Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:24 AM
DEMONjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey TB, that sounds like a pretty unique thing you are trying to realize. A little over-engineered maybe from the stabilization side
First of all, answering your first basic question, I would not recommend to feed 2 whatever units from one Rx, using a Y lead to split up the serial protocol to these 2 units. This can result in bad things and is usually not allowed by the Tx/Rx guys anyway.

Regarding the other setup, having the rudder, tail wheel, and breaks stabilized sounds like triple redundancy, which may more likely not work nice. I would stay with rudder and tail wheel.
If you have inner and outer ailerons, separated from each other, I would also only stabilize the outer ones. No need for the inner ones to be stabilized too.
This would reduce the channels via the CORTEX unit(s) to 6 channels, so only use the CORTEXpro. Done.

The setup (teach-in) of the CORTEX units, answering your second question and only in case you really need/want to use both parallel, can easily be done one after the other. No problem. I would not do both at the same time though.

The overall best setup would be to use the CORTEXpro only, in case combined with a distribution box, and serial in-/output. Depending on what radio brand you are using (does not work for Spektrum).
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I'd think on a 47 a gyro working brakes on the mains would just flip it over by its nose.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:37 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't know how well it works in practice, but Electron retracts do differential braking on tricycle gear on warbirds.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:16 PM
BarracudaHockey

I know it works good on tricycle gear like jets, I'd be curious about results with a tail dragger.

My initial thought when I read that was "wow, thats unnecessarily complicated just use it on rudder and tail steering) then Joe pretty much said what I was thinking.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:23 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I know it works good on tricycle gear like jets, I'd be curious about results with a tail dragger.

My initial thought when I read that was "wow, thats unnecessarily complicated just use it on rudder and tail steering) then Joe pretty much said what I was thinking.
+1000 But I know they (Electron) market it that way. I think is is more for those Moki radial CARF sized planes....
Old 11-12-2018, 07:34 PM
TonyBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason for this is scale application not nesesity. I use the Cortex in its natural setting, ailerons, elevator and rudder. For the P-47 I have breaks for static breaking not for landing breaking. Trying the braks on sterling will mostly be used during taxi out allowing me to do a pivot turn. Holding on the runway and just for more control and scale appearance. Ground scale is a big thing for me. It has look really good close up on the ground.

Trying the breaks on sterring is just that. I use my 100cc extra as a test bed. We all know a gyro is not needed on the aerobatic planes. I agree if I do use two Cortex they will be on individual channels. And yes I’m using a DX18 so not powerbox or Sbus.

So it’s ok to just have one servo on each aileron plugged into the Cortex even though there are two mixed per side. Won’t they fight each other?

Thanks for the input
Old 11-13-2018, 03:41 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder

So it’s ok to just have one servo on each aileron plugged into the Cortex even though there are two mixed per side. Won’t they fight each other?

Thanks for the input
If you are using (2) servos per surface both servos will need to be connected to the Cortex Pro.

Danny
Old 11-13-2018, 03:45 AM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket

If you are using (2) servos per surface both servos will need to be connected to the Cortex Pro.

Danny
that’s what I though. Thanks

TB
Old 11-13-2018, 05:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

The reason for this is scale application not nesesity. I use the Cortex in its natural setting, ailerons, elevator and rudder. For the P-47 I have breaks for static breaking not for landing breaking. Trying the braks on sterling will mostly be used during taxi out allowing me to do a pivot turn. Holding on the runway and just for more control and scale appearance. Ground scale is a big thing for me. It has look really good close up on the ground.

Trying the breaks on sterring is just that. I use my 100cc extra as a test bed. We all know a gyro is not needed on the aerobatic planes. I agree if I do use two Cortex they will be on individual channels. And yes I’m using a DX18 so not powerbox or Sbus.

Thanks for the input
Fascinating.

Do us a favor and post up some videos when you're done, I'd love to see that in operation
Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 AM
TonyBuilder

Will do...

TB
Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 AM
DEMONjoe

Ok, we need to be a bit more precise here:
If both servos are driving the same surface, yes, then they both have to be gyro-controlled of course. Otherwise it would kill them. Obvious.
If they drive 2 separated surfaces, inner and outer one, then you can only stabilize the outer one.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:18 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DEMONjoe
Ok, we need to be a bit more precise here:
If both servos are driving the same surface, yes, then they both have to be gyro-controlled of course. Otherwise it would kill them. Obvious.
If they drive 2 separated surfaces, inner and outer one, then you can only stabilize the outer one.
How about on a bi-plane where there are full length ailerons on the top and bottom wing? Each aileron has it's own servo and there are no Y harnesses? Bottom right CH2, bottom left CH-5, top right CH-7, and top left CH-8. Should all 4 be stabilized or should just either the top or bottom 2?
thanks,
Bill
Old 11-16-2018, 05:12 AM
BarracudaHockey

It doesn't matter, stabilizing one set would be fine.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:31 AM
thebluemax

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
It doesn't matter, stabilizing one set would be fine.
Thanks for getting back to me. I have all 4 stabilized and when I turn the gyro on low rate the ailerons oscillate big time and that is at the default settings in the gyro. I did not even try the higher rate as I thought it would be worse. I will go into the pro software and lower the default if it will let me as I have not been able to change anything when I tried before. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:45 AM
BarracudaHockey

I've fooled with these things a lot, it even worked fine on 1 aileron on a 60" Extra.

