Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is a twin turbine powered F-15 a good option ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is a twin turbine powered F-15 a good option ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is a twin turbine powered F-15 a good option ?

I find it way cooler to use two smaller turbines than using a big turbine and a bifurcated pipe.
Weight would be higher I know, but an F-15 provides lots of wing area.
What are the real pros and cons ?
Now that some turbine feature in flight restart, it might be time to try that out ?
Thank you for your input.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Twins are cool. But given the experiences I have had just keeping one turbine running, I personally won't consider a twin, even though I would love an A-10, F-14 or an SU-27 twin. I have watched a couple twins in the club and they all wound up in the trash can relatively early in their lives.

The weight is one thing to carefully consider. You can get to the point that you need more power than you can squeeze in the plane just to overcome the weight and you can wind up with an under-powered plane. It all depends on the plane.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:15 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I am waiting for someone to be on the cutting edge and put a single turbine in an F-15 on one side. Years ago I flew a Byron F 15 ducted fan and I can't count how many times one engine quit. The plane would fly around fine on one engine with no bad habits. It was just slower.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:16 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jofunk
I am waiting for someone to be on the cutting edge and put a single turbine in an F-15 on one side. Years ago I flew a Byron F 15 ducted fan and I can't count how many times one engine quit. The plane would fly around fine on one engine with no bad habits. It was just slower.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ne-option.html
Old 11-26-2016, 06:39 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the model... the 1:9.5 are way to heavy with twins.. the 1:7 scale no problem!!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

The few times I built twins, they seemed to load out fine and fly fine. My twin P-120 powered F-18's were both lighter (AUW) than all the single 200-powered ones I'd ever heard of.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

One of the really problematic things with twins is if you have a flame-out it's quite difficult to determine which side quit in a short time. The other is that as mentioned, if the single engine performance is marginal, you're asking for trouble, just like a full scale.

With the newer turbines now starting to come with auto re-start capability, I think that alone will make quite a difference in the survive ability of twins.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:06 AM
David Gladwin

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a twin engined Mig 29, two JetCat 140rxis.

Engines are the least of your problems.

I had had a flameout just after lift off on one flight, ( very old tubing in one home made hopper tank, the other with Tygon was fine ! )
The model was safely recovered on the remaining engine with careful handling using the techniques very similar to that used on the real Canberra, a twin with demanding handling on one engine.

Determining the failed engine is quite easy, the model will always roll and yaw towards the dead engine.

The only aircraft I know off which rolls away from the dead engine was Concorde when the spill doors open !
Old 11-28-2016, 01:13 AM
David Gladwin

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
I have a twin engined Mig 29, two JetCat 140rxis.

Engines are the least of your problems.

I had had a flameout just after lift off on one flight, ( very old tubing in one home made hopper tank, the other with Tygon was fine ! )
The model was safely recovered on the remaining engine with careful handling using the techniques very similar to that used on the real Canberra, a twin with demanding handling on one engine.

Determining the failed engine is quite easy, the model will always roll and yaw towards the dead engine.

The only aircraft I know off which rolls away from the dead engine was Concorde when the spill doors open !
Like the Mig the F15 has large double fins and close to centreline thrust, so should be an excellent candidate for twin installation.

Other types, such as the Me262 ( a real handful on one engine, as related to me by Eric Brown who had flown one, it had a se safety speed of around 180 knots) the Meteor and the Canberra ( se safety speeds of 140 k) would be very difficult models in the event of an engine out scenario.

I say go for it!

David G.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Like Brian says it depends on the size. If its the bigger 1/7 scale then twin is real nice. 1/9 scale then a single.

Pic below is my old 1/7 scale I sold single engine and my friends twin F15E.

I had my 1/7 and a friend had his 1/7 at Kentucky jets and we did allot of flying together. His was twin K140s and mine was a single K210.
His had a longer flight time lower fuel burn and allot more power. Mine had better sound and because of the lower power mine seemed to fly at a more scale speed. If I was building the plane all over again it would be twin for sure. I am about to start building a skymaster F18 and it will be twin.

Pros of a twin
-redundancy encase of failure. (if its a newer kingtech engine it will also have auto restart.)
-Less fuel burn
-cheaper and less likely to fail pipes.
-lots more power
-lower throttle setting for flight

The pros of single
-Better sound with the Y pipe.
-less complex
-lower cost

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13709842_10206181451646514_2076016097711021571_n.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	2191525  
Old 11-28-2016, 04:59 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Long turm future build is a twin Gloster Meteor, thinking two K45

here is my 70mm

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4050.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2191526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4051.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	2191527  
Old 11-28-2016, 07:17 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Nobody has mentioned one of the other big 'cons' of twin installation: All the time you spend standing there wondering, "Oh crap. Is one dead?!?!" On my F-18 (my first twin), I was VERY unaccustomed to the quiet sound of straight pipes in that plane. Add to that the quiet sound of a P-80SE at half throttle. I spent the whole first flight nervously convinced that I'd already lost an engine. Finally, my spotter suggested I point her straight up, and straight up she went (again, at half throttle on twin P-80SE's) and it was like watching a video of a shuttle launch with the volume turned off. Spotter says, "Uhh... it ain't gonna do that on one engine."

I never had to try to land it on one engine, but I did experiment with how low a throttle setting I could perform a missed approach. I was able to clean up, climb out of a missed approach at about 25 degrees and land at about 1/4 throttle. With the thrust lines so close together, I was pretty confident that the bird could do whatever I needed it to at full throttle on one engine.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:00 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

My skymaster F18 will have tail mounted engines with no pipes. The engines are offset so they point out some encase of engine failure it will fly fine. This also is the reason if you go twin you should go with an engine that will fly the plane on one engine IMO. Will be going with twin K160s in my new plane. One will fly it ok.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

With all the new telemitry can't you simply put an alarm if one engine dies?

TB