Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Pilots Org-JPO

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Pilots Org-JPO

Old 08-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One concept that can help an organization survive is to provide something that the membership realizes, or perceives, it needs.

Not to rag on AMA, but the only reason some of us have ever joined AMA, was due to a flying club requirement. Many modelers think with AMA they have insurance.
In light of the recent departure from model airplanes to drone and origami support, the only reason I do AMA is the required turbine waiver. So be it.

The Turbine CD program is laugh-able, and frankly meaningless. Even folks new to jets are turbine CDs. That's cool, but certainly not a safety oriented process.
Turbine CD's as a minimum, should be within the perview of an official SIG such as the JPO. Jet event approval and site surveys should be a SIG (like JPO) function. The AMA relies on CD's to conduct things following guidelines. But almost anyone can be a CD. The results can vary greatly. But hey, it's a hobby. How hard can it be?

Well....large meets held at full scale airports are a minefield of potential safety issues. For example, how many turbine CD's understand what 14 CFR or FCC regulations they may be violating? If the FAA doesn't notice we're good right? Take the case of full scale interaction. How many CD's know they are not permitted free use of aviation transceivers? Are CDs aware whether they are even allowed to talk to full scale traffic, much less what not to say? A SIG can be the source of such awareness. The AMA is too big to care. Jet events need runways, drones don't.

An organization that provides members of a community something they must have to pursue an activity they love, is more likely to get support. There's incentive. The politics are a potential hazard, especially to the few that will do most of the work. But the potential for providing truly needed resources and service that directly affects an individual's ability to participate in their sport, would make a smaller organization like JPO essential.

Last edited by Chris Smith; 08-12-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Well my thing is I have two many things to renew every year and would hate to have yet another. Every December its AMA $75.00 Club $65 then TopGun and FLjets are also due at this time and that's another $175 in pilot fees.

Now that my buddy Rex is involved though I might just go ahead and get it done. Plus if they are helping to get the AMA on board with the larger aircraft then its worth it. The jets are getting bigger and bigger but the rules are staying small lol.
Yea, agreed...lots of renewals, event fees, etc. Ought to be able to buy "bundles"!!! Thanks for the vote of confidence Kris! Really appreciate you!

It may certainly take some ramp up time to get us into the position of more influence with the AMA but we could certainly see a major swing on the information/discussion/visibility/viability side family quickly.

One thing I am seeing as a common item in this "discovery" is the need for a JPO Forum with discussion access to post on several items: Waiver processes, Insurance/Safety, new technology, new product launches, event promotion, district happenings and even NOTAM's for problems. Would like to see this happen and somehow keep the trolls out too.

RCU, has lost a ton of leverage so where to have our Forum and make it easy access...is a good question. RCU is good only because you go to Buy/Sell and can see other forum items. But I do know so many guys have stopped coming to RCU because of the trolling.

Rex

Last edited by rbxbear44; 08-12-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Why not have a forum on the JPO site for JPO members??
Old 08-12-2016, 05:54 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Why not have a forum on the JPO site for JPO members??
Something to think about...

The JPO website is hosted (now) on Wix.com. I moved it over there because I needed a hosting site that was easy and quick for me to build and hopefully transfer to a new webmaster when we can find someone to volunteer to take over.

Wix.com does have a forum app that we could add to the website - although I have no idea how good it is.

My main concern though is how much traffic it would get on the JPO site. I agree that RCU has fallen off some, but honestly, I don't think that there is a forum out there that has more participation from turbine modelers in the US than RCU. I think that if we could do something here, it would get more visibility than if we did it on the JPO website.

Thoughts?

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 08-12-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:21 PM
rbxbear44

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Something to think about...

The JPO website is hosted (now) on Wix.com. I moved it over there because I needed a hosting site that was easy and quick for me to build and hopefully transfer to a new webmaster when we can find someone to volunteer to take over.

Wix.com does have a forum app that we could add to the website - although I have no idea how good it is.

My main concern though is how much traffic it would get on the JPO site. I agree that RCU has fallen off some, but honestly, I don't think that there is a forum out there that has more participation from turbine modelers in the US than RCU. I think that if we could do something here, it would get more visibility than if we did it on the JPO website.

Thoughts?

Bob
Yes, I agree that RCU is the best place for a Forum. Most already have it bookmarked in their browser list and they will go to RCU to look and see what's for sale.

Rex
Old 08-16-2016, 06:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Rex, I'll be attending Jets South and hope we can chat about how we can work together.
Andy - AMA District V VP
Old 08-16-2016, 07:10 AM
rbxbear44

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Rex, I'll be attending Jets South and hope we can chat about how we can work together.
Andy - AMA District V VP
Andy,
Looking forward to meeting you. Hoping a greater membership interest in JPO would cause a greater communication and understanding and especially, influence with AMA.

Rex
Old 08-19-2016, 11:53 AM
rbxbear44

Wanted to bring this thread back to the front for a few more thoughts before Super Jets South...

Maybe we can have a low key Q & A time after flying on Friday night, just a gathering under the pavilion for a few minutes to get some insight from JPO Prez. Bob Klenke, AMA District V VP Andy. Nothing big...just might be some good chit chat.

Rex
Old 08-19-2016, 12:07 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by rbxbear44
Wanted to bring this thread back to the front for a few more thoughts before Super Jets South...

Maybe we can have a low key Q & A time after flying on Friday night, just a gathering under the pavilion for a few minutes to get some insight from JPO Prez. Bob Klenke, AMA District V VP Andy. Nothing big...just might be some good chit chat.

Rex
Sounds good to me. We did that before the Friday night dinner at Kentucky Jets and some guys learned that the JPO was still around and needed their help in membership...

We'll have copies of Contrails to hand out so guys can see what its like and forms and information to sign up for membership.

Bob
Old 08-19-2016, 12:17 PM
rhklenke

Here's another question - t-shirts.

I did a couple of t-shirts for myself and my son Louie last year to see how the process works at Custom ink. They came out pretty well and are durable (Hanes Beefy T's). I went with a larger logo on the front because I thought that the small one on the breast pocket area like the old ones were was too small and hard to see. I also put an F-15 and the JPO URL on the back.

Any thoughts on this design and if guys would be interested in them? If there is some interest, I'll get some printed and bring them down to SJS to sell. If we get an order of 25, the price will be $22 each (t-shirts have gotten more expensive)...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	t-shirt.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	2177546  
Old 08-19-2016, 08:46 PM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Here's another question - t-shirts.

I did a couple of t-shirts for myself and my son Louie last year to see how the process works at Custom ink. They came out pretty well and are durable (Hanes Beefy T's). I went with a larger logo on the front because I thought that the small one on the breast pocket area like the old ones were was too small and hard to see. I also put an F-15 and the JPO URL on the back.

Any thoughts on this design and if guys would be interested in them? If there is some interest, I'll get some printed and bring them down to SJS to sell. If we get an order of 25, the price will be $22 each (t-shirts have gotten more expensive)...

I will take one 3x
Old 08-23-2016, 03:32 PM
rbxbear44

Got my "Contrails" in an email yesterday, the quarterly JPO Members Publication that has the latest and greatest from our Prez and EVP, how to articles AND some District event summaries...GREAT update on the AMA/FAA and AMA/JPO recent interaction process, by Bob Klenke.

It's not up on the JPO website yet in archive but all members should have it. I bet it will be up on the JPO site soon.

Just an FYI...

Rex