Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Demon cortex questions

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Demon cortex questions

Old 09-27-2016, 04:50 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
If you do increase stick priority and fade out the gyro inputs when the stick is only displaced a small amount, be aware of my comments in the Cortex Pro thread.

If you teach the gyro its settings with flaps up, and have a significant flap-elevator trim adjustment required, then when you lower the flaps, the gyro inputs will be washed out, resulting in potentially very little gyro inputs in the landing config. The gyro doesn't know the difference between trim inputs and pilot stick inputs when determining stick priority wash-out of the gain.

My Ultra Flash requires 34% trim point adjustment between flaps up and landing flap (Jeti DS-16), and with the default rate mode stick priority setting I have minimal pitch gyro inputs with landing flap, even with the landing flap gain cranked all the way up. Each axis is independent in this regard.

According to Joachim (DemonJoe) in reply to my post on the Cortex Pro thread, decreasing the stick priority value will keep the gyro more 'in-the-loop' with these trim change effects. I have yet to try this yet, as waiting for a Pro s/w update before flying it. I may try this on the pitch axis only using the second gyro bank and switch to the second bank with landing flap.

Paul
what SW update are you reffering to?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:10 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

See reply from DemonJoe in this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11632379-bavarian-demon-cortex-pro-here.html

Paul
Old 09-27-2016, 06:29 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by i3dm
what SW update are you reffering to?
Setup SW for the Cortex pro will be available in a couple weeks. For now the systems can be used in the default (as delivered) condition. A FW update is in the works to address a specific issue when used with the Jeti Central boxes. As it is now the communication through the Cortex Pro is only single direction. Control data and gyro corrections are passed through by the Cortex Pro but telemetry is not. The systems are perfectly flyable (in fact we installed a couple this past weekend at the Warbirds over the Rockies event) but you lose the telemetry. While this is disappointing it is not the end of the world and hasn't stopped me from flying my Cortex Pro/CB200 equipped airplanes. It wasn't that long ago that we didn't have any of the cool telemetry available to us now and the guys at bavarianDEMON will have this sorted out soon.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 AM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Danny, can you provide and info about the relationship between stick priority and dual rate settings in the transmitter ? For example, lets assume I have an airplane where I have 50% dual rates for low rates which I will use for precision flying and high rates set to 100 percent which I will use for extreme aerobatics. I also want the Cortex to decay the gyro gain so that it is essentially off at full stick deflection in each mode so that it doesn't fight my control inputs at all.

I assume I would start by setting both bank 1 and bank 2 for rate mode (have no interest at all in hold mode) and then doing something like setting gains, etc for bank 1 for low rate / precision mode and bank 2 for high rate / 3D mode.
So is there a specific relation ship between stick priority and rates ? It seems there SHOULD be since with different rate settings the Cortex will see different stick deflections. For example, with the Aura 8 gyro which has the ability to set rates and expo internally, setting the stick priority to match the selected rate will cause the Aura to be off at full stick deflection and I would like to be able to understand how to accomplish the same thing with my Cortex. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't know the specific relationship between stick priority and surface travel. As has been suggested by others it should be easy to tell by simply observing the amount of correction applied for various stick deflections. The default stick priority settings are nice for most sport/scale/jet flying. For 3D airplanes I suggest doubling the stick priority for all axis, then adjusting as needed. I test by performing a Pop Top. In this maneuver the rapid yaw rotation at the top is caused by the combination of control surface deflection and the gyroscopic procession that is a result of the rapid application of down (for an upright Pop Top) elevator. Too low a stick priority setting slows the initial application of the control inputs reducing the amount of energy that is transferred to the yaw axis. In addition any relaxation of stick input brings the gains back up which slows/stops the yaw rotation.

