Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Burn bans and rc turbines.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Burn bans and rc turbines.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 04:30 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I just got my waiver at the end of last year and I have not had any resistance to turbines (yet). I got a lot of resistance to 120cc airplanes that I want to fly 3D with though. A lot.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
I just got my waiver at the end of last year and I have not had any resistance to turbines (yet). I got a lot of resistance to 120cc airplanes that I want to fly 3D with though. A lot.
Based on my club not liking the big 3D and IMAC guys either I'm not surprised. The older guys don't like it when they hover over the runway or take up the whole sky with a big plane. The IMAC guys complain they want to practice the routine alone on a busy day which is kind of ridiculous considering there are a lot of people waiting to fly too. Then the guys waiting say they don't want to fly with the IMAC and 3D guys because they catch heck from them in the pits.

Its all pretty stupid and childish...
Old 02-11-2017, 06:05 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the new turbine pilots joining the fray clubs will either resist and call the burn ban card or embrace the new turbine pilots. The foam viper will bring a lot of pilots to the turbine side. And clubs will continue to be divided, scale guys, 3D guys, hellie guys, pattern guys and the Jet guys. It surprises me how club officers will pick one and overly push it to the point the club no longer is inclusive to the left out ones...that's what happened to my club.

TB
Old 02-11-2017, 06:19 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

I have to admit I'm a bit spoiled, the "Cross Flyers" in Poplarville, MS get along just fine. No politics or BS, just a bunch of guys having fun. All disciplines coexist there, good times.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:05 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I've learned over the years while enjoying our hobby all across the country, You don't have to be one of those " prima Donna jet guys sitting at one end of the field " just be a regular dude enjoying the hobby, while sharing the airspace. Bring a prop, foamie electric warbird or a glider to the field. Walk the flight line and bring a bottle of cold water to your neighbor, when he's head down fixing his bird.

Fly with precision and in a non aggressive / threatening profile. I once flew my XL Boomerang with an old airstart Olympus slower than an old timers biplane with .91 four stroke. He stood in amazement with a Cheshire Cat grin when I landed with a shorter rollout. He had never seen a jet fly slow and didn't think it was possible. You only have to turn the opinion of one.

As an aside, get in touch with bob covish or Ronnie dean ( raron ) and get added to the group email / Waco gathering text message. There's usually a gathering monthly and nobody cares what you fly. In the interim fly with the local boys and work to change the mindset, one dude at a time.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:05 PM
AEROSHELDON

We worked through the 3D at my club by just being nice to everyone and getting along, and flying when there was a break in the action. After about a season of us flying responsibly and being courteous to one another they now enjoy our flights and we enjoy theirs. We even fly together with some of them.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:08 PM
yeahbaby

Mike I thought you were on the detail that lost....lol What the hell could you be guarding in poplarville Ms?

Last edited by yeahbaby; 02-11-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:52 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
I've learned over the years while enjoying our hobby all across the country, You don't have to be one of those " prima Donna jet guys sitting at one end of the field " just be a regular dude enjoying the hobby, while sharing the airspace. Bring a prop, foamie electric warbird or a glider to the field. Walk the flight line and bring a bottle of cold water to your neighbor, when he's head down fixing his bird.

Fly with precision and in a non aggressive / threatening profile. I once flew my XL Boomerang with an old airstart Olympus slower than an old timers biplane with .91 four stroke. He stood in amazement with a Cheshire Cat grin when I landed with a shorter rollout. He had never seen a jet fly slow and didn't think it was possible. You only have to turn the opinion of one.

As an aside, get in touch with bob covish or Ronnie dean ( raron ) and get added to the group email / Waco gathering text message. There's usually a gathering monthly and nobody cares what you fly. In the interim fly with the local boys and work to change the mindset, one dude at a time.
I like to visit as many clubs as I can. I belong to the two local ones and have watched many come and go. The general advice given rings true it doesn't mater if your joining or visiting. Remember the status quo has existed for years without you or your new latest and greatest toy. Ease into things let them get used to you, show them you can be trusted to fly with consideration for others and as safely as possible. Don't expect the club to roll over for you. Forcing an issue only builds resistance to change. Even at an established club tolerance and acceptance can be a learning curve so it may take some time and effort on your part. Meeting, showing, convincing and winning over new flyers can be a rewarding challenge.

