Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle F-14

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle F-14

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:09 PM
tisdall_80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fly Eagle F-14

A friend of mine is selling and unstarted Fly Eagle F-14 kit. Its the Deluxe kit (All Plywood) with everything pre-installed. I know there is a lot of negative feed back regarding these jets.. My question is. Has anyone had success with one of these F-14's ? If so, what modifications did you carry out on the model ??
Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 PM
EDFJim
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a flying highly modified F-14 i will sell also
Old 09-23-2016, 12:14 AM
tisdall_80

Hi Jim. What Mods did you do?
Old 09-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are aware of all the "negative feedback" why are you even considering this thing?

I will ask the question another way. How much disposable income do you have? If you choose to build this piece of crap, you will be disposing of around 15 to 20k.

Just don't fly it around innocent people that could be injured when it hits the ground in a big fireball.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have some extra pieces you can have. You never know when you'll need a 1/4 of a stab or 1/5 of a wing.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:23 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a smodering hole in the ground buy it. Otherwise you will be better off running away from that deal. I wouldn't waste turbines on that model. They are just going to get trashed.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:25 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If we leave the Hyperbole alone for a moment, to answer the original posters question, yes there are examples of this model flying successfully in Europe. There was a Brit flying one for a few years, and a German guy has been campaigning one for some years now. These are the original Plyood former construction and there is no honeycomb in these models, so they have not fallen apart in the air. That is the good news.
Conversly, the model is very heavy and must land quite fast (although this can be improved with the slatted wing version and spit flaps). There is much work to do to make it right e.g. fuselage stiffeness, wing bearings etc.
So, yes this model can be made to fly but you can expect a lot of work, and need a lot of modelling and engineering prowess along the way,
John
Old 09-25-2016, 07:16 AM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by JohnMac
So, yes this model can be made to fly but you can expect a lot of work, and need a lot of modelling and engineering prowess along the way,John
Translation, unless you are a structural engineer and a master builder walk away from this project.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy, didn't we already tell him this?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:08 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

He's a master builder so there is the first tick in the box.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Damo260

That he is Dave I don't so associate with Andy only at jet events he'll get this air worthy to fly

Damo
Old 09-26-2016, 10:44 AM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Andy, didn't we already tell him this?
Probably. I can't remember how many times I've warned people about FEJ.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:49 PM
stevekott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an older plywood version that I bought in a similar way. I'm still going through it. I wouldn't fly one without going through it. I found a couple of weak formers I have had to replace.

I had a buddy of mine lose an F-14 SKYMASTER because the elevator arm bent an jumped.out of the grove. He was able to land it (roughly) but one of the motors got fodded up and lit on fire, total loss on the ground.

All of these planes can have issues. FEJ just has had a few more than anyone else.

Just go through everything. Like you would buying a used aircraft that someone else built.

I am an engineer so I enjoy the challenge of coming up with fixes for things. It may become a smoking hole someday. It wouldn't be my first. Gravity and Murphy's Law are always at work.

Happy Flying
Old 10-01-2016, 06:02 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Originally Posted by Pylonracr
If you are aware of all the "negative feedback" why are you even considering this thing?
My understanding is the negative feed back is on the honey comb version and the company itself.

If there's no honeycomb there's a greater chance of success with the model no?

tia

...Just don't fly it around innocent people that could be injured when it hits the ground in a big fireball.
This goes along with the first question, with the non honeycomb version is less risk?

I've not heard or read that the non honeycomb version of the model is bad like the honeycomb version

Thx in advance
Old 10-01-2016, 07:04 AM
erh7771

Originally Posted by JohnMac
If we leave the Hyperbole alone for a moment, to answer the original posters question, yes there are examples of this model flying successfully in Europe. There was a Brit flying one for a few years, and a German guy has been campaigning one for some years now. These are the original Plyood former construction and there is no honeycomb in these models, so they have not fallen apart in the air. That is the good news.
Conversly, the model is very heavy and must land quite fast (although this can be improved with the slatted wing version and spit flaps). There is much work to do to make it right e.g. fuselage stiffeness, wing bearings etc.
So, yes this model can be made to fly but you can expect a lot of work, and need a lot of modelling and engineering prowess along the way,
John
Are the mods due mostly to the weight of the model with twin turbines?

I plan on making mine EDF with the new 144 fans and graphene packs, I expect my AUW to be around 50 - 55 lbs with twin 16ah packs

Thx in advance
Old 10-01-2016, 07:06 AM
erh7771

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Probably. I can't remember how many times I've warned people about FEJ.
So every single jets of their jets are bad?

