Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anti slime/ fuel contamination treatment pack.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anti slime/ fuel contamination treatment pack.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:53 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anti slime/ fuel contamination treatment pack.

Dear all.

We are coming up with a new product.
This is a liquid additive pack of two syringes that combats fungus and microbes in aviation kerosene or diesel. It not only kills slime but also reduces it to microscopic levels so that it does not affect the filters or the engine.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/collections/fuel-hardware/products/mil-anti-slime-treatment-pack

This additive is approved for the use in jet engines and was tested on our air traps as well as line of PU tubing and Tygon tubing.
It conforms to MIL-S-53021A standards and is compatible with: Jet A/ A1, JP-4, JP-5, JP-8, kerosene, diesel.
Can be used to shock the system in high concentration or as a preventive additive in lower dilution for jerrycan storage.
When used in high concentration, mix two syringes to 1 jerrycan of 5 Gal. Fill your fuel system, run the fuel pump in a closed loop to get the mix all the way to the last tube before the engine ( engine disconnected ). Leave to soak in for 24 hours, then de-fuel the system reversed and throw the fuel in the proper hydrocarbon recycling media. We recommend using this procedure if the fuel system has been put on storage for more than 6 months.
When used in low concentration, mix 1 syringe to 1 jerrycan of 5 Gal and proceed for normal use.
We recommend using a can of treated fuel every 5 cans of fresh fuel.
For people who fill several jerrycans at once from the pump and keep them for a while, we recommend treating each container for storage to avoid bacterial growth.

We will have the new product for sell at Jets Over Kentucky.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:10 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is great news Oli. I'm very much interested.

I currently use Biobor JF. How is your product different from this?

http://www.biobor.com/products/biobo...uel-additives/

Last edited by DrV; 07-13-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:14 PM
olnico

It is Biobor JF MIL that is in higher concentration.
It is just different from Biobor JF in the size of packaging and higher concentration.
The syringes are sized for 5 Gal containers instead of thousands of Gal standard packaging.
This allows the user to safely use the product without touching it. Biobor JF MIL is very highly concentrated and it is not recommended to breath it or get skin contact with it.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:52 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Do the guys at KY jets have this with them?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico
It is Biobor JF MIL that is in higher concentration.
It is just different from Biobor JF in the size of packaging and higher concentration.
The syringes are sized for 5 Gal containers instead of thousands of Gal standard packaging.
This allows the user to safely use the product without touching it. Biobor JF MIL is very highly concentrated and it is not recommended to breath it or get skin contact with it.
Good h*ll Oli, that's NASTY sh*t!

Being a retired Firefighter/Paramedic, the MSDS info always interests me and after reading the info on this stuff, I cannot for the life of me see a justification for playing with this stuff in a hobby environment.

JMHO.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:54 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Do the guys at KY jets have this with them?
Yes.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:56 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Good h*ll Oli, that's NASTY sh*t!

Being a retired Firefighter/Paramedic, the MSDS info always interests me and after reading the info on this stuff, I cannot for the life of me see a justification for playing with this stuff in a hobby environment.

JMHO.
It's not worst than Diet Doctor Pepper...
Old 07-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

It's not worst than Diet Doctor Pepper...
Well that's true, but I don't use that nasty stuff either..... lol
Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 AM
FenderBean

wish i would have got read this before I left I think this is what caused my interairco fuel filter to get clogged that caused all my cheetah problems.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:29 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Keith
You may want to get some of this, you know the saying an ounce of prevention

It was great talking to you at KY Jets, I'm glad you got your fuel system sorted out, you will love the Cheetah SE...
Old 07-17-2016, 04:42 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by RCISFUN
Hey Keith
You may want to get some of this, you know the saying an ounce of prevention

It was great talking to you at KY Jets, I'm glad you got your fuel system sorted out, you will love the Cheetah SE...
Yeah im planning on it, I noticed something in my Rebel pro UAT that was clear gel looking so its probably the same stuff.
Will this stuff kill the slime if its already started?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:27 PM
olnico

Yeah im planning on it, I noticed something in my Rebel pro UAT that was clear gel looking so its probably the same stuff.
Will this stuff kill the slime if its already started?
Yes it will.
It has the effect of breaking the organic life into small chains that will flush through the filter.

Use the shocking dose, leave in the system for 24 hours or more and reverse flush in a separate jar. Make sure that you dispose of that fuel in the appropriate recycling center!
Then you an use the remaining of the jerrycan as normal.

We see a lot of people with slime problems. Especially with clear model tanks where sun light is allowed to penetrate into the fuel. Organic growth would start pretty darn fast in this case.
We saw a case of a modeler at Jets Over Kentucky who forgot his taxi tank on the tarmac overnight. The next day te fuel was completely black with organic matter!

Emptying the fuel back into the jerrycan will recycle this organic life back into the storing system and this will slowly grow in the dark. Eventually the whole fueling chain will get contaminated.

