Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

turbine choice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

turbine choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 08:03 PM
patmo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbine choice

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to buy a turbine (140N), my choice is kingtech or jets-munt. Both have pros and cons, is possible to have ''jetsman'' opinions.

Thanks a lot!!
Old 11-20-2016, 08:21 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Both are very good engines, but if you want to use telemetry with your engine (I assume it will be a new one), then you must first check if the ECU will be compatible. All the Xicoy ECU's are fine and will give you telemetry options on all radio systems.

Jan
Old 11-21-2016, 06:03 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

I'd go with the Merlin simply because it is brushless and way lighter than the K.T.

Just out on interest, you say both have pros and cons but what can the K.T offer you that the Merlin doesn't?

Jason
Old 11-21-2016, 08:36 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The option to run on diesel for those who cant easily get JetA or Kero
Old 11-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I converted last year to jetsmunt also because they use the brushless pump and starter and yes are lighter. Getting a 100 soon for my Flash because of lower weight and they actually list the residual thrust where Kingtech doesn't.
Jetsmunt is a much more high tech turbine in my opinion but Kingtech has good reliable turbines. Jetsmunt just gives you a little more but you do have to pay extra for it.

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 11-21-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:23 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

The JM140 and the new K140 are almost identical in weight.

The new K140s also have a very fast auto restart. I know jetsmunts also have auto restart but its not as fast as the Kingtech auto restart.

Kingtech is also cheaper in price. New KT pumps also self prime before start.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:27 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Kingtech Turbines have been bullet proof over the past 6 years!!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Service! KT service it the best in my opinion. Fast, reliable and responsive. and you can get support with just a phone call.
Runs on Diesel, Kero tends to be seasonal and hard to find at times and its double the price.
All of the G2 versions have the Auto Restart funtion
Cost. KT seems to be a few hundred $$ cheaper across the board.

Jetmunts are great engines, They would be my second choice if I did not have KingTech.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:48 AM
Gary Jefferson

Originally Posted by gunradd

The new K140s also have a very fast auto restart. I know jetsmunts also have auto restart but its not as fast as the Kingtech auto restart.

What does self priming mean?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:54 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by raron455
The option to run on diesel for those who cant easily get JetA or Kero
Jets Munt website says Diesel is fine... it that just marketing?
Old 11-21-2016, 02:28 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Deisel is fine, its just a matter of filtration. Diesel in some countries is quite dirty, but all diesel is dirty than Kero. Filter it for grit and water carefully and thouroughy.
Heating oil also will run in many turbines.

John
Old 11-21-2016, 04:01 PM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Gary
When you posted that you want to get a 100 for your Lightining are you talking about the jet from Composite/Arf? If so I don't think you would be happy with that size turbine! I believe I would put a 180 size turbine in it myself. I have 2 Ul's with Jet Central Rhinos in them and they fly great with that setup!
Mel

Last edited by melvin; 11-21-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Gary Jefferson

Mel, its for an Ultra Flash. I wrote Lightning by mistake. Good catch!!
Old 11-21-2016, 05:46 PM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson
What does self priming mean?

Gary it has a solenoid on the pump and before the ignition phase it will loop the fuel inside the pump so its primed and helps insure a good ignition for the start.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:22 PM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

No problem Gary! I was hoping you meant a flash. By the way ive been running Jet Central turbines and I absolutely love them. Ive had 0 issues with over 300 flights and I run them on diesel only. Good luck on which ever way you choose
Mel
Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

The 140 JM is nearly 1 lb lighter than the KT. Brushless on the JM doesn't do much for me- It will last longer, but is more expensive. For a flash I would go for the lightest weight install. The new KT pump self priming valve on the pump doesn't do much for me either.. just something to clog/plug and cause an issue. with the old pump if get some air in the line it might not start the first time.. if the purge valve screws up on the new one you are potentially down for service..
The ability to run diesel is nice.. I am sure the JM would drink ok it but they don't recommend it so whatever that is worth.. I like to be able to dump my fuel in the tractor if gets too old...
Old 11-21-2016, 08:11 PM
AEROSHELDON

Jets-Munt website says Diesel is OK... is it just unproven?

http://www.jetsmunt.com/wp/m140xbl/
Old 11-22-2016, 12:04 AM
cetigershark

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Jets-Munt website says Diesel is OK... is it just unproven?

http://www.jetsmunt.com/wp/m140xbl/

Hi all

Jetsmunt approves Diese, just pick the right oil. Refer to the instructin Manual.
I run my VT80 and 100XBL with Diesel, no problem.