I know people who've been flying the pre honey comb for years... 1 - 200 touch downs

thx in advance
Old 10-01-2016, 07:08 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by erh7771
Are the mods due mostly to the weight of the model with twin turbines?

I plan on making mine EDF with the new 144 fans and graphene packs, I expect my AUW to be around 50 - 55 lbs with twin 16ah packs

Thx in advance
EDFJim had one he converted to electric and it flew very well, the only mods the old version needs is the crossbeam brace and possible splitting the flaps to help with tip stall.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:24 AM
erh7771

Originally Posted by FenderBean
EDFJim had one he converted to electric and it flew very well, the only mods the old version needs is the crossbeam brace and possible splitting the flaps to help with tip stall.
Thx !!

Do you think a gyro could help with the stall?

I was planning on gyro cause it it doesn't matter what size the F14 is the plane gets squirly in turns with wings swept back.

thx in advance
Old 10-01-2016, 07:28 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

the stall is only a factor if you get too slow on landing, but I a gyro could help I guess.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 PM
tisdall_80

I know people who've been flying the pre honey comb for years... 1 - 200 touch downs

thx in advance
There are several Fly Eagle jets over here that I've seen flying over the years. I'm yet to see or hear of one crash due to Structural Failure.. Not saying it hasn't happened elsewhere..
Old 10-02-2016, 11:58 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If there's no honeycomb there's a greater chance of success with the model no?
No.
The plywood version is horribly heavy. And still needs reinforcements.
The plane flies like a brick. It is very difficult in cross wing. Does not like slow speeds. Tends to tip stall.
One of the problems is that FEJ did not follow my advice ( as always ) and did not incorporate any downwash on the wing.
Also the landing gear/ retract system is a piece of junk.
If you have a full workshop with CNC machines handy, then go ahead and re-design 80% of the gear to get it to reliably carry the 75 lbs of the airframe.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:00 AM
olnico

Thx !!

Do you think a gyro could help with the stall?

I was planning on gyro cause it it doesn't matter what size the F14 is the plane gets squirly in turns with wings swept back.

thx in advance
NO!!!!!
Gyros compensate wing tip stalls with ailerons. This will get you into an unrecoverable flat spin...........
Old 10-03-2016, 12:07 AM
olnico

thx in advance
I've got a 7 year old plywood F-18F from them with well over 300 flights.
But I had to put 600 hours of work on the airframe and gear to get the plane to this level of reliability.
And also, this is 72 lbs wet. Flies well, but with a B-300F.

https://vimeo.com/album/1465015/video/27378882
Old 10-09-2016, 02:20 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The weight is a serious problem with this model, and since for me the days of having access to airfields seems to be ending, a 75lbs model off grass, does not appeal.
It is false to say that only the cross bracing on the fuselage need stengthening. There are a plethora of technical challanges due to the fact that FEJ are fully qualified to product paper lanterns! I had a discussion (via James) with one of there ngineers (ROFL), who stuggled to grasp the concept of a lever. Hence the wing bearings are thrust races. This results in a variance of tip postion of close to 2" with the wings fully swept! The English Electric Lighting had exactly the same sweepback as the F14 at full sweep. This plane had the ailerons on the wingtips and they were very effective. it seems to me that this amount of vairiance at the tips would be similarly effect at producing roll; but alas with any control of it.
As has been mentioned they are not great on the metalurgy front either. Stale cheese would be at least as good as the metal they have used.
As for tip stall, I have gone for slats and split the flaps. My MO was to have 85 degrees inner flap travel and 15 degrees on the tips. Since the model is heavily loaded I want the wing to lift as much as possible right up to touch down. And its true, if they has addded a few degrees of washout, the tip stall would not have occured.
I was talking to a UK jet Modeller who is building one for a customer. He is ready to give up after two years of trying to make this right. I am in the same place. I plan to sell mine and move on to some projects that will land at a sensible speed, e.g. my Tomahawk Hunter will be as big as the F14, but will have a take off weight of circa 45 lbs and far more wing area.
John
Old 10-09-2016, 09:10 PM
olnico

Spot on, John.
Back a few years ago, a local modeller offered me 10 k USD to build this one ( plywood version ).
I refused the offer as my estimate to get this plane right was about 300 building hours, excluding aluminum parts manufacturing.
Another local modeler took it on and the model never made it out of the workshop. It is now a hangar queen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.