Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Some info for those who like to charge PayPal Fee

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Some info for those who like to charge PayPal Fee

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people violate paypal rules all the time when they send payment as friends when it is for a sale item, do I care? No, its not my business and I don't stick my nose in where it don't belong, same as you should be doing.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:38 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is an example of a bad use of the Internet, which is to try and shame someone because you don't agree with them. In fact, not only do you not agree with them, but you're wrong regarding the facts that you're shaming them about. Once again, it's *not* against any law to pass PayPal fees to a buyer. I'm going back to Facebook now.

Last edited by dubd; 09-02-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:18 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Sellers selling used stuff need to realize, as with Real Estate, car market, furniture, etc. The seller doesn't set the price. A seller can ask any price they want, but the buying market determines if it is a fair price on the market, and whether the item sells. Seller too high on price, item doesn't sell. So, those who are charging the 3% to sell their item may not sell it for the initial asking price. The seller eventually lowers the price to what the buying market is willing to pay, and already lost the precious 3% that the seller thought he was gettting. At that time, if the seller passes along the fee, the Buyer determined that the price of the item was worth the additional 3% and shipping for a total price of the item. Verses what they can buy that item locally.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 09-03-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

For those who don't want to accept paying the PayPal fee, PayPal is an insurance for the buyer - it does nothing for the seller. And the person being insured always pays for the insurance. If you don't like USE YOUR CREDIT CARD.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:34 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
For those who don't want to accept paying the PayPal fee, PayPal is an insurance for the buyer - it does nothing for the seller. And the person being insured always pays for the insurance. If you don't like USE YOUR CREDIT CARD.
I'll call a giant BS on this one...

If that were in fact true, then the three percent would be automatically added to the selling price for the buyer to cover.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:12 PM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

this issue should be handled with negotiations between the parties......not as a whining post on RCU.....it is clear why not all of your transactions on RCU have a "GOOD" rating
Old 09-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by csandt051196
vquick

so this takes me to my current post "where have all the experts gone". Well i know our pay pal expert is still here and the people i would really like to hear from have left because of you and people like you.

bingo!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:59 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I factor 3% into my selling price, and sometimes I don't. The average sale I make is $100 each.
So 3% is not more than gas to run to the bank and cash a money order.
I like printing from Paypal, I get a discount that way on shipping.
People buy more things if you take Paypal.
When I'm a buyer, I like the protection to send it back if it's not as described.
That service and protection is worth $3 a sale to me.
Things like "I'll pay the fees" or "Free shipping" helps attract buyers.
No matter how you look at it as a seller, to have a marketplace here, instead of using ripoff fleabay fees on top of everything, you're way ahead.
Pay the 3% and stop living the life of a cheap guy.
It's not attractive to women, and it's not attractive to buyers.
But you do as you please, just makes my selling go faster.

Last edited by J330; 09-03-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:08 PM
dubd

Originally Posted by J330
I factor 3% into my selling price, and sometimes I don't. The average sale I make is $100 each.
So 3% is not more than gas to run to the bank and cash a money order.
I like printing from Paypal, I get a discount that way on shipping.
People buy more things if you take Paypal.
When I'm a buyer, I like the protection to send it back if it's not as described.
That service and protection is worth $3 a sale to me.
Things like "I'll pay the fees" or "Free shipping" helps attract buyers.
No matter how you look at it as a seller, to have a marketplace here, instead of using ripoff fleabay fees on top of everything, you're way ahead.
Pay the 3% and stop living the life of a cheap guy.
It's not attractive to women, and it's not attractive to buyers.
But you do as you please, just makes my selling go faster.
From my experience most sellers are okay taking a hit with PayPal for a $100 item. It's the engines and airplanes that I've seen sellers push back because you're now taking about hundreds of dollars in fees. I typically will pay for big ticket items with a cashiers check so that the seller can maximize their sale.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:22 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a regular PayPal user, both buying, selling and accepting payment for business services, I will typically not buy from anyone who tacks on a 3% PayPal fee, nor will I send money as a gift unless I'm picking the item up personally. The 3% is a transaction fee, not an insurance fee; it's in line with similar fees for accepting credit cards, some are even higher (like AMEX).

I would also never charge a customer an extra 3%, for a transaction service that makes it significantly more convenient for me m where I get the funds virtually immediately. Even on a $1000 transaction it equates to $30, well worth not having to wait days, if not a week or more for a money order.

If you can't stand missing out on that 3% then factor it into your asking price.

Frank
Old 09-04-2016, 03:35 AM
J330

Originally Posted by dubd
I've seen sellers push back because you're now taking about hundreds of dollars in fees. I typically will pay for big ticket items with a cashiers check
At $30 per $1,000, I think $10,000 sales are rare. For me, that's a wire transfer only situation.
Maybe try Freshbooks for a month and see what happens? http://alexisgrant.com/2014/12/05/av...h-paypal-fees/
Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 AM
dubd

Originally Posted by J330
At $30 per $1,000, I think $10,000 sales are rare. For me, that's a wire transfer only situation.
Maybe try Freshbooks for a month and see what happens? http://alexisgrant.com/2014/12/05/av...h-paypal-fees/
Interesting idea with Freshbooks. I don't have the data to say if a $10k sale is rare, but people are selling RTF planes through RCU and there are many $5k-8k ads listed. Also, there are a lot of turbine engines that are listed for $1500-3500.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:21 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

PayPal cannot do a thing about this. They do not control the selling site, jsut where money passes through and then only soemtimes. They have no way of tracking if someone tacks on PayPal fees unless some chinsy proposed buyer wants to make a stick and send copies of PRIVATE MESSAGES, which, BTW, are controlled by copyright laws.

Like I said above, if you are too cheap to pay for your own insurance then use a credit card. Teh vast majority of the time that's what you pPayPal account is going to do anyway.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:05 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd
This thread is an example of a bad use of the Internet, which is to try and shame someone because you don't agree with them. In fact, not only do you not agree with them, but you're wrong regarding the facts that you're shaming them about. Once again, it's *not* against any law to pass PayPal fees to a buyer. I'm going back to Facebook now.
I hear that. I just hope the OP of this thread also pays his taxes on all items sold during the year as that's law as well.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:29 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by flyrcjets
I hear that. I just hope the OP of this thread also pays his taxes on all items sold during the year as that's law as well.
Actually, you only have to pay taxes if you sell something for more than you paid for it. Generally, modelers are so cheap I am pleased to get 50¢ on the dollar when I sell stuff at swap meets!

Bob
Old 09-04-2016, 05:34 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

I don't buy from sellers that don't accept Paypal, (there is a jet right now that has not sold that I would buy right now if he accepted Paypal) if they require that I pay the fee then I will make a lower offer depending on what I think the value of the item is including the added 3%. I never charge a fee when accepting Paypal, the HUGE convenience it provides is well worth the fee.

So in the end I believe the fee has some deeper meaning for some folks, it's not about the money but a principal of some strange kind, it makes no sense. I've seen sellers lower the price of an item by hundreds even thousands of dollars but still refuse to pay a small fee to sell the item!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:23 PM
J330

Paypal issues me a 1099-K every year, makes tax filing easy.
I got an earned income credit living at home, it's in my favor for one more year.
If you created an account, you agreed to their terms and fees.

I guess I'm the only one making a profit reselling this stuff. More of a gouge are the shipping rates, but that's another thread.