Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Have you crashed a K-80G to K160 lately?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Have you crashed a K-80G to K160 lately?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have you crashed a K-80G to K160 lately?

Guys Im in need of a wire harness for my K100G I would like a complete set. If you have been unfortunate lately and would like to make a couple bucks back, let me know.

I can only imagine that the wire harness is the same threw the entire "G" type engines from Kingtech... PLEASE correct me if Im wrong.

I have taken out a Wanted add.. but no one reads those...lol http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemID=1080302

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cable_l (1).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	2175422  
Old 08-01-2016, 12:41 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

You could of course just go to their website and order brand new cables..,
Old 08-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Vettster

Originally Posted by wfield0455
You could of course just go to their website and order brand new cables..,
Ofcoarse I could!

But since the cables are only $60... and then $32 to ship to Canada and then Duties and then 13% taxes.. ohhhh and then the exchange rate at 30%.. So $60 isnt really $60 dollars is it.. Its more like $140 FORGET IT!!

We all crash planes... so I figured I would ask someone if they would part with a set and make a few bucks too. Nothing wrong with that.. We're not all millionaires.

Sorry for my rant.. I just hate how we Canadians get ripped off just because we need the simplest of things brought accross the boarder. Free Trade? yeah, for you guys. lol

Plus its not something I need this minute.

Last edited by Vettster; 08-01-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:05 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with the set that came with your K100?
If they are faulty perhaps you can check with KT to get replacements under warranty?
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Si_B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worth speaking to Barry. The connectors and crimp tools to make the data cable are cheap as chips. I was going to buy a new cable after buying a Kingtech with a broken clip but after taking advice from Barry I just replaced it myself.

I'm sure someone would post a picture of the orientation or polarity of the cables. Might be another option if you can't source cables or want to save a bit on buying from the factory.

Simon
Old 08-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Vettster

Originally Posted by smchale
What's wrong with the set that came with your K100?
If they are faulty perhaps you can check with KT to get replacements under warranty?
Nothing is wrong with them Sean.. Im just setting up to swap the 100 back and forth from my xcalibur to the F-104. Im on a tighter budget these days. The 104 having its own cables would simplifiy things. The fuel pump, ECU and engine is simple to remove/install

Originally Posted by Si_B
Worth speaking to Barry. The connectors and crimp tools to make the data cable are cheap as chips. I was going to buy a new cable after buying a Kingtech with a broken clip but after taking advice from Barry I just replaced it myself.

I'm sure someone would post a picture of the orientation or polarity of the cables. Might be another option if you can't source cables or want to save a bit on buying from the factory.

Simon
Hi Simon! Yes I was hoping someone would pop in with more info. The Power cables are a no brainer.. but the black communication cable seems more of a challenge without cutting it open.

Trevor
Old 08-01-2016, 04:25 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Vettster
Nothing is wrong with them Sean.. Im just setting up to swap the 100 back and forth from my xcalibur to the F-104. Im on a tighter budget these days. The 104 having its own cables would simplifiy things. The fuel pump, ECU and engine is simple to remove/install

Hi Simon! Yes I was hoping someone would pop in with more info. The Power cables are a no brainer.. but the black communication cable seems more of a challenge without cutting it open.

Trevor
The black data cable should be no problem at all if you can get the connectors used on the ECU end and crimp them on. The turbine end appears to be identical to a typical 8 pin ethernet cable that you should be able to pick up for next to nothing. Simply cut one end off and then use an ohm meter to buzz out the connections from end to end and duplicate your original cable.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:56 PM
Vettster

Thanks Wayne! I will investigate more
Old 08-01-2016, 10:04 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If you do find the 6 conductor ethernet plug you only need one with a few inches of wire. the rest can be two servo extensions. The opposite end is just two male servo plugs stacked and shrink wrapped together with a white dot to orient the connection. Only 5 of the 6 leads are used...... The other harness for the starter motor and glow has a green 6 pin Multiplex (MPX) connection. One side male and the other side female. While the 6 pin MPX connector is used there are only four leads. I don't remember, either the starter or glow doubles up on pins to carry more load. It confused me at first when I was buzzing them out until I understood what was going on. All the plugs should be easy to find. I remade these two wire harnesses when I built my Panther since the originals were too short. I attached some old pix of when i made them. One pix. has the assignments for the ethernet / double male servo plug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20618.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2175511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24726.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2175512  
Old 08-02-2016, 01:47 AM
Si_B

The crimper I bought does both. I got mine of eBay so I'm sure you could find the same. The crimping part is dead easy as you feed all the wire into the connector and then it makes the connections as you crush it down.