Last edited by F1 Rocket; 09-27-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:36 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
I don't know the specific relationship between stick priority and surface travel. As has been suggested by others it should be easy to tell by simply observing the amount of correction applied for various stick deflections. The default stick priority settings are nice for most sport/scale/jet flying. For 3D airplanes I suggest doubling the stick priority for all axis, then adjusting as needed. I test by performing a Pop Top. In this maneuver the rapid yaw rotation at the top is caused by the combination of control surface deflection and the gyroscopic procession that is a result of the rapid application of down (for an upright Pop Top) elevator. Too low a stick priority setting slows the initial application of the control inputs reducing the amount of energy that is transferred to the yaw axis. In addition any relaxation of stick input brings the gains back up which slows/stops the yaw rotation.
Danny, thanks for the suggestion. Pop tops were the specific maneuver I found impossible with the cortex installed. Since at the time I was trying to adjust the cortex I hadn't seen any discussions about tuning it I made very small changes but didn't see much improvement. I don't think I got as far as doubling stick priority though. Thanks again..
Old 09-27-2016, 10:52 AM
F1 Rocket

No need to be cautious with the stick priority settings. Some fly with them set wide open. I prefer to use just enough so the airplane releases when it want it to. This way I still have some gain in it when holding smaller stick corrections. For example; holding constant aileron/rudder when landing in a stiff crosswind.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:28 PM
jonchis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys,
got my third Bavarian Demon for my third edf jet. I am using dx18 with 12 channel receiver. like always assigned it to switch E (three position switch) but i only get red or green (switch in pos 1 and 2)light on cortex. no orange. did i miss something in dx 18 settings?? i am not a pro but istalation of other two gyros did not gave me such a challange. please help guys.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:09 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jonchis
hi guys,
got my third Bavarian Demon for my third edf jet. I am using dx18 with 12 channel receiver. like always assigned it to switch E (three position switch) but i only get red or green (switch in pos 1 and 2)light on cortex. no orange. did i miss something in dx 18 settings?? i am not a pro but istalation of other two gyros did not gave me such a challange. please help guys.
Yes, please check your servo monitor for that channel, and see if the 3 position switch actually delivers -100 , 0 , +100 values.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:29 AM
F1 Rocket

You can also plug a spare servo into the rx channel you are using for the gain/mode control. This makes it easy to see if the channel is being driven the full range.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo77
I bought the Cortex to be installed on my Ultra Flash , I start by using it on my Extra 300 .
It has been a few months now and no matter what I do I hate the thing .
My airplane flies better without the gyro .Good luck I will not install on my flash , cause my Flash flies like it is on rails . I do not a gyro for that .
I believe this Gryo is overrated .
I think you kind of hit the nail on the head, Not ever jet of plane will benefit as much form the Cortex,

I love them, it helped my Eurosport with tail wag at high speed, and wing rock at low speed, Is very noticeable in my Ziroli P38 as both motors don't always pull the same.

So I would not expect much of a improvement in a sweet sport jet
Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Every jet will benefit from a Gyro when setup correctly.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:11 PM
jonchis

Originally Posted by i3dm
Yes, please check your servo monitor for that channel, and see if the 3 position switch actually delivers -100 , 0 , +100 values.
thanks for the clue. in servo travel screen it was showing 100%, but in digital switch set up i found out that switch E is set to 20% and -20%. i made it to 100% and problem solved. have no clue why on this switch settings were so low. and only on this switch.
F1 Rocket thanks too.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:29 PM
TonyBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I was wondering if one of you guys could list the proper setup for a sports jet. I don't use the hold mode! Just stabilization.

thanks in advance.

TB
Old 10-03-2016, 06:44 PM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
So I was wondering if one of you guys could list the proper setup for a sports jet. I don't use the hold mode! Just stabilization.

thanks in advance.

TB
Start with 25% for cruise flight and 40% for takeoff and landing. Both in Bank 1 (Amber LED).
Old 10-03-2016, 07:07 PM
jonchis

thanks in advance.

