Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rapid auto restart function for our turbines.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rapid auto restart function for our turbines.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 11:58 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rapid auto restart function for our turbines.

In view of the recent announcements from Xicoy and Kingtech about rapid auto restart systems for our turbines, I would like to start a discussion thread about this.

Richard posted a very relevant comment on the Kingtech ECU thread:

This is a very easy ECU function to implement - and could easily have been done years ago - so why wasn't it?

I think the answer was that while turbines were very new the assumption was that if the engine stopped there was probably a good reason for it - and the last thing you would want to do is pump more fuel in. Of course if it was a deliberate engine stop - as in a glider - then that is fine - but then there would also be (more or less by defintion) sufficient time for the engine to cool and a normal start to be made. This has of course always been possible for those ECUs with a 2 channel control system - eg Jetcat.

I think that what has happened recently is that we now believe that the turbine itself is reliable and the probable problem is something minor like an air bubble.

However I can forsee the use of this facility potentially being banned on safety grounds on insurance advice.

After all - if your problem is air bubbles - then you should probably fix your fuel system - and almost any other use sounds dangerous to me.

Richard Cant

Safety officer GTBA

My opinion on this is very much in line with Richard's. At this stage,
I don't see the point of having an auto restart function as a band aid to badly setup fuel systems.

Air bubbles = fix the problem.

Most other situations = danger of fire.

What if the engine flames out while throwing a giant flame at the back and the ECU is trying to re-inject fuel ( example in case of a bearing seizure or pipe implosion ) ?
What if the plane crashes, a fire condition starts and the ECU is pumping fuel into it?

What is your thoughts about this?

I would be very interested in getting the thoughts of the community about this. We've had this function available for years now but never activated it for hobby use. We actually got denied airworthiness due to this function on military ECUs.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:23 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think not knowing what cause a in-flight flameout and depending on a "auto restart function" to kick-in could go either good or bad...I could see a big distraction to the pilot waiting for a restart and losing valuable altitude and airspeed....Instead of flying a crippled plane back to the runway.

Last edited by basimpsn; 07-18-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:21 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In JetsMunt web site there are some useful notes regarding this subject when used on JM engines.

http://www.jetsmunt.com/wp/2016/07/1...tart-function/

Gaspar
Old 07-18-2016, 07:00 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Gaspar
In JetsMunt web site there are some useful notes regarding this subject when used on JM engines.

http://www.jetsmunt.com/wp/2016/07/1...tart-function/

Gaspar
Great. Thanks for the heads up on this, Gaspar.
I think that it is particularly wise to have this function disabled by default. Enabling this being at the responsibility of the user.

Two things where I 100% agree with you:

1. "Restart function is an emergency procedure and places a high stress on the engine ancillary components. The starter and ignitor are fed with extra power that is not used in normal startups, this places considerable more wear on them, also the engine is subjected to abrupt temperature changes that could shorten its life."

Yes, absolutely. There is a temperature surge in that situation. The combustion chamber and rear bearing see an abrupt rise of temperature, thus increasing the warp/ wear of these components.

• FLY YOUR PLANE. Leave the throttle at mid setting and fly your plane for a dead stick landing.
Yes. The priority is alway: "Aviate" then "Navigate"
"Aviate" meaning: keep your speed, control your roll to stay within reasonable banking limits.
"Navigate" meaning: within the available amount of energy left, try to bring the plane back to a portion of ground where a safe landing can be made. There must be some energy left for the flare.

I have a fantastic demonstration of this from Jorge Escalona:

https://vimeo.com/164908888 And Rei Gonzales:

https://vimeo.com/164937613
Old 07-18-2016, 07:41 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Oli I think this system is nice for things like unexplained flame outs or a small air bubble, in my opinion this is an emergency function. Something to get the turbine running again to give you a better chance of landing the jet and preventing possible crashes or even worse a major accident due to a crash. Flame outs happen even with proper fuel and vent systems.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:03 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Oli I think this system is nice for things like unexplained flame outs or a small air bubble, in my opinion this is an emergency function. Something to get the turbine running again to give you a better chance of landing the jet and preventing possible crashes or even worse a major accident due to a crash. Flame outs happen even with proper fuel and vent systems.
In other words, its a risk management issue. The risk of a dead stick landing versus the risk of an inflight restart.