If I were you I'd try it on one set of ailerons and see if that lets you get some electronic gain back without oscillations.

The way I've explained this in my articles, you have electronic gain (how far the gyro moves the servo for a given movement of its sensor) and mechanical gain (control surface area, speed of the model, control linkage setup)

You need to find a balance that works for that particular model. 3D planes have huge control surfaces but generally lower airspeeds where jets have small surfaces but high air speeds, which is why we need to boost the gain with a mix when the gear or flaps are down in landing configuration and you have both small surfaces and low airspeed.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 AM
thebluemax

Ok. will give that a try. thanks again....
Old 11-16-2018, 07:41 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I am going to be setting up a jet with thrust vectoring. I use Jeti and will be using a Cortex Pro. The Cortex is on the way but is there a good tutorial on how to set this up? I want the gyro to dampen the TV when on but don't want the gyro working the TV when TV is off.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 PM
DEMONjoe

Originally Posted by thebluemax
How about on a bi-plane where there are full length ailerons on the top and bottom wing?
It's absolutely ok to only stabilize one wing, preferred the lower one.
Saves channels and will work just fine.

Originally Posted by thebluemax
...and when I turn the gyro on low rate the ailerons oscillate big time and that is at the default settings in the gyro. I did not even try the higher rate as I thought it would be worse. I will go into the pro software and lower the default...
The software usually is not needed yet. Make sure that you lower the gain on the gyro channel to 15-20% for the first try, not directly engaging like 100% ! This is what I guess may have happened, as usually, every airplane flies without oscillations on a very low gain with factory settings.
If that still does not cure it, then lower the gain inside the software.
And make sure that you set up the gyro (teach-in) on the high rates recommended for the type of airplane. no D/R prior to finalizing the teach-in.
Plus: make sure your linkages are tight and nothing like "rubber band" feel. This can also lead to oscillations, as the gyro has no real control over the airplane.

Last edited by DEMONjoe; 11-18-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:21 AM
DEMONjoe

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
I am going to be setting up a jet with thrust vectoring. I use Jeti and will be using a Cortex Pro. The Cortex is on the way but is there a good tutorial on how to set this up? I want the gyro to dampen the TV when on but don't want the gyro working the TV when TV is off.
Thanks!
Possible, and not too difficult: first you want to hook up your CP to a computer and copy bank 1 to bank 2, so they are both in normal mode and on the identical parameter set. Then get it installed and set up.
Once you did the teach-in, you can select for each bank, which channels should be active. So e.g. in bank 1 deactivate the channels for the TV. In bank 2, keep them active.
Bank 1 is now in "normal flying mode", bank 2 in TV mode, so to speak.
All that's left is to find the right gains for the 2 modes. Most likely a way higher one for TV mode, and a lower one for normal flying.
Maybe you even want a separate 3rd mode for landing/slow flight. But that's a personal feel thing. I guess you will be fine with the 2 mentioned above.

Last edited by DEMONjoe; 11-19-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More than 2 banks?

I am interested in more than 2 banks. How can this be accomplished?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Neal
Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 AM
DEMONjoe

Well, you can program as many different gains as you like using a modern radio.
The additional parameter inside the banks can only be 2 sets max, but the gains can be multiple ones, e.g. 60% for landing and slow flight / full flaps, 50% for half flaps, 35% for normal flight, 90% for thrust vectoring, etc.
The gyro menu is perfect to realize things like this.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:58 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobneal1
I am interested in more than 2 banks. How can this be accomplished?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Neal
Bob curious as to how you would use more than two?
Bob
Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 AM
DEMONjoe

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Bob curious as to how you would use more than two?
Bob
You could link more gain setups to things like flap position. If you have 3 flap positions, and you want to max out the assistance by the gyro, then you will most likely ends up with one gain setting per flap position. Plus one for thrust vectoring, that would make 4 setups.
Still, it remains 2 banks. So features like the channel deactivation or other fine tuning available inside the software, can only be set up in 2 different versions. But refering to gains, it can result in multiple ones.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 AM
alfawaz

Default Cortex pro + Futaba 6014HS

Hello everyone I would greatly appreciate some help here and any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to connect my cortex pro with Futaba 6014HS + smartfly micro 14F

I have total of 7 servos/surface I want to stabilize(biplane)

how do I go about connect those directly to the cortex pro?

as I understood from the manual and YouTube each channel on the pro corresponds to the same channel on the receiver. So I connect the servo at channel 1 in the number 1 port in the pro and so on. then what do I do with the 7th channel?

Then how do I connect the pro to the receiver? I assume I use the SBUS port on the receiver to connect to one of the channels on the pro?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:18 AM
janmb

Originally Posted by alfawaz
Hello everyone I would greatly appreciate some help here and any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to connect my cortex pro with Futaba 6014HS + smartfly micro 14F

I have total of 7 servos/surface I want to stabilize(biplane)

how do I go about connect those directly to the cortex pro?

as I understood from the manual and YouTube each channel on the pro corresponds to the same channel on the receiver. So I connect the servo at channel 1 in the number 1 port in the pro and so on. then what do I do with the 7th channel?

Then how do I connect the pro to the receiver? I assume I use the SBUS port on the receiver to connect to one of the channels on the pro?
I believe that 6 stabilized channels is the maximum you can get in pwm mode. If you want / need more, I think you need to run sbus through the cp for all the stabilized surfaces, which in turn means you need either sbus servos or sbus to pwm hubs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.