Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

180 motor opinions

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

180 motor opinions

Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 180 motor opinions

Gents,

I live in Las Vegas NV which is at 2k feet MSL and our DA can easily hit 6-9k during our summer months. I just purchased a BV PNP F-16 and need to purchase a motor for it. I know 140 is the recommended but have found a size larger to be prudent during the hot months here and judicious use of the left stick to be smart/safe during cooler months. I have no need to be the fastest kid on the block or any such nonsense

my intent is to purchase a 180 size motor and eventually slide it over to a BV F-100F. My interests are, in priority order: reliability. Maintainability (ie supported). Price. Performance. Ease of install.

my options as I see them are:

-Grab a JetCat 180 rxi that I know about for about $2500. My fear is that with Todd just getting on his feet it may not be supportable at this time. Easy install however

-buy a KT180. I've heard they're shipping the new auto-relight ecu. Price is higher than the JC but service seems outstanding. I've heard they've struggled with the 210 blowing up, but know very little about it personally. I've seen great things out of their small block motors...are the medium big blocks a safe bet? The diesel thing sounds awful nice too

-Velka. I know almost nothing. The install seems awesome and I know Tim's a great guy (as are Barry and Todd of course). My fear is the need to go to Czech for repairs and servicing. I understand the 50 hr interval vs 25 but that's a LONG way to go

what am I missing? Your opinions? Please let's not make this a flame-fest

thanks in advance

Dave
Old 07-25-2016, 11:38 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

Buy one of the P-180Rxi-B motors.
Brushless motors on pumps are the future. Since most people keep turbines a good time and just swap airframes its a good investment.

Dave
Old 07-26-2016, 03:59 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a SkyMaster 1/6 f16, with a 210 in it, and it will easily accelerate my 16 going vertical. I have never heard of anyone having problems with 210s "blowing up". My engine runs flawless, and is a monster. I also have a flying buddy with the bvm pnp f16 (jet legend), he has a K140 in his and it will high alpha, and I can tell you from direct hands on experience, it is WAAAY lighter than the Skymaster, I don't think the Bvm (JL) would live very long with a 210 unless
you can keep that left stick under reasonable control. If you are set on the 180, there are a ton of king techs pushing jets around, kingtech has proven itself to be a reliable manufacturer with great Power, Quick spool up, excellent reliability, as well as outstanding customer service and when you do need any work done it is a quick turnaround. Barry is a stand-up guy who will take care of his customers.And Dirk is a great guy who will help anytime if you have an issue. This has been my personal experience.

Last edited by raron455; 07-26-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:44 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello Dave
Kingtech has just lowered the prices of all our engines and yes they come with the new ECU and pump system.
We did have a problems with some gen2 K210s. We are working through that. All the Gen 1 and now the new Gen 3 K210s are rock solid. Also its the same size as a 180 size motor and will work with many more aircraft types. I am flying a 75lb F15E with a single K210.

A new K210 is now $2990.00 with the new ECU and pump. And our engines prefer diesel

Originally Posted by ozief16
Gents,

I live in Las Vegas NV which is at 2k feet MSL and our DA can easily hit 6-9k during our summer months. I just purchased a BV PNP F-16 and need to purchase a motor for it. I know 140 is the recommended but have found a size larger to be prudent during the hot months here and judicious use of the left stick to be smart/safe during cooler months. I have no need to be the fastest kid on the block or any such nonsense

my intent is to purchase a 180 size motor and eventually slide it over to a BV F-100F. My interests are, in priority order: reliability. Maintainability (ie supported). Price. Performance. Ease of install.

-Grab a JetCat 180 rxi that I know about for about $2500. My fear is that with Todd just getting on his feet it may not be supportable at this time. Easy install however

-buy a KT180. I've heard they're shipping the new auto-relight ecu. Price is higher than the JC but service seems outstanding. I've heard they've struggled with the 210 blowing up, but know very little about it personally. I've seen great things out of their small block motors...are the medium big blocks a safe bet? The diesel thing sounds awful nice too

-Velka. I know almost nothing. The install seems awesome and I know Tim's a great guy (as are Barry and Todd of course). My fear is the need to go to Czech for repairs and servicing. I understand the 50 hr interval vs 25 but that's a LONG way to go

thanks in advance

Dave
Old 07-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Atj 190sv?
Old 07-26-2016, 06:41 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love Kingtech my self have a few, The only other question I would ask you is what other brands do you currently have?

