Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maybe Bob should start back up? BVM

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maybe Bob should start back up? BVM

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Maybe Bob should start back up? BVM

So here's a thought... Now that Trump will be imposing a 35% tax on items entering the USA... This would be a great time for BVM to get back into action. OR.. For foreign companies to open up in the US. If China builds them, and then ships to the US,(add 35% here) then they have to be shipped to Canada.. WOW EXPENSIVE!!! for Canadians unless they ship direct from China.

I really don't have all the facts on this tax that he is implementing.. So Please! tear me to shreds gently
Old 01-22-2017, 12:36 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, since Trump has been in office all of about 50 hours and the only story the press is interested in is how there were more people at BHO's 1st inauguration, I think its a bit too early to speculate on what taxes/tariffs may be imposed on imports in the U.S...

Bob
Old 01-22-2017, 12:57 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please stop it with the politics. We get enough of it on facebook, television, the newspaper, etc.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:53 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, let hear more about the new model jets, and powerplants coming to market this year. Let make 2017 the year to enjoy life, family, and flying.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:09 PM
Vettster

What politics... We're talking about a possible 35℅ increase to the cost of our models. Nothing more
Old 01-22-2017, 04:21 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettster
What politics... We're talking about a possible 35℅ increase to the cost of our models. Nothing more
So my point was, let's see if that is going to actually happen (I don't think it will) before we get all wrapped around the axle about it...

Besides, aren't you in Canada??? Does Canada do everything the U.S. does in trade policy??? I don't think that's the case.

The discussion about big jets vs. small ones and the economics of that was much more interesting...

Bob
Old 01-22-2017, 04:24 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Model jets aren't even on the radar screen. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Vettster

Originally Posted by rhklenke
So my point was, let's see if that is going to actually happen (I don't think it will) before we get all wrapped around the axle about it...

Besides, aren't you in Canada??? Does Canada do everything the U.S. does in trade policy??? I don't think that's the case.

The discussion about big jets vs. small ones and the economics of that was much more interesting...

Bob
Exactly...It is just a discussion.

Yes I'm in Canada...And where do you think we buy large jets and 90% of our smaller items. It's not from China. It gets shipped to the US and then drop shipped to us for a fortune in shipping cost and now possibly 35% more????????
Old 01-22-2017, 06:21 PM
Vettster

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Model jets aren't even on the radar screen. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

You have no proof of that.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:11 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Still a good time and more reason to support MADE IN THE USA.
It would be great to see a quality scale model plane manufacturer grow and flourish here.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:11 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There won’t be any significant tariff on most of the products we import because doing so would kill the economy. Think about it if the products we import had to be made here they would cost way more than
they do now and to large degree be unaffordable. Even if some products currently made here remain the factories will find a way to cut corners in order to cut cost and we the consumer will probably get the
short end of the stick.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me rearrange the question from OP.

Would you still buy foreign made kits, engines and hardware at a 35% higher price.

David
Old 01-23-2017, 05:32 AM
BlueBus320

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like $7000 is a good average number for most of the popular kits with gear & some ordnance. Plus 35% = $9450 + shipping & other ancillary (turbine, electronics etc.) items��... I'm guessing if that comes to fruition, it would be good for BV & US production, but not so good for us consumers.
just my guess
Jay

Last edited by BlueBus320; 01-23-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

BVM jets are made in USA ??? Obviously some are still thinking of the old ducted fan days. Very few, like the Ultra Bandit, are still made in the USA. Most of their ARF's have been made in Thailand for years now, beginning with the CARF partnership then to X-treme Composite. The PNP's are all Chinese from what I understand. So the only Made in USA products left are mostly the BVM accessories. My friend just got a BVM 1/5 F-16 PNP and it shipped to him direct from China.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	box Xtreme Composite.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2197844   Click image for larger version

Name:	kentucky 1.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	2197845  

Last edited by sc0tt; 01-23-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:15 AM
BlueBus320

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that that's the point. It may no longer be beneficial for BV or others to partner with Foriegn companies to import products. That in theory may create more US jobs, but I think us as consumers will need to pay more.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it's time to pull out the old slide rule, learn a CAD program, stock up on CA glue, balsa and plywood, learn how to do a composite layup, or spend an average of $10,000.00 on a sport jet. For the guys that know how to build, not a problem, for the guys that don't, well good luck...

Larry/Instructor
Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 AM
FalconWings

we have been at the $10,000 average sport jet for a while now.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Well, I've put my money where my mouth is.