There is actually nothing the K140 offers over Jetsmunt. In todays Market, I see Jetsmunt as the best for the following reasons:

1)very efficient turbines. Check the turbine comparison charts in RCJI... The guys there test seriously, their values are correct. Jetsmunt are lightweight, fuel efficient and easy to install.

2) best customer service ever. People at Jetsmunt speak englisch and reply within less than 24hrs.

Regards,
Christof
Old 11-22-2016, 01:53 AM
number27

I have run diesel in my 140XBL Jets Munt from its first start. No need to change parameters when switching between Jet A1, Kero or Diesel. I beleive with Kingtech you have to change parmaeters or used to when i had a K140G anyway maybe different with the newer model. Fuel efficiency plus with the Jets Munt any size.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:59 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Another absolutely wrapped jetmunts 140XBL owner here.

have had KT, but have found the jetmunts more fuel efficient and lighter install at the time I was buying mine.

thanks

dave

Last edited by ticketec; 11-22-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:08 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by 2walla
The 140 JM is nearly 1 lb lighter than the KT. Brushless on the JM doesn't do much for me- It will last longer, but is more expensive. For a flash I would go for the lightest weight install. The new KT pump self priming valve on the pump doesn't do much for me either.. just something to clog/plug and cause an issue. with the old pump if get some air in the line it might not start the first time.. if the purge valve screws up on the new one you are potentially down for service..
The ability to run diesel is nice.. I am sure the JM would drink ok it but they don't recommend it so whatever that is worth.. I like to be able to dump my fuel in the tractor if gets too old...

This info is incorrect. Kingtech has a new K140 out that is smaller and lighter then the old one.

JM140 is 3.2 lbs installed Dreamworks price $2995.00
K140 is 3.5lbs installed Kingtech USA $2290.00

So the difference is 0.3 pounds.

They are both fine engines. I like the fact at most of the bigger events in the US Kingtech attends and has spares if needed encase of problems. nothing worse then spending a ton of money to go to an event and have a problem. Also Dirk or Barry will usually pic up service calls even on the weekend.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:44 AM
AEROSHELDON

They are both fine engines. I like the fact at most of the bigger events in the US Kingtech attends and has spares if needed encase of problems. nothing worse then spending a ton of money to go to an event and have a problem. Also Dirk or Barry will usually pic up service calls even on the weekend.
Very true! And also at least here Kingtech has a big following so if you have a simple question one of your buddies probably knows the answer because he is probably running a Kingtech. That counts for a lot too.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Gary Jefferson

Originally Posted by 2walla
The one difference I noticed the first time I started the Jetsmunt 200 was the difference between a brushless pump and a standard pump and its ability to pull fuel and prime itself instantaneously. If all brushless pumps are similar there is no need for a self priming function on a turbine with a brushless pump.
Standard pumps need to be primed, sometimes voltage turned up, etc to get them to pull fuel until they are wet. The brushless pump on my XBL 200 doesn't. As soon as the program calls for fuel it immediately starts pumping fuel. So there is a bit of a difference between a standard pump and brushless pump, at least on startup.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, Jetmunts use the typical German calculations to determine thrust. KT is true thrust. Across the board they make more power.

There new LCD screen is beautiful and is a touch screen.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:08 PM
rcguy5

This info is incorrect. Kingtech has a new K140 out that is smaller and lighter then the old one.

JM140 is 3.2 lbs installed Dreamworks price $2995.00
K140 is 3.5lbs installed Kingtech USA $2290.00

So the difference is 0.3 pounds.

Not sure why Dreamworks price is higher but Altecare has them listed at $2595 usd.

http://www.altecare.com/jetsmunt140.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.