In my experience, the vast majority of flameouts are fuel issues and the majority of those air bubbles.....so small that there is often no evidence of them afterwards. Not a huge risk to restart assuming temp, rpm etc., are within limits.

I would treat any flameout as though the engine was not going to restart. If it does, great but continue to land as soon as practical to trouble shoot. If you have the altitude/speed/position for a controlled dead stick and don't want the restart, just "shut down" the engine.

I think having the capability/option is good and let each person decide for themselves if or how to use it.

I also think telemetry is an invaluable tool in these situations to let you know the status of your turbine in real time.

Craig
Old 07-18-2016, 01:20 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Absolutely agree. An alert on the gsu at next start up would be great in case a restart was attempted by the ecu unknown to the pilot
Old 07-20-2016, 07:58 AM
cmp3cantrj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigG
In other words, its a risk management issue. The risk of a dead stick landing versus the risk of an inflight restart.

In my experience, the vast majority of flameouts are fuel issues and the majority of those air bubbles.....so small that there is often no evidence of them afterwards. Not a huge risk to restart assuming temp, rpm etc., are within limits.

I would treat any flameout as though the engine was not going to restart. If it does, great but continue to land as soon as practical to trouble shoot. If you have the altitude/speed/position for a controlled dead stick and don't want the restart, just "shut down" the engine.

I think having the capability/option is good and let each person decide for themselves if or how to use it.

I also think telemetry is an invaluable tool in these situations to let you know the status of your turbine in real time.

Craig
Looking at Gaspar's advice I observe the following Catch 22

Restart takes up to 15s.

So if you have less than 15 s worth of height/ speed restart isn't going t help.

If you have much more than 15s worth of speed/height then a safe deadstick landing should be easy.

If that isn't enough for you then you have no business flying a turbine model. I just looked back though a recent turbine flight on my onboard video - and the last complete (360degree) circuit and landing took only around 30s.

At best it might be useful for the larger models.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cmp3cantrj
Looking at Gaspar's advice I observe the following Catch 22

Restart takes up to 15s.

So if you have less than 15 s worth of height/ speed restart isn't going t help.

If you have much more than 15s worth of speed/height then a safe deadstick landing should be easy.

If that isn't enough for you then you have no business flying a turbine model. I just looked back though a recent turbine flight on my onboard video - and the last complete (360degree) circuit and landing took only around 30s.

At best it might be useful for the larger models.
If it took 15 seconds I would agree with you. The Kingtech new ECU thread just above this one says restart in 3 seconds after fuel interruption...in which case I would agree with myself.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can see in the videos that are out there, that the re-start is quite fast, almost instant depending on how the flameout and re start occur. About 3 times faster than I expected to see initially.

There is an obvious issue here that Oli brings up - this is the Elephant in the room. The mental state of expecting an auto re-start of a failed engine in flight, with the primary demands being proper flight path control and energy management of a dead stick high wing loading aircraft to a dead stick landing presents a severe conflict of intent for the untrained. It adds exponential complexity with the options a pilot has now been presented with. Some options being good, some bad, some likely not considered. Continue to land from the original plan? Add height for a new and better approach? Keep flying? How to handle an in flight fire or torch with no in flight fire fighting capability? Or unknowingly land while turbine is re starting causing other issues on the landing? Or worse yet the engine is starting while aircraft is breaking up?

For me I would like the option for in flight re starts. But knowing these issues make the flight substantially more complex in planning and execution as well as risk management, and being able to demonstrate the knowledge and judgment to handle this - it all has to be a part of the equation. I think for the majority of hobbyists who won't likely bother to consider the issues because "this their is their fun time" and may not want to deal with the demands that a more complex situation needs - Sadly, this may be too much to handle successfully if they happen to wind up in a more judgment dependent, time critical situation.

I would support the initial settings to be auto start off. Maybe the user could get those turned on via some sort of online training program and then the "codes" to get it turned on. Whatever that may entail. Just an idea. Keeps the un-inclined from biting off more than they can chew. But does not protect against stupidity, lack or recency or carelessness; nothing in a voluntary community ever really does.

Last edited by Eddie P; 07-20-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:16 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Kingtech new ECU thread just above this one says restart in 3 seconds after fuel interruption..
I am from Missouri on that claim...."Show Me"
Old 07-20-2016, 12:29 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I am from Missouri on that claim...."Show Me"
Hello Matt

I count 6 seconds but still pretty fast.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GUt4Kjm9oTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-20-2016, 12:39 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I feel gaspers article was very well written and totally agree. This is not for everyone and nor is it always going to have positive results.

