Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

"First in Flight" Jet Rally May 24-28 2017

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

"First in Flight" Jet Rally May 24-28 2017

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 07:56 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Yay kentucky jets!!

Last edited by ravill; 03-11-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Jmav7279

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my hobby!

Last edited by Jmav7279; 03-11-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:40 AM
RC Larry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

For all those asking about the big rig from DreamWorks RC. YES!!!!!!
The Big Rig will be On Site again this year!!!!! Better get your shopping list started soon!
Hmmmm,,,,,,,I wonder if one of the local grocery stores would loan out some rolling carts for you guys? That would be pretty funny to see y'all lined up with carts in front of you. lolol

Big thanks to Todd, George and all the DW gang for making it happen!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DW Big Rig.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	2204934  

Last edited by RC Larry-RCU; 03-11-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 AM
ifly3d

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well said Larry !!!!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 12:29 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Hey man I am coming as long as I get to fly in the dark .. just kidding see you there Larry. One of the best events on the east coast.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM
RC Larry-RCU

Kidding??? You aint kidding Jeff!!!!! Ive seen those bright lights of yours at other jet meets. That Hawk could lead Santa through a blizzrd! LOL
Be good to see you again. Hope to see you in SC end of the month. You coming?
Old 03-11-2017, 02:16 PM
RC Larry-RCU

Originally Posted by ravill
Yay kentucky jets!!

Beautiful rides ya got there ravill !!!
One thing though,,,,, That's the Other Lewis your Yay,n !! LOLOL
KY Jets is Lewis Payton. ( June event) Great guy. GREAT event! He's the General,,, I'm just a Captain!!!!!!

I'm the OTHER Lewis! First in Flight, North Carolina event in May. Hey,,,, at least you compared me to someone good. You should hear some of the things and people I get compared to sometimes! It would be awesome to have you make the trek over to the east coast some time. We'd be honored to have the California gang representing!

Last edited by RC Larry-RCU; 03-11-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:27 PM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by RC Larry-RCU
Kidding??? You aint kidding Jeff!!!!! Ive seen those bright lights of yours at other jet meets. That Hawk could lead Santa through a blizzrd! LOL
Be good to see you again. Hope to see you in SC end of the month. You coming?
Hell yea... now that I got my F-16 fixed yes. I hope to see your sweet hawk there.

at least my reindeer is red
Old 03-11-2017, 06:34 PM
ifly3d

Originally Posted by jws_aces
Hell yea... now that I got my F-16 fixed yes. I hope to see your sweet hawk there.

at least my reindeer is red
LOL LOL LOL, and BIG
Old 03-15-2017, 06:07 AM
RC Larry-RCU

Had a few guys call and ask for hotel info. Lots of hotels located close by event. Just click on the link below to direct you to many of them.

For Hotel Information,
https://www.google.com/search?q=hote...E,lf:1,lf_ui:6
Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
RC Larry-RCU

Pilots,
First in Flight has always made every effort to provide a fun, entertaining, and more importantly SAFE event for both pilots and spectators. It has been our goal in past events to promote ourselves in a professional manner to both the public and to you the pilots that support our event. Year after year you guys have proven to all that we are a very responsible segment in this organization and take this hobby very seriously. Even better, you guys have shown the airport and the AMA that we take safety, regulations, and standards put to us very personal and serious. Some of you may remember that First in Flight had a strong presence from AMA at our 2015 event. It was our goal to show AMA just how safe jet events can be. Our JPO president Bob Klenke and AMA president met that weekend at FIF for discussions and to allow AMA to personally observe an event being held. I’m sure Bob would be happy to elaborate on the results of that meeting, but I can tell you it went very well! Something I think all of us should be proud of, and certainly good for our segment.
So you may ask, why post this and what is it leading to? So here goes! At last year’s event and again leading to this year’s event, the topic of Large Jets has been put to our staff by other jet pilots and we have been asked “Are you guys checking to see who is complying with LTMA and who is not”? The honest answer was no! I believe like many other events, we have relied on the modeler to do what was required and we left that between the pilots and AMA. This year however we plan to take a different approach to the matter. We will be checking to see who does or does not have their plane certified. But, we are going to make every effort to turn this into a POSITIVE process. By Positive, I mean we want to present this to you guys in a way that makes it a convenience for both you and other event directors in the coming year.

