RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

All new Merlin M70XMBL

Old 04-06-2017, 02:57 AM
Midas D.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I take your GIF as an beautiful compliment mate, Thanks!

Old 04-06-2017, 04:54 AM
Gaspar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,

My policies are to not use the forums to discuss commercial things, nor particular things concerning a particular issue on a particular product that could not be useful for other people, usually I only post general technical information that could help others.

I think all costumers that had contacted Xicoy and Jetsmunt have had a timely and honest answer so far, if an email has been missed, I apologize for the mistake and invite you to resend again, we process about 60 emails daily, so mistakes happen, especially when an email is sent to more than one receiver.

About the M70, we are very sorry for the delays that had accumulated, and fully understand that now is the start of the flying season in northern hemisphere, so many customers need the engine ASAP.

Jetsmunt do know that often there are issues with the production of engines. There are parts, like Inconel castings, that have a delivery delay of 16 weeks (4 months) supposing that the tooling is correct, if a new tool should be done, then 4 weeks more for tool manufacture should be accounted for. For this reason, in the 13 years since Jetsmunt is manufacturing engines, never we have asked money to a customer until the engine is packed and ready to ship. This apply to new engines and in repairs. This policy had caused some headaches here, people just not answering emails, others saying “will pay tomorrow” forever, and a collection of repaired engines taking dust in the shelves waiting that costumer show signs of life. But, despite these incidences, we believe that it is not fair to take money for something that cannot be shipped today, so we will continue doing same policy, JetsMunt is a successful company and don’t need to take customer loans for normal work.

Back to M70, we had an issue with first production engines that shown abnormal wear on the rear bearing due at excessive heat. The main issue was the differences from the prototype parts (some handmade and many “hand tweaked” and mass production parts. The cause of heat was the temperature distribution on the turbine disk. Obvious solution was to re-make the tooling and run a new batch of cast part, but this was to take 5 month. So we have been working in to find a solution using current available parts while the new castings where made, and tests done these last month showed promising, to the point of considering that we would be able to deliver engines sooner, having achieved to have few engines running well using the old castings, but in in practical terms, the expertise and time necessary to tune each engine for optimum performance is excessive to allow an stable manufacture rate and keeping the cost of the engine to the price we announced.

New cast parts should arrive the week after Easter, and I’m confident that these will solve the issues and ease the manufacture, but, as always, until the engines are not built and tested, we cannot assure anything, so at this moment we cannot give to any costumer a closed delivery date. As soon as we have the engines in regular production, we will begin to contact the customers that are on the waiting list giving the estimate delivery date.

Again, jetsmunt team is very sorry for the delays caused, and be confident that we are doing our best to have these engines in production. There isn’t anyone else more interested in to have the engines sold than ourselves!

Best regards,

Jets Munt team & Gaspar
Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 PM
ira d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspar View Post
Hello,

My policies are to not use the forums to discuss commercial things, nor particular things concerning a particular issue on a particular product that could not be useful for other people, usually I only post general technical information that could help others.

I think all costumers that had contacted Xicoy and Jetsmunt have had a timely and honest answer so far, if an email has been missed, I apologize for the mistake and invite you to resend again, we process about 60 emails daily, so mistakes happen, especially when an email is sent to more than one receiver.

About the M70, we are very sorry for the delays that had accumulated, and fully understand that now is the start of the flying season in northern hemisphere, so many customers need the engine ASAP.

Jetsmunt do know that often there are issues with the production of engines. There are parts, like Inconel castings, that have a delivery delay of 16 weeks (4 months) supposing that the tooling is correct, if a new tool should be done, then 4 weeks more for tool manufacture should be accounted for. For this reason, in the 13 years since Jetsmunt is manufacturing engines, never we have asked money to a customer until the engine is packed and ready to ship. This apply to new engines and in repairs. This policy had caused some headaches here, people just not answering emails, others saying “will pay tomorrow” forever, and a collection of repaired engines taking dust in the shelves waiting that costumer show signs of life. But, despite these incidences, we believe that it is not fair to take money for something that cannot be shipped today, so we will continue doing same policy, JetsMunt is a successful company and don’t need to take customer loans for normal work.