I for one in my big F15 would not use this because the odds of it working in time are slim to none with it being a single. If I had a big twin I would for sure want it enabled or a slick sport jet that had a chance of being restarted.

The best thing is to not have a fuel problem in the first place. Sometimes things happen though. I recently had a UAT problem that was very hard to torubleshoot. Problem was when flipping inverted I would get a pop and on a few times a flameout. I tried running it on the ground inverted and was unable to duplicate. I also removed all the tanks and went through them and checked vents and could not find any problems. The UAT was sealed so only option was to just replace it. After replacing all problems went away. So I took the UAT apart and found the filter element was not properly secured when it was manufactured. This let fuel and tiny airbubbles bypass the UAT filter and cause problems. Auto restart would have helped me here but still at the end of the day I had to fix the problem but the only way to know if it was fixed was to fly it after each time I changed something.

Like anything it has pros and cons.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunradd
I feel gaspers article was very well written and totally agree. This is not for everyone and nor is it always going to have positive results.

I for one in my big F15 would not use this because the odds of it working in time are slim to none with it being a single. If I had a big twin I would for sure want it enabled or a slick sport jet that had a chance of being restarted.

The best thing is to not have a fuel problem in the first place. Sometimes things happen though. I recently had a UAT problem that was very hard to torubleshoot. Problem was when flipping inverted I would get a pop and on a few times a flameout. I tried running it on the ground inverted and was unable to duplicate. I also removed all the tanks and went through them and checked vents and could not find any problems. The UAT was sealed so only option was to just replace it. After replacing all problems went away. So I took the UAT apart and found the filter element was not properly secured when it was manufactured. This let fuel and tiny airbubbles bypass the UAT filter and cause problems. Auto restart would have helped me here but still at the end of the day I had to fix the problem but the only way to know if it was fixed was to fly it after each time I changed something.

Like anything it has pros and cons.
Evolution in anything we do in life is always scary. You will always have pro's and con's. But at the end of the day, It is up to the individuals to make those decisions. There are risk in everything we do in this hobby. If I have done everything I can do in my build to prevent a bad day, then hitting the switch is a no brainer for me. You will always have failures in anything we do.
1. If you don't tie wrap all your fuel lines properly, then you hold the risk of pouring fuel into the plane on re-start.
2. If you don't load test servos for binding, you run the risk of servo failures in flight.
3. If you don't properly test rx installations, you run the risk of interference.

I could go on and on, but the list should be familiar to those at this level of flying....

In short, it is a pretty awesome evolution of the ECU platform... COOL as heck to have this in the golf bag. You may never use it, but it's there if ya do!!!

Thanks for the opportunities gunradd
Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is a video clip of restart on my Super Viper with Ace Turbine

https://www.facebook.com/mike.d.lin/posts/10201670373318896 I later found that one of the flame out was caused air bubble in fuel filter and one by improper set up of acceleration adjustment.

Mike.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:28 PM
stevekott

What about a restart after a failsafe shutdown?

Recently I lost my FeiBao F4. I was out pretty far to the left. There was a small tower out there with a dish antenna on it .. and I'm guessing it might have been a 2.4ghz transmitter. Long story short telemetry said I lost signal for 1.5 seconds barely long enough to feel anything on the sticks but long enough to put the turbine into a Fail Safe shutdown (per ECU). I was flying back towards me for 15 seconds but had to make a belly landing in the desert. Looked ok from a distance but busted up the nose, wings, canopy too much damage to repair.

To me it seems like it's about 50/50 with the results from a flameout. Some of my best landings have even been with a flamed out engine. But if you can't make the runway your chances of tearing up the airplane are pretty high,

So will these new re-start systems re-start after a fail-safe, once the signal returns?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by gunradd
Hello Matt

I count 6 seconds but still pretty fast.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GUt4Kjm9oTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Well obviously, a tiny 60 size turbine will restart in seconds due to the little inertia of the rotating assembly and the shorter ramp response.
But this will be multiplied by 2 to 4 for larger sizes like 100 to 200 N...
Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by stevekott
What about a restart after a failsafe shutdown?