Now,,,,before anyone gets the wrong idea or thinks we don’t want the larger models at FIF, let’s get THIS on the table. When it comes to Big Ass Jets,,,,, Spectators Love’m,,, Pilots Love’m, and by all means, First in Flight Loves’m!!!!!!! So the word is, BRING’M!!!!!!!!!!!

So here is the plan. We are fortunate enough to have two very knowledgeable and respected pilots on our FIF staff. Those members being Joe Rafalowski and Josh Bunn. Both have an extensive history with inspections and certifications of large model aircraft. During our event, these staff members will make themselves available to all of those needing to acquire an LTMA cert, and will make every effort to assist you in getting your required LTMA certification should you need it. Reviewing the list on AMA’s website shows a great number of you have already taken the required steps and have your ducks in a row already!
Again guys, this is not intended to be a block wall for those not having your certification. Our goal is to get YOU where YOU need to be. Yes,,,,,,, and it’ll cover my butt a little to!!!! It’s really a simple process, but does require some detailed attention. But we’ll have everything you need on site to make it happen.

In the following two post Joe explains how the process will take place…..

And thanks to all of you for helping us to keep it right, and keep it fun.

Last edited by RC Larry-RCU; 03-20-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
RC Larry-RCU

Guys, as you all know Wilson and the people who run the airport have been very good to our jet flying community. They have encouraged our expansion and protected the event from local opposition.
We have to be proactive in turn, and protect the airport, city, and event organizers by making sure we are all in compliance with current AMA and FAA rules.
With the number of large jets being built and flown, at registration check in we will ask if any of your jets that you intend to fly at the event weigh more than 55lbs wet (ready to take off). This is actual aircraft weight and not the manufacturers’ advertised weight. If you don’t know the weight we will provide a calibrated scale. If you intend to fly a jet weighing more than 55lbs, we will ask to see your LTMA permit for each plane. We will also have the most current AMA printout for those who might forget their paperwork.
Please understand that this is not a witch hunt. If you state your jets weigh less than 55lbs, your registration process is complete. Also understand that there are many examples of jets currently registered under LTMA that can easily be crosschecked.
Now, for those who want to bring their jets into compliance, we will have LMAI people at the event who have agreed to help get through the process as easily as possible. We do ask that those who want to get LTMA permits, print out and review http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/520-a.pdf

Document 520 contains all the paperwork required to complete the process for LTMA1, LTMA2 and foreign participants.

In the next post we will talk a little more about the program how we will handle permitting requests at FIF.

Last edited by RC Larry-RCU; 03-20-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 AM
RC Larry-RCU

For Jets weighing between 55lbs and 77.2lbs wet, the LTMA 1 permitting process is pretty easy to accomplish. The jet is inspected and certified by the owner and a temporary permit to fly is also issued by the owner. The plane is then flown twice in front of either one LMAI (inspector) or 2 CD’s. Paperwork is then signed and sent off to the AMA. The permit to fly is good from the time of the sign off for 1 year.
LTMA 2 is required for planes weighing more than 77.2lbs wet. It requires a LMAI inspection and is more involved in verifying components are installed correctly. It also requires LMAI flight observation.
LTMA permitted jets are allowed higher thrust levels than those under 55lbs. LTMA 1 jets are allowed to have a max installed thrust equal to the takeoff weight of the plane plus 5lbs or 75lbs whichever is less. LTMA 2 jets have the same thrust restriction a LTMA 1 up to 90lbs maximum.
LTMA 1 jets can operate up to 200mph. LTMA 2 are restricted to 140mph.

The rules for foreign flyers is addressed in the AMA document (link above post). Basically it allows self certification and issuance of a permit to fly while at FIF. It does require that 3 flights be accomplished at home, prior to the event as part of the self certification.

We will be asking those who are doing the observation flights to fly during low activity times (early in the event and early in the morning).

Last edited by RC Larry-RCU; 03-20-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Guys,
I want to chime in here and add my support to Larry and Joe for this effort. Not only as JPO President, but as an AMA member. Regardless of your opinions on the AMA vs. FAA issue, you have to realize that the AMA has spent a great deal of time and effort convincing the FAA to stay out of the business of regulating hobby model aviation. They have been successful in that effort because they convinced the FAA that the AMA Safety Code has kept model aviation safe for over 80 years and that we, as AMA members, FOLLOW THE SAFETY CODE. Now is the time for us, as AMA members, to keep up our part of the process.

