Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Pilots Org-JPO

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Pilots Org-JPO

Old 08-09-2016, 01:41 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Jet Pilots Org-JPO

Hey all,

I was asked to become the District V Rep for the JPO, which includes Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee and Puerto Rico. I see that of the 410 plus Turbine Waiver Holders on the AMA list for these, there are only 23 members of the JPO.

Need some feedback as I try and gain some ground and develop our District into more "community" among Jet Pilots and this specific area of the RC hobby.

You can visit the website at jetpilots.org to get the whole mission statement and purpose.

In my opinion, all Turbine Waiver Holders should and would want to be a part of this organization that focuses specifically on the Jet community....RIGHT?

If not a member, why? Need some "healthy" discussion here on this.

Thanks,
Rex Briant
Old 08-09-2016, 04:08 PM
shepp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rex for stepping up and taking on the district 5 rep job.
Hope to see you at super jets and discuss JPO. BTW. How can I tell if I have renewed. Scott and I gave Bob and Tim renewal fees at JOK but no confirmation, We were not even sure if we had renewed or not. lol. How do I check this on the website/

Thanks,
Glenn Sheppard
Old 08-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Hi Rex,

Let me know if you need any help in SC.

Gary Jones
Old 08-09-2016, 04:19 PM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

congrats Rex, I have held off on JPO since I wasnt sure they really did anything. I think if JPO could get the Turbine waiver and large model things updated a bit that would be great. I feel like just because your a CD doesnt make you automatically the best at turbine sign offs and large model inspection/certs

Last edited by FenderBean; 08-09-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:16 PM
rbxbear44

Originally Posted by shepp
Hope to see you at super jets and discuss JPO. BTW. How can I tell if I have renewed. Scott and I gave Bob and Tim renewal fees at JOK but no confirmation, We were not even sure if we had renewed or not. lol. How do I check this on the website/

Thanks,
Glenn Sheppard

Glenn,
I'll check with the JPO folks...sure Bob will see this thread and probably chime in. You can go on the website and click on "Resources" on the top tap of the main page, then pull down to "JPO Membership List". It will pull up a PDF copy of the membership listed by State.

I do know they work on a calendar year, since I had the same question this past year..."when is my membership needing to be renewed?"

I just now renew my JPO when I renew my AMA and my NRA membership too...Nov. 1.

Thanks,
Rex
Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 PM
rbxbear44

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Hi Rex,

Let me know if you need any help in SC.

Gary Jones
Gary and Keith,
Thanks so much! I'll be at Super Jets South for sure...my home club is GA Jets!

We need to get everyone on board so we can build a better "community" among pilots, work together to create the platform we all want to see in "Jets". Our influence will come from those that care.

Rex
Old 08-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Rex, see you at SJS. Should have the F-16 there also.

Gary
Old 08-09-2016, 06:13 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by shepp

Thanks,
Glenn Sheppard
Glen,

I think Jim McEwen took your renewals. He said that he had three from Kentucky Jets. We'll make sure that the new JPO Secretary/Treasurer, Sid Gates, gets your names on the membership list. The next issue of Contrails is due out in two or three weeks, and we'll make sure you and Scott get one.

Bob Klenke

Last edited by rhklenke; 08-09-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:17 PM
rbxbear44

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Rex, see you at SJS. Should have the F-16 there also.

Gary
Awesome Gary! See you there!

Rex
Old 08-09-2016, 06:40 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by FenderBean
congrats Rex, I have held off on JPO since I wasnt sure they really did anything. I think if JPO could get the Turbine waiver and large model things updated a bit that would be great. I feel like just because your a CD doesnt make you automatically the best at turbine sign offs and large model inspection/certs
Keith,

I'm not sure if you were aware of this, but the JPO initiated a change to the turbine thrust rules that was approved last year. This change raised the maximum thrust for a 55lb or less aircraft from 45 lbs "manufacturer's rated thrust" to 50lbs "installed Static thrust."

That may not seem like much, but it made all of the new 200-class engines that all of the turbine manufacturers have developed in the past 3 or 4 years, "legal."