However it is really when the fuel is left in the clear tanks that slime develops the fastest. So the semi clear Kevlar and air traps are great organic growth generators!
Old 07-18-2016, 04:27 AM
FenderBean

Thanks Oli I do run the clear interairco uats/fuel filters so I will add this stuff to my current fuel, fill the models and set for 24 hours then flush. Thanks
Old 07-19-2016, 11:06 AM
FenderBean

Oli I was going to order some of this but im a bit confused on how much your getting for the 3.99$ I have four five gallon jugs I use, I only use one to fuel and poor the other three into the fueling jug. I easily burn through all 20 gallons at the events I go to what would be the best amount to order to for about 3-4 events every six months?
Old 07-19-2016, 02:05 PM
olnico

Oli I was going to order some of this but im a bit confused on how much your getting for the 3.99$ I have four five gallon jugs I use, I only use one to fuel and poor the other three into the fueling jug. I easily burn through all 20 gallons at the events I go to what would be the best amount to order to for about 3-4 events every six months?
One set of treatment syringes will protect two jugs of 5 Gal or will supply the shocking chemicals for 1 jug.
If you've been using the same jugs for a long time, you're likely to have all jugs contaminated.
I would recommend to use one set for shocking your fueling jug ( fill it up before and fuel up all your jets with this for treatment ).
Then use two other set to treat the other jugs. So, 3 sets total.

When you empty your storage jugs in the fueling jugs, leave a bit of treated fuel in there.

Then use two sets before each event or every two months. If you use fresh fuel supply on a regular basis, slime is unlikely to develop fast enough within 2 months.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:20 PM
olnico

Guys, just to lift some serious mis-understanding among the jet crowd.

Jet fuel DOES NOT have antimicrobial additives as standard. It has Prist, which is a fuel icing inhibitor.
The old Prist formulation prior to 1994 was certified to be a retardant to microbial growth thanks to its formulation mostly composed of EGMME.
As regulation changed in 1994, EGMME was replaced by DEGMME which is not certified as microbial growth retardant.
Jet fuel suppliers forbid long term storage for this exact reason.

Lots of people have not realized that fact and believe that Prist incorporated in modern jet fuel prevents slime. Well, not any more.

http://www.nexeosolutions.com/market...ircraft/prist/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_s...cing_inhibitor
Old 07-19-2016, 03:46 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Hi Oli,

I have been using Biobor JF in my fuel for a couple of years now. I inject it into the jugs using a CA applicator. I also mix and pour into the main fill jug like FenderBean. I have been defueling the main tanks in the jets but leave the air trap full. I have never done the shock treatment in the jets themselves. Do you think it necessary to do the shock or just keep running treated fuel.

Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Gary

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 07-19-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:28 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Hi Oli,

I have been using Biobor JF in my fuel for a couple of years now. I inject it into the jugs using a CA applicator. I also mix and pour into the main fill jug like FenderBean. I have been defueling the main tanks in the jets but leave the air trap full. I have never done the shock treatment in the jets themselves. Do you think it necessary to do the shock or just keep running treated fuel.

Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Gary
Hello Gary.
If you've been using Biobor on a regular basis and especially in the storage jugs, you won't need shocking.
This is only required if the jelly slime is present in the air trap/ filters.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:54 AM
FenderBean

My brand new interairco filter was clogged after 6 flights. I'm going to shock my fuel station then fill my three jets and let them sit 24hours. Then I will treat the rest for normal storage, I need to find something in bulk I can add to new fuel as I get it.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:31 PM
FenderBean

Any way to clean the filters in the interairco if they do get slimed up?

Last edited by FenderBean; 08-03-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:01 AM
olnico

Any way to clean the filters in the interairco if they do get slimed up?
The shock treatment is supposed to break down slime into microscopic elements. Unless the Intairco filter is really, really thin, this should allow slime to flush through.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:21 AM
FenderBean

The shock treatment is supposed to break down slime into microscopic elements. Unless the Intairco filter is really, really thin, this should allow slime to flush through.
Okay thanks its the filter element I replaced in the clogged filter, since it was brand new I wanted to see if it could be saved. Thanks
Until now I have kinda taken fuel for granted so I bought me a nice Mr Filter to clean all the fuel in my jugs, added better filters from the tank to the fill line and now the anti slime. Its amazing how dirty the fuel can be straight from the pump.

Last edited by FenderBean; 08-05-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:35 AM
olnico

Its amazing how dirty the fuel can be straight from the pump.
Yes, indeed.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:13 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of dye can be added to my fuel so I know which has been treated?
Old 08-05-2016, 03:35 PM
FenderBean

Not sure about dye but u could always make a simple tag, I use the direction of the spot on the can for a reminder if I added oil or not. Would be cool if u could use a few drops of something to color it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.