Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Large Viper.....SM or FB?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: Which Viper?
Skymaster 2.6M
66.67%
Fei Bao 2.5M
33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Large Viper.....SM or FB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Viper.....SM or FB?

Looking at getting a large Viper. Anyone have any opionions on either of these models? I know there are others out there but I want to give Global Jet the sale. So what do you guys think? Skymaster or Fei Bao?
Old 02-08-2017, 01:33 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

FB qyality is simply the best. I have built 2 Dolphin L. Paint, formers, glue joints all outstanding. I havent had to reengineer anything.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:47 PM
IFlyEm35

FenderBean, you built both, correct? What are your thoughts?

One thing I am really interested in is overall strength. I am looking for the best "sport" jet between the two.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I haven't flown a FB to make a comment in that area, but yes I have built both. In my opinion the glue joints are typical to all ARFs from that region, so I don't agree with the above statement. That is just my opinion, I had to clean out the normal gobs of extra epoxy on both. The FB is heavier but that's do to layup materials, the wings seem to be stiffer and just in general the whole jet is. I don't think the SM is any less capable but I do think it has a slower top flight envelope than the FB, but I think the SM will land slower before stalling. I do like the FB hinging on the control surfaces except the flaps, I don't like the design on the flaps. I like the scale look more on the SM, the cockpits and bottom antenna stand out to me. The FB does have some areas I like over the SM for lights and the functional speed brakes(FB could have done a better job on them due to the design not worth using in my opinion). The FB has a molded area for lights in the wings and one on the top aft part of the rudder, but you can make the SM look just as good with a little design work for the wing lights. Cockpits are close, the shape of the SM looks better to me and are easier to mount, I did like the actual instrument panels on the FB better. SM has the worst looking cockpits I have ever seen, which is mind blowing to me considering how much they cost. The SM instrument panels are waay to heavy and poorly done, I shave the thickness down on them since its just added weight for no reason. The landing gear on the FB is heavier as well and the shocks are a bit stiff, I like the SM gear better due to the look and weight. If I had to buy again I would probably still go with the SM due to lower weight, lighter the better in my opinion. If it will fly like I want without worry of being not sturdy enough I tend to go that way. The FB has one large heavy duty(kevlar) tank that makes equipment install a bit harder and the SM has two smaller tanks(fiber glass). I don't think you can go wrong with either, just comes down to your thoughts about what you want. You may want to check around on who to order from last I was told GJC lost some manufactures, could be wrong I haven't tried to get anything since GA jets last year which is when i was told that. Cheers and good luck

Last edited by FenderBean; 02-08-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:08 PM
IFlyEm35

You think the FB will have a better top end durability or about the same. I definitely want to be able to hit 200 without working about it parting itself out.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:16 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by IFlyEm35
You think the FB will have a better top end durability or about the same. I definitely want to be able to hit 200 without working about it parting itself out.
just a guess based material stiffness, yes but that doesn't always determine how fast something will hold up. I have seen the smaller FB vipers go crazy fast and not explode, all of the 2.5m vipers i have seen were normally flown about the same. I'm sure someone will chime in that has flown both, I don't think this jet can be compared to a true sport jet like a bandit or rebel. I think if you tried to fly it like a bandit both would not handle the Gs and if you tried to slow fly it like a rebel both would stall out.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:15 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

My Dolphin L does 199 with a Rhino. Yeah I know 199 ...but it was measured with airspeed telemetry. No problems .

Want FB...call Eric Clapp. Has better prices and service.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

Go all in....Paritech Viper XXL!!! Hehe......
Old 02-09-2017, 10:13 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Fender. . .not sure when you built the FB jets Viper but I suspect it was some time ago. FB now employs a total Airex construction in most all of their jet models. The Viper is included. They also laminate real plywood with real carbon fiber all bulkheads, turbine mounting plates and gear mounts. Their landing gear is engineered to be "soft" designed to compress and cushion the landing. Their pneumatic and electric gear perform very, very well. If I sound biased. . .well, I am as I am a dealer who sells FB jet models to a solid customer base. I sell Skymaster as well. Skymaster has been a leader in the industry for many years. Their landing gear (LiKai) is excellent.

Here is a picture of FB jets current production for review:

No "glue gobs" here. . . .

Cheers,
Eric
Old 02-09-2017, 11:55 AM
FenderBean

I built the viper in 2016, my build is on RCU. I do understand you wanting to post since your a dealer but this was what I saw in the building of these two jets. I always give honest opinions, I didn't mention a lot of other things which are common on both kit to keep things short. All the bulkhead in very open areas like the picture you posted did have clean glue joints but that's not the places im talking about. I weighed them both and the FB is heavier which is a bit smaller than the SM. (90.5 vs 95in long and 98.5 vs 102in ws) Im not saying one is better than the other it's just heavier than the SM. If they have changed something in the last year or so then great. Hope this helps

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...per-build.html

Last edited by FenderBean; 02-09-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Harvey Mushman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where to get a good cockpit kit for the SM Viper 2.6M (besides from SM)?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:13 PM
rcflier53
My Feedback: (7)

I have a FB 2.5m Viper. Easy to build and flies awesome! My buddy who's a big time scale jet builder/flier, said it flew the same as the big SM Vipers he's maidened for people.

I've read there were some paint issues with SM, but I had some paint issues with my FB too. FB customer service has been A+ to me. I was missing a couple of things and I had them within a week from the factory to my door. Emails were responded to very quickly too.

The FB Viper is bigger than the stats they have posted on it. It's actually about 98" long from nose to rear of rudder at the top and 101" w/s. That was measured when it was set up in the CG rig I have with the lasers and levels.

Either way, I think you'll be happy with the quality and flight characteristics of both. Fenderbean is the man to ask if you build either one. His FB build log was pure gold for me! Thanks again for that Fenderbean!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Harvey Mushman

I already have the SM Viper 2.6M so FB is not an option (unless it has better cockpit detail and will fit the SM without major mods, then I would buy only the cockpit from FB). So I am looking to see if there are any cockpit manufacturers that make an upgraded detailed cockpit for the SM 2.6M Viper. I have made them in the past and can custom make one for my Viper, however if someone already makes them I'd rather buy it.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:45 AM
FenderBean

FB cockpit panels are much better than SMs but the shape of the SM is better. Both are very brittle and crack super easy but its no secret SM has some of the worst cockpits around.
Its much harder to get items from SM since the out source the cockpits.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:39 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Randomly looking through threads and don't have either plane (though I had a 2M sm vj).

What Keith said about sm cockpits is spot on. I have their F4 and decided to glass it with 6oz cloth. Sanding it and then classing it was difficult as it was THAT brittle. Just crazy awful

Dave
Old 08-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Harvey Mushman

Building a cockpit from scratch sounds like my best option. I can carefully sand and glass the thin and brittle vacuum formed shells to strengthen them, but that doesn't fix the poorly done instruments and panels.
However, I can do the glassing thing for now to at least have something in the cockpit until I have time to scratch build one. Thanks guys for your input and let me know if run across anyone making the cockpits.