Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hysol out of date? No problem

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hysol out of date? No problem

Old 06-21-2016, 02:12 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Hysol out of date? No problem

I found a Hysol 9462 cartridge in the back of my shop refrigerator with an expiration date of 2010. I was reluctant to use it on my jets so I mixed some of it up for a deck project. There were some tiny lumps in the mixture but otherwise it seemed normal. Sure enough it hardened just fine.

I later took a closer look at the date and saw it had actually expired in 2000.....16 years ago! At $16 a cartridge I guess I won't worry so much any more if they are a little out of date, especially if they have been stored in refrigeration.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5212.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2169001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2169002  
Old 06-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We also found that just like regular epoxy that a little heat will smooth it right out.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:59 PM
jseppanen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear Graig!

Unscientifically confirmed it's ok to GO too! I had a few tubes of outdated Hysol 9462 and tested the stuff a few weeks ago. Some serious lumps in the whiter resin part, hardener ok, wouldn't come out of the long mixing tubes. Stick-mixed thoroughly without a tube and got easily nice-and-even glue. Working time is the same. Gets solid evenly. Test gluings were good - parts (plywood/glass/carbon fibre) breaking from other parts than the joint. Just like with 9462 normally. This old patch at least worked for me
Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got about 3/4 gallon of epoxy laminating resin that's oh...close to 20 years old now (ProSet)! Guess what? It works fine. The hardner is now brown and stinks, but it still activates and holds true to pot life and cure times.

Just kept it sealed, out of sunlight and in a reasonable, but not refrigerated temperature. Seems West systems does the same, but the pumps stop working...
Old 06-22-2016, 06:14 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Industrial use adhesives must have an expiration date, only meaning that they have tested it to that many years of storage. Testing beyond that time frame would probably not be feasible for the cost of the product.

BTW, careful when you add heat to soften it.......it reduces the curing time significantly!