Dennis
Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 AM
franklin_m

As I read your comment about attitudes among some in the community, with respect to how they fly their planes, there's a club here in Pennsylvania that learned the hard way that how they fly their planes can affect whether they get to fly at all. And being non-threatening goes well beyond the field edge.

http://www.berksmontnews.com/article...NEWS/161219966

Neighbors used zoning as a tool to shut down a very popular jet flying field here in Pennsylvania. After the court heard testimony on the number of off property crashes, high speed overflights, and trespassing (to get wreckage). And the judge wrote in her ruling that "The evidence before the ZHB in this case included concrete accounts of model aircraft repeatedly crashing on adjacent property. There is substantial evidence to support the finding that the operation of these model planes poses a serious threat to persons on adjoining land." But what I feel is a harbinger for the hobby was this statement by the judge: "The record clearly demonstrates that the speed, size and weight of the model airplanes and jets have increased over the past five decades to characteristics where safety needs to be the primary concern." (page 6 of attached ruling)

As this case became public, with respect to how others perceive operations, I came across this comment: "A couple of summers ago I took my young grandson to a publicized jet rally at this field. It was Sunday morning, and a show team was there from a big distributor, flying a pair of A-10's. The song they chose to fly to was "Highway to Hell", and it was played LOUD! The club sits up on a hill and the music drifted into the valleys, probably carrying for some distance. I thought it was a poor choice of music because here in rural Berks County, where I grew up, most still believe in keeping the Sabbath holy, and those less fervent still respect the beliefs of their neighbors. The judge may have cited safety concerns, but I think it was more than that."

What does this have to do with flying when risk of fire is high? It goes to acceptance of risk and perceptions it creates. I spent a lot of years in California, and lived first hand with the danger and results of wildfires. I even ran military wildfire fighting operations out of my base for a couple weeks. I've seen how even a small fire can get out of hand in a hurry, and these can lead to damage on a massive scale, and even result in the loss of life. I can't help but think that it would be bad for the hobby if there was a wildfire that got started by the crash of any model, let alone one flown by an AMA member. With the attention on our hobby, and with court decisions like the one above already able to be searched and found by attorneys, is it worth the risk?

Individuals and clubs will make that risk decision for themselves. But a risk assumed by one can rapidly turn into a risk assumed by all (the hobby writ large) if there is a fire caused by a model aircraft / AMA member that gets badly out of control.

Just my 2c. Here's the ruling in case anyone wants to read the case and factors that led to the closing. (It's a PDF, for some reason displays here as a black box...click on it...it'll open). I've highlighted key statements.

Attached Thumbnails PA Court Ruling RC Field Closed.pdf  

Last edited by franklin_m; 02-12-2017 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Added quote and copy of PA Court Ruling
Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 AM
aehaas

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have around 300 members, 12 with turbine waivers, 6 fly choppers. I only got into this hobby 3 years ago and I fly all of them. All the turbine guys also fly other fuel and electric models. All the heli guys fly airplane models as well. It helps. Helis fly only when all others happen to be off the field, others can wait 3 or 4 minute but often the heli guys fly later in the day when few are at the field. Same for the 3D guys. There will always be a few who grumble but we get along. It helps that I fly scale WWII, electric, gas, 3D, helis and turbines, I get along with about everybody because I talk and associate with them all. It probably helps that I am sort of an old timer myself, 62.