As far as the LMA program is concerned, the AMA is reviewing those in an effort to simplify them. I have discussed some of the concerns about the LMA program that jet guys I have talked with have (including the issue of requiring a CD for witness signoff) with the Chair of that committee and I believe that many of those issues will be addressed.

We are always listening to what the jet community wants to see from the AMA and what concerns you have. Let us know what you would like us to work on...

Of course, we also publish Contrails quarterly, which we hope makes interesting reading, and as Rex talked about, we would like to work on building a sense of community within the jet pilot ranks...

Bob Klenke
Old 08-09-2016, 06:59 PM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never became a member do I never saw the ex vp doing anything for this Association now the you are VP I may joint but I want to now what we get as members what will be the benefits
Old 08-10-2016, 03:21 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vquick
I never became a member do I never saw the ex vp doing anything for this Association now the you are VP I may joint but I want to now what we get as members what will be the benefits
Victor,
As a Special Interest Group (SIG), the JPO is the official "voice" of the jet community to the AMA. Over the years they have been critically involved in development and improvements of the turbine waiver and LMTA rules. They have also participated in the AMA's response to the FAA uSAS rule making initiative. Publication of event coverage and "how-to" and opinion articles in Contrails is an added benefit of the JPO but not its primary purpose.

The turbine waiver and LMTA rules may not be perfect but I hate to think what they would be like (if they even existed) if not for the input of JPO. The benefit of membership and keeping the JPO viable is the support and protection of RC turbines going forward. The District Rep (not a VP), participates in JPO meetings and the decision making process. He is also your best direct link for input to the JPO to express your ideas and concerns.

It is to the advantage of all AMA turbine waiver holders to belong to and support the JPO.

Craig
Old 08-10-2016, 03:59 AM
rbxbear44

All great input! Here is why I said "yes" to this...because there is a great foundation of purpose and mission, what's missing is members to create community...meaning, functioning together in order to enjoy this part of the hobby and making sure it remains safe and productive....together!

Honestly, I have always read "Contrails" cover to cover. I like reading the reports of other districts and my own. I like the articles on "how to's". And frankly, this is the only publication where I actual received some good intel on the AMA-FAA issue.

When Craig Gottschang was our District Rep a few years back, I felt plugged into something because he did a great job promoting the JPO, getting new members, showed up at several of our events and talked about what this org. was doing.

I think involvement is critical these days...at least identifying with the JPO as a member. Especially with the dynamics of our particular area of the RC hobby...which requires a waiver system, additional safety equipment, aircraft weighing more and going faster...my feeling is, it takes each person from one of 250,000 voices with the AMA, to one of 2,000 (if everyone joined the JPO).

More can get done for sure and I bet we would have a greater impact.

Rex
Old 08-10-2016, 05:25 AM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Well that was kinda my point, I have been to a lot of jet events the past few years and ky jets this year was the first time I have heard talk. I never see topics here on rcu, I'm not saying they haven't done great things for the jet community. If they want awareness and support we need to know. A JPO sticky thread here in the jet forum would be great! People like Rex can only enhance the overall mission of JPO for sure.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:00 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traditional organization is typically an "old guy" thing. It's hard for us to evolve. Joining groups, reading hard copy newsletters, and being the first to "second a motion" at a meeting held in the back room of Goodwill Industries doesn't seem to generate interest. It is not new that a few folks always do most of the work in any organization.

In the scheme of things, JPO is a SIG within a SIG in terms of a voice. Some valuable things are being done, even if only with the AMA. Would greater numbers of members change that?
Does JPO membership indicate the health or influence of jets with the AMA?
What would JPO be doing if it were larger, that isn't being done?

Maybe concentrating on selling these aspects would rally more folks. Subscribing to a newsletter does not.
Growing the numbers of jet flyers doesn't seem to be a problem at all. That should not be part of a JPO effort. There may be more important issues.

What would be cool is if JPO was made up of a cadre of merchant ship Captains with access to boats. There has to be a better way to get jet stuff.
It's a PIA and expensive to participate in jet flying. Even with the growth we're seeing, it will always remain a small population.

