Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

what are the benefits of running jet a over diesel?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

what are the benefits of running jet a over diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jet A is always Jet A. Diesel is always a local blend with great differences over the world.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:38 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
In all my life I have never even seen Kero at a pump. Must be a northern thing. I'm jealous of you if you have one nearby.
They are everywhere around me!
They also had Kero pumps just down the road from KY Jets, so it not just a northern thing
Old 07-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So.... the fuel you can get local that will run your turbine is good. The fuel you can get local that runs your turbine and don't smell like ****(ok so S H I T is censored....) wins even more! Over here diesel have a blend of 5% oil(rape seed) which makes it perfectly fine for our use straight out of the tap!
Old 07-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Of course the situation may be different in other countries but in Oz we have two types of pump diesel.

Truck diesel and premium diesel, the difference:

"The Vortex Premium diesel (Caltex brand, other brands have their own catchy names) has a fuel system cleaner to help keep components like the injectors clean, plus an anti-foaming agent to aid fast-filling, and a perfume so it doesn’t smell as bad if you get it on your hands while filling your car."

Obviously that's the one I'll try once my Jet A is all used up.

Emailed Wren, Supersport should be o.k., they couldn't comment on my manual start 44 but suggested just give it a try.

My main reason for trying diesel is convenience, not price.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:10 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry RCISFUN, but PA and KY are northern in a south Louisiana Cajun's dictionary. Just sayin.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 AM
sfr292

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
Jet A is always Jet A. Diesel is always a local blend with great differences over the world.

The exact opposite is actually true. There's far less regulations and quality checks placed on Jet-A compared to diesel.

I'm actually surprised that very few have done the research on this topic and how easily information on it can be attained. Many of the posts are more subjective than objective, have a look at facts and make the choice you want.

Here is a brief summary of regulations behind diesel (relevant to those of us in the U.S.) Unlike other countries we do not have premium and standard on diesel, just #1, #2, and Blend, which the only difference is the amount of paraffin refinement to aid in temperature gelling of the fuel, which is only determined based upon location and average winter time temperatures.

https://www.epa.gov/diesel-fuel-stan...ds-rulemakings

JET-A isn't Governed by many standards, particularly the levels of Hydro-Carbons (which is a direct link to cocking, as well as energy potential density) The following Link has many different standards as to which JET-A was tested to determine this. The one thing that is heavily inspected and regulated is the gelling properties of the fuel to maintain a level of reliability for aircraft operating at altitude to minimize failures. Be sure to give the ASTM test standards a brief read as to what is important to you.

https://www.astm.org/Standards/D1655.htm

As to the smell, difficultly to clean, and smoking properties, again it's subjective. To each their own on what your personal tastes are with each, however I can speak to the smoking properties of diesel. Diesel smoking is directly related to burning temperature and air:fuel ratios. The richer the mixture, the more heavily it smokes as the hydro-carbon chain isn't fully broken and forms particulates which we see as smoke. More refinement of the fuel ramps is a possible solution if smoking is excessive, however it's been my observation that what little smoking from running diesel is upon shutdown, no other observable smoke has been seen at any other times of operation.

Hope this helps

V/R
Ben