There have been some oil wars going on as of late, Unless im wrong at one time Kigtech and Jetcat Both had a wide range of oils there would allowed user to use, but now they both have there own individual oils that you can only get from them and must be used in there motors to keep your warranty, So I would not want 5gal fuel jug for a Jetcat, and one for my Kingtech motors.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:19 AM
JoeJr1485

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Hello Dave
Kingtech has just lowered the prices of all our engines and yes they come with the new ECU and pump system.
We did have a problems with some gen2 K210s. We are working through that. All the Gen 1 and now the new Gen 3 K210s are rock solid. Also its the same size as a 180 size motor and will work with many more aircraft types. I am flying a 75lb F15E with a single K210.

A new K210 is now $2990.00 with the new ECU and pump. And our engines prefer diesel

What!!! Now I have to get another one soon haha. Thanks Kingtech for that!!! Yet again another great position Kingtech is in..

Joe
Old 07-26-2016, 07:30 AM
ozief16

Guys,
Thanks for the help!

i have always run Jet Cat in the past but after a recent fire I'm the Phoenix here so I can go any way I desire

Barry, thanks for the honesty, that means a LOT. Incredible pricing. If the 210 is the same physical size/weight as the 180 is there any reason to go 180 if I can limit the top end through the ECU correct? I also imagine its published somewhere x rpm equals y thrust? Confirm that shipping now is the Gen 3s with new ECUs? Kinda of a Gen 3.5 if you will? Are these still brushed pumps (refernce the 180rxib that Dave mentions above). The new ecu will auto relight in The event of a failure?

thanks again guys

Dave
Old 07-26-2016, 07:48 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also take a look at the Jets Munt Merlin 200xbl.

By Velka do you mean the PBS TJ20? This isn't available in model form any more.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:55 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Gents,

thanks in advance

Dave
Dave,

One of the guys here in Richmond as a PNP F-16 with a 180 RXI. He only has two flights on it so far, and in both, the gear wouldn't come up, so he flew around with the gear down. In that configuration, the 180RXi was *not* too much motor and I think he was glad for the extra thrust.

As far as JetCat support, you know the reputation of Dreamworks and the new JetCat guy, George DelMoral, is coming up to speed quickly. He replaced the igniter in my P-120SX (which requires disassembly and re-balancing) and helped me adjust the start parameters at Ky Jets to eliminate the starting flames, so he's on top of it. As long as they can get parts from JetCat Germany, I think JetCat service will be a non-issue...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 07-26-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:56 AM
gunradd

Hey Dave

Yes Gen 3 210s have been shipping for some time now and are rock solid. Yes they have auto restart and also the new function where a temp sensor can fail and the engine still run up to 80% power so you dont have to dead stick. At this point I see no reason to go with a 180.

Kristopher Gunter
Guys,
Thanks for the help!

i have always run Jet Cat in the past but after a recent fire I'm the Phoenix here so I can go any way I desire

Barry, thanks for the honesty, that means a LOT. Incredible pricing. If the 210 is the same physical size/weight as the 180 is there any reason to go 180 if I can limit the top end through the ECU correct? I also imagine its published somewhere x rpm equals y thrust? Confirm that shipping now is the Gen 3s with new ECUs? Kinda of a Gen 3.5 if you will? Are these still brushed pumps (refernce the 180rxib that Dave mentions above). The new ecu will auto relight in The event of a failure?

thanks again guys

Dave
Old 07-26-2016, 11:35 AM
ozief16

Barry,

Thank you for the data. I appreciate it and it sounds like the 210 is an awesome option if I limit it on the high end

I heard from Tim Redlemen today that Velka is still a very viable option. The data about them previsouly mentioned was incorrect. Anyone have real-world experience with them?

Dave
Old 07-26-2016, 11:48 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

In the not too distant future I will let ya know what I think of its performance. There's only one big block motor out there lil fella but it will likely rip the wings off your pending jet. Choices.....a good problem to have.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well I'm confused by gunradd's response.

I talked to Barry just the other day after Kentucky jets and he told me that the new ECU's are only coming on the new 140 size motor right now which is also smaller than the one it replaced. He also said there was a price decrease coming.

So which is it guys? I get one answer from Barry and something else from gunradd (Curtis is it?).

Now all that said; I saw one of the Horizon guys fly that F-16 at Joe Nall a year ago with a 180 size engine and it was really nice but it cost me some money... lol

I have one of the F-16's and it's going to my builder guy in a week or so and it's got a JetCat P-180RXi going in it. When I order the two, Bob called me about it saying the engine was too big, but we had a full scale pilot to full scale pilot discussion about Density Altitude and he said it might work out okay. I got the JetCat because it has the altitude compensating ECU because as the OP posted, it'll get pretty high on the DA around here in the summer since we're already at 4500' ASL.