Back to M70, we had an issue with first production engines that shown abnormal wear on the rear bearing due at excessive heat. The main issue was the differences from the prototype parts (some handmade and many “hand tweaked” and mass production parts. The cause of heat was the temperature distribution on the turbine disk. Obvious solution was to re-make the tooling and run a new batch of cast part, but this was to take 5 month. So we have been working in to find a solution using current available parts while the new castings where made, and tests done these last month showed promising, to the point of considering that we would be able to deliver engines sooner, having achieved to have few engines running well using the old castings, but in in practical terms, the expertise and time necessary to tune each engine for optimum performance is excessive to allow an stable manufacture rate and keeping the cost of the engine to the price we announced.

New cast parts should arrive the week after Easter, and I’m confident that these will solve the issues and ease the manufacture, but, as always, until the engines are not built and tested, we cannot assure anything, so at this moment we cannot give to any costumer a closed delivery date. As soon as we have the engines in regular production, we will begin to contact the customers that are on the waiting list giving the estimate delivery date.

Again, jetsmunt team is very sorry for the delays caused, and be confident that we are doing our best to have these engines in production. There isn’t anyone else more interested in to have the engines sold than ourselves!

Best regards,

Jets Munt team & Gaspar
I think its great we heard from the manufacture on this.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:05 PM
roger.alli

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas D. View Post
Did a Downpayment mate!!

Luckily the dealer witch i go thru understands customer service very well and took care of it and my down payment came back as a refund.
Glad yougot your money back.. BUT, you probably should not have ever paid a deposit.

My experiences on “pre ordering Munts engines”.

I own three, VT 80, M140, M200 XLB. I purchased the M140 direct from Munts, and the other two were through our local dealer Jet Product Australia.

The M 140 and M 200 were both “pre ordered” and I had to wait for them, as people are currently waiting for the M 70.

Neither Munts or my local dealer took or any deposit. No payment was made until the engines were ready to ship. This is Munts policy, as Gasper has indicated above.

If people are paying deposits to their dealers for the M 70, they may be being taken advantage of.. Gapser is pretty clear on this issue..

BTW, all my engines are still going strong, and I will not hesitate to recommend them.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:06 PM
roger.alli

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Double post sorry.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:34 PM
philjac94

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.alli View Post
Double post sorry.
To be honest Roger I've taken a deposit for engines before but the most I would take is $100. Especially when it's from someone Ive never met before. I have also refunded money when they have changed their minds. My reputation is worth more than witholding $100. I would be very wary of any supplier asking for full payment long before release........they are more than likely "robbing Peter to pay Paul" so to speak, having said that, most of us have no trouble paying in full for a jet kit and not hear anything further for 6months. People here question manufacturers integrity...its a 2 way street, not all customers have integrity about them. You would be suprized at how many customers make you order in engines or gear and then refuse to pay because their grandmother died again or "I've paid the money, just send it up". Any money I've taken only serves to prove their intent and without letting too much out of the bag, future orders from proven reputable customers are taken without deposit.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:30 PM
roger.alli

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok.. I follow.

Which reminds me, I owe you some $..
Old 04-06-2017, 09:14 PM
philjac94

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't worry too much about it...your stuff is regular stock items and I know your good for it
Old 05-17-2017, 08:13 AM
why_fly_high

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am curious if there is any news on this engine?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:41 AM
CRye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sneeking in a 200 pipe question

Ola, Gaspar,I have a JM200XBL I purchased as the third owner but never started. It was originally sold by Dreamworks.I have installed it in a used Aurora I spent the last year correcting substandard work on.My pipe is 83mm inner diameter and 34 inches, about 850mm long.I understand from Todd, Dreamworks the ID is marginal and I should keep a watch for heat stress ie bluing of the stainless.I currently have a forward smoke pipe at the entrance of the pipe but I plan to change to end of pipe before I run smoke. Partially out of concern for the pipe.

I want to make some flights before I change the pipe.
What is the optimum inner diameter for this length pipe on a 200? I prefer takeoff thrust over max speed. Do you consider 83 mm x 850 to be a hazard if watched? I don’t fly full throttle much.