I have 3 jets right now that are all made in the US.

Just yesterday, my friends were making fun of me how they have twice as many jets for the amount that I've spent.

Get ready for that.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:38 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Most of you are running around like Chicken Little yelling "the sky is falling"
Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettster
So here's a thought... Now that Trump will be imposing a 35% tax on items entering the USA... This would be a great time for BVM to get back into action. OR.. For foreign companies to open up in the US. If China builds them, and then ships to the US,(add 35% here) then they have to be shipped to Canada.. WOW EXPENSIVE!!! for Canadians unless they ship direct from China.

I really don't have all the facts on this tax that he is implementing.. So Please! tear me to shreds gently
Once again get your facts straight....

Trump said IF YOU LEAVE AMERICA then try to sell you products back. HE DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT FOREIGN OWED COMPANIES.

MY GOD WHY CAN'T PEOPLE STOP WITH THE MEDIA TALKING POINTS AND LISTEN TO THE MANS OWN WORDS INSTEAD OF WHAT THE MEDIA WANTS YOU TO HEAR AND BELIEVE ABOUT EVERYTHING HE SAYS?

Here's an example since so many people have their heads squarely up their collective asses.

If BVM was producing in America then left America to produce in a foreign land then BVM would be under that tax IF IT EVEN HAPPPENS. Places like SkyMaster, T-One, Aviation, Fai Bio, etc.... and almost every other manufacturer of all RC products that are actually foreign companies will never see it.

Do you get it now or has the media turned you into a complete mindless sheep?

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 01-23-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM
jetjon

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The guy who started this should look at his own country. By working in retail and shipping MANY things to Canada, they have some of the highest import duties I have ever seen....a lot of Canadians go through Seattle or have US shipping addresses to get around such high fees! Funny to complain about this now!
Old 01-23-2017, 12:27 PM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Originally Posted by FalconWings
we have been at the $10,000 average sport jet for a while now.
I have been flying turbine jets 18 years and I have only bought one ARF kit. I had to go over it so bad that I said I would never buy another one. I have to admit that I am not blessed with the income some of you have, so I decided to scratch build most of my jets. In 18 years, I don't think I have spent more than $6500.00 on any complete jet. Are they Top Gun quality, no, but they have won awards from some of the biggest East Cost rallies that allow jets.

Larry/Instructor
Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

It will make no difference, you just set up a foreign company and produce for less. Use transfer pricing and get favourable tax structures and nothing will be the different.

Your not going to increase US jobs, in the last 30 yrs the US manufacturing output has rising by 200% and employment has dropped from 17 mil to around 12 mil? Output up 200% employment down almost 30%, 5 million jobs lost since 2000. Politics/dem/rep didn't matter it is all down to automation and increasing manufacturing efficiently and of course cheaper OS manufacturing.

More automation will only push the employment number lower in say the next 5 yrs and the shape of the downward curve will only steepen. The US like most countries cannot afford to make anything "in-house" as it is just too expensive and consumers will never stop wanting the cheapest prices.

Look at model forums, everyone want $500 turbines that never need maintenance. Try to stop the market with tariffs and then prices will be too high and the model industry will suffer like all the others.

What is the answer, don't ask me.

Regards,
Old 01-23-2017, 01:16 PM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by Instructor
I have been flying turbine jets 18 years and I have only bought one ARF kit. I had to go over it so bad that I said I would never buy another one. I have to admit that I am not blessed with the income some of you have, so I decided to scratch build most of my jets. In 18 years, I don't think I have spent more than $6500.00 on any complete jet. Are they Top Gun quality, no, but they have won awards from some of the biggest East Cost rallies that allow jets.

Larry/Instructor
Larry, try this exercise. Pay yourself $50/75 hr for the time it took you to scratch build your model, and tell me if it gets you to $10K. That's the price a non-builder has to pay, ARF or not.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sc0tt
BVM jets are made in USA ??? Obviously some are still thinking of the old ducted fan days. Very few, like the Ultra Bandit, are still made in the USA. Most of their ARF's have been made in Thailand for years now, beginning with the CARF partnership then to X-treme Composite. The PNP's are all Chinese from what I understand. So the only Made in USA products left are mostly the BVM accessories. My friend just got a BVM 1/5 F-16 PNP and it shipped to him direct from China.
Pretty sure the Ultra Bandit is still 100% built in the USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.