Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

big saab gripen crash

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

big saab gripen crash

Old 09-22-2016, 03:37 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

> Where do you react the root bending moment of a fin if there is no structure below it?

well put, the vertical fin and fuselage mount in a lot of ways deserves special consideration as a type of cantilevered structure when loaded as it is in knife edge flight.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:53 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dbsonic
> Where do you react the root bending moment of a fin if there is no structure below it?

well put, the vertical fin and fuselage mount in a lot of ways deserves special consideration as a type of cantilevered structure when loaded as it is in knife edge flight.

Actually, we had an interesting debate awhile back about the "scale" aspect of knife-edge flight in jet models. You see scale model jets doing knife edge passes all the time, but it turns out that the vertical fins on many full-scale jets are not stressed for those kinds of loads...

Bob
Old 09-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alasdair
In R/C Model World, June to September 2009, I wrote a series of articles on "Scale Science", titled Scale Speed, Scale Weight, Scale Power and Scale Spreadsheet. That last one included a spreadsheet which could, for a while, be downloaded from Traplet Publications website.

Scale Science

The science argument goes like this. We use the same lift coefficient as the full size, so the speed and weight are directly related by the common equation which is used to define lift coefficient Cl.
W=L=1/2.rho.V[SUP]2[/SUP].S.Cl
If the speed V of a 1/6 scale model is to be 1/6 that of the full size (Linear Scale) then the model’s weight has to be full size weight divided by 6x6x6x6 or 1296. However models don’t fly straight for long, we are constantly turning and flying manoeuvres. If the size of the turns and loops of a 1/6 model is to be 1/6 that of the full size (Dynamic Scale) then the model’s weight has to be full size weight divided by 6x6x6 or 216. We are talking two vastly different aircraft. The light one flies scale linear speed but it turns and loops impossibly tightly and looks generally jerky. The heavy one flies nice scale manoeuvres but lands like a runaway train. We need to choose a compromise in between these two extremes for realistic scale flight.
I noted in the articles that the Skygate Hawks built down to 20kg for the Jet Masters looked floaty, and would look more convincing at 24 kg

The 20 kg Hawks had a weight index (Wix for short) of about 4. In other words their weight was scaled down by the scale factor to the power 4, which results in Linear Scale flight, but floaty, jerky manoeuvres.

Now look at a 1:2 size Gripen, an aircraft whose weight is, say 18800 lb, thrust (dry) 54000 N

For a light floaty model (Linear Scale) it should weigh 18800 divided by 2^4 or 2x2x2x2 giving 1175 lb or 534 kg

For Dynamic Scale a model should weigh 18800 / 2^3 or 2x2x2 giving 2350 lb or 1068 kg

Those are the lower and upper limits for any semblance of scale realism. At the lower weight of 534 kg my spreadsheet suggests a scale thrust requirement of 4155 N thrust for scale performance.

This model under discussion was a tissue paper model, so far from scale science that it is not surprising that it blew apart. Only the model was damaged, so no harm done.

I am sure it is quite possible to build a vast scale-shaped model that will fly unrealistically but still hold together, but WHY?
Very interesting read my friend but little too complex for an ave modeler math wise. I thought I was little conservative suggesting the AUW should be around 300 kilo mark. I always thought the removable rudder fin would be the weakest point in this build for aero maneuvers. To with stand the stresses of KE it would definitely have to be build fully fixed to the well reinforced rear part of the air frame, but not very practical for transport in this size model, just a thought.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Surely the maths are very simple indeed, a few multiplications and a division.

However, the simple equation given by Alisdair may not be familiar to some guys. It is a basic equation, one of the very first to be learnt on any aerodynamics course. It defines aerodynamic force for lift and drag, so:
W=L=1/2 rho, v2.S.Cl.

Where :
W is weight.
L is Lift ( lift = weight in level flight)
Rho is air density.
V is velocity.
S is area.
Cl is lift coefficient. ( function of wing section )

So knowing these values lift can calculated.

To calculate drag, substitute Cd (drag coefficient) for Cl to get drag.

I recall that in my RAF time we lost two Gnats with fin failure, it's not an unknown problem, so let's hope the new Scale. Composites Gnat is strongly constructed and flown with consideration of the very tall fin. (Although I am sure John will ! )

Frankly I see absolutely no reason why the fin on the SAAB or any othe model could not be made removable, all it needs is sound design, after all many wings , much bigger than the Gripen,s fin are removable.

David
Old 09-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Joseph Frost

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Surely the maths are very simple indeed, a few multiplications and a division.

However, the simple equation given by Alisdair may not be familiar to some guys. It is a basic equation, one of the very first to be learnt on any aerodynamics course. It defines aerodynamic force for lift and drag, so:
W=L=1/2 rho, v2.S.Cl.

Where :
W is weight.
L is Lift ( lift = weight in level flight)
Rho is air density.
V is velocity.
S is area.
Cl is lift coefficient. ( function of wing section )

So knowing these values lift can calculated.

To calculate drag, substitute Cd (drag coefficient) for Cl to get drag.

I recall that in my RAF time we lost two Gnats with fin failure, it's not an unknown problem, so let's hope the new Scale. Composites Gnat is strongly constructed and flown with consideration of the very tall fin. (Although I am sure John will ! )

Frankly I see absolutely no reason why the fin on the SAAB or any othe model could not be made removable, all it needs is sound design, after all many wings , much bigger than the Gripen,s fin are removable.

David
Thank you for the great explain, I was never into theory of aerodynamics, more of a practical RC modeler. Regarding the Gripen,s fin attachment, as said above there was very little strength integrity to do KE, totally busted! Cheers.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just watched the video. That thing blew apart like it was built by FEJ.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Joseph Frost

Sorry, who is FEJ?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:22 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It was worse than anything built by FEJ. I can say for sure that no flutter was visible or audible, because I was watching it. There was a crack as he went knife edge, and then it was over in a second. The snowstorm of balsa floating down told its own tale. I am unsure of the point of building a model of a mach 2 jet fighter that flies like a thermal soarer. Why?
This was not the worst incident at the show IMO. As we arrived early Friday we were watching a sports jet fly, when it lost half of its wing. With amazing control, the piiot somehow managed to complete 3/4 of a circuit and "land" the model on the runway. There was nothing left of the airframe, so I could not actually identify the model type. Whilst the pilot could get full marks for skill, he scores zero for intelligence. He had acres of grass to safely dump the model on, and had a softer landing. But personally I would have grounded the guy because he was flying a barely controlled, high speed model, at one point directly towards the crowd. No imagination! Clearly the safety of the public and other pilots was less important than this guys ego.
John
Old 09-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMac
But personally I would have grounded the guy because he was flying a barely controlled, high speed model, at one point directly towards the crowd. No imagination! Clearly the safety of the public and other pilots was less important than this guys ego.
John
I think they did! The German flight leader spent quite some time talking about this on saturday briefing. It only came through in German though, the english translator sort of shortend it down to almost nothing :-P

Even though I brought my slowflyer this year I never fly towards the crowd. Things can fail at any time at any speed.

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 09-24-2016 at 07:20 AM.