We all know Larry and Joe and what great guys they are, and how supportive they have been of the hobby. These guys put A LOT of time and effort into making great places and events for us to fly our jets. We need to support them by following the code so that they, and the site owners that they have convinced to host our events, are covered in case of an accident.

As Larry and Joe mentioned, the process is not hard – especially if your jet is less than 77.2 lbs – which most of the “big” jets are. As an added benefit, if your jet is over 55 lbs and your certified, you get to use the bigger engines – installed static thrust up to wet weight plus 5 lbs, where the “little guys” under 55 lbs are limited to 50 lbs thrust.

The FAA has put the exemption for regulation of hobby model aircraft into its regulations in FAR Part 101.41. However, in order to be covered under this exemption, we must follow the following provisions:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

That means that not only does the AMA Safety Code (and potentially AMA’s liability insurance coverage) require certification of model aircraft over 55 lbs, but so does this FAR (which carries the weight of law).

There is no reason for us to not get this certification done for our big models. Kudos to guys like Scott Marr, Pablo Fernandez, Steve Stricker, Greg Hames, Dan Avilla, Greg Wright, Ali Machinchy, Jeff Stubbs, and many others who have gotten their big jets certified. There are over 40 big jet aircraft on the AMA’s “Permit to fly” list for Large Model Aircraft – almost half of the total number of aircraft on the list. We all know that the jet hobby and jet modelers lead the way in many aspects of the hobby. Let’s lead the way in getting into compliance with the AMA Large Model Aircraft certification process.

Bob Klenke
JPO President
Serving the Jet Community

Ps. If you have *any* comments about the jet hobby and how the JPO can better support it, please come see me at FIF – I’ll be in the tent with the big JPO banner out front.

Last edited by rhklenke; 03-20-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Kudos Larry,

Thanks for your leadership on this topic. I support you 100% and think this is the direction we must go as our aircraft get larger and heavier.

If we want to keep our hobby/sport as it now exists, we must follow the rules/law. I have two LTMA jets and have signed off on others as observing CD. I did not have to ask at the small meets I CD'd because I signed off on the large aircraft there.

I will arrive Tuesday if plans don't change. I will volunteer to help your staff in anyway to assist anyone who needs to get the LTMA permit onsite. I have certified scales for use if needed. Feel free to ask any time.

Thanks again for setting the safe direction for FIF.

Gary Jones
Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 PM
RC Larry-RCU

Thanks Gary. Its great to see the positive feedback from you guys. Ive already received several PMs from guys that attend this event regularly with similar comments. A couple of them who will in fact be getting their models inspected to get the LTMA paperwork done for their models. We're excited to be doing something that'll help us all. See you in a couple of weeks for the SC meet. We're ready to drill holes in the South Kackalacky skies with y'all. So far we have 8 of the FIF gang headed that way.

Last edited by RC Larry-RCU; 03-20-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:37 AM
joeraf
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LTMA Program and FAA Registration

A benefit of permitting large jets under the LTMA is that your FAA registration number applies to your big planes. This was confirmed by the Government Affairs desk at the AMA. I know that at least one FSDO is putting out the same information, which validates the AMA statement.

Planes over 55lbs not being operated under AMA rules require separate FAA registration numbers.

Before we got clarity on this, those who went through the separate registration process report not only a paperwork nightmare, but also state tax exposure.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:08 PM
RC Larry-RCU

For Hotel Information,
https://www.google.com/search?q=hote...E,lf:1,lf_ui:6

Tent Rental Information.

20X20 $300.00
w/sides $365.00

30X30 $475.00
w/sides $580.00

Specify clear or white sidewalls in request

8 Foot tables. $10.00 ea
42" Fan $25.00 ea
RV Camping $10.00 per night
Vendor Slot $100.00 ( Vendors Only)
Award Sponsor $100.00 w
orking on reducing cost cost

Simple process to place order. Look at list and prices. Email, Text or call in your order to me. I will send you a Paypal invoice and WahLah!!!

