Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Electron retracts problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Electron retracts problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

@VK96

A couple of questions: Are you using the bus input or the normal servo mode? Do you have the nose wheel gyro activated or is "Gyro gain" set to zero in the "Steering setup" screen?

Thomas
Old 09-14-2017, 08:12 AM
VK96

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running normal mode..when trying EX Bus the controller was acting erratic. In that case not only was the NWS acting up, but retraction/extension was also erratic. FWIW I have another GS200 in my other Ultra Flash, and that controller also acts erratic in EX Bus mode.
I'm running gyro gain for both steering and braking. Values in the 25-35% range...will have to check specifically.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:16 AM
bluelevel

I noticed that you also have a Cortex gyro installed in the plane. Is the steering input a separate channel coming directly from the CB200 or are you using the rudder output as the steering input that goes through the Cortex first? Then you would have two gyros in series that might cause problems! Have you tried deactivating the steering gyro by setting the gain to zero?

Thomas
The following users liked this post:
andypnz (10-28-2020)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 AM
VK96

NWS is a dedicated channel and not run through the cortex. I've not tried reducing the gyro gain back to zero, but can the next time it happens. The issue is random...just begins right after powering up. Could go 20 power cycles with no issues and then all the sudden it'll occur. Just curious, have you been able to run EX Bus to the GS200? Found it odd that both controllers responded the same way in that configuration.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:02 AM
LenAlessi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that a strong signal from the TX being in close proximity to the controller when it is powered-up is scrambling things? I once had a controller that would lose it's proportional braking if the TX was too close when it was powered up. After I figured it out it never happened again while keeping the TX away or having my body between the TX & controller.
Len
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by VK96
NWS is a dedicated channel and not run through the cortex. I've not tried reducing the gyro gain back to zero, but can the next time it happens. The issue is random...just begins right after powering up. Could go 20 power cycles with no issues and then all the sudden it'll occur. Just curious, have you been able to run EX Bus to the GS200? Found it odd that both controllers responded the same way in that configuration.
I had several GS-200 controllers and now the newer model with the black casing, but never tried the bus setup. I would try to reduce the gyro gain to zero on the nose wheel to see if it's the gyro function or something else.

Thomas
Old 09-14-2017, 12:49 PM
VK96

Originally Posted by LenAlessi
Is it possible that a strong signal from the TX being in close proximity to the controller when it is powered-up is scrambling things? I once had a controller that would lose it's proportional braking if the TX was too close when it was powered up. After I figured it out it never happened again while keeping the TX away or having my body between the TX & controller.
Len
Thanks Len...that's an interesting suggestion. In all cases the TX has been close to the jet. I'll try moving the TX away next time.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:04 PM
VK96

Originally Posted by bluelevel
I had several GS-200 controllers and now the newer model with the black casing, but never tried the bus setup. I would try to reduce the gyro gain to zero on the nose wheel to see if it's the gyro function or something else.

Thomas
I've got the new ones as well...I'll try reducing the gain to zero next time and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Reviving this old thread, only because it seems there are a few Electron Retract experts out there.

I just picked up a set of ER-50s. The ER-40s I have in my Rebel work great. With the 40s, one can individually operate the retracts by applying a voltage (6-7 v) to the retract unit itself... And just reverse polarity to retract to the opposite direction. CAN THAT BE DONE still with the ER-50s?

Reason I ask, is because there is a little tag on the actuator housing that states "Don't connect direct to battery"...
Old 12-24-2018, 05:53 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

You can but you MUST stop before it reaches the stalled point.

