Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maybe Bob should start back up? BVM

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maybe Bob should start back up? BVM

Old 01-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no duty on RC model products imported into Canada. People have kits and such shipped to a US border city because of the highway robbery shipping costs. I live 10 miles from the border. Typically, we can save 400-500% in shipping costs by picking it up ourselves and clearing it at customs. But we do have to pay the provincial and federal taxes on the items (Ontario is 13%).
Old 01-23-2017, 04:23 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

The cost of shipping SM has now caused me to back out a project I was wanting to get. My pockets are not deep enough to pay 1500 for shipping. I like the container idea since a few hundred is more logical to my mind. Would nice to see things at such a high cost like this not cost sooo much for shipping
Old 01-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
The cost of shipping SM has now caused me to back out a project I was wanting to get. My pockets are not deep enough to pay 1500 for shipping. I like the container idea since a few hundred is more logical to my mind. Would nice to see things at such a high cost like this not cost sooo much for shipping
Order it from https://www.pacificrcjet.com/ if it's a Skymaster product. They aren't charging $1500 for shipping.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luge_racer
Please stop it with the politics. We get enough of it on facebook, television, the newspaper, etc.
Right - let's not discuss politics. Let's talk about religion...
Old 01-23-2017, 06:17 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Pretty sure the Ultra Bandit is still 100% built in the USA.
That's what I said in my original post...

Originally Posted by sc0tt
BVM jets are made in USA ??? Obviously some are still thinking of the old ducted fan days. Very few, like the Ultra Bandit, are still made in the USA. Most of their ARF's have been made in Thailand for years now, beginning with the CARF partnership then to X-treme Composite. The PNP's are all Chinese from what I understand. So the only Made in USA products left are mostly the BVM accessories. My friend just got a BVM 1/5 F-16 PNP and it shipped to him direct from China.
For those freaking out over what our models may eventually cost - keep in mind this a hobby not a necessity. As with everything in life, some can afford it, some cannot and others find their own way to make it happen and deal with it....
Old 01-23-2017, 06:26 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Order it from https://www.pacificrcjet.com/ if it's a Skymaster product. They aren't charging $1500 for shipping.
Yeah I talked to Derik about ordering it, container shipping is probably the way I will be going in the future. Due to wait times I'm going to hold off till I get back from a deployment coming this year.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Yeah I talked to Derik about ordering it, container shipping is probably the way I will be going in the future. Due to wait times I'm going to hold off till I get back from a deployment coming this year.
Keith, I went the container route with my SM F-4E. I ordered it during my deployment and it arrived about 8 months later a few weeks before my arrival. I was in no hurry, so the container route worked perfectly for me even with the Chinese New Year delays. I would have backed out of a $1500 shipping charge, too!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:19 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by CobraJet
Keith, I went the container route with my SM F-4E. I ordered it during my deployment and it arrived about 8 months later a few weeks before my arrival. I was in no hurry, so the container route worked perfectly for me even with the Chinese New Year delays. I would have backed out of a $1500 shipping charge, too!
yeah I recently found out I will deploy one more time before retiring so I will most likely place an order in the same manner. After returning I will only have a few months before I'm signing out for civilian life, going to need some build therapy adjusting to civilian life more than likely.

Last edited by FenderBean; 01-23-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:40 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

yeah I recently found out I will deploy one more time before retiring so I will most likely place an order in the same manner. After returning I will only have a few months before I'm signing out for civilian life, going to need some build therapy adjusting to civilian life more than likely.
Another reason why you won't need the kit right away....redeployment, decompressing, as I like to call it, and catching up back home will probably delay the start of that project anyway. Hope your next (and last) deployment goes quick for you...
Old 01-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Halcyon66
It will make no difference, you just set up a foreign company and produce for less. Use transfer pricing and get favourable tax structures and nothing will be the different.

Your not going to increase US jobs, in the last 30 yrs the US manufacturing output has rising by 200% and employment has dropped from 17 mil to around 12 mil? Output up 200% employment down almost 30%, 5 million jobs lost since 2000. Politics/dem/rep didn't matter it is all down to automation and increasing manufacturing efficiently and of course cheaper OS manufacturing.

More automation will only push the employment number lower in say the next 5 yrs and the shape of the downward curve will only steepen. The US like most countries cannot afford to make anything "in-house" as it is just too expensive and consumers will never stop wanting the cheapest prices.

