Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle jet f16 1/8

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle jet f16 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:29 AM
scaryxxl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Eagle jet f16 1/8

Hi there. I need your help.
I just get one f16 1/8 fej it's the standard version not the advanced one. So I want to ask if it's better to fly it with élevon and the ailerons used only as flaps. Or using elevator and ailerons and then use the flaperon to use the ailerons as flaps as well. And I'll need the mm of movement.
Thanks a lot
Old 12-11-2016, 10:52 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had one, it was my first jet, flew well, but I overpowered it (jetcat p120sx) and after 20 flights or so I ended up blowing the rear vertical stab apart with a full power pass, my fault. The plane was pretty solid, it was all wood, but mine was heavy, buy like I said it flew well. If yours has any honeycomb matierial in it, do yourself a favor and do not fly it...
On the F16 you really dont want to mess with flaperons, the gear and doors will slow it down fine. The plane will fly on just a taileron setup, but I prefer to have ailerons. I flew mine on a standard setup, 2 ailerons, elevators and rudder, same setup I use on my current 1/6 SM f16, works well.

Last edited by raron455; 12-11-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:33 AM
scaryxxl

Thanks a lot! What are you referring with honeycomb material? How can I check it
Old 12-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think I got similar to yours, I built it last summer.

I made a new place for the engine, between elevons and wing trailing edge. I used a surplus Grumania pipe and made a 2 liter fuel tank out of a bottle.
Full weight with electric retracts, 4 packs of batteries and cockpit is 10.7kg. Flies fine with Jets munt 80, elevons and ailerons.

-J
Old 12-12-2016, 06:37 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have an older FEJ 1/8 Standard F-16. I fly it with a conventional aileron/elevator set up. I've never tried it, but have seen several F-16's fly with tailerons. They just don't seem to fly as well particularly in the turns. There's no need for flaperons either. It slows down fine with the gear door drag and a little bit of nose up attitude.

Here's how mine is set:
Ailerons +/- 25 mm. expo 35
Elevators +/- 50 mm. expo 40
Rudder +/- 25 mm. expo 40
CG 160 mm. behind the wing LE at the fuse

You might want to modify the above to suit your style. I prefer a lot of throw and a lot of expo. Use these as the high rates and set low rates slightly less in case you need it for your first flight.

Good luck,
Joe
Old 12-12-2016, 07:16 AM
scaryxxl

Thanks to all !
Old 12-12-2016, 07:34 AM
raron455

Originally Posted by scaryxxl
Thanks a lot! What are you referring with honeycomb material? How can I check it
Later on FEJ started using a honeycomb type composite looking panel board instead of laminated plywood for bulkheads and formers, evwn qent as far as using it in stabilisers, they did this to reduce weight, however the downfall was a total loss of strength. There are so many here who have lost planes due to that honeycomb layup. I have not heard of the 1/8 with them but not sure. Have a good look at all the formers in the fuse, they should all be plywood, with some reinforcement of glass or carbon. If it looks like a honeycomb matierial in the middle that is a proven problem.
Hope this helps
Ronnie

B

Last edited by raron455; 12-12-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:37 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have the 1/8 FE F16, Tried maiden and could npt get it to rotate for lift off, some particulars are,

Balance and throws of conventional ail/ele set as per manual.
I did set ailerons down 5/16" for take off roll.
AMT Mercury in full BVM bypass with BVM tail pipe sold for AMT Mercury vintage mid 2000
Flying weight with fuel 23lb
FE pnuematic tires allowed for 0-53mph in first 100' feet then would not go faster or rotate in the next 300' shut it down and now it sits as NEW never flown.

Jet has eagle tree pitot tube with dashboard for speed verification

Been asking around where to go with it next.,,

Remove bypass and go back stock bell mouth

Work with tires and angle of attack

Exceed elevator throws to max throw to help rotate?

These have been a few suggested, I need for this to fly from 500' paved.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:57 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had one of these with conventional aileron/elevators. It's a very solid flying model, no bad tendencies. Much easier to land than Skymaster of the same size.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22997.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	2193235  

Last edited by FalconWings; 12-12-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Ceeray

Originally Posted by c/f
I too have the 1/8 FE F16, Tried maiden and could npt get it to rotate for lift off, some particulars are,

AMT Mercury in full BVM bypass with BVM tail pipe sold for AMT Mercury vintage mid 2000
FE pnuematic tires allowed for 0-53mph in first 100' feet then would not go faster or rotate in the next 300' shut it down and now it sits as NEW never flown.

Try a different cg.. mine sits now at 170mm from leading edge and with little flaps takes off by itself with only little pull on elevator.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:51 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by c/f

Make sure that it sits with a slight nose up attitude. The recommended CG is too nose heavy. 160 mm. CG with 50 mm. elevator works for me. Put enough air in the tires to make them hard. Make sure that the brakes aren't dragging, and lube the wheel bearings. Mine is 21# dry with 21# of thrust. Takes off in about 350 ft. of pavement. It did about the same when I had an 18# Wren in it.

Joe
Old 12-12-2016, 12:13 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by raron455
Later on FEJ started using a honeycomb type composite looking panel board instead of laminated plywood for bulkheads and formers, evwn qent as far as using it in stabilisers, they did this to reduce weight, however the downfall was a total loss of strength. There are so many here who have lost planes due to that honeycomb layup. I have not heard of the 1/8 with them but not sure. Have a good look at all the formers in the fuse, they should all be plywood, with some reinforcement of glass or carbon. If it looks like a honeycomb matierial in the middle that is a proven problem.
Hope this helps
Ronnie

B

Honeycomb for formers bad bad ideal. I have a 1/7 FEJ F16, it is all honeycomb except for the formers that are all plywood. I love the honeycomb, as my F16 is the most firm, and strongest feeling jet if have seen. FEJ did add a bunch of carbon fiber around the rear formers that support the rudder, and elevators. I cut my elevator apart to make sure, they added ply with the honeycomb it was all good.