Last edited by causeitflies; 12-24-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:47 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes ....
Use a 4.8 volt Nicad pack if you have one - works great for setup purposes
Old 12-24-2018, 06:47 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

I made a special gear test harness from a Y connector to do just that and easily reverse polarity. The key is to remove battery power just as the gear strut movement stops in either up or down position. The drive screw is still turning and has not hit the stop/stall point yet. Its easy but you must pay attention to remove battery power before the screw drive stops and stalls.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:43 AM
FlorianDo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to use manual controller from electron for installation and field assembly of the wings to the fuselage. Spending 40 bucks or so to avoid burned retracts was worth the price to me..
Old 12-25-2018, 04:00 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by FlorianDo
I prefer to use manual controller from electron for installation and field assembly of the wings to the fuselage. Spending 40 bucks or so to avoid burned retracts was worth the price to me..
+1
Old 12-25-2018, 04:09 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
I made a special gear test harness from a Y connector to do just that and easily reverse polarity. The key is to remove battery power just as the gear strut movement stops in either up or down position. The drive screw is still turning and has not hit the stop/stall point yet. Its easy but you must pay attention to remove battery power before the screw drive stops and stalls.

https://www.electron-retracts.com/manual-controller/
Old 12-25-2018, 01:49 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks for the input, guys. I had also made a test harness for my ER-40s, in which I used an old 5 cell JR NiCd pack. I just tested it on my new gear and they work fine with the ER-50s. I needed to actuate them to ensure one of my sets was indeed a 100 degree rotation setup.

I didn't even think to look up what their manual controller was for... Now I know! Thanks Florian! On my next order, I may pick one up, just to be on the safe side!

Have a good Christmas, guys!
Old 12-26-2018, 11:34 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my controller within a couple days ordering from JAG RC/Electron Retracts USA
makes install/set-up very easy
https://jag-rc.com/shop?olsPage=prod...ual-controller

https://www.facebook.com/electronretractsusa/
Old 12-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree. That manual controller is a really nice tool for operating the retracts in situations where they need to be down in order to remove the wings but then need to be retracted for transport of the wings. The same is true when assembling the plane if the gear needs to be down to plug the wings in.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sc0tt
Got my controller within a couple days ordering from JAG RC/Electron Retracts USA
makes install/set-up very easy
https://jag-rc.com/shop?olsPage=prod...ual-controller

https://www.facebook.com/electronretractsusa/
I was looking for a place to buy the controller but these links had not been posted yet, so I got a hold of Scott Marr and he gave me Greg's email address. I did not know he had a business and website.Greg replied with a link to the controller on his website, I got one ordered last night and he shipped it today. Can't beat that for service.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

I did not know the manual controller was available till this thread. I'm ordering one tonight.
Thanks for the info.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:58 AM
jjantti

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spuetz
Hi everyone,

does anyone have a good starting value from experience for setting the gyro values to the differential brakes? I'm using it in a C&C Aermacchi M 346. I don't want to mix brakes with steering, just want to keep it straight when braking. My brakes tend to have different braking power, left and right and the jet tended to veer to one side when I applied the brakes. But what do I start with? 20%? 50%? more?
Hi Spuetz

I have same M346 equipped with Xicoy LGC-15 which I believe is about the same as GS-200. I have no veering on brakes. It is actually very stable... just needs to have friction on tyres. I have set up that has low braking force and little gyro correction. I guessed these parameters last spring and haven't made any corrections since:
Pulse ratio 1/5, Steering mix 10%, Gyro mix 10%. Center 0%, Gain 100%, Gyro gain -10%

Hope this helps, Jyri
Old 12-24-2019, 11:07 AM
awanx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends, I have a set of er40 ( reversible) controlled by a GS200. One motor in one of the retracts went faulty and I ordered a new one. Its installed now, but a I face a strange problem in that retract. It is moving opposite to the other two. I have checked everything I the tr union is installed in the proper way. I did not find anyway option in GS200 to prevent this . Or to reverse one retract. Can anyone help?
Old 12-24-2019, 11:09 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by awanx
Friends, I have a set of er40 ( reversible) controlled by a GS200. One motor in one of the retracts went faulty and I ordered a new one. Its installed now, but a I face a strange problem in that retract. It is moving opposite to the other two. I have checked everything I the tr union is installed in the proper way. I did not find anyway option in GS200 to prevent this . Or to reverse one retract. Can anyone help?
You just need to reversed the plug into the slot ie red to black and black to red...it's because you have that one in reverse mode
Old 12-24-2019, 11:44 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Transpose the retract motor leads -
Old 12-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Pondus
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by awanx

Unplug the two other units and cycle this one so they all are in the same position. Then plug them all in, and then they should operate together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.