Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

what are the benefits of running jet a over diesel?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

what are the benefits of running jet a over diesel?

Old 07-21-2016, 06:31 PM
jesse2357
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what are the benefits of running jet a over diesel?

for turbines capable of both what are the benefits?
Old 07-21-2016, 06:40 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no benefits in running Jet A over diesel. Diesel is way cheaper, very convenient and easy to get no matter where you are and has more power.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:26 AM
EDFCrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely there is a benefit of "no Fire ball" when a model crashes when running on diesel? i know its not something that one factors in when flying models, but id rather get back a smashed mess then a pile of ash.
Has anyone ever seen a fire from a model that crashed running on diesel?
Old 07-22-2016, 04:43 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I understand Jet A is more refined, which leads to less carbon(?) build up inside the engine. This leading to longer life / less maintenance over time.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:50 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
I understand Jet A is more refined, which leads to less carbon(?) build up inside the engine. This leading to longer life / less maintenance over time.
When motors come in for service its the opposite of that. Also the service guys hate beta smell and prefer diesel.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:07 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This is the first time I have heard that diesel is less volatile than kero / jet A?? Its probably just luck because all three have the same auto ignition flash point. I stay away from diesel because it is very oily and smells more than kero. Not easy to clean up when spilled.
Vin...

Originally Posted by EDFCrazy
Surely there is a benefit of "no Fire ball" when a model crashes when running on diesel? i know its not something that one factors in when flying models, but id rather get back a smashed mess then a pile of ash.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:31 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

It may be the extra oil in diesel that makes it less volatile, but it is less likely to burn in a crash.

Diesel has 97% less sulfur than Jet A, so your turbine will run cleaner on diesel.

Jet A has additives that are very harmful to humans and the environment. Either getting Jet A on your skin or breathing the exhaust. Damage to the liver, decreased immune response, impaired performance on neurological function tests and impaired hearing.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:19 AM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Since space is usually at a premium inside jets, It would make sense to put more energy in the same amount of space. You will get more power and or longer flight times. You can do that with diesel. But nothing is free, you pay an increased weight penalty with diesel.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:26 AM
mauryr

Originally Posted by EDFCrazy
Yes, more than once.
But I think it was started by smashed lipos rather than the fuel itself
Old 07-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Vincent

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jofunk
Since space is usually at a premium inside jets, It would make sense to put more energy in the same amount of space. You will get more power and or longer flight times. You can do that with diesel. But nothing is free, you pay an increased weight penalty with diesel.
Yup...diesel is 7.25lbs per gallon and kero is 6.82lbs
Vin...
Old 07-22-2016, 08:02 AM
marquisvns

On our test benches both US and in Taiwan, Diesel yielded up to 5% higher thrust, while up to 10% less in consumption.

If you mustn't use Diesel, please consider Kero rather than Jet A. Dirk, Vera and myself don't tolerate the stench of Jet A well. Also, make sure you do not use contaminated Jet A from fuel dumps, many engine running problems corrected by switching to Diesel, Kero or pump Jet A.

Regards,
Barry
Old 07-22-2016, 08:37 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by marquisvns
On our test benches both US and in Taiwan, Diesel yielded up to 5% higher thrust, while up to 10% less in consumption.

If you mustn't use Diesel, please consider Kero rather than Jet A. Dirk, Vera and myself don't tolerate the stench of Jet A well. Also, make sure you do not use contaminated Jet A from fuel dumps, many engine running problems corrected by switching to Diesel, Kero or pump Jet A.

Regards,
Barry
Yep, I use K-1 from the local Sheetz. I've also been able to find K-1 at a place near to all of the flyins I attend. I perfer the smell of K-1 over jet A and diesel. I also like the lack of smoke of K-1... The $3 - $4 per gallon price of K-1 vs. the $2 to $3 per gallon price of diesel is very much *not* the expense I worry about flying jets...

Besides, I make up more than that cost by getting my oil from oil-store.com...

Bob
Old 07-22-2016, 09:21 AM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

Diesel is just as capable of making a fire ball as any other fuel, if the crash conditions are right, and the ruptured fuel tank causes a fuel mist followed by an ignition source, game over - Fire ball.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:59 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Found this on YouTube

This guy i s c r a z y !
And yes atomized diesel will make a big fireball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10C7FSbE
Old 07-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I used to burn Jet-A until the EPA told all the FBO's in the USA that they were not to sell aviation fuel over the counter going after the folks who used Avgas in cars, snowmobiles, jet ski's and such. The notice didn't say just gas so they won't sell you Jet-A anymore.

I never wanted to run diesel as it smells pretty strong and as mentioned, it's damn hard to clean up (I have a diesel powered car and a diesel powered pickup) and watching the guys I know now who use diesel in their model turbines, I don't care for the black smoke either.

Enter Kerosene which is available around here from some of the bulk plants. I like it a bunch better. It's the least offensive smell of either Jet-A, which I didn't realize how bad it stunk until I started with the Kerosene, or diesel. I just take my five gallon jugs down there and mix the turbine oil in as they get filled up.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I buy my Kero at the pump

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2016, 02:48 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can make fuel on the way to the field. Stop at Shell to get diesel, stop at AutoZone and get my TWC3 oil.
No more visiting a pissy FBO to buy jet a, nor paying $2-qt for BP2000.

Besides, the future is bio diesel run turbines, :-)
Old 07-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry if the question has been asked before but what's Jetcat's policy on using diesel?
The engine is a gas start P-60. Warranty is not an issue, that's long gone!

Experiences of others?

Thanks, John.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:22 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Spill drops of diesel on shoes smell is gone before work...spill jet a and you going back home... Diesel is slightly heavier my experience is also packs more of a punch for the engine ... Diesel is down the street... Jet a what ever miles away

Jmhe
Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 PM
sc0tt

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I run pump K1 kero as well because it is clean, consistent and almost no odor. Diesel stinks and the quality in my area varies station to station and even at different times of the year. Also have to figure in diesel making your pump work harder as Gaspar points out in this old but very informative thread...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post10483345
Old 07-22-2016, 07:07 PM
marquisvns

Originally Posted by sc0tt
......... Also have to figure in diesel making your pump work harder as Gaspar points out in this old but very informative thread...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post10483345
Sorry, but that's not true at all through out our entire engine range. However, with the 300N class prototype that we are running at the factory, the difference in efficiency between the two fuels is negligible.

Barry
Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all my life I have never even seen Kero at a pump. Must be a northern thing. I'm jealous of you if you have one nearby.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:29 AM
josecilurzo

We running our turbines on diesel, until this saturday the run time of our 7 engines are 210 hs, 2 jetcats back from service ( after 50 hs on P80se and 28 on p140rx ) without any problem or damage or cocking, all bearings, ngv, turbine and combustion chamber, absolutely clean.
the engines has more power, and starts fast ( litle bit more seconds than jeta on fuel ramp ), fuel comsuption same or less than jeta.
but, after many hours running the engines i mixed 70/30 ( diesel / jeta ), less smoke.
4% oil mix ( today mobil dte 32 ).
i have pics of my bearings after 50 hs. In one word : perfects!!

jose
Old 07-23-2016, 06:03 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I don't like the smell of diesel burning and it smokes. Other than that I can't find any reason not to use it.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:30 AM
josecilurzo

The bearing after 53 hs run time on Jetcat P80SE ( 123 hs total run time ).

jose
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	730
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2174026  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.