Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Flexinnovations Aura 8: new Gyro 3 axys

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Flexinnovations Aura 8: new Gyro 3 axys

Old 11-18-2016, 09:39 AM
sandrocacciola

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Flexinnovations Aura 8: new Gyro 3 axys

There are more choise in the market about the 3 axis gyro... What I received today is the new Flexinnovations control system, the Aura 8 AFCS (http://www.flexinnovations.com) dedicated to fixed-wing aircraft.
Compatible with any receiver of the leading brands on the market today with PWM system, it is light and cheap (about 100 euro). Designed to improve the flying experience of the pilots, allows for smooth control without interference in the commands.
The main features are summarized in weight of only 13 grams and measuring 38.2mm x 36.5mm x 14.5mm with inputs type Futaba / JR universal. It can be powered with tension 4 to 10V and is equipped with 4 signal inputs (S1-S3 for ailerons, elevator and vertical and S4 for activating and deactivating the device to be assigned to the rx channel 5)) and 4 servo outputs (S5-S8), two for ailerons, one for direction and one for depth. It can be connected to the PC via USB port and Micro USB (programming can still be carried out even through Tx).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Il-box.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	2190373   Click image for larger version

Name:	La-scatola.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	2190374  
Old 11-18-2016, 09:40 AM
sandrocacciola

Today is difficult find many differences in the use of a standard three-axis gyro (most of the time you use a 50% of the potential that these types of devices offer and this because of factors such as inexperience, lack of skills or the absence of in-depth knowledge of the dynamics that govern its operation). The Aura 8 makes no difference and for correct use must be carefully read the manual and follow the installation procedures. the stabilization system comes without any programming and must be configured as we want. What it does a difference is a price that arises in the medium / low-end and the availability at Llindinger ...

Name:	Conternuto-kit.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	2190375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimensione.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	2190376  
Old 11-20-2016, 09:59 AM
sandrocacciola

Even for Aura 8 the rule (recommended) set the transmitter ATV for the three channels (ailerons, elevator and vertical) to 125%, while for the engine and channel 5 the 100%; subtrim and trim must be 0. Channel 5 on Rx for gyroscope control must be assigned to a 3-position switch that allows you to use the Aura 8 in three different modes: Mode 1 (turn off); mode 2 Low rates (gyro with low gain) and mode 3 in Hight rates (gyro with high gain). Remember that every action mode of the gyro can be programmed with different setup of exponentials and ATV in such a way as to obtain a flight setup most appropriate to their own style.
Despite these indications recommended by Flexinnovations you can change all setting through the programming software dedicated to Aura 8 that you can download for free on the Flexinnovations site (unfortunately only for Windows ...).
The installation on the model must be made with the double-sided tape included in the package and apply the usual rules to install Aura 8 on a solid surface; the position and orientation can be selected among several mode through the software. Aura 8 (and all gyro...) must be fixed in the central axis of the aircraft (see images).

Name:	Orientamento.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	2190724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connessioni.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	2190725  
Old 11-20-2016, 10:01 AM
sandrocacciola

The connection of the gyroscope to Rx may be performed in different ways depending on the receiver that is used. For Futaba systems it is possible to use the S-Bus input and connect the gyroscope with a single serial cable to the Rx, or with a RX JR through Xbus input. In the traditional way using 1 cable for each channel. A exception must be made to the Jeti systems. Unlike what happened until a few months ago (only traditional connection with one cable for each channel to connect the Aura 8 to Jeti Duplex Ex receiver) Flexinnovetions recently issued a procedure to follow to use the Ex Bus port to connect the gyro Jeti Aura 8 .
It 'simply connect the SAT output of the Jeti Rx (PPM link) to B input in Aura 8. For this to work, however, you will have to program a new model in the Jeti Tx with these features and setting (these is only an example) :

Wing: 0 flaps, ailerons 1, 1 horizontal and 1 vertical, 1 gyro.
In Servo Assignment set channels;
1) Throttle
2) Aileron
3) Elevator
4) Rudder
5) Flight Mode (Aura 8 Flight mode control, created with Functions Assignment and assigned to a 3 position switch)
6)
7)
8) Gyro Sens (Aura 8 Master Gain)

In FIne Tuning, Gyro settings menu;
Low Range value: 0%
Tuning: P8
Range: 100%
This will allow the Master Gain on channel 8 to be adjusted using knob P8.

