Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX 20 Versus JR 28 or any other similar top end TX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX 20 Versus JR 28 or any other similar top end TX

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 03:32 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX 20 Versus JR 28 or any other similar top end TX

Anybody out there using the DX 20 ? How do you like ? Plusses, negatives ?
Old 11-17-2016, 05:47 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turnnburn
Anybody out there using the DX 20 ? How do you like ? Plusses, negatives ?
The DX20s still aren't out yet for reasons unknown.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:30 AM
patrnflyr

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been wanting a DX20 since they announced it at Toledo. Purely internet guessing but I was told they were having issues with the leather grips on the outside of the case. This hasn't been substantiated officially but date for release has been pushed back again to "late December". As far as the JR radios, there was a post a few weeks back where they are reorganizing the factory, closing the one in Japan and moving to Malaysia. Also, they were going to concentrate on commercial aspects of the industry. I'll look and see if I can find that note and will post it here.

Found it: http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/new...ts.php?no=3537

Last edited by patrnflyr; 11-18-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:07 AM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian,

To clarify, I think your comparing apples to oranges.. The JR28 is DMSS whereas the DX20 is still DSMX... You would have to trash all your recievers that you have now to go to the JR28.. That being said, If and when the DX20 does come out, I really don't see the advantage over the DX18.. A few more options, but a lot more money. And speaking of money... Dive into the JR28... I have also heard that the JR28 is not what it is cracked up to be... I know a few guys that bought them and did not like it... If you want to go super high end like the JR28 and got 3K to spend, I would recommend a look at the Futaba 18MZ.. I am and always have been a JR/Spektrum guy, but I have spent a little time inside the 18MZ and it is a hell of a rig... Again, you have th trash all your recievers you have now to go there.. My recomendation is the DX18.... Best bang for the buck, works with everything you got. If you need a bunch of channels and extra bells and whistles, look at the Powerbox Mercury.. Lot's to offer there.... Hope to see you this weekend in Waco !!

Cheers,
Dan
Old 11-18-2016, 07:56 AM
patrnflyr

Dan, agree 100%. The MZ is the quintessential radio right now but a DX18 Gen 2 will do almost everything you need.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
Dan, agree 100%. The MZ is the quintessential radio right now but a DX18 Gen 2 will do almost everything you need.
For me, the DX18 was just too big for my hands. The new DX20 appears to be a smaller radio. I went to a DX18 when JR didn't come out with a replacement for my 12X. It never felt good in my hands and it was hard for me to hit the switches without inadvertently moving one of the sticks. So I went back to Futaba and the 18MZ. Nice radio and while it's a bit big, the way things are laid out, I can hit the switches cleanly and the gimbals are adjustable L/R so mine are tilted toward the outside of the case.

Enter the Futaba 18SZ and that is a great radio. It does about 95 percent of what an MZ will do and is in the same case as a 14SG but it has the MZ gimbals and it's about the same price as a new DX18 if you are considering changing brands. I left all my gassers and one turbine on my 12X, the Pattern planes and the other turbines are on the Futaba.

Just a thought for 'ya.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:03 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I trashed a brand new DX18 Stealth. Screen didnt work right out of box....sent it in....got it back and gear switch fell out....fixed it.....got a service bulletin requiring a range check. Tossed it out. Got a JR XG14. Full 14 channels and a peace of mind that my radio wouldnt go kerput while flying. It has the same gimbals as the 12X and is a good radio. Trashing all my Spektrum stuff was much cheaper that crashing 1 jet. When Spektrum broke from JR I feel the quality went down. I saw too many threads where guys loved their DX 18 up to the point when it just quit. The QC issues I had made me too uncomfortable flying with it. I now have a $900 foamy radio.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:57 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my three year old 14 MZ was going to be my last radio I would ever need to buy at my age(75).
After my wonderful JR 10 the MZ was a nightmare to program.
Then memory problems started killing programs. Trims were changed without me.
Sent back to service three times with little results in fixing.

Frustrated I trashed a very expensive radio that I thought was going to carry me through to the end.
I bought a DX 18 and love it. Flown all summer and perfect. Easy to program.

Most of the local club members fly Spektrum with no problems.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:31 PM
qcsteve

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm moving from DX9 to Jeti DS-24. I still have my JR9350 and will keep it till it dies. Jeti is just something completely different which what I'm in to.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:39 PM
US1A kai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've to changed to JR12X to Jeti DS16.
The reason was very simply....
First of all JR unfortunatly almost finish life of RC maker and Futaba can't evolution of Basic technology like a Jeti DualPass.
In Japan, a lot of hight end RC freacs are movng from JR & Futaba's to Jeti's...LoL.

Last edited by US1A kai; 11-18-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:42 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
The DX20s still aren't out yet for reasons unknown.
Perhaps they are putting RF sections in them that work BEFORE launch.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:40 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Jeti all the way!
Old 11-22-2016, 05:48 AM
patrnflyr

Another militant Jeti user speaks! They have to be great radios from what I've read albeit intimidating when you look at the array of equipment available through Esprit. I'd even consider Jeti if I wasn't so turned off by the rep that would jump into almost every thread and tell us how stupid we are for not using a Jeti.

I would just like something that was announced and shown in Toledo would be on the market by now. It would be even nicer if they'd (HH) come on here and tell us the issue instead of continued postponements

Last edited by patrnflyr; 11-22-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:49 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

"Militant Jeti user" now that's funny! You are denying yourself of a fantastic radio system.
The quality, capability and flexibility of the Jeti radio system is second to none.
Have an open minded look before you rule it out.

I have been flying Jeti for the past two years.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:52 AM
patrnflyr

Understand completely. I just get really turned off by pushy reps. The DS-24 looks impressive when it comes out. I have dozens of Spektrum receivers and have never had an issue. I really like their programming and own a QQ but want voice prompts. When I was talking about espritmodels, I didn't mean it to sound bad. The problem is, some of their pics show all kinds of boxes all daisy chained together looking like it would fill up the entire fuselage and overwhelm you with too much info. To them, it's showing all their equipment capabilities but to someone that isn't a programming guru or needs all that stuff, it can be very intimidating.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Bob_B

Jeti has numerous devices for telemetry feedback, Jeti Telemetry can be active telemetry or just give you read outs.
DS14 and DS16 is far more capable than a DX18. Telemetry is built into all Jeti rx's and do not require a device like a TM 1000 to transmit the data like some of the Spektrum rx's (this may have changed recently).
Jeti has more devices than any other manufacturer and yes some of the videos can be overwhelming, having a radio in hand helps alot.
Program is not difficult just different than Spectrum which has some things pre-configured.
If you are looking for a system that is future proof you will not find a better system than Jeti!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM
DHC6

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
Another militant Jeti user speaks! They have to be great radios from what I've read albeit intimidating when you look at the array of equipment available through Esprit. I'd even consider Jeti if I wasn't so turned off by the rep that would jump into almost every thread and tell us how stupid we are for not using a Jeti.

I would just like something that was announced and shown in Toledo would be on the market by now. It would be even nicer if they'd (HH) come on here and tell us the issue instead of continued postponements

Militant..... You need to relax and watch what you say. All I did was suggest Jeti. Yes, I agree the that the Jeti rep is not a good customer oriented rep, that being said it's a very good product.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:38 PM
DHC6

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Jeti has numerous devices for telemetry feedback, Jeti Telemetry can be active telemetry or just give you read outs.
DS14 and DS16 is far more capable than a DX18. Telemetry is built into all Jeti rx's and do not require a device like a TM 1000 to transmit the data like some of the Spektrum rx's (this may have changed recently).
Jeti has more devices than any other manufacturer and yes some of the videos can be overwhelming, having a radio in hand helps alot.
Program is not difficult just different than Spectrum which has some things pre-configured.
If you are looking for a system that is future proof you will not find a better system than Jeti!
Now lets get back to the topic at hand and stop bashing people.
Bob don't forget that the telemetry can trigger events, and warn you of poetential problems. At first I was also a little intimidated by all the products and the completly free and open programming. But now I LOVE all teh options available and that the programming is pretty easy and fool proof. No other system offers the flexibility and options as the Jeti.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:52 PM
patrnflyr

Originally Posted by DHC6
Militant..... You need to relax and watch what you say. All I did was suggest Jeti. Yes, I agree the that the Jeti rep is not a good customer oriented rep, that being said it's a very good product.
Agree 100%. Sorry. Militant was used in a way which means you guys REALLY REALLY like your equipment. That's all.

I think I'll just wait it out for the DX20. By flying season, we'll have version 2 and I'll feel comfortable with it by then. Anyways, I have a great QQ to use for now.

Last edited by patrnflyr; 11-22-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Don Perry
My Feedback: (51)

I switched last year from a Futaba 18MZ and haven't looked back. The telemetry is easy to use and just works!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	2191026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	2191027  

Last edited by Don Perry; 11-22-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:04 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

I moved to a Jeti from my trusty old 12X 2 years ago and have never looked back I bit the bullet and bought a heap of stuff and switched every thing over in one hit and sold all my JR that eased the pain a little. The programing is different but there are U/tube videos that cover just about everything and another thing the down loads and updates are awesome and as someone else said you can customise your radio to what ever suites you.
Cheers
Mav
Old 11-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Bob_B

DHC6 is absolute correct about the telemetry event triggering an action. Patrnflyer im sure you'll make a purchase that suits your needs best.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

With selling all my dms2/x gear, the switch to my xg14 cost me $200 in total!

Love the radio! And have been a loyal JR user for many years

But i do sometime wonder if I would have better off going with jeti. I now use a stand alone jetibox for my telemetry and the JR radio for flying. Best of both worlds...

thanks

dave
Old 11-23-2016, 12:48 AM
Bob_B

Before the switch Jeti. I used a stand alone telemetry system that worked well. Made me realize how much better an integrated setup like Jeti that can perform an action in reponse to an event would be.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:48 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I am happy with my DX18 It makes it so easy helping people getting into turbines doing buddy box flights. Not many have Jeti. The Jeti system does look like a fantastic radio with great options. But I did a maiden for someone with one and it had the airspeed telemetry saying the airspeed the entire flight and it drove me freaking crazy! People need to not make this more complicated then it needs to be. I think some people have to much crap in their planes that can be information overload and people forget the important part..... Flying the plane!

I help so many others I need a radio that common so I will be staying with the DX18 for a while. Its all about what works for you and your personal preference. So many people want to just say the brand they fly is the best to justify their decision. Do your research and pick a brand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.