Last edited by Chris Smith; 08-10-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:10 AM
rbxbear44

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Well that was kinda my point, I have been to a lot of jet events the past few years and ky jets this year was the first time I have heard talk. I never see topics here on rcu, I'm not saying they haven't done great things for the jet community. If they want awareness and support we need to know. A JPO sticky thread here in the jet forum would be great! People like Rex can only enhance the overall mission of JPO for sure.
Haha, love the thought about merchant ships! Awesome!

Actually I read my electronic copy of Contrails when I'm flying overseas for work. I don;t read the monthly AMA Magazine anymore really, roll through the pages to look for something I might have an interest in but never find anything because it's all about Drones, electrics, micro-flyers, Heli's...etc. I have no real interest in any of those. But I do have a deep interest in Jets and technology of this side of the hobby. A new breed of turbines with on board ECU battery charging??? WOW! Even discussions on how in the world to get a jet airframe ordered and received within 90 days...I like that stuff.

Just yesterday I heard from a buddy that flies jets, that it would be wise to change out the "Satellite A" extension annually on a Spektrum Rx system because, if that one goes, you are dead! That's community and would be something to talk about electronically, via forums, events, etc.

I am thinking "membership" WILL indeed help simply because, when someone is a part of something, they will invest themselves in some form, whether it be participation or at least listening/reading. I am an optimist...I am hoping for 100% membership of all Waiver Holders. But for the sake of "realistic", I would just love to see the membership double. Then, those that are not members will still benefit from the work and community of those that do.

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it. BTW, I'm 56 years old, very A.D.D. as far as focus and am a member of two RC clubs that do not allow politics, are Board run, no club meetings, no voting. So, I'm with you as far as what a SIG ought to look like!

Rex
Old 08-10-2016, 10:43 AM
vquick

Originally Posted by CraigG
Victor,
As a Special Interest Group (SIG), the JPO is the official "voice" of the jet community to the AMA. Over the years they have been critically involved in development and improvements of the turbine waiver and LMTA rules. They have also participated in the AMA's response to the FAA uSAS rule making initiative. Publication of event coverage and "how-to" and opinion articles in Contrails is an added benefit of the JPO but not its primary purpose.

The turbine waiver and LMTA rules may not be perfect but I hate to think what they would be like (if they even existed) if not for the input of JPO. The benefit of membership and keeping the JPO viable is the support and protection of RC turbines going forward. The District Rep (not a VP), participates in JPO meetings and the decision making process. He is also your best direct link for input to the JPO to express your ideas and concerns.

It is to the advantage of all AMA turbine waiver holders to belong to and support the JPO.

Craig
Thanks Craig for your input and to clarify Im talking about the last 2 years when i start flying Turbines I been involve in this hobby for 44 years and start flying jets in 84 first time i knew about JPO was in Ga jets event 2 years ago and i went i check this but when i start looking for district articles didn't found one last year from this District so that one of the reasons I never joint. I meet Rex last year at Ga jets event plus a heard a lot of good things from him so I know he will be a good Rep for this District
Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kinda of funny but not that we participate in the most expensive part of the RC hobby and is what JPO is representing. It only makes since to support them and their efforts to improve and keep our hobby alive. I can't understand why anyone that flies a turbine would not. I hope it's not the $25.00

With all of the different reason that are preventing us from enjoying our hobby it's very important to have a voice. JPO has been doing that and will be in the future. I have no problem with the membership dues considering a shirt from an event cost more. So at lest sign up, pay your dues and be counted as a member of the JPO to show your support to continue your hobby.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:08 PM
rhklenke

Thanks for all of the comments guys, keep ‘em coming! All feedback is welcome. Thanks also to Rex for taking the initiative to start this thread.

When I was asked to volunteer as JPO President a little over a year ago, I agreed because I knew how important the JPO was to the jet hobby in the past and I knew that it would be so in the future. A lot of folks put in a lot of time to get us to the point where we are now, as Craig pointed out above, and we need to make sure that the results of that effort is maintained and kept up to date as the hobby moves forward.

