Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

3D printed Bobcat control board

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

3D printed Bobcat control board

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:26 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 3D printed Bobcat control board

I have two 3D printers now, an SLA and filament. I bought these to make surgical guides to do implant surgeries, but knew I could make cool airplane stuff as well. I stripped my bobcat and am getting it repainted. This gave me an opportunity to customize the equipment layout.

Having all the fill valves on a flat surface down into a fuse can be a pain. With them up into the canopy, and angled, I think it will be easier to get to them. The housing weighs less than the way I would do it with plywood.

It would be nice to have a repository like RCSB has to share .STL files... I know this type of building is going to become more prevalent in our hobby.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0215.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	2185471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0216.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	2185472  
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Work! Looks great!
I could create a repository on my website for sharing of files like these if there is interest?
Todd
Old 10-12-2016, 08:12 AM
DrScoles

Your site would be the perfect venue Todd... Thomas probably has so many cool things designed he's forgot about them... I know that a lot of people who do this need to make money on it... I will never be that person. I'm sure there are a bunch of people who wouldn't care if others used their files. Learning CAD is the huge hurdle for me here, I have all kinds of things I want to make, just learning how to design is laborious.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:35 AM
lov2flyrc

I'll see what I can put together for a repository when I find a moment.
Most CAD programs can have a HUGE learning curve,and even knowing the functions, design can still be quite laborious indeed. I have been using Sketchup these days for most of my 3D printer work; I have found I can create designs much faster in sketchup than most other CAD software! Easy, logical, intuitive controls dramatically reduce the learning curve and the enormous library of free plug-in tools further simplifies the design process. Sketchup Make is a free download for personal use but limits the export formats. You will have to pay for Sketchup Pro, far less expensive than most CAD systems, which will allow export in most CAD formats, including STL. For 3D printing, I work with Sketchup, NetFabb, and Simplify 3D.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not put the models on thingiverse? Then we can put a thread on here of what new models have been added. I know I download all models that I am interested in printing.

Patrick
Old 10-12-2016, 09:27 AM
DrScoles

I love thingiverse, but I think it would be nice to have one place with a few hundred files that are all relevant.

I'm using 123D and learning fusion360. I need to check out sketch up again
Old 10-12-2016, 10:59 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lov2flyrc
I'll see what I can put together for a repository when I find a moment.
Most CAD programs can have a HUGE learning curve,and even knowing the functions, design can still be quite laborious indeed. I have been using Sketchup these days for most of my 3D printer work; I have found I can create designs much faster in sketchup than most other CAD software! Easy, logical, intuitive controls dramatically reduce the learning curve and the enormous library of free plug-in tools further simplifies the design process. Sketchup Make is a free download for personal use but limits the export formats. You will have to pay for Sketchup Pro, far less expensive than most CAD systems, which will allow export in most CAD formats, including STL. For 3D printing, I work with Sketchup, NetFabb, and Simplify 3D.
Todd, unless you need to do very complex surfaces......there is very little you cannot do in Sketchup. I make full airport sceneries for FAA certified flight sims with Sketchup. So far so good.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14542596_10154025010927517_5763907021708522204_o.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	2185517  
Old 10-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

There is also www.grabcad.com

Regards,
Old 10-12-2016, 02:23 PM
lov2flyrc

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Todd, unless you need to do very complex surfaces......there is very little you cannot do in Sketchup. I make full airport sceneries for FAA certified flight sims with Sketchup. So far so good.

Agreed, my go-to CAD program for most of my design work.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:30 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sketchup is free to download and easy to learn, as far as a couple of months ago there was a free extension file that allowed to export .STL files.. using them with CURA or any other free slicer program anyone can generate the file required for the 3d printer to work.

There are also many sites that hosts files and pics from projects for free like thingiverse. This is another cool hobby by itself!
Old 10-13-2016, 12:26 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer Fusion 360 to Sketchup and it's also free for personal / educational use or for small businesses making < $100K per year.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:17 AM
DrScoles

I bought a one year deal on fusion 360, but then it goes to $360 a year. Do I need to buy sketch pro to export .stl? I'd rather do that if it was a one time thing. Is sketchup more for doing scenery and house plans?? I am using 123D, (fusion 360's little bro) and its great except the measuring stuff is a chore. I need to decide which one I'm going to invest time in learning...

I knew this thread would pull all you CAD experts out of the woodwork! RCU needs to get back to stuff like this instead of showing off our ARF's!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:22 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I bought a one year deal on fusion 360, but then it goes to $360 a year. Do I need to buy sketch pro to export .stl? I'd rather do that if it was a one time thing. Is sketchup more for doing scenery and house plans?? I am using 123D, (fusion 360's little bro) and its great except the measuring stuff is a chore. I need to decide which one I'm going to invest time in learning...