A few years before my time there was a big turbine fire at our grassy field where the fire department had to come out. I think there was some damage to a structure and we ended up paying a repair bill. We then got a 4 wheel ATV with extinguishers and even ended up using it with some LiPo fires, small as there were. We agreed not to fly if the KBDI index got above 500, not a bad rule as we have tall grass for our flying area. It is only cut short around our 500 foot paved runway. I see the level is 0-100 in Austin, TX. We are at 550 or more here in Sarasota, FL (http://currentweather.freshfromflori.../kbdi_4km.html). In the winter months there is less than 0.5 inches of rain a month, it is very dry unless we have an El Nino. It rains more and we frequently fly all winter. Summers are wet, usually with a KBDI of around 100-300 from May to November.

There is a county club about an hour away with no turbine flying restrictions but their field is more like dirt with only an inch or two of vegetation. They also have a 4 wheeler fire truck and pilots must have a 2 gallon water and one other type of fire extinguisher with them at all times.

Fire protection makes sense. Smart people learn from their mistakes, really smart people learn from the mistakes of others. Be safe.

aehaas
Old 02-12-2017, 10:24 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Hey buck, we have a saying in the service, you elect them and we protect them.

Mainly I'm protecting my sanity in Poplarville, HA!

I plan on going to the MS Afterburner this year, hope to see you there bro!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
I think the field you are talking about is Chatfield. One day I was out there and there were about 4 big 3D pilots out there, they took turns flying one right the other all day long, flying right over the run way right in front of the flight line. There were many other flyers that wanted to fly but but didn't want to fly in the danger Zone of the 3D pilots. Many never did get to fly. What they were doing was not right.
Most people at Chatfield accept the jets, because we fly safely and respect the other pilots. I have been flying jets at Chatfield longer than anyone else that still flys at Chatfield, so I have seen it when the jet guys were acting like a bunch of jerks, but none of those guys fly jets any more.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:18 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
...On another thought though, why doesn't your club ban gas engines as well as turbines. It seems like they are just as dangerous in a crash.
I have the same question about my field, I've seen gasoline ignite because its thursday
Old 02-12-2017, 02:49 PM
yeahbaby

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
Hey buck, we have a saying in the service, you elect them and we protect them.

Mainly I'm protecting my sanity in Poplarville, HA!

I plan on going to the MS Afterburner this year, hope to see you there bro!
Good deal brother!
Old 02-12-2017, 06:17 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

My local club (Fort Worth Thunderbirds) had a turbine burn ban prohibition until last year when I asked them to reconsider based on other clubs in the vicinity not implementing one and the fire-marshal's accidental fire interpretation, and they agreed based upon the reliability and infrequency of turbine crashes and the requirement to have water fire fighting equipment available.

I'm lucky to have a very progressive and open club locally, with at least 6 active turbine fliers, and also ready access to Waco, probably the best jet field/ club in Texas.

Paul
Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 PM
TonyBuilder

So here is a great example of the disconnect from the club leadership and the actual pilots that fly turbines and have wavers. The president of my club who is insisting on the turbine ban during a burn ban (for safety) posts on the clubs FB page announcing their Jet event (official flyer and all) that they want to see how fast the jet jockeys can go and offered up a cash reward and challenge to the fastest jet "how fast can you go" chalange!

So a former member and a jet turbine waver holder informs him that there is a 200mph limit and it is for safety, and he may want to reconsider this as any waver holder braking this rule can loos his waver if he breaks this rule, not to mention being liable if something were to go wrong. He brushes him off saying it's not an official race but just for fun at the official sanctioned event...ok!

The turbine ban during a burn ban is enforced for safety, but during a sanctioned event rules can be disregarded and shrugged off as "this is for fun"

well I personally know that no pilots I fly with will disregard rules so easily...not even for a cash prize to entertain a crowd at a club sanctioned event. We as turbine pilots take what we do very seriously as far as safety goes and never comprise that for any reason.

Just showes how out of touch a clubs leadership can be when it comes to turbine jets.

And if your going to implement policy for safety when it comes to turbines at least know the rules and have some knolage of turbines!