Recently I lost my FeiBao F4. I was out pretty far to the left. There was a small tower out there with a dish antenna on it .. and I'm guessing it might have been a 2.4ghz transmitter. Long story short telemetry said I lost signal for 1.5 seconds barely long enough to feel anything on the sticks but long enough to put the turbine into a Fail Safe shutdown (per ECU). I was flying back towards me for 15 seconds but had to make a belly landing in the desert. Looked ok from a distance but busted up the nose, wings, canopy too much damage to repair.

To me it seems like it's about 50/50 with the results from a flameout. Some of my best landings have even been with a flamed out engine. But if you can't make the runway your chances of tearing up the airplane are pretty high,

So will these new re-start systems re-start after a fail-safe, once the signal returns?
If the turbine has dropped outside of the restart envelope when the signal is regained, it will not restart.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:11 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by mikedenilin
Here is a video clip of restart on my Super Viper with Ace Turbine

https://www.facebook.com/mike.d.lin/posts/10201670373318896 I later found that one of the flame out was caused air bubble in fuel filter and one by improper set up of acceleration adjustment.

Mike.
Well, typical example.
On this video, you got a flame out. Announced it, but you didn't try to turn back to the runway to make a dead stick landing. You turned away from it, kept the nose high flying straight ahead till the auto restart system kicks in. What if it would have kicked in while you were crash-landing the plane or during a possible stall?
This system took you out of the essential loop prevailing in aircraft emergency condidtion:
1. Aviate
2. Navigate
3. Deal with the technical
Old 07-21-2016, 11:25 PM
olnico

It is interesting to see how this new function is adding a new dimension in remote controlled models flying.

It is not challenging the pure flying skills of the pilot.
It is challenging his flight management skills.

It will require him to assess priorities in a very short time and make a sound decision within seconds, re-evaluating it in a decisional loop, while keeping the energy of the aircraft and elaborating a safe trajectory to the ground. The reassessment loop will have to be based on the perception of the engine state ( emitted sound,or RPM/ EGT with telemetry), aircraft energy, remaining height, extrapolated trajectory ending point. Very, very complex for a non professional pilot, not trained to this routine.

Up to now, engine failure scenarii would end up with a relatively cold engine getting back to the ground, relatively close to the runway. From now on, we are going to see a lot of models getting back to the ground away from the runway, in a UAS ( Undesired Aircraft State ) with engines at 700 c+.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:18 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

For me I'm thinking I will need to have good discipline because in a flame out situation especially with a heavy scale jet it requires immediate response by the pilot. If I hesitate and set up for a restart and it doesn't happen I just messed up and I'm ditching. I have a restart capable motor coming and these are things I am thinking about now.
Vin...
Old 07-22-2016, 05:55 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that if you had a twin configuration where the motors are far apart like a C-17 for instance, you would want auto restart instead of possibly losing the jet in a turn.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:19 AM
cmp3cantrj

If it took 15 seconds I would agree with you. The Kingtech new ECU thread just above this one says restart in 3 seconds after fuel interruption...in which case I would agree with myself.
If you look at the Jets Munt demo videos you will see that it takes much less than 15 seconds. HOWEVER the advice of the guy that made the video is that you need 15 seconds of height for the restart to be useful.

Frankly both Ace Jets and Kingtech are comparatively new to the business. Gaspar has been making ECUs for around 18 years (before Jets Munt he made ECUs for Artes jet and his ECUs are used in many other turbines - including Kingtech until recently). Consequently I would trust him to have experimented more throughly with this than the others.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:27 AM
cmp3cantrj

Originally Posted by olnico
Well, typical example.
On this video, you got a flame out. Announced it, but you didn't try to turn back to the runway to make a dead stick landing. You turned away from it, kept the nose high flying straight ahead till the auto restart system kicks in. What if it would have kicked in while you were crash-landing the plane or during a possible stall?
This system took you out of the essential loop prevailing in aircraft emergency condidtion:
1. Aviate
2. Navigate
3. Deal with the technical
Actually I reckon a deadstick landing would have been easy enough from the point you flamed out. You had plenty of height !

If the restart had failed you would have been in trouble, if it had worked but taken a bit too long you would have been in worse trouble!
Old 07-22-2016, 06:31 AM
cmp3cantrj

Originally Posted by stevekott
The Jets Munt one won't. There is a good reason for that too - which is that it is likely that the signal might fail again quite soon - and the last thing you want is for the restart to be interrupted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.