In Use Device Explorer menu to select your receiver and set;
Serial Link: PPM Negative
General Settings:
Output period: 22ms
No of channels: 8
Mode: Direct
Jeti uses a wider pulse width range than most transmitters. Since the Aura 8 instructions recommend setting end points to +/-125% for JR, Spektrum and Futaba systems, setting end points to 100% on Jeti duplicates this amount of travel.
Need a little patience and please check with the functioning! however, on the site of Flexinnovetions you find a complete guide for this operation. READ IT!

Name:	Diverse-connessioni.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	2190726   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSM Remote Receiver(s) Connection.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	2190727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prese-Usb.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	2190728  
Old 11-21-2016, 11:52 AM
sandrocacciola

We continue.
In the gyro Aura 8 Flexinnovations there are two aspects to be emphasized that, depending on who uses it, could be positive or negative. The first is the large number of options and parameters that can be modified using the programming software for PC; the other own the presence of so many setups that you can modify. It's clear that if you have a little knowledge of programmation of gyros can be used a high percentage of its potential. Otherwise you will using a lower percentage of functions. For the latter, it is interesting to note that quick setup can be done with the TX and without access to the software on a PC.

Name:	Software3.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	2190881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Software2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	2190882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Software1.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	2190883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Software5.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	2190884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Software6.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	2190885  
Old 11-21-2016, 11:53 AM
sandrocacciola

The procedure is as follows:
install the gyroscope on the model and connect all the servos and control switches. Turn on the transmitter and before connecting the gyroscope to the power source remove the cable servo of the S1 and S2 inputs, and in S2 input insert the bind plug included. Then connect the power supply to the gyro.
The gyroscope has four types of lights that indicate their status: red, green, blue, orange.
The blue light will flash faster when the bindings will be made with the receiver and signal the successful operation. The blue light confirms with brief flashes the recognition of the position; now you can now remove the cable binding and reconnect the servos in the S1 and S2 inputs.
You can now verify the correct operation of the moving parts of the model. If some commands are reversed simply hold the stick corresponding in the maximum position of command for 4 seconds to reverse.
At this point the gyro enter into "verification" mode and does not remain that verify the right direction of the gyro control commands by moving the model on the three axes and verifying that the moving parts move in the opposite direction (to correct the movements). You will see that the commands of the gyroscope will be of maximum intensity and with a fast servo movement: this allows to check well if the gyro action is correct on all three axes.
If everything is ok at this point will simply remove power to the gyroscope to wait 2 or 3 seconds and then turn it ON: the gyro is activated in normal mode and you will see that the answer will be smoother.
It must be remembered that with a three-position switch and you can enable and disable the gyroscope or use two types of configurations. The gyro gain it's possible from a potentiometer which will act equally on the three axes.

Name:	Test-movimenti.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	2190886  
Old 11-23-2016, 05:53 AM
sandrocacciola

Particularly interesting is the "Quick Trim" procedure that allows you to store on the gyro the trimming of the model made during the first flight test. The procedure must be performed before using the gyroscope. Once you activated the gyroscope no longer needs to intervene on trim or subtrim. Here, briefly, the procedure to follow. The first trimming procedure must take place with subtrim to zero.

1. Fly the airplane in manual (gyro o) mode. Trim the aircraft with the transmitter
and land. Do not change fl*ight modes.
2. Power o the Aura. Insert a bind plug into Aura Port S3. Check the transmitter is
on and repower the Aura.
3. Wait 5 seconds for the Aura to completely initialize. Confi‑rm Quick Trim mode is
active by checking the Blue LED is slowly *flashing.
4. Remove the bind plug from Aura Port S3. Removing the bind plug stores the
current trims in the Aura. The Blue LED will *ash quickly after control surface trim
values are stored. While the trim values are stored in Aura, they are not applied to
the control surface until the Aura is repowered.
5. Remove power from the Aura and center all control surface trims on the
transmitter.
6. Repower the Aura. The control surfaces should be unchanged even though the
trim has been centered on the Transmitter. Switch between other Flight Modes to
ensure you do not see any changes in trim.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:19 PM
sandrocacciola