The JPO has gone through a bit of a “quiet period” for the past couple of years. We’re working on rebuilding and we felt that it was important to get a few recent accomplishments on the books before we started an all out membership drive. In the past year we have:

• Revised the AMA turbine thrust rules to allow the use of modern 200-class turbines
  • Conducted a survey of AMA turbine waiver holders to gather information on what they would like to see from the JPO
  • Modernized the JPO website and added the capability for online membership initiation and renewal with electronic payment
  • Presented the activities of the jet community (with an emphasis on the public relations benefits to the AMA of jet events) to the AMA Executive Council

The point about the lack of visibility of the JPO is well taken. Now that we have (re)started to move forward and have a few things to talk about, we’re starting to work on that issue too. I’m confident that Rex will be a great help in that effort and I *really* thank him for volunteering to be the District V Rep.

All of the JPO officers and District Reps. are volunteers and sometimes life gets in the way of the best of intentions. Also, sometimes, people might wonder if anyone is listening to what they are saying. The point here, is if you have a JPO District Rep. and you don’t see or hear anything from them, get in touch with them and see what’s up. Better yet, send them some pictures and a few words from your jet event and ask them to put it in Contrails. I’m sure that they would be grateful for the material.

If you are in a District that does not currently have a District Rep, consider volunteering. It’s not really too much of a time commitment – four articles a year for Contrails to start.

You can find out all about your District Rep. at: http://www.jetpilots.org/#!districts/c5zv

Electronic renewal or new membership is available at: http://www.jetpilots.org/#!join-jpo/p9rl4

Bob Klenke
JPO President
Old 08-10-2016, 06:06 PM
rbxbear44

Grateful for Bob and his leadership for sure.

I sent a email out to several "friends" I fly with and know pretty well that I did not see listed on the JPO roster, asking for feedback and why they were not members. Most simply said, "I had no idea the JPO was still around". A few talked about the AMA FAA issue and felt we did nothing to help or to separate ourselves from the drone operators. Really thankful for the feedback.

Hopefully the visibility of the JPO at events and even in the forums will help create the kind of membership needed to build community and influence.

I am asking all of those holding Turbine Waivers to get on board and ride this machine for a while. I would love to see my District V be a strong influence in the Jet Community. I'll be at Super Jets South and I believe Bob Klenke will be there too, to answer any questions and discuss our role and goals for the JPO.

For those of you in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina and Puerto Rico...please join us so we can be the influence and voice of RC Jet Aircraft to the AMA.

Please continue to contribute to this thread.

Rex
Old 08-11-2016, 06:41 AM
rhklenke

Oh, we should also mention that the JPO produces the "Top Gun Trophy" that may have been presented at a jet flyin you've attended. These trophies are available at no cost to the CD of a jet event as long as there are more than 20 pilots who historically have attended the event and the CD or assistant CD is a JPO member.

These trophies are awarded as the event CD determines for that particular event. The request for a Top Gun Trophy is available on the JPO website (http://www.jetpilots.org/#!resources/keui3) and should be submitted to the JPO District Rep. or the JPO Vice President or President.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	top gun trophy.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	2176524  
Old 08-11-2016, 07:32 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

It seems to me there should be a JPO section on this forum to help promote the organization and educate jet flyers as to how the SIG is working with the AMA/FAA to better serve Jet Flyers.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:37 AM
vquick

Last night I went and sing up for JPO
Old 08-11-2016, 09:15 AM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by vquick
Last night I went and sing up for JPO
Yep, we got it Victor. You should get the next issue of Contrails when it comes out. The editor (Greg Moore) is working on it now...

Bob
Old 08-11-2016, 09:53 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Well my thing is I have two many things to renew every year and would hate to have yet another. Every December its AMA $75.00 Club $65 then TopGun and FLjets are also due at this time and that's another $175 in pilot fees.

Now that my buddy Rex is involved though I might just go ahead and get it done. Plus if they are helping to get the AMA on board with the larger aircraft then its worth it. The jets are getting bigger and bigger but the rules are staying small lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.