Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat P300 blew up with NO REFUND!!!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat P300 blew up with NO REFUND!!!

Old 09-19-2016, 05:17 PM
spaceman 01
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry JetCat P300 blew up with NO REFUND!!!

BEWARE OF JetCat and their products!
I never expected JetCat to treat me the way they did after being the owner of 8 of their engines.
Here is the story. I was at Baldin Michigan jets in June, trying to fly my big 1/5 scale mirage 2000 from aviation design with a P300 for the powerplan. Right before rotating for take off, the engine blew up in the middle of the runway. We rushed to the airplane and I saw the engine had split into two pieces with lots of bolts, pieces and selenoids in my fuselage. Three of my friends witnessed the incident, we took pictures and video was taken while it happened. My friend Dave Murry submitted all this information to JetCats and the engine itself. They had the engine for two plus months and they never reply, until we pressed them and they said the guarantee had expired by two months. The engine had only 12 flights for these 3 years and two months period and they offered me another brand new engine for $3000. When we received the engine we were missing all the accessories and they did not even replace the engine mount, therefore it is half of the engine. They sent me the blown up mount and the can, so the engine is not even worth $3000 without anything, therefore I did not accept. They had promise they would send a complete engine for that amount. I am out $6200 for the original engine, plus the $200 for shipping charges, and they wanted me to spend another $3000 plus the shipping so I told Dave to reject.
I do not want to deal with JetCat again and I will warn everyone around me in the jet community so they are aware of this unprofessional company.
See the attached pictures.
Nick Mitrakos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160610_181329.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	2181575   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160610_181333.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2181576   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160610_181446.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	2181577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160610_181503.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	2181578  
Old 09-19-2016, 05:43 PM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Have contacted dreamworks? They are stand up guys and might be able to help with your jetcat problems. They put their name behind the product so maybe they will help. Good luck I couldn't imagine losing money like that.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Kingtech Is coming out with a new BIG BLOCK power turbine, and My dealings with Barry, and moreso DIrk have been absolutely fantastic as far as support and service. And that is what will keep me going back to them for all my power needs.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:24 PM
spaceman 01

Dreamworks know about this but they got into this not to long ago. The engine was purchased from Bob. I do not want to loose my money but what can I do?
The only thing that I can do is to remaind the jet pilots not to do any business with Jet Cat and there products every time I see them.
I am out about $6,500.00, but JETCAT will be out a lot more, in to the six figures .
BEWARE ! BEWARE ! BEWARE! TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:27 PM
spaceman 01

I Fly king tech also and I have no problem . I have five of their engines no issues I just send in my 140 G for the 25 hour service.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:57 PM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I fly three different turbines, I own jetcat, kingtech and Jet central as well. I cannot say I have had any problems at the moment with either one. I have seen tech support for all three first hand with my own engines and I can say without a doubt JC and KT have great support and Dreamworks helped me with my P200 but I have not run into issues like this. I hope jetcat makes things right, good luck.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:41 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought the P-300 was not intended for the US market. I don't see it listed on any of the official sites. What were the conditions for getting ahold of one of these turbines so long ago?
Old 09-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Try taking your Car out of warranty to get the engine fixed...

I do feel for people, but they are a business-yes its a hobby and people seem to think everything should be like working with mates, but they have to make money to survive.

Fact is that turbines that sit for long periods are more likely to have bearing problems than ones flown every month. My friend has just sent his 100 hour 37 minute P-120 in for a service...

Posting like this is like a child with a broken toy, you guys ask why people leave RCU...here is one reason

Dave
Old 09-19-2016, 11:51 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere

I do feel for people, but they are a business-yes its a hobby and people seem to think everything should be like working with mates, but they have to make money to survive.

Fact is that turbines that sit for long periods are more likely to have bearing problems than ones flown every month. My friend has just sent his 100 hour 37 minute P-120 in for a service...

Posting like this is like a child with a broken toy, you guys ask why people leave RCU...here is one reason

Dave
+1
Old 09-20-2016, 01:01 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to jump in here, but this comparison is a bit off. Ever heard of Manufacturer curtesy before? Audi changed my gearing unit after 5 years and 99k miles down free of charge, because it was a "known" defect in the car. They didnt care about warranty or miles.

As far as i know there were quite some P300 engines blowing up, at least here in Germany, one of them being the engine from a friend of mine. Same problem as described from OP. The guy I am referring to was lucky enough to get the engine replaced + a voucher on top because the airframe was damaged as well. I think Jetcat was a bit reluctant to help him first, but a slight warning about getting help from a lawyer somehow made things work.

@OP: Contact me via PN, I will ask my friend if I can get you in touch with him, if you want.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:22 AM
spaceman 01

That's my Point they knew they have a problem and they did not do anything most of the P -300 have blew up .
Also for Dave, I did not have one of there engines, I had given them business for eight of them.
thats not how you treat your customers and also I do not want to mention that I have given money to Marcus to send me extension wires in Florida about four years ago and he never did sent them to me. thank you
Old 09-20-2016, 03:51 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

that blows! (pun intended!)

Jetcat reminds of JetJoe lately, except with JetJoe you'd be out half that much.

Last edited by FalconWings; 09-20-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:10 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave
I don't agree Dave. 12 flights on a $6500 engine before it blows up is unacceptable regardless of whether it is 2 months out of Jetcat's 3 yr. warranty. Any company that builds a quality product would agree and would repair the engine outside of the warranty period provide the OP is being above board with the circumstances.

I for one, appreciate when someone lets us know that a manufacturer will not stand behind their product, it weighs heavily in my buying decision.

Why should sharing ones experience scare the "experts" away, unless they wish to hide from reality?

