Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Firebird JET Trainer: Another Dr Honda budget build.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Firebird JET Trainer: Another Dr Honda budget build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
Kingtech engines even with the Xicoy ECU require 3S LiFe. My older K45 uses 3S LiFe.
OK... thanks for that. I'll edit my comment above. This is my first Kero start Kingtech. I guess to really keep weight in check... Propane start is better.

OR...........

I guess if I really want to save the weight, and I'm not going to use the re-start feature... a small battery can be on-board, and a big battery (as ground support) hooked up just for starting.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:47 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
OK... thanks for that. I'll edit my comment above. This is my first Kero start Kingtech. I guess to really keep weight in check... Propane start is better.

OR...........

I guess if I really want to save the weight, and I'm not going to use the re-start feature... a small battery can be on-board, and a big battery (as ground support) hooked up just for starting.

That is an option I have thought about but the selection of small 3S Life batteries to keep on board are limited.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Dr Honda

I got a chance to run the new K45 today. I'm glad to say... it fired up without any issues. I primed the pump, and got fuel close to the engine... sent it a start command... a few pop's... and it lit off. It doesn't start as quick as my Wren44... but that's because it's a Kero start.

I will say this... it felt like it was well over 10lbs of thrust. So, I'm very happy with that. The weather is going to turn ugly again... but I will try to get a scale on it for the next run. Overall... it seems like a nice little engine.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:54 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's maybe the burner that needs 3S. My Graupner Boosters need a 3S Lipo, unlike the Wrens and Jets-Munt engines.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:28 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
Kingtech engines even with the Xicoy ECU require 3S LiFe. My older K45 uses 3S LiFe.
The older kingtechs with Xicoy were made for 7.2v LI-Ion packs.. you can get away with running them on 3s Li-Fe at 9 volts and it was recommended.. but if fully charged it will give you an overvoltage alert and you will have to cycle the starter a time or two to take the peak voltage off of it. I run mine on 3s life.. I think my KT 60 only uses about 250mah per flight so you could get away with a smaller pack and charge it more often.. Maybe a 1500mah or so and charge it every 3 flights.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:56 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Anything new on the budget build??
Old 02-11-2017, 06:10 AM
Dr Honda

Originally Posted by RAMFlyer
Anything new on the budget build??
It's done and ready to fly. (rigged with my New Jeti radio and K45) But... I'm looking at 6" of snow in my yard. Then, even when it warms up, and the snow melts... the ground will be muddy. So, unfortunately, it won't fly for a few more months.

I grew up in SoCal... and this winter crap is getting old. (lol)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:11 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

While we're waiting on spring do you have any pictures of the assembly, mounting, electronics bay, etc? Looking for an airframe for my old RAM 500 and this one is interesting...
Old 04-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Dr Honda

I know some of you were waiting a while for this... but the weather finally improved... and I finally had a day free... so the madden flight was done on the Firebird JET !!

First... as some of you know, it was designed for a 60 sized turbine... but after I got it... I really thought it only needed a 44/45 sized turbine because of the way it was built. (light, open structure) I am happy to say that a K45 or Wren 44 is plenty of power. I got out of grass in less than 200', and I was taking it easy on the throttle until I could make sure it was going straight. So... full power quickly will get it out faster. No... it doesn't have unlimited vertical with the small engine... but a big engine may rip this little guy apart. Also, with the lower wing loading (less fuel, and overall weight) I was able to land it like a regular sport (prop) plane. I didn't use flaps and I only needed a 3rd of our grass strip to land, and stop.

With all the surfaces level... and being balanced on the wing tube... it only needed 4 or 5 clicks of up trim. But, I think the balance point is a little conservative. I added a couple oz to the nose while at the field... and I think I will remove half of it on the next flight. (so I won't need the trim)

I bobbled a little after take-off, as I was trying to use Jeti's auto trim system. But I think I was bouncing the sticks too much. (seen in the vid)

After it was trimmed out... it was a nice, predictable model. I didn't explore the full flight envelope... but it slows down nice, without any strange stall tendency's, and with the K45 in level flight, it will keep anyone "Jet Training" grinning. (flying around 120 mph-ish)

Overall... I'm happy, and I can see this becoming a local field favorite, since it's easy to transport, and will be easy to fix if I rip out the landing gear on tall grass. I hope someone continues to import it into the USA. This will make a great, inexpensive trainer for the guys wanting to get into the hobby.

FYI... the vid is short, and shot with a phone... but I'm glad one of my buddies was able to get the take-off. (Thanks eek-Flier, and Aluminman for the moral support)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3088.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	2231756

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3088_zpsm1hjjk9z.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	2211504  

Last edited by Dr Honda; 09-13-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:23 PM
alasdair

Good to see it flying.
Thanks for posting
Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thumbs up!!

Good job Tony!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 AM
erbroens

nice! congrats on the maiden flight
Old 04-25-2017, 06:49 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks good Tony, now bring it up to Titusville where you have some room...LOL
Old 09-13-2017, 03:26 AM
Dr Honda

Nothing new to report... but I tried to rebuild this thread's pics, since Photobucket killed all the links. The new host is Postimage.org.