Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Experience sullivan proflex tubing and JetA?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Experience sullivan proflex tubing and JetA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 08:20 AM
roydefiant

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Experience sullivan proflex tubing and JetA?

https://www.sullivanproducts.com/
Old 12-23-2016, 08:35 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the literature says it's compatable with diesel so Jet-A is essentially the same stuff. The real question is will it collapse under suction or not.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
Well, the literature says it's compatable with diesel so Jet-A is essentially the same stuff. The real question is will it collapse under suction or not.
There's a thread on FG about it and it would seem to be made out of the same stuff as Viton. Other than that, I've not seen anyone post about actually trying the stuff as it's about $5.00 a foot which is a chunk more than Viton at McMaster-Carr.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:22 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sullivan Proflex is FKM (fluoroelastomer), which is resistant to gas/oil/diesel/kero. However, there are a number of different classes of FKM with varying degrees of chemical and heat resistance. Sullivan does not say which class of FKM they use. It is widely used inside automotive fuel tanks, some grades of FKM hold up better than others in gasoline (which is a worse environment than kero or diesel). For our applications it's a lot better than Tygon and should last indefinitely.

FKM was invented by Dupont, and their trade name for it is Viton. Personally I use soft Viton tubing from McMaster-Carr inside the fuel tanks on all of my jets and gassers. https://www.mcmaster.com/#viton-fluoroelastomer-tubing/=15m41ws

Last edited by joeflyer; 12-24-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:37 AM
RPTADD1213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Sullivan Pro Flex fuel tubing sense it came out. About a month and a half. It is very flexible. Does not collapse under use. It stays flexible in tank and out. I tested it in a tank. I installed it in a tank and then filled it with 92 octain gas with Redline oil. It has been in the gas for about 2 months. Still flexible . Did not harden. I know. Your going to say it hasn't been out that long. Sullivan sent some test tubing to me. thats how I got it. I just ordered more from Tower Hobbies. Got it yesterday. 12 feet for approx $ 30. Will never use Tygon or Viton again. Nice to see the fuel tubing just hanging limp from the fill dot and not sticking straight out. Love it.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:57 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The trouble is that Sullivan only sells the smaller sizes of this tubing.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's now available in two sizes; standard for 1/8" fittings and large for 3/16" fittings.

Proflex and Viton are both FKM material and will last indefinitely in kero or gasoline. That's the same material that is used inside automotive fuel tanks.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:58 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The price looks good compared to Viton from MC but my concern is the thin wall which could kink.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:35 PM
kelly vallee

I tested on my jerry can for diesel, and find it to easy to kink and collapse to easily.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:15 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

I used some in a gas tank for a 3D plane and it’s so flexible the clunk lodged in the front of the tank and caused a dead stick. The tank was pretty small so I was surprised to see that it flexed enough to jam. So in the future I’m going to have to change how I run the pick up. Other then that issue I really like not having to worry about the tygon stiffie
Old 11-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I use the clear transparent fuel tubing BVM sells inside my tanks. Not sure what it is, but it works like a charm.

Cheers,

JanR