Thank you

Charles
Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 PM
grolleman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

any news
It is very quiet.
I'm still very interested in this engine
Old 06-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolleman View Post
any news
It is very quiet.
I'm still very interested in this engine
If we make up a wild enough story based on rumors, fire and such Gaspar will chime in with the correct info ;-)
Old 06-14-2017, 02:16 AM
digitech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRye View Post
Ola, Gaspar,I have a JM200XBL I purchased as the third owner but never started. It was originally sold by Dreamworks.I have installed it in a used Aurora I spent the last year correcting substandard work on.My pipe is 83mm inner diameter and 34 inches, about 850mm long.I understand from Todd, Dreamworks the ID is marginal and I should keep a watch for heat stress ie bluing of the stainless.I currently have a forward smoke pipe at the entrance of the pipe but I plan to change to end of pipe before I run smoke. Partially out of concern for the pipe.

What is the optimum inner diameter for this length pipe on a 200? I prefer takeoff thrust over max speed. Do you consider 83 mm x 850 to be a hazard if watched? I don’t fly full throttle much.

Thank you

Charles

i use this simple but working theory you take the turbines exhaust outlet diameter and you thrustpipe diameter , the difference of those 2 is the distance your turbine should be mounted from the thrustpipe.
83m sounds a bit small if you ask me , but hey! just telling you what i do.
on a 200 i would use a 90 mm
Old 09-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Swisstyphoon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was talking to Gaspar at the Jetpower fair last Weekend.
He told me that they still couldn't find why the bearings are overheating and have to be replaced at around 10hrs.
They have a work around, but that would require a whole new production of parts. (slightly longer turbine)
Since they already have alot of pre made parts, they will try to make them work, before throwing away the whole batch...
He said the testing is really time consuming, and it is hard for him to find enough time to work on it. Gaspar said he is not able to tell a date. They could find the problem by tomorrow, in a few weeks, or it could even take months...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_121129.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2233037  

Last edited by Swisstyphoon; 09-21-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:09 PM
c_makhija

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisstyphoon View Post
I was talking to Gaspar at the Jetpower fair last Weekend.
He told me that they still could not find why the bearings are overheating and have to be replaced at around 10hrs.
They have a work around, but that would require a whole new production of parts. (slightly longer turbine)
Since they already have alot of pre made parts, they will try to make them work, before throwing away the whole batch...
He said the testing is really time consuming, and it is hard for him to find enough time to work on it.
Well this means it's not going to be launched soon.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:20 PM
RemoteJets

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, and in the meantime everyone is switching to the Kingtech K70G ;-)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Swisstyphoon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteJets View Post
that's what I did too!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:36 PM
Carsten Groen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteJets View Post
Indeed!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:45 AM
daniberry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best part of this is its thrust which makes it awesome.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:20 AM
Bob_B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I compliment Gaspar for being upfront and honest about the delay.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:58 AM
Midas D.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 09-22-2017, 08:17 PM
olnico

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRye View Post

Thank you

Charles
Wow. You are going to implode that pipe at no notice in flight.
It is way too narrow for the length.

Gaspar's 200 has a pretty high efflux velocity. On a 850 mm pipe, I would recommend 110 mm ID to keep the vacuum levels in the pipe reasonable.

Last edited by olnico; 09-22-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Henke Torphammar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by olnico View Post
Wow. You are going to implode that pipe at no notice in flight.
It is way too narrow for the length.

Gaspar's 200 has a pretty high efflux velocity. On a 850 mm pipe, I would recommend 110 mm ID to keep the vacuum levels in the pipe reasonable.
Very much depends on the setup. We use 75mm tubes for 240N engines over here :-) I know Frank engines can not take too much back pressure etc.....
Old 09-23-2017, 06:39 PM
olnico

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar View Post
Very much depends on the setup. We use 75mm tubes for 240N engines over here :-) I know Frank engines can not take too much back pressure etc.....
Not on a 850 mm pipe my friend.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:08 AM
Vettster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

closer to apples vrs apples... I recently asked Gaspar what is the smallest pipe size I can run with a Merlin 100xbl.. He said it has to do with the size of the intakes. In my case the intakes are small so I can go as small as 68mm ID.. with larger intakes I would have to go up to 75-80mm.

Just sayin

Last edited by Vettster; 09-25-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Search this Thread