All Tent Orders need to be in not later than May 16th. [SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

[email protected]
919-215-3946

Last edited by RC Larry-RCU; 04-16-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:11 PM
RC Larry-RCU

First in Flight wants to thank Jose and our friends at
Jet Central. They have just donated one of their awesome Jet Central Turbines to the event!!!!
It just keeps getting better!!!!!

Last edited by RC Larry-RCU; 03-23-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:31 PM
ifly3d

can't wait. Hey Jeff stubbs you coming to south carolina event next week end.

Josh
Old 03-23-2017, 04:28 PM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by ifly3d
can't wait. Hey Jeff stubbs you coming to south carolina event next week end.

Josh
Oh yea I am coming down.

Jeff
Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 AM
RC Larry-RCU

"First in Flight" Jet Rally is proud to announce the following as Sponsors for the 2017 event! Check out some of these great prizes and awards they are graciously donating to our event.

Fly Eagle Jets
4 or more Airframes, Electronics, Light systems and more!
Products and Awards

http://www.flyeaglejet.com/

Jet Central
Jet Central Turbine!! and award
https://sites.google.com/site/jetcentralus/

Boomerang RC Jets
An awesome Boomerang Elan & Award
http://www.boomerang-rc-jets.com/

Nirly Built Models
Award

A&E Jets
Award & TBA

JetCat Americas
Award

http://www.jetcatamericas.com/

Jackie Sacks Wing Bags
Award
www.jackisacks.com

Tar Heel RC Flyers
Award

Hobby Hanger
Award

Jet Pilots Organization
Award

City of Wilson
Event Sponsor and award
https://www.wilsonnc.org/

Wilson Industrial Air Center
Event Sponsor

Awards: Sponsored By:

Wright Stuff Award
............... First in Flight Staff

Concourse d'Elegance.......... City Of Wilson
Best Finish...............................Jet Central
Technical Achievement......... Jet Cat Americas
Best Military............................Fly Eagle Jets
Best Military Performance.....Tar Heel RC Flyers
Best Sport................................Jackie Sacks Wing Bags
Best Sport Performance.........Nirly Built Models
Best Civilian.............................
Hobby Hanger
Fellowship Award................... A & E Jets
Top Gun Award ...................... Jet Pilots Org

Would YOU like to be a part of sponsoring First In Flight Jet Rally? Well,,,, here's your chance.
If you would like to sponsor First in Flight at any level of sponsorship we'd love to have you jump on board.

Just email:
[email protected]
or call 919-215-3946

First in Flight would like to thank all those who have graciously offered to sponsor this years event.

Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 AM
rhklenke

The JPO Top Gun Trophy has been ordered and I'll be bringing it down with me on Wednesday. Looking forward to it - can't wait!

Bob
Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Hopefully some day I can attend this event, hoping to retire to NC and fly with the airlines im guess that will help. I wanted to bring something up about the LTMA cert. This process isn't the easy if done per AMA guidelines, which I think is why a lot of people don't bother. Since AMA is going to be there with some JPO reps it might be a good time to review the process and stream line it. Having to inspect the model and fly in the same day is a bit much since the model may need to be taken apart to inspect per AMA. I also think they need to extend the time, redoing this every year is also a big pain, maybe every two or every three years unless modification or some type of damage occurs causing repairs. Lastly the forms, the forms are confusing and need updating to current types of things in current models. Having a set of forms just for Jets would be great and less confusing. Just a thought, since me and Rex went through this last year and said it needed some updating. Cheers good luck with the event.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:39 AM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Hopefully some day I can attend this event, hoping to retire to NC and fly with the airlines im guess that will help. I wanted to bring something up about the LTMA cert. This process isn't the easy if done per AMA guidelines, which I think is why a lot of people don't bother. Since AMA is going to be there with some JPO reps it might be a good time to review the process and stream line it. Having to inspect the model and fly in the same day is a bit much since the model may need to be taken apart to inspect per AMA. I also think they need to extend the time, redoing this every year is also a big pain, maybe every two or every three years unless modification or some type of damage occurs causing repairs. Lastly the forms, the forms are confusing and need updating to current types of things in current models. Having a set of forms just for Jets would be great and less confusing. Just a thought, since me and Rex went through this last year and said it needed some updating. Cheers good luck with the event.
Keith,

Points very well taken. The AMA undertook an effort to streamline the LMA process (and forