Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX 20 Versus JR 28 or any other similar top end TX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX 20 Versus JR 28 or any other similar top end TX

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:43 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
But I did a maiden for someone with one and it had the airspeed telemetry saying the airspeed the entire flight and it drove me freaking crazy!
The volume can be assigned to any switch or knob on the radio. I turn the volume down after I hear "bingo fuel" it will get annoying after that!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:58 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am happy with my DX18 It makes it so easy helping people getting into turbines doing buddy box flights. Not many have Jeti. The Jeti system does look like a fantastic radio with great options. But I did a maiden for someone with one and it had the airspeed telemetry saying the airspeed the entire flight and it drove me freaking crazy! People need to not make this more complicated then it needs to be. I think some people have to much crap in their planes that can be information overload and people forget the important part..... Flying the plane!

I help so many others I need a radio that common so I will be staying with the DX18 for a while. Its all about what works for you and your personal preference. So many people want to just say the brand they fly is the best to justify their decision. Do your research and pick a brand.
Actually, I often use a Spektrum DX6 as a wireless buddy box with my Jeti DS16 when I want to let guys try one of my Jets. Jeti offers a firmware for one of their receivers that allows you to connect the receiver to any brand transmitters trainer jack and use and it as wireless buddy box. It's come in handy a number of times since I don't have 2 Jeti transmitters. Also, when the Jeti is the teacher transmitter, the student transmitter needs only a default program that operates the sticks and any desired switches for flaps, etc. With my DS16 controlling 12 channels, I can let the student control all flight surfaces, flaps, gear and brakes with just a 6 channel student transmitter of virtually any brand but Spektrum is by far the most common where I fly.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:16 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow Wayne I had no clue. That's great! So if you go jeti its compatible with a standard buddy cord and a spektrum transmitter?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:47 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Made the switch to jeti after having a flameout at KY jets. By time I knew I had a flameout it was too late to make a good approach. With the jeti I can set up voice alerts to know exactly when I have a flameout so that's what sold me. Coming from a JR 12X , it is quite easy to program and the feel of the radio in your hands is excellent. No ridges or anything that gets in the way. Very well designed IMO. With all that said, I still love the trusty 12X!
Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 AM
wfield0455

Wow Wayne I had no clue. That's great! So if you go jeti its compatible with a standard buddy cord and a spektrum transmitter?
Almost. It's not a pre-configured thing but it easy to do. I used a Jeti R3 receiver running special firmware to connect to the trainer Jack of a DX6. The R3, since all Jeti receivers are actually tranceivers due to the built in telemetry then communicates with the Jeti transmitters wireless student/teacher interface. Jeti developed this firmware for the R3 to allow guys to use other vendors transmitters as wireless buddy boxes since they didn't have a low end transmitter at the time that would be suitable as a buddy box and the US version of the DS16 doesn't have a wired trainer interface brought to the outside of the case for some reason. While I did need to make a 6" cable to allow the R3 to be connected to my DX6's trainer jack it only took about 15 minutes to make the cable, load the firmware into the R3 and get everything setup to allow my DX6 to talk to my DS16 and control everything on my Boomerang Xl which I typically use when I want to allow someone to give flying jets a try. Not something you could do spur of the moment at the flying field but it's easy enough to get working.

By the way, I flew a DX18 before switching to Jeti and I really liked the Master Overide feature (I think that's what it was called) that allowed the teacher to simply move a stick, etc to regain control of the airplane if the student got into trouble. Much nicer than holding a momentary switch pressed for the entire flight. I liked it so much I figured out how to duplicate it on the DS16 which didn't have it as a stock. While I really enjoy my Jeti and I'm extremely happy with it, I realize that not everyone wants the same thing or has the same needs and which system best suits someone is largely personal preference. I'm just glad there are so many nice systems available these days to meet pretty much everyone needs. We've come a long way since my old Citizenship / galloping ghost rig back in the 60s...