TB
on my two jets (F14 and F15 ) i also do not use hold mode, or in other words i am flying with amber light on my gyro. i am going to use it on SU35 which has thrust vectors and is mo manuverable.
assign gyro to 3 position switch (in my case is switchE on dx18). position 0 is green light or hold mode, position 1 is red light or gyro off and position 2 is amber light which means normal mode. so if you want to use only normal mode always fly with amber light on or switch E in position 2 (in my case).
for the beginning on your transmitter go to servo set up, then to TRAVEL, and find the channel which your gyro is connected to. there will 100% on both modes. then move your switch E to position 2 and you will see that you can change only normal mode input. so reduce it from 100 to 10.
with this screen on you have to take off and in flight start incease input from 10 up. and stop where you feel gyro doing its job. on my F15 i have set at 50. on my F14 i set at 30.
good luck.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:05 PM
TonyBuilder

So I went into the software set up program on my computer and set the servos to digital, I copped bank one onto bank 2 and increased the gain in bank two (the green light).

Any advise in the settings. Bank one is for flying in normal conditions, can I use bank 2 for windy days and cross wind landings? If so how would I set that up on bank two. I don't do a bunch of hot shot flying, basic maneuvers and fun flying.

The software is really nice as you can really fine tune the gyro and get it sweet.

TB
Old 10-04-2016, 10:35 PM
F1 Rocket

If you have copied bank 1 to bank 2 both will now be normal mode. You can confirm this in the software. Set one bank for 25% gain and the other for 40% gain. Use the 25% setting for your first flight. Once you are comfortable you can try the higher gain setting. Every airplane is different but these settings should be a good starting point. Higher gain settings are useful for slow flight such as takeoff or landing. Most guys start by assigning the gain/mode control to a 3 position switch. Your DX-18 has a fairly good gyro control function that will allow you to set gyro gain by flight mode. Create 3 flight modes for takeoff, landing, and cruise. You can then set the gyro gain for each. This way you don't have to remember to switch a separate gain switch.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:47 AM
TonyBuilder

Thanks

Should I leave the course adjustment in the software and just set the fine adjustment (gain) in my radio to 25% and 40%?

What about the stick priority and the locking settings?

TB

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 10-05-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:13 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

You should not need separate banks/gains for calm and for windy days or crosswinds. A gain that is high enough to deal with turbulence but still be safe i.e. not overcorrecting, is still fine for calm weather. Calm weather does not need a lower gain. Different gains might be appropriate for different speeds such as higher gain for all landings, but it is not weather dependent.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:19 AM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by HarryC
You should not need separate banks/gains for calm and for windy days or crosswinds. A gain that is high enough to deal with turbulence but still be safe i.e. not overcorrecting, is still fine for calm weather. Calm weather does not need a lower gain. Different gains might be appropriate for different speeds such as higher gain for all landings, but it is not weather dependent.
That makes sence, so then the higher gain would be in the take off and landing flight mode!

would I assign the gyro to my gear or flap switch for flight modes?

TB
Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Any of the 3 will work. I use the gear switch, my buddy uses his flap switch. Point is, at lower speed you have less mechanical gain (less air moving over the fight surface) so you can get away with more (electronic) gyro gain.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:36 AM
TonyBuilder

Got it, thanks.

TB
Old 10-05-2016, 03:42 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That makes sence, so then the higher gain would be in the take off and landing flight mode!

would I assign the gyro to my gear or flap switch for flight modes?

TB
As Andy has already mentioned, any 3 position switch will work. Still, if all 3 of your flight modes are based on different flap positions, using the flap switch to select them seems a fairly logical choice.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:11 AM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by wfield0455
As Andy has already mentioned, any 3 position switch will work. Still, if all 3 of your flight modes are based on different flap positions, using the flap switch to select them seems a fairly logical choice.
thats what I will do but for the maiden and untill I get it all tuned up I will keep it on a seporate switch so I can turn it off and switch from one to the other.

TB
Old 10-05-2016, 04:59 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

A slider is what I use for maiden so you can tinker with the gain but still center it to off if you really need to though I only ever had one occasion i had to turn it off but that was more airframe related than gyro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.