Simon

Simon
Old 08-02-2016, 02:46 AM
Vettster

Thanks Jofunk!! That info is golden.

Simon..can u pls post a picture or link.

Thanks guys
Old 08-02-2016, 03:20 AM
Si_B

Mine looks very similar to this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...-/121513378153

Simon
Old 08-02-2016, 04:01 AM
jofunk

You won't need a crimper if you can cut a 6 lead ethernet plug off of something. Just don't cut the wire too close to the plug so you have room to solder the servo plug leads on. Better yet flag down a telephone repair guy or a cable tv install guy and offer to buy one for a couple bucks. They could make the wire any length you want.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:31 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by jofunk
If you do find the 6 conductor ethernet plug you only need one with a few inches of wire. the rest can be two servo extensions. The opposite end is just two male servo plugs stacked and shrink wrapped together with a white dot to orient the connection. Only 5 of the 6 leads are used...... The other harness for the starter motor and glow has a green 6 pin Multiplex (MPX) connection. One side male and the other side female. While the 6 pin MPX connector is used there are only four leads. I don't remember, either the starter or glow doubles up on pins to carry more load. It confused me at first when I was buzzing them out until I understood what was going on. All the plugs should be easy to find. I remade these two wire harnesses when I built my Panther since the originals were too short. I attached some old pix of when i made them. One pix. has the assignments for the ethernet / double male servo plug.
Since my K140G uses an 8 pin, NOT 6 pin connector I think a cat 5e gigabit ethernet cable with 8 pin connector and all pins used will be required. The K140G cable(and I assume other kingtech G series turbines) also fans out to 2 connectors, a 6 pin (5 pins used) and a 4 pin (3 pins used), not a single 6 pin as you show.

In any event it's a matter of counting the pins, matching the connectors checking the continuity of each pin and wiring accordingly.

Last edited by wfield0455; 08-02-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:09 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

You spend tens of thousands on toys but won't spend !40 to put in a new cable?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Vettster

Send me 140 and I buy the $3 part
Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 PM
jofunk

The wires I remade were for my K 170. I too assumed they were the same for the other K engines
Old 08-03-2016, 02:54 AM
Vettster

I downloaded the color code for the RJ45 6 pin connector. Pretty easy from here. I also have the connectors for both sets...now I just need time.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:14 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Vettster
I downloaded the color code for the RJ45 6 pin connector. Pretty easy from here. I also have the connectors for both sets...now I just need time.
Did you actually count the pins ? I did and since you specifically mentioned Kingtech G series turbines are what you want to make a cable for, at least the K140G with a Xicoy ECU does NOT use a 6 pin connector at the turbine end, it uses an 8 pin RJ45 with all 8 wires used (4 twisted pairs) and at the other end a 6 pin (2x3) .1 spaced connector with 5 pins used plus a 4 pin, (2x2) .1 spaced connector with 3 pins used for a total of 8 wires.

I assume the 6 pin cable is for NON G series turbines. In any event, good luck with your cable making project.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:21 AM
izzy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a look at ATJ cable , its the same cable , might be cheaper also
Old 08-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Vettster

Originally Posted by izzy
take a look at ATJ cable , its the same cable , might be cheaper also
Thanks Izzy....but I want to keep apples with apples at this point.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Vettster

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Did you actually count the pins ? I did and since you specifically mentioned Kingtech G series turbines are what you want to make a cable for, at least the K140G with a Xicoy ECU does NOT use a 6 pin connector at the turbine end, it uses an 8 pin RJ45 with all 8 wires used (4 twisted pairs) and at the other end a 6 pin (2x3) .1 spaced connector with 5 pins used plus a 4 pin, (2x2) .1 spaced connector with 3 pins used for a total of 8 wires.

I assume the 6 pin cable is for NON G series turbines. In any event, good luck with your cable making project.
Thanks again Wayne..I just checked the cable I got and it's an 8pin....same as the king tech cable. I'm going to wait till the weekend to trace the lines. My eyes are just to tired at the end of the day. I'm a welder.

Last edited by Vettster; 08-03-2016 at 03:43 PM.