Last edited by wfield0455; 11-23-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Wayne you are over the top! Great to have someone as nice as you with your radio savy!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Turkeys.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:08 PM
patrnflyr

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gobble! gobble!
Old 11-23-2016, 02:22 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Wayne we had one of the guys at my field put ne in because the instructor he had didn't know about the master override condition and hit the controls took it over and didn't know then crunch. So its not for everyone. People need to make sure they let the instructor know how they take it over before flight. The instructor is old school and didn't even know you could do that.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:31 PM
wfield0455

Wayne we had one of the guys at my field put ne in because the instructor he had didn't know about the master override condition and hit the controls took it over and didn't know then crunch. So its not for everyone. People need to make sure they let the instructor know how they take it over before flight. The instructor is old school and didn't even know you could do that.

Oh yeah, that is a feature that should definitely be the instructors choice.. If you didn't know that all you needed to do is move your sticks to regain control you could definitely get into trouble. Fortunately it's easy to turn on/off but as with most things in life, communication is the key to success.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:51 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've had a 28X for about a year and a half now and i can say that the construction is second to none. From the billet Aluminum gimbles to the aluminum chassis. when i first got mine there was a lot of frustration aimed at JR for not having proper tech support for such a complex radio , that being said i think you'll find that most guys that say they don't like them is because one , they don't understand the android programming or 2 they just don't bother trying to learn it and give up and blame the radio. If you remember when the first computer radio came on the scene there was a flood of both excitement and fear or the unknown. I hear over and over even today that computer radios are to hard to figure out . even the easy ones like the JR XG line. As far as Crashes ,brown outs , signal loss. i have not heard even one time any of those happening with JR's DMSS. given my limited knowledge of spektrum stuff i find the JR xbus system way easier for me to use. As far as futaba goes , i find the programming a mess to work with . JR just seems easier along with the spek stuff . As far as this thread goes , i can foresee it turning into another brand war.

Last edited by warbird_1; 11-24-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:38 AM
patrnflyr

"As far as this thread goes , i can foresee it turning into another brand war." Let's hope it doesn't get that way. I think I'm just going to wait it out for now. My QQ is rock solid and all I need is voice prompts but I've flown for 38 years without them so waiting another year doesn't seem too bad.

Seems like every radio has its own issues that you have to grow through> Futaba~>
Beautiful case and ergonomics, 18SZ seems best bang for the buck, Bus system but intimidating programming if you're used to Spektrum. Spektrum~> great programming, good track record, very popular but no High Quality top of the line unit available. Jeti~> Lots of add ons, brand loyalty like all the others, can do everything, but intimidating to a newbie with so much available. Weatronic~> Gone. Taranis, FRS, etc~> Wait and see... Please don't correct these as this is how I see them to ME. Each person will look at these differently.

I was just looking at the DX 20 because it had a little better quality feel as reported from the AMA convention, Metal gimbals, voice alerts and matched all my planes systems already.

It always seems to work out and will in this case

Last edited by patrnflyr; 11-24-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:44 AM
patrnflyr

I talked to Horizon yesterday, the first batch went out yesterday to the early buyers. Didn't have enough to even fill back orders so it'll be around first of the year for the next buyers to get a chance. He asked me why I didn't put in on backorder and I frankly told him because I wanted to use a coupon code and HH didn't allow that on backorders. I'll just let ver 1 come out and see what happens
Old 12-02-2016, 10:44 AM
cetigershark

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all

It starts even when you just look at it...

Spektrum like Tesla is, ja it is U.S. made, but ja, it is lots of plastic..
Jeti is like Mercedes or BMW. Why buy cheap plastic if you can get something more sturdy.
Not to talk about the inside.
Jeti forever. And I was using spektrum for years. I know what I talk about.

Chris
Old 12-02-2016, 11:43 AM
patrnflyr

So much for brand war...
Old 01-09-2017, 10:08 AM
RCEXTRA
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am one of the 1st order folks and got mine before Christmas. I have an old Gen 1 DX18 and was looking to update. I "fondled" a DX20 at the Nall and liked the feel. It does have some extras that I find valuable. Pro-Trim will make airplane tuning quicker. On the negative side:

- Comes with the 9020 receiver which isn't listed any more. It would have been nice to get the new 9030 w/ telemetry.
- The sticks have LOTS of adjustments! I had trouble getting the throttle stick the way I wanted it and over adjusted which dropped a part off the end of the screw! That had the new radio going back to Horizon. Turn around and service were great! Making it so the stupid things wouldn't happen is better.
- I exported programs from my DX18, but have recheck centers, switch allocations, servo balancing (2 servos per ail), etc. Stuff you would check anyway.