Look at model forums, everyone want $500 turbines that never need maintenance. Try to stop the market with tariffs and then prices will be too high and the model industry will suffer like all the others.

What is the answer, don't ask me.

Regards,
Amen brother.....
Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some large SM planes and have never paid close to $1500 for shipping. In fact, I have two new kits ordered and the shipping price was not even close to that.

Last edited by dubd; 01-23-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:24 AM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

If I lived in the US I would be more worried about having a job than being able to fly RC jets.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ome-expendable

They are coming for us all :-)

Regards,
Old 01-24-2017, 04:27 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There was another thread were someone ordered a SM from them and were quoted $1500, but Dirk stated it was a website error, then it went pretty much fecally from there. So they are truly charging $1500 shipping?

IMO, these are still chinese ARFs made by low wage laborers. Supplier should eat the shipping cost. ;-)
Old 01-24-2017, 06:05 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Still a good time and more reason to support MADE IN THE USA.
It would be great to see a quality scale model plane manufacturer grow and flourish here.
That'll never happen bc 90% of the people in the hobby complain about the cost of Everything!
Old 01-24-2017, 06:17 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by invertmast
That'll never happen bc 90% of the people in the hobby complain about the cost of Everything!
That's because the top 10% controls everything.

j/k

Now back to religion........
Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Stumbled on this thread and got a good chuckle. Sheeiiittt boys I can remember sitting around the flying fields talking about fast jets and tig bitty women. Debate is good but HOT DAMN let's focus on the stuff we can control.......like the amount of JetA we're gonna burn once we push away from the puter keyboard. I used to tell the neighborhood kids.....turn off that damn video game........and GO PLAY OUTSIDE. Who's with me? All right all right all riiiiiiiight.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Preach on brother Buck!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:06 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by dubd
I have some large SM planes and have never paid close to $1500 for shipping. In fact, I have two new kits ordered and the shipping price was not even close to that.
If you order one the larger models like the F-14 or F-18 your going to pay 1400 plus for shipping due to the new increased shipping. I was told this so I backed out on ordering, not sure how long ago you ordered but this was within the last few months, the last order I place shipping was 1k+ but that was 2014.
If my memory serves me it was an increase from DHL not just SM charging more.

Last edited by FenderBean; 01-24-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:24 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I think It was the same thing for me. 1400+ for direct shipping on the skymaster F18.

Container/greyhound = about $120.00 but.... you need to be patient.

If you order one the larger models like the F-14 or F-18 your going to pay 1400 plus for shipping due to the new increased shipping. I was told this so I backed out on ordering, not sure how long ago you ordered but this was within the last few months, the last order I place shipping was 1k+ but that was 2014.
If my memory serves me it was an increase from DHL not just SM charging more.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
Stumbled on this thread and got a good chuckle. Sheeiiittt boys I can remember sitting around the flying fields talking about fast jets and tig bitty women. Debate is good but HOT DAMN let's focus on the stuff we can control.......like the amount of JetA we're gonna burn once we push away from the puter keyboard. I used to tell the neighborhood kids.....turn off that damn video game........and GO PLAY OUTSIDE. Who's with me? All right all right all riiiiiiiight.
Those are pretty big words coming from a guy who skipped an absolutely beautiful day of flying last weekend because his nose was a little stopped up!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:19 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by gunradd
I think It was the same thing for me. 1400+ for direct shipping on the skymaster F18.

Container/greyhound = about $120.00 but.... you need to be patient.
Yelp 120+ is worth the wait for me, I can't really do much of anything till after I'm back from the deployment. I talked Derik back before the holidays about the container shipping which is why I decided not to place my order. Higher cost directly from SM was the reason I started looking into alternatives.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Desertlakesflying

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
All that white global warming that fell over the last couple weeks is still on the ground around here. Can't even get to the field right now.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Desertlakesflying

Be safe Fender, and get back in one piece.

I was Navy in the 90's. Easy deployments back then.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:33 PM
FenderBean

Be safe Fender, and get back in one piece.

I was Navy in the 90's. Easy deployments back then.
I still have some months before I head out, thanks for your thoughts. One more rodeo before I hand over the torch.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

BV has A LOT of kits that are made right there in florida!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.