Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Smoke Oil Clean Up

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Smoke Oil Clean Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:42 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Smoke Oil Clean Up

So, I forgot to install the plug after filling up the smoke oil tank on my Ultra Flash, and managed to empty half of the contents into the fuselage during the flight, covering everything in smoke oil.

I've stripped out the fuselage and in the process of wiping everything down, but the ECU and gear controller got a thorough washing in oil.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an electronics safe de-greaser than I can use to wash these items in to get rid of the oil. Trying to avoid breaking the warranty seals on the boxes and opening them up to wipe them down.

Thanks

Paul
Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Soak em in denatured alcohol that should clean the smoke fluid out. It will probably remove any writing on the warranty seals. My flash went into the water, (fresh) no damage but everything was wet. Soaked ecu and rx in alcohol and then allowed to dry, everything worked fine.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Alcohol would be my first choice also. The other option would be electrical contact cleaner. Just test on a small area of the plastic to ensure compatibility. But that will give you a strong jet from a small tube to blast into nooks and crannies. Or you could load some alcohol into an airbrush to blast into tight places. Just make sure you get ALL of the oil and alcohol out of the electronics before you try to apply power.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe try a ziplock bag with rice in it after you rinse it with whatever solution you choose. This will help soak up any moisture in the small areas..
Old 02-09-2017, 08:54 AM
mauryr

Technically, oil doesn't cause any [immediate] problem to electronics, it's just really foul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mineral_Oil_Submerged_Computer_1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	2200347  
Old 02-09-2017, 09:11 AM
raptureboy

You can try corn meal as it absorbs oil pretty well, also corn starch works too. I have had a fuel tank leak inside a balsa fuselage and it worked well to put the receiver etc. in a bag of corn meal
Old 02-09-2017, 09:45 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

You guys are making me hungry with all this food stuff

I also had a T 45 that went into the water ( total lost of the jet ) all the electronics survived, the turbine was washed with alcohol, hours later I sprayed 3&1 oil in it, it run good for may more hours, the electronics also got a shower with alcohol and then left to dry for a day, all of it was used later in different projects without experiencing any problems.