TB

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 02-12-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:27 PM
AEROSHELDON

Originally Posted by aquaskiman
I think the field you are talking about is Chatfield. One day I was out there and there were about 4 big 3D pilots out there, they took turns flying one right the other all day long, flying right over the run way right in front of the flight line. There were many other flyers that wanted to fly but but didn't want to fly in the danger Zone of the 3D pilots. Many never did get to fly. What they were doing was not right.
Most people at Chatfield accept the jets, because we fly safely and respect the other pilots. I have been flying jets at Chatfield longer than anyone else that still flys at Chatfield, so I have seen it when the jet guys were acting like a bunch of jerks, but none of those guys fly jets any more.
The field that gave resistance was at Cherry Creek.

But when we started at Chatfield there was resistance probably due to some of the dudes you are talking about. But I do fly at Chatfield and I am part of the "go along to get along" crowd and there are 3-4 of us that take turns and fly when it is a dead time and rotate. We try to all fly the big planes at the same time and then chill. We did that and socialized for a couple of years and now they like us. We liked them all along
Old 02-12-2017, 07:49 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
So here is a great example of the disconnect from the club leadership and the actual pilots that fly turbines and have wavers. The president of my club who is insisting on the turbine ban during a burn ban (for safety) posts on the clubs FB page announcing there Jet event (official flyer and all) that they want to see how fast the jet jockeys can go and offered up a cash reward and challenge to the fastest jet "how fast can you go" chalange!

So a former member and a jet turbine waver holder informs him that there is a 200mph limit and it is for safety, and he may want to reconsider this as any waver holder braking this rule can loos his waver if he breaks this rule, not to mention being liable if something were to go wrong. He brushes him off saying it's not an official race but just for fun at the official sanctioned event...ok!

The turbine ban during a burn ban is enforced for safety, but during a sanctioned event rules can be disregarded and shrugged off as "this is for fun"

well I personally know that no pilots I fly with will disregard rules so easily...not even for a cash prize to entertain a crowd at a club sanctioned event. We as turbine pilots take what we do very seriously as far as safety goes and never comprise that for any reason.

Just showes how out of touch a clubs leadership can be when it comes to turbine jets.

And if your going to implement policy for safety when it comes to turbines at least know the rules and have some knolage of turbines!

TB
Hey Tony, It's probably a moot point, I think without participants, it's hard to break any rules... just say'in....

D
Old 02-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Dawn Ellzey

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Tony,

Maybe the new ARCA President should read the turbine rules. Not only do we have the 200 mile limit but rule 21 says:

1. Turbine powered aircraft will not be allowed in any speed or racing events.

Good luck

Dawn
Old 02-12-2017, 07:58 PM
yeahbaby

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
So here is a great example of the disconnect from the club leadership and the actual pilots that fly turbines and have wavers. The president of my club who is insisting on the turbine ban during a burn ban (for safety) posts on the clubs FB page announcing their Jet event (official flyer and all) that they want to see how fast the jet jockeys can go and offered up a cash reward and challenge to the fastest jet "how fast can you go" chalange!

TB
its simple amigo, jet events create revenue. hahaha at the very least you can fly at your home field and maybe take home some $ then turn around and donate it to Waco fire fighter fund LoL.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:02 PM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by Dawn Ellzey
Tony,

Maybe the new ARCA President should read the turbine rules. Not only do we have the 200 mile limit but rule 21 says:

1. Turbine powered aircraft will not be allowed in any speed or racing events.

Good luck

Dawn
That was pointed out to him...and again shrugged off as "just for fun"

TB
Old 02-12-2017, 08:04 PM
TonyBuilder

its simple amigo, jet events create revenue. hahaha at the very least you can fly at your home field and maybe take home some $ then turn around and donate it to Waco fire fighter fund LoL.
use to be my home club, Waco is my home club now as all I fly is turbines...

TB
Old 02-12-2017, 08:08 PM
yeahbaby

I hear ya buddy.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:19 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Last edited by bcovish; 02-14-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:20 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Heart of Texas Miniature Aircraft Club
Waxi Texas
Or HOTMAC as we call it here at home,,best club in the world,
But We are Texans,,,and to a Texan, this is what the world looks like,,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170212_221802.png
Views:	178
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	2200814  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.