18MZ), because a new Futaba will be on offer soon........and I will have all the telemetry as well as being able to use my installations as they are without changing receivers and switches.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
I am very happy to wait (and continue to use my 18MZ), because a new Futaba will be on offer soon........and I will have all the telemetry as well as being able to use my installations as they are without changing receivers and switches.

Cheers,

Jan
Sorry to burst your bubble, but in order to improve the system they would have to introduce bi-directional system with real transmitter interface and wireless receiver, sensor, 3rd. party devices programming.

And IF Futaba will do that, they have to change Hardware and communication Protocol, and IF they make those changes you will need to change your receivers and redo the installation.

Cheers
Zb
Old 06-17-2016, 01:49 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
Sorry to burst your bubble, but in order to improve the system they would have to introduce bi-directional system with real transmitter interface and wireless receiver, sensor, 3rd. party devices programming.

And IF Futaba will do that, they have to change Hardware and communication Protocol, and IF they make those changes you will need to change your receivers and redo the installation.

Cheers
Zb
.....and EVEN if they don't....I will not change to Jeti ....

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Cheers,

Jan
The following users liked this post:
stang281472 (05-02-2021)
Old 06-17-2016, 03:20 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Zb, here is some advice mate.

Just stick to providing technical support to your customers, rather than brand bashing your competitors on a public forum. There is good and not so good in both products (Futaba and JETI), so lets just leave it there.

Those who think they're at the top have only one direction to fall.

Last edited by darryltarr; 06-17-2016 at 07:13 AM.
stang281472 (05-02-2021)
Old 06-17-2016, 08:40 AM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

Is this an actual rep from jeti? Wow!

Cheers
Zb
Old 06-17-2016, 08:44 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Cheers
Zb
Before you continue,
please fix the ridiculous slow telemetry update rate you have, reported many places. Once you get a decent number of sensors on a Jeti system, it becomes very slow. Check your protocols (which are a joke, no one uses 9 bit data in this century anyway (and you even changed the later models to 8 bit). even then, there are bugs in your system, just go and look it up )

Maybe its time to go and dig up and analyse the different problems there are with Jeti, and start bashing all the Jeti threads, just like you do with your competitors (you where even not playing nice in one of the Weatronic threads when it became known that they were in trouble, very very BAD practice!)

And as others here have mentioned, as long as a Je.. like you is the rep, I will not touch Jeti even with a long stick!
You are a classic example of how NOT to run a business.

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-17-2016 at 08:48 AM.
stang281472 (05-02-2021)
Old 06-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
I myself have been eyeballing the new 18SZ as well.
It's a neat radio. Lots of functionality in a slightly smaller package with the same gimbals as the MZ. The programming interface is a bit different and to me it seems less intimidating than the MZ and the slightly smaller size fits my hands as well as my old favorite, the JR 12X.

If you pay attention to the coupons, you can get one and ship it for less than a grand at Tower.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:54 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a poll thread of radios used on jets. Futaba was the clear winner, I think Jeti was 2nd though. Looking at them side by side is like looking at a blackberry compared to a new iPhone IMO.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 AM
txcnguy

Actually I don't want to be the guinea pig with my jets with Jeti until they get everything working as advertised. ie no talk about 900mhz receiver for the new DC-24 so selling it as triplex but cant use it?
I'll wait to see if they survive.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 AM
txcnguy

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I'd find somebody who's got one and ask to hold it in your hands before I got too excited about changing radios. I was kind of thinking about a look see for the Jeti's when someone showed up at our field with one of them last Summer. I asked to see it and flew one of his models with it and I hated the way it felt in my hands. Sort of like hanging on to a metal brick or something.
its for tray flyers only, cant make the switch if you use thumbs.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by txcnguy
its for tray flyers only, cant make the switch if you use thumbs.
I've seen some friends flying Jeti with thumbs, but I'm a little guy and as such have short fingers so it's definitely not the right fit for me.

Originally Posted by RCISFUN
I guess it boils down to do you like holding a plastic box or CNC machined aluminum
I'm surprised this is used as a selling feature. The things I'm looking for when it comes to the feel of a radio in my hands is weight and comfort, not whether it will survive if I drop it off a 20' ledge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.