I knew this thread would pull all you CAD experts out of the woodwork! RCU needs to get back to stuff like this instead of showing off our ARF's!
I keep getting 1 year offers for Fusion 360 but when I registered it I simply registered it for personal use and it's free until they decide to rescind the free license, not just 1 year. I may need to re-register it after a year but I expect it to still be free unless I suddenly start actually making money with it.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:06 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone besides me use OpenSCAD?

...jim
Old 10-16-2016, 05:12 PM
DrScoles

I watched the first three sketchup tutorials today, it has some big advantages over 123D.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 AM
lov2flyrc

Sketchup requires the "Pro" version to export files in most common CAD type formats, including STL (just add the extension from the warehouse https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/sketchup-stl )The price has increased a bit since I purchased my Pro license but well worth the price imo. License never expires and maintenance renewal is 120.00/yr thereafter if you wish to keep active on upgrades. I have shown friends, who never used a CAD program in their life, how to draw fairly complex components in less than a half hour.... They have been amazed how simple it can be!
For you 3D printer guys, I found another great resource; With all the different 3D printing filaments out there, trying full rolls of various types and brands gets rather expensive. There is a company called Makerbox which offers an inexpensive subscription service delivering several high quality filament samples (ABS/PLA or both depending on your selection) to your doorstep each month. They also include discount coupons/codes should you wish to purchase a roll from the supplier having been pleased with the sample provided. These coupons have saved me more than the subscription cost most of the time! Great money saver and has allowed me to trial various filaments I probably never would have considered. They also include some quite useful "Gifts" in the box on a regular basis.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:47 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lov2flyrc
Nice Work! Looks great!
I could create a repository on my website for sharing of files like these if there is interest?
Todd
Fantastic Idea Todd!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:50 AM
AndyAndrews

I've been looking at this machine for several months:

http://formlabs.com/3d-printers/form-2/
Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 AM
DrScoles

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
I've been looking at this machine for several months:

http://formlabs.com/3d-printers/form-2/
I have it Andy. It would be the best choice for doing stuff like cockpits and highly detailed stuff. It is not ideal for bigger things that you don't care about a perfect finish. I bought it to make surgical guides for implant surgeries and needed the high detail. The resin is expensive and no where near as strong as ABS, maybe even PLA. I bought their "tough" resin but haven't tried it yet. The big negative with the Form 2 IMO, is .... clean up. Its a sticky pain in the ass to clean the uncured resin off the parts. It also only has a 8" bed. The maker gear M2 has an 11x10 bed. I think I will be using the maker gear more for airplane stuff than the form 2.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:08 AM
AndyAndrews

I have it Andy. It would be the best choice for doing stuff like cockpits and highly detailed stuff. It is not ideal for bigger things that you don't care about a perfect finish. I bought it to make surgical guides for implant surgeries and needed the high detail. The resin is expensive and no where near as strong as ABS, maybe even PLA. I bought their "tough" resin but haven't tried it yet. The big negative with the Form 2 IMO, is .... clean up. Its a sticky pain in the ass to clean the uncured resin off the parts. It also only has a 8" bed. The maker gear M2 has an 11x10 bed. I think I will be using the maker gear more for airplane stuff than the form 2.
That is good info. Thanks for sharing. I'm still shopping but I will most definitely be buying a 3d printer this year or early next year.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:49 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Boy you said it! What kind of SLA machine do you have? Hobby grade (Form 1, DLP) or something bigger?
Old 10-17-2016, 02:05 PM
DrScoles

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Boy you said it! What kind of SLA machine do you have? Hobby grade (Form 1, DLP) or something bigger?
I have the Form 2. Zero tinkering or set up necessary which is nice. As I alluded to above, the clean up is a pain!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:27 PM
AndyAndrews

I thought the Form 2 was supposed to be easier to clean. Do they have separate tanks? Or does the tank have to be cleaned?Also, Have you seen their flexible material? IE tires>?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 PM
DrScoles

Not the machine Andy, its the actual parts that are a pain to get all the uncured resin off. This stuff is sticky... think uncured epoxy all over the place.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:38 PM
SECRET AGENT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an observation, I've had numerous "rubber" parts 3D printed, and although they look and feel like rubber, they are terribly fragile and tear very easily. I can't imagine a 3D printed tire holding up to even taxiing. Just my .02.