Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

fixing a little damage on a bvm bobcat stab

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

fixing a little damage on a bvm bobcat stab

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:36 AM
jetpower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fixing a little damage on a bvm bobcat stab

HI all
a few weeks ago when i was flying my bobcat the verry rare thing happent my turbine siesed
when that happent a blade from the turbine wheel broke away and niked thye stab of the bobcat it did not went thru the stab meerly chippin away paint and gelcoat.
i can see the fibers the glas see picture
i sanded al the loose paint away bud it is exactly in the leading edge area .
tips are verry helpful fore repairing it.
i"m a bit off a no no when it comes to repairing a Fiberglas part
regards peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0730[1].jpg
Views:	139
Size:	774.8 KB
ID:	2177465  
Old 08-18-2016, 01:09 PM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a little hard to see the depth of the damage. If it's deep to my unlike I wood first mix some epoxy with some fibreglass mill and fill up the hole. You mite have to use some Automotive masking tape to form the shape. Just let it dry, peal tape, than sand as smooth as possible. Any imperfections can be filled with a light automotive body filler. You will than prime, paint , and spray a clear on the finished product. Any good Automotive paint supplies will be able to match the paint colour. However if you can get the paint code from BVM or some touch up paint that would be even better. The photo damage looks small so if this is the case I would do it with an air brush. If using two pack paint make sure that the rite quantities of hardner and reducer are used. Always where a proper paint mask especially with two pack paints. You will have to blend the spray job with the existing paint. Do not mask the damaged area and just paint that. It will stand out and look horrible. Hard to explain but you have to spray the repair and as you spray over the non damaged wing you slowly back off. You will be spraying a bigger area of the wing to blend it in. You could possible need a light wet sand after before the clear goes on. In saying this it's hard to give advise without seeing the damage with my eye and seeing the spray job. This is just some of the things I had to do for my own repairs. If the hole is not deep all you could is use the body filler. Not deep by my eyes is 1 mm or under. Just my opinion.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 PM
roger.alli

That is a very strange way to damage a model. A bit like the Qantas A380 incident.

From the photo it does not look like there is structural damage.. I would suggest just filling with a 2 part auto filler and then priming and painting. The correct yellow colour may be hard to match..

BVM have done a great tutorial on this kind of damage.. http://www.bvmjets.com/tips/Flying%2...%20Repairs.pdf

Justflying has some good ideas.. The only things I would add.. During the repair process, try and keep the "working" area as small as possible as it easy to spread the working area as you sand out the various fillers and primers..

Masking tape is your friend. Use it to limit the area you are sanding.

Good luck

Roger
Old 08-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Better yet, fill and sand like suggested. Then cover the leading edge with a strip of chrome film or metallic silver. Many leading edges are finished that way and no one but you will know it was not that way from the start. About a 30 min fix.

Last edited by Kelly Rohrbach; 08-18-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:12 PM
roger.alli

Yes..... But that would be cheating.

Actually it is a brilliant idea..
Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Yes..... But that would be cheating.

Actually it is a brilliant idea..
If your not cheating your not trying.
Ask me how I know this works
Old 08-19-2016, 11:50 AM
jetpower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok thanks for the tips
the damage was not al the way thrue .
regards peter
Old 08-20-2016, 04:53 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can see the fibers as you have mentioned... Dab a bit of thin CA there. It will wick back into the fiberglass and replace the resin that was shatter in that area. Then do as the others have mentioned. Its not serious at all.. mostly cosmetic.