On the positive side:

- I like the feel - Particularly the sticks. That is what sold me anyway. That and large number of Spektrun Receivers.
- I like positive verbal feedback on switch positions.
- I tried the pro-trim on the ground and seems easy.
- I like how it looks. That is a personal choice.

I need some good weather to go flying and try it out for real! Sitting in the shop making airplane noises isn't the same.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:50 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by RCEXTRA
I am one of the 1st order folks and got mine before Christmas. I have an old Gen 1 DX18 and was looking to update. I "fondled" a DX20 at the Nall and liked the feel. It does have some extras that I find valuable. Pro-Trim will make airplane tuning quicker. On the negative side:

- Comes with the 9020 receiver which isn't listed any more. It would have been nice to get the new 9030 w/ telemetry.
- The sticks have LOTS of adjustments! I had trouble getting the throttle stick the way I wanted it and over adjusted which dropped a part off the end of the screw! That had the new radio going back to Horizon. Turn around and service were great! Making it so the stupid things wouldn't happen is better.
- I exported programs from my DX18, but have recheck centers, switch allocations, servo balancing (2 servos per ail), etc. Stuff you would check anyway.

On the positive side:

- I like the feel - Particularly the sticks. That is what sold me anyway. That and large number of Spektrun Receivers.
- I like positive verbal feedback on switch positions.
- I tried the pro-trim on the ground and seems easy.
- I like how it looks. That is a personal choice.

I need some good weather to go flying and try it out for real! Sitting in the shop making airplane noises isn't the same.

I personally think you should have the exported model part under the positive column instead of the negatives. I agree it's smart to double check everything after transferring a model memory to a different transmitter but the fact that Spektrum allows you to transferr model memories from one Airware transmitter to another is a VERY positive feature in my book.
Pretty sure JR and Futaba don't allow you to directly move anything from one transmitter model to another at all and you have to manually duplicate everything which if you have multiple models can turn into a real chore..
Old 01-14-2017, 02:47 PM
patrnflyr

Just saw that the delivery was moved back to mid February. Of course, my 10% off coupon expires the end of January. Someday...
Old 01-14-2017, 04:35 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I have but one complaint about my 10 year old 12x.

And its the same one I had when I bought it: I want more channels.

And I still trust it and love it like no other. The fact that I can't get any more JR 1221 rx's is why I will move to a Jeti DS-24.

Notice Jeti has a HHHUUUUGGGGEEEE problem. They CAN NOT be trusted to be on time for any new arrival of products.

I know this and I'm still going to get one when they finally come out.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:35 PM
patrnflyr

What I really loved about my 12X besides its uber reliability, was it chassis. The magnesium case just felt right, it's weight was substantial but not too much. It felt "expensive without being costly. The buttons were in all the right places. I know there's hundreds of theories about the breakup of Spektrum and JR, but I wish they'd just kiss and make up. We'd have great equipment that rivaled the best with a good distribution center and great repair service.

Last edited by patrnflyr; 01-15-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:39 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok
Brian,

To clarify, I think your comparing apples to oranges.. The JR28 is DMSS whereas the DX20 is still DSMX... You would have to trash all your recievers that you have now to go to the JR28.. That being said, If and when the DX20 does come out, I really don't see the advantage over the DX18.. A few more options, but a lot more money. And speaking of money... Dive into the JR28... I have also heard that the JR28 is not what it is cracked up to be... I know a few guys that bought them and did not like it... If you want to go super high end like the JR28 and got 3K to spend, I would recommend a look at the Futaba 18MZ.. I am and always have been a JR/Spektrum guy, but I have spent a little time inside the 18MZ and it is a hell of a rig... Again, you have th trash all your recievers you have now to go there.. My recomendation is the DX18.... Best bang for the buck, works with everything you got. If you need a bunch of channels and extra bells and whistles, look at the Powerbox Mercury.. Lot's to offer there.... Hope to see you this weekend in Waco !!

