Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel-Soaked Electronics Post Crash?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel-Soaked Electronics Post Crash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel-Soaked Electronics Post Crash?

Hey, Guys

What's everyone's SOP for dealing with fuel-soaked electronics (servos, ECU, rx) after a crash? Brand new 12-ch Powersafe and all satellites were soaked (but still on and lit up when the wreckage was found). K-80 got banged up pretty good, too
Old 07-05-2016, 09:26 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Open them up (probably not servos, though; they are pretty "liquid resistant", good electronics cleaner, like LPS I think? - spray clean and let dry, wiping wherever possible with a lint-free cloth. Need to get the turbine oil off - the usual soak it n a bag of uncooked rice thing won't work here.

Good luck - this isn't ever filled with confidence.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:35 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun Evans
Hey, Guys

What's everyone's SOP for dealing with fuel-soaked electronics (servos, ECU, rx) after a crash? Brand new 12-ch Powersafe and all satellites were soaked (but still on and lit up when the wreckage was found). K-80 got banged up pretty good, too
Shaun,

I would disassemble them and clean thoroughly with Denatured Alcohol or use an ultrasonic cleaner for electronics if you have access to one. Then let them dry out completely, reassemble, and give them a reliability test of an hour or so. If they are working at that point, they should be good to go again.

Bob
Old 07-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I got my iGyro3e soaked in crash. Gave it a good dose of electric cleaner but I have not tried to fire it up and I think I will not have guts to try it out without sending it in for checking to Powerbox. Would be quite a feeling to crash a plane due bad gyro..
Old 07-05-2016, 02:16 PM
jetmaven

1-Dump all , especially the satellites .
2-replace all with system not requiring satellites .
Old 07-05-2016, 03:06 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean with alcohol as said here. Some of the chips are wire bond which may not fair well under high impact loads. Especially the cheaper ICs (intentional since its less cost that the other high perf package technologies which would be overkill). So for reuse you must also tap and check for any issues/glitches etc. This can also help expose board problems if say a trace is broken.

Me, I wouldn't use them again in a jet. Maybe okay in a small sport plane though.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:29 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Shaun,

Unfortunately, I've had a few crashes. I send all the electronics back to Horizon and have them clean up what they can and replace what they can't.

Now I'm using Jeti radio equipment and still use JR servos. The Jeti stuff would go to Esprit and the JR back to JR.

What other have said here sounds all fine to me, but, for piece of mind, I'd send it back.

Jim
Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Use if for foamies. It's not worth losing a jet over a few hundred dollars of electronics.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:59 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Jeti USA

Recycle, the fuel can be pretty corrosive to electronics. It's bad mainly in high humidity environments. Jeti offers 50% replacement warranty, maybe HH has something as well.

What happened? Any telemetry data left?

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 07-06-2016, 02:54 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Use if for foamies. It's not worth losing a jet over a few hundred dollars of electronics.
+1
Old 07-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Throw it all in the trash ......