Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel in different turbines??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel in different turbines??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 05:10 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be wrong as I don't own a Kingtech but I believe they recommend that you use only their oil and the warranty may not be honored if you don't so you would also want to know from Jetsmunt if Kingtech oil is ok to use in their engines unless you want to have two different fuel jugs.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:40 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by afterburner
I may be wrong as I don't own a Kingtech but I believe they recommend that you use only their oil and the warranty may not be honored if you don't so you would also want to know from Jetsmunt if Kingtech oil is ok to use in their engines unless you want to have two different fuel jugs.
Kingtech has a couple of specific turbine oils they exclude due to observed coking problems, and I think all 2-stroke motorcycle oils. But to the best of my knowledge they do not require you to use Kingtech oils. I do use theirs since I only have Kingtech's, but others at my field use generally available turbine oils. For more information on what Kingtech will and won't warranty, contact Dirk or Barry. There are also threads on this topic on the Kingtech support forum.

Greg
Old 12-30-2016, 06:41 PM
afterburner

Originally Posted by gsmarino2000
Kingtech has a couple of specific turbine oils they exclude due to observed coking problems, and I think all 2-stroke motorcycle oils. But to the best of my knowledge they do not require you to use Kingtech oils. I do use theirs since I only have Kingtech's, but others at my field use generally available turbine oils. For more information on what Kingtech will and won't warranty, contact Dirk or Barry. There are also threads on this topic on the Kingtech support forum.

Greg
From the Kingtech engine manual:

KingTech engines use Diesel, 1-K kerosene or Jet-A1 for fuel. Fuel must be mixed with 5%KingTech Special Blend or synthetic turbine oil (Aeroshell 500 and all 2-stroke oil areprohibited), or 1 quart of oil in every 5 gallons of fuel. Among the above 3 types of fuelKingTech highly recommends using regular pump Diesel as they are readily available,inexpensive and having a higher energy density and up to 10 to 12% better fuel efficiency. For best result and full core warranty, use KingTech Oil only, it is proven to be the cleanestand has the best lubrication properties for our engines, please refer to the below comparisonchart:
Old 01-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

$90 for 2 gallons delivered isn't a bad price. I got that for my Jetcat and it actually seems to run better than the Jetcat oil that was mixed before.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:19 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Mobil DTE Light can be had for about $95-100 for 5 Gallons. I plan on using it in my Jets Munt Merlin...

No one answered this tho:

"I have a Jets Munt that the previous owner ran Jet A exclusively in, and I can get Jet A but it is an hour or so round trip and Diesel is 5 min from home... so there is no issues using Diesel? I plan on 5% Mobil DTE Light as oil."

Anyone know??
Old 01-01-2017, 11:42 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In the Merlin opp's manual supplied with all Merlin turbines it says you can run diesel or kero with 3-5% oil content mixed in
Old 01-01-2017, 01:01 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
$90 for 2 gallons delivered isn't a bad price. I got that for my Jetcat and it actually seems to run better than the Jetcat oil that was mixed before.
REALLY, Care to quantify? Temps, max rpm, flight times,smoke,startup timesect....

a q
Old 01-01-2017, 04:34 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by scoeroo
In the Merlin opp's manual supplied with all Merlin turbines it says you can run diesel or kero with 3-5% oil content mixed in
Thank you. I was looking at the online manual and it just says Kero or Jet A.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner
From the Kingtech engine manual:

KingTech engines use Diesel, 1-K kerosene or Jet-A1 for fuel. Fuel must be mixed with 5%KingTech Special Blend or synthetic turbine oil (Aeroshell 500 and all 2-stroke oil areprohibited), or 1 quart of oil in every 5 gallons of fuel. Among the above 3 types of fuelKingTech highly recommends using regular pump Diesel as they are readily available,inexpensive and having a higher energy density and up to 10 to 12% better fuel efficiency. For best result and full core warranty, use KingTech Oil only, it is proven to be the cleanestand has the best lubrication properties for our engines, please refer to the below comparisonchart:
You may have to do a bit of searching, but I specifically asked Dirk about using the JetCat oil as it comes with anti-static mixed in, no carcinogens and I have three JetCats and two KingTechs.. He said it would be fine.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:14 PM
afterburner

Originally Posted by Zeeb
You may have to do a bit of searching, but I specifically asked Dirk about using the JetCat oil as it comes with anti-static mixed in, no carcinogens and I have three JetCats and two KingTechs.. He said it would be fine.
Hey no problem. Like I said, I have no skin in this game. Just repeating what I thought I heard and then checked the manual which confirmed it. I have only JetCentral engines and use Amsoil 2 stroke synthetic. If I were to get a Kingtech I guess I'd need two fuelers
Old 01-02-2017, 06:05 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Thank you. I was looking at the online manual and it just says Kero or Jet A.
Page 15 describes oils compatibility - not recommended to use the JC oil

Page 16 mid page describes the use of diesel & to slow the acceleration
Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by c/f
REALLY, Care to quantify? Temps, max rpm, flight times,smoke,startup timesect....

a q
Quantify what?

Maybe a brush up on your reading comprehension skills is in order..... The word "seems": is in there for a reason.

But it does start faster and finishes the cool down cycle sooner. Flight time is the same, and power SEEMS to be better.

Didn't want you to miss the word Seems again so I put it in all caps.