Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Will clearance be a problem if I carry my jet engine while travelling through plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Will clearance be a problem if I carry my jet engine while travelling through plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 01:18 PM
rupesh rupak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will clearance be a problem if I carry my jet engine while travelling through plane

Hi,
I am planning to take my jet engine jetcat P80 from USA to India. It is a used jet engine. Will it be a problem at airport?

Anyone did this before? Help needed !!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:32 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the residual fuel will set off detectors and the engine will be confiscated. We have had more than a few customers loose engines while traveling with them in checked baggage. Some guys claim that if you thoroughly clean them with an orange cleaning agent sometimes they will pass through undetected. I would not chance it if you value the engine.

Dirk
Old 11-20-2016, 05:31 PM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem through china, taiwan, hong kong, the netherlands, italy.
In hand luggage every time, was only asked twice what that was out of the officer's curiousity and that's it.
I was given more trouble for a laptop cooling base honestly.
Never tried in checked in luggage, never will. Also never tried in america.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Its been a while, but I have done it in hand luggage on USA airports.
Keep it clean and it can help to carry a jet magazine, so that you can explain what it is with some backup
Old 11-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have travelled to and from Africa and America from Australia and used both checked and hand luggage options - never had a problem.

The main thing is to prevent the smell of kero/fuel. Make sure the engine and related fuel components are flushed with a citrus cleaning agent and the dried properly. Then wrap it in a towel which will absorb any possible spillage/leakage. Spray the towel with a strong airfreshner. Finally wrap it up in heavy-duty plastic and seal it completely. My preferred option would be hand luggage and only because I can have it under my guard all the time - many engines have been lost using the checked luggage option. Do not travel with any batteries anywhere near the turbine.

Enjoy your travels.

Jan
Old 11-20-2016, 10:42 PM
rupesh rupak

Has that ever happened to somebody if they have confiscated jet engine from carry-on bag?
I do have sufficient proof of it like manual and magazine and also I am a jet propulsion student here. But I am going to Tunisia from US and from there to India. I will have to convinced everyone on the road. And its valuable off course. but I have no other way...courier takes $100 and over that custom charges are pretty high may be $100-200. Jet is worth $800.

Suggestions welcome !!
Old 11-21-2016, 02:24 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check with the involved airlines / airports maybe?

in 2008 I carried a jetcat P80 engine from the US to Ireland in my checked in luggage. I had no problems, but maybe I was lucky? I dont know.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:34 AM
rupesh rupak

Originally Posted by Tuggs

in 2008 I carried a jetcat P80 engine from the US to Ireland in my checked in luggage. I had no problems, but maybe I was lucky? I dont know.
According to this I think I should be allowed https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...s_and_Crew.pdf

On page 14, Internal combustion engine or fuel cell engine are permitted.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:54 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Back when my son was racing, his helmet (which we always carried on the plane) was taken and subjected to the chemical detector at the airport.
It was the fuel residue on the helmet that set it off.
I would imagine that a turbine would have the same result.
Why not just send it via UPS/FedEx/DHL?
Old 11-21-2016, 05:22 AM
rupesh rupak

Originally Posted by ltc
Back when my son was racing, his helmet (which we always carried on the plane) was taken and subjected to the chemical detector at the airport.
It was the fuel residue on the helmet that set it off.
I would imagine that a turbine would have the same result.
Why not just send it via UPS/FedEx/DHL?
That is an option but little costlier as I have to cross two countries custom and might end up paying heavy charges. But I am considering this option too.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:29 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by rupesh rupak
Has that ever happened to somebody if they have confiscated jet engine from carry-on bag?
I do have sufficient proof of it like manual and magazine and also I am a jet propulsion student here. But I am going to Tunisia from US and from there to India. I will have to convinced everyone on the road. And its valuable off course. but I have no other way...courier takes $100 and over that custom charges are pretty high may be $100-200. Jet is worth $800.

Suggestions welcome !!
Ali Machinchy had a turbine confiscated from a checked bag by TSA while flying in the USA. See post 70 in the thread below.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...lgin-il-3.html
Old 11-21-2016, 06:45 AM
rupesh rupak

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Ali Machinchy had a turbine confiscated from a checked bag by TSA while flying in the USA. See post 70 in the thread below.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...lgin-il-3.html

Oh I went through the whole post.. It is really sad ..people have lost a kingtech and even two jetcat at a time...That's why people carry it in carry-on baggage so that they can justify it. Keeping in checked baggage is a risk. They take it n you can't do anything about it. Now I am wondering. Courier could be a better option. pay 200-300 extra to save 800 and escape the unpredictability.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:48 AM
c_makhija

Hello Rupesh,

Been carrying turbines in my checked inn baggage for the last 12 years now almost across the world without problems.
Like others said make sure no smell of kero around, and you should be fine. for Indian customs please tell them its an air compressor and you should be ok.

Regards
Chatty.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 AM
rupesh rupak

Originally Posted by c_makhija
Hello Rupesh,

Been carrying turbines in my checked inn baggage for the last 12 years now almost across the world without problems.
Like others said make sure no smell of kero around, and you should be fine. for Indian customs please tell them its an air compressor and you should be ok.

Regards
Chatty.

That was some consolation.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:31 AM
rupesh rupak

Originally Posted by c_makhija
Hello Rupesh,

Regards
Chatty.
Hi Chatty, I have PMd you can you plz reply to that.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:21 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi
I have done it, Emailed the airport and the airline. They could not have cared less, so long as there was no fuel and no batteries. I carried it in hand luggage, took a jet magazine, and the emails printed out. They were fine about it and really quite interested in it.
Here if they will not let you take something of value through you can ask for a reclamation form and collect it on your return.
John
Old 11-21-2016, 02:45 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience was bad...
I went first to the TSA agents and showed the engine to see if they were ok to hand carry. if not I could check it. They said it was ok
I went to American and checked my luggage and came back to TSA. The same guy I spoke with 10 minutes before said no.... And not only that, he went to American Airlines with me to notify them that this was a dangerous item and that if it was up to him, he would not allow it to be checked in. American of course complied so I was stuck.

being a sunday, there was no Fedex or UPS at the airport (Chicago). Luckily a friend was nearby, took the engine and shipped it to me. Otherwise, I would have had to spend the night there.

So.... at least for domestic flights, spending 30 bucks to fedex it to the destination before hand is totally worth it. I know international is a completely different story.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:52 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuggs

^^^^ This. Ask the specific airlines. Even the FAA can only tell you what the rules are for the US and airlines can have tighter rules.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:32 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last TSA guidance PROHIBITS internal combustion engines in checked baggage.. If you get a nice guy it could make it.. an A-hole it goes into confiscated pile and you wont get it back.. To properly comply to carry it, it would need to be purged of fuel and certified as purged.. Technically to be compliant you would probably have to trip the solenoids and purge all of the lines of fuel...More trouble than its worth vice just shipping it. I wouldn't show up at the gate unless you had somebody local to take it if they gave you grief.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:59 PM
c_makhija

Originally Posted by rupesh rupak
Hi Chatty, I have PMd you can you plz reply to that.
Replied.

Chatty.