So if the KingTech has the new ECU that'd be a really great way to go. If not, JetCat and Jet Central both have altitude compensating ECU's now.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:15 PM
ozief16

Kristopher,

Sorry, I was calling you Barry. My apologies!

My thinking is that if the motor is the same physical size/weight is rather have the additional thrust options. I know what BV is afraid of and we've all seen it before. That F16 is not built to be the 250mph machine and I'm guessing it wouldn't deal with that too long

Again, thanks guys
Old 07-26-2016, 01:34 PM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
JetCat and Jet Central both have altitude compensating ECU's now.
I am confused: what can the ECU do in an engine with a fixed geometry compressor to compensate for altitude?
As far as I knew, all the ecu can do is read some parameters and decide how much fuel goes into the engine at any given time. It can't really change the air-fuel mixture when running at a constant RPM, which I supposed was what is necessary as the environmental pressure changes?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:47 PM
gunradd

NP Dave.

If its the BVM F16 then a K210 will be fine just need to not abuse it. We have a K210 now in the Kingtech demo BVM F6 and its great but we fly it loaded with full ordnance. A lot of other customers also have 210s in the BVM 1/6 F16.

By far the best engine combo I have seen for this plane though is the new K160. Its a smaller can motor and great on fuel. Using the K210 you will need to convert the smoke tanks on the plane to fuel then its perfect fuel capacity.

Kristopher,

Sorry, I was calling you Barry. My apologies!

My thinking is that if the motor is the same physical size/weight is rather have the additional thrust options. I know what BV is afraid of and we've all seen it before. That F16 is not built to be the 250mph machine and I'm guessing it wouldn't deal with that too long

Again, thanks guys

Last edited by gunradd; 07-26-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:49 PM
gunradd

Zeeb from what I understand everything from this point on will be the new ECU. All the inventory is pretty much gone with the xicoy and all new engines should have the new ECU. Barry is waiting on the first shipment of new engines with the new ECU and also I think a few of the new smaller K140s will also be comming.

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well I'm confused by gunradd's response.

I talked to Barry just the other day after Kentucky jets and he told me that the new ECU's are only coming on the new 140 size motor right now which is also smaller than the one it replaced. He also said there was a price decrease coming.

So which is it guys? I get one answer from Barry and something else from gunradd (Curtis is it?).

Now all that said; I saw one of the Horizon guys fly that F-16 at Joe Nall a year ago with a 180 size engine and it was really nice but it cost me some money... lol

I have one of the F-16's and it's going to my builder guy in a week or so and it's got a JetCat P-180RXi going in it. When I order the two, Bob called me about it saying the engine was too big, but we had a full scale pilot to full scale pilot discussion about Density Altitude and he said it might work out okay. I got the JetCat because it has the altitude compensating ECU because as the OP posted, it'll get pretty high on the DA around here in the summer since we're already at 4500' ASL.

So if the KingTech has the new ECU that'd be a really great way to go. If not, JetCat and Jet Central both have altitude compensating ECU's now.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Since there will be a new proprietary Kingtech ecu how will people get telemetry out of the ecu? I am using the xicoy telemetry modules currently.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 PM
JoelP
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have a new bvm F16 looking for a motor. How is the vertical performance with the K160, smoke system removed? Is the K160 with the new ecu stuff In stock?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

I will have a AMT Pegasus hp in my pnp, it's at 38 lbs thrust and the bird weighs 33 lbs dry. But we are also at altitude of 3000. Will also have the wings full.
What scheme did you do Dave
Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 PM
JoeJr1485

Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson
Since there will be a new proprietary Kingtech ecu how will people get telemetry out of the ecu? I am using the xicoy telemetry modules currently.
I am wondering the same thing. The Xicoy works great with my Jeti DS16.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:48 PM
roger.alli

Dave,

I am using the Merlin M200 XBL in my F-100, which has performed flawlessly (for all three flights to date). I have it dialled back to 90% full rpm, but it is still very strong and way more power than the Hun needs.. The residue thrust is no problem as the Hun is very draggy in the landing configuration..

No doubt Todd can fill you in on the reliability, maintainability, price of the Merlin engines USA..

I can’t say too much else except these brushless pumps and starters seem to be very good, whichever brand you choose.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:13 PM
In the Haze

Originally Posted by gunradd
Hello Dave

Apologies for the off topic. How does one know which generation one has? I have a couple of 210's.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:10 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson
With the new ECU I am hearing spectrum JR and jeti will all work.

Futaba will not work for now. Futaba won't even return Barry's emails or calls so I guess they don't care about their customers. So until they start working with us its a no go with futaba.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.