I have never tried the flaparons either, It lands great, I like to keep a lot of speed on landing.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:50 PM
raron455

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Honeycomb for formers bad bad ideal. I have a 1/7 FEJ F16, it is all honeycomb except for the formers that are all plywood. I love the honeycomb, as my F16 is the most firm, and strongest feeling jet if have seen. FEJ did add a bunch of carbon fiber around the rear formers that support the rudder, and elevators. I cut my elevator apart to make sure, they added ply with the honeycomb it was all good.

I have never tried the flaparons either, It lands great, I like to keep a lot of speed on landing.
Ha,, that's funny
Old 12-12-2016, 07:34 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ha,, that's funny

I know right. Never something I thought I would say, I own 2 Carf , 3 Skymasters , 1/5 JetLedgend L39 and a Velox XL and this one odd FEJ I was given for free because my boy was to scared to fly Fly FEJ because of there history. I'm not going to say I wasn't worried but I have made a Byron F16 and F20 into turbine jets I figured it would be a base to work with.

But it I will say the honeycomb skin of this jet is really nice and firm. I love I can pick it up anywhere on the jet and it's sold unlike my Carf Eurosport I'm rebuilding due to its many years of service and very thin fiberglass that likes to crack if not super careful with.

With that said. I would never spend my hard earned money on anything FEJ new or used. I would rather convert the Byron F15 I'm working on vs Gaint FEJ F15
Old 12-14-2016, 12:24 AM
tisdall_80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know right. Never something I thought I would say, I own 2 Carf , 3 Skymasters , 1/5 JetLedgend L39 and a Velox XL and this one odd FEJ I was given for free because my boy was to scared to fly Fly FEJ because of there history. I'm not going to say I wasn't worried but I have made a Byron F16 and F20 into turbine jets I figured it would be a base to work with.

But it I will say the honeycomb skin of this jet is really nice and firm. I love I can pick it up anywhere on the jet and it's sold unlike my Carf Eurosport I'm rebuilding due to its many years of service and very thin fiberglass that likes to crack if not super careful with.

With that said. I would never spend my hard earned money on anything FEJ new or used. I would rather convert the Byron F15 I'm working on vs Gaint FEJ F15
Hi,

Any pics of the Byron F20?? I have one NIB..

Cheers
Old 12-14-2016, 07:41 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I have one also. got it in 2008 at Kentucky jets.Have a Wren K100 in her. Only flew it at K Jets and Indiana Warbirds until this last season. Flew it at our club field this year for the first time.Kinda afraid of it, as I thought it was a rocket compared to my KingCat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5165.JPG
Views:	1139
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2193453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5169.JPG
Views:	1232
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2193454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5178.JPG
Views:	1136
Size:	867.0 KB
ID:	2193455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5189.JPG
Views:	1115
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2193456  
Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 AM
FalconWings

These idiots would have a great company if they had listened rather than attacking back their customers!! They have enormous ability to prototype, all they need is a reliable technical staff.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:25 AM
number27

Originally Posted by Ceeray
I think I got similar to yours, I built it last summer.

I made a new place for the engine, between elevons and wing trailing edge. I used a surplus Grumania pipe and made a 2 liter fuel tank out of a bottle.
Full weight with electric retracts, 4 packs of batteries and cockpit is 10.7kg. Flies fine with Jets munt 80, elevons and ailerons.

-J
Interested in your electric retracts information. Just having some issues with the air retracts not locking in and then collapsing on taxing out to fly etc.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:47 AM
Ceeray

I had a set of electric retracts from my crashed viperjet. I just ordered a custom trunnion for nose (110 deg or so) and bolted them on. Then I made doors open/close with servo. Only thing I need pressurised air is brakes and that was easy.

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...&cPath=189_264

Trimair retracts. Best bang for the buck!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:00 AM
raron455

I had mine converted by down and locked, no more problems after that, but it cost me over 600$
Old 01-06-2017, 07:23 AM
number27

Originally Posted by Ceeray
I had a set of electric retracts from my crashed viperjet. I just ordered a custom trunnion for nose (110 deg or so) and bolted them on. Then I made doors open/close with servo. Only thing I need pressurised air is brakes and that was easy.

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...&cPath=189_264

Trimair retracts. Best bang for the buck!
The model I have has the custom scale gear. Will look at a ram similar in dimensions of the air ram. tks for your reply
Old 01-06-2017, 07:24 AM
number27

I had mine converted by down and locked, no more problems after that, but it cost me over 600$
for that coast will sort out alternative or fix the air issue.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by number27
The model I have has the custom scale gear. Will look at a ram similar in dimensions of the air ram. tks for your reply
Then you pbly have the Advanced version. Does it have the nice opening canopy?
The advanced and the std version fly very differently. Advanced is kind of a pig, like a Skymaster. The standard is very light, a very good sport/scale model.

David
Old 01-06-2017, 03:10 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are any of the FEJ 1/4.6 scale F-16 still flying. There have only been a few posts and videos of this model, and most posts and videos were posted 2+years ago. Curious to know if any have survived.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:40 PM
number27

canopy is manual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.