Cheers,
Dan
people that don't like the 28x don't understand it. it is way easier to program than futaba and you can't even compare the construction against the 28x . the 28 technology is way above anything out there . i have looked at all of them except the dx20 . The dmsx system is getting outdated and has vulnerabilities unlike Dmss . i'm not bashing DMSX as i ran it for years without any problems except one using a dx5 . i have to admit that i struggled with the Android software at first and there's no love lost between JR Americas and myself but i can't fault the hardware for that . i'm happy with the 28 and despite the friction with JR ,i'd still buy one . i have scoured the net just looking for people that have and any kind of issues with DMSS and i couldn't find not one and i still haven't heard of any. i started out with futaba and ran them for many years with mixed results. it wasn't till after i lost my prized f-18 pusher prop years ago that i switched to JR . As far as spektrum... for many it's a love hate relationship. i have seen and heard of many issues and have seen many crashes with people using spektrum. i won't sit here and say it was all spektrum's fault but i will say some of it was. you can't control the product once it gets into the hands of the end user. because of what i have seen heard and experienced myself, i have grown to have a trust issue with spektrum. i hope they continue to improve their product and the dx 20 looks like a nice radio but still can't compare to the 28's construction . i will say in all fairness that i think spektrum's voice promp's is the best out there. so that's my 2 cents
Old 02-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Jeti USA

The only question remain, who will improve/update or develop something if JR is out?

Originally Posted by warbird_1
people that don't like the 28x don't understand it. it is way easier to program than futaba and you can't even compare the construction against the 28x . the 28 technology is way above anything out there . i have looked at all of them except the dx20 . The dmsx system is getting outdated and has vulnerabilities unlike Dmss . i'm not bashing DMSX as i ran it for years without any problems except one using a dx5 . i have to admit that i struggled with the Android software at first and there's no love lost between JR Americas and myself but i can't fault the hardware for that . i'm happy with the 28 and despite the friction with JR ,i'd still buy one . i have scoured the net just looking for people that have and any kind of issues with DMSS and i couldn't find not one and i still haven't heard of any. i started out with futaba and ran them for many years with mixed results. it wasn't till after i lost my prized f-18 pusher prop years ago that i switched to JR . As far as spektrum... for many it's a love hate relationship. i have seen and heard of many issues and have seen many crashes with people using spektrum. i won't sit here and say it was all spektrum's fault but i will say some of it was. you can't control the product once it gets into the hands of the end user. because of what i have seen heard and experienced myself, i have grown to have a trust issue with spektrum. i hope they continue to improve their product and the dx 20 looks like a nice radio but still can't compare to the 28's construction . i will say in all fairness that i think spektrum's voice promp's is the best out there. so that's my 2 cents
Old 02-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Jeti USA

Jeti Model is Introducing Brand New Line of Rex Receivers with Assist Stabilization, Full Device Explorer Integration, Wireless Programming & Data Telemetry (Video from Nuremberg 2017) !!!

http://blog.espritmodel.com/new-jeti-rx-with-assist/

Old 02-19-2017, 02:52 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
The only question remain, who will improve/update or develop something if JR is out?
good but scary question
Old 02-19-2017, 02:54 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
Jeti Model is Introducing Brand New Line of Rex Receivers with Assist Stabilization, Full Device Explorer Integration, Wireless Programming & Data Telemetry (Video from Nuremberg 2017) !!!

http://blog.espritmodel.com/new-jeti-rx-with-assist/

cool toy ..but do you really need something like that? maybe if you lose site.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
What I really loved about my 12X besides its uber reliability, was it chassis. The magnesium case just felt right, it's weight was substantial but not too much. It felt "expensive without being costly. The buttons were in all the right places. I know there's hundreds of theories about the breakup of Spektrum and JR, but I wish they'd just kiss and make up. We'd have great equipment that rivaled the best with a good distribution center and great repair service.
As a JR 12X fan, can I suggest that you check out the Futaba 18SZ and the new Spektrum DX20? They both feel pretty much like my 12X radios with some slight differences the biggest one for me, is that the switch location/placements on the SZ are not as good as the MZ or the new DX20.

Oh, they both weigh about what the 12X does.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.