Mike
Old 09-20-2016, 04:27 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
I don't agree Dave. 12 flights on a $6500 engine before it blows up is unacceptable regardless of whether it is 2 months out of Jetcat's 3 yr. warranty. Any company that builds a quality product would agree and would repair the engine outside of the warranty period provide the OP is being above board with the circumstances.

I for one, appreciate when someone lets us know that a manufacturer will not stand behind their product, it weighs heavily in my buying decision.

Why should sharing ones experience scare the "experts" away, unless they wish to hide from reality?

Mike
Really, I didn't know folks were still buying JetCat. They've become a rarity these days.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel for you Nick. I gave up on Jetcat after being a total loyalist for over 12 years. Gone are the days when we could call Bob or John and they would bend over backwards to help. For me it was the P180rx issues that finally drove me over the edge. Then a fellow club member and I stopped and did the math - 7 of our last 10 Jetcats went back for service under 2 hours run time for warranty issues. What I fail to understand is why Jetcat reliability has fallen over the years, especially once the RX series came out. I admit there will be some bugs once in production but seems like Jetcat's level is too high. I have switched to Kingtech and happy so far, but others not so much and trying the Behotec route.

Last edited by sc0tt; 09-20-2016 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:43 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys remember we have rules about about 'bashing'. There are posts in this thread that are on the edge.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:39 AM
GhostRider 1

Originally Posted by spaceman 01
That's my Point they knew they have a problem and they did not do anything most of the P -300 have blew up .
Also for Dave, I did not have one of there engines, I had given them business for eight of them.
thats not how you treat your customers and also I do not want to mention that I have given money to Marcus to send me extension wires in Florida about four years ago and he never did sent them to me. thank you
Spaceman 01,

Warranties are set for a reason and they don't have stipulations saying it starts from time of use, it is from date of sale, period!! Auto manufacturers will at times offer a "good will warranty" when a vehicle is out of warranty. Auto manufacturers also make $3-$10,000 profit per unit sold, sell 100's of thousands of units a years and make billions in profits, not the case with our hobby engine makers. You say "you owned 8 of these P300's and they were known to have defects", if you knew they had defects, why would you sit on an engine for 3+ years and not send it back for upgrades? Shame on you!! You chose to play Russian roulette and lost, now you are unhappy about it and it is all Jet Cats fault?? You also think, because you buy multiple engines, you should get better treatment than a guy like me that only bought 1, now that is arrogant!! I am not a JetCat owner or advocate trying to defend them in anyway, I personally prefer KingTech, but rules are rules and it is what it is, get over it, it's a hobby.

My .02,

Ghostrider 1 Out!!
Old 09-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear this Spaceman.

I was screwed over by them last winter. 4 months to change the dented can and bearings is unacceptable. I immediately sold all my JetCats engines and my life has been so much better!!

JetMunt allllll the way now

Last edited by Vettster; 09-20-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostRider 1
Spaceman 01,

Warranties are set for a reason and they don't have stipulations saying it starts from time of use, it is from date of sale, period!! Auto manufacturers will at times offer a "good will warranty" when a vehicle is out of warranty. Auto manufacturers also make $3-$10,000 profit per unit sold, sell 100's of thousands of units a years and make billions in profits, not the case with our hobby engine makers. You say "you owned 8 of these P300's and they were known to have defects", if you knew they had defects, why would you sit on an engine for 3+ years and not send it back for upgrades? Shame on you!! You chose to play Russian roulette and lost, now you are unhappy about it and it is all Jet Cats fault?? You also think, because you buy multiple engines, you should get better treatment than a guy like me that only bought 1, now that is arrogant!! I am not a JetCat owner or advocate trying to defend them in anyway, I personally prefer KingTech, but rules are rules and it is what it is, get over it, it's a hobby.

My .02,

Ghostrider 1 Out!!
***? "Warranties are set for a reason". Yes, that would be to protect the consumer against buying junk.

"Auto manufacturers will at times offer a "good will warranty" when a vehicle is out of warranty. Auto manufacturers also make $3-$10,000 profit per unit sold, sell 100's of thousands of units a years and make billions in profits, not the case with our hobby engine makers."

Is that why the government had to bail them out? They offer 'good will" when then know they have a problem with their product.

"y
ou say "you owned 8 of these P300's and they were known to have defects"

He said he owned 8 Jetcats, not 8 P300's!

"You chose to play Russian roulette and lost, now you are unhappy about it and it is all Jet Cats fault??

Why should buying a Jetcat be akin to playing Russian Roulette???

"My .02,"

Thanks but, I feel ripped off lol

You can't seriously think that 12 runs on a P-300 before it blows up is acceptable or good value? $542 a flight, not bad!!!

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 09-20-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:24 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does Jetcat USA service P300's?
Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Dave
+1
Old 09-20-2016, 09:56 AM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Heheheheh P300=

Some more P300 failing --> #1198

I feel for you Nick, wish you to solve this. By the way your plane is fantastic, glad nothing happened to it.

Tassos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rr1.jpg
Views:	1331
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	2181642  
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2016, 12:11 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Nick,
I am currently in Germany visiting JetCat; I am not personally aware of your issue and have no knowledge of what has transpired to this point however, I will certainly discuss your engine failure with George and Marcus tomorrow to understand why the repair was rejected under warranty and if a fair and reasonable resolution can be reached. The P300 has a very reliable record, amazing how a small number of failures extrapolate into the rcuniverse!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:19 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Does Jetcat USA service P300's?
Yes Andy, we currently service almost every JetCat engine model available, in-house. I believe this transpired prior to our service center operations being open for the JetCat brand.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:38 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc

Mike
I agree and if things are as the OP described Jetcat is doing more harm to their future sales than what they gained by beating the OP out of 6K.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.