These days I have dedicated myself to the programming software of this 3-axis gyroscope, Aura 8. The "Aura config tool", (download free from the Flexinnovations) is really powerful, and if at first glance it may seem difficult to understand , trying to program the gyro it turns out that with patience you will get good results.
I would like to point one interesting aspect: with Aura 8 you can use a number of output channels as additional channels of Rx. I mean.
I state that I use the Jeti Duplex System 2.4 and that thanks to the availability of Michele Moschetta that a few months is the authorized dealer Jeti with the company MMD JetiItalia, I was able to deepen the knowledge of this remarkable system. I connected the Aura 8 to my receiver Jeti REX7 through port "B" of the gyro and the receiver output 7 with the protocol Jeti UDI interface (almost like an S-Bus Futaba) .To do this you need, however, access the parameters of Rx via the menu "Device Explorer" of the Jeti TX (I have the DS-16) and set the output Pin 7 (physical channel 7) not as a "servant" but "Serial UDI" (12 or 16 is irrelevant). In doing so not only can you connect the gyroscope (or other devices) via a single cable, but you can take advantage of as many as 16 output channels: 7 in the pin of Rx and others 9 virtual (total 16...). It 'simply assign the functions and the assignment to serve on Tx find them on the device (in my case the Aura 8). in doing so I was able to enjoy a total of 11 channels in my Rx 7 channels ... And all works fine!
Old 08-19-2018, 02:02 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can this gyro drive separate channels for the elevator, aileron, etc? In other words, lets say I have two separate elevator servos, and two separate aileron channels, and one rudder channel. Would I have to use Sbus? Without Sbus, is the Aura limited to 4 inputs,and 4 outputs? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes, without a serial input it is 4 in 4 out.
with a serial input it can drive eight servos
Old 08-19-2018, 07:10 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

does it understand "taileron" mix from the TX, or does it have the taileron capacity in one of it's programmable modes?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:56 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

No, Everything must be done in the Gyro using the configuration tool on a PC
Old 08-20-2018, 05:07 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
does it understand "taileron" mix from the TX, or does it have the taileron capacity in one of it's programmable modes?
I had one of Flex innovations Flex Jets and it supported Tailerons in flight modes. Still this was implements IN the Aura 8, NOT the transmitter. The Aura works best with a very basic transmitter setup of 1 Aileron, 1 Elevator and Rudder and then configuring sual Ailerons, split elevators, etc..
Old 08-20-2018, 06:51 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

To expand on this a bit:
The Aura was designed to be a flight assist, and not an autopilot. Meaning it helps the plane fly better, but does not have SAFE modes, true wing leveling, etc. It is excellent at dampening unplanned deviations such as wind gusts, allowing smaller planes to fly as if they were much bigger, and big planes to feel even more solid. The unique feature is called "stick priority", meaning that as you increase the amount of stick movement, the gyros ramp down so they don't get in the way of maneuverability. This is adjustable on all 3 axii.
To implement the stick priority, the Aura has to be able to count on a fixed relationship between a sticks position and the output sent by the TX. This means your fancy programmable TX should be set up as a dumb 4-channel with no options. The Aura takes over doing the dual rates, expo, mixing, etc., rather than those being set up in the TX. For example, if you set up dual rates in your TX, when you flip to low, it appears to the Aura that you haven't moved your stick as far, and you may then have the gyros trying to correct the motion of the plane more than you otherwise would like. This is not as critical as it may sound - many of us still use TX functions, one just needs to be aware that it could have an impact, and you may need to spend a bit of time fine tuning the responsiveness of the Aura. Additional TX channels can be linked to switches, to use for doing things in the Aura like turning mixing on/off, turning gyros on/off, using dials/sliders to adjust gain in flight, etc.
The Aura is capable of having up to 3 different in-flight switch selectable performance modes (aka "flight modes") that are a combination of user defined rates, expo, mixing and gyro authority.
If there is a downside, it is a bit limited in some aspects of its ability to replace TX functions. An example: AER rates are all preset as desired in a flight mode. To change rates, one needs to set up an alternative mode with higher/lower rates. Because there are only 3 modes available, one quickly runs out if you want to separate out and have rates for each surface individually selectable via switch. Hence why some of us still use the TX for the function, but with the impact of not having stick priority be optimal.

Last edited by tedsander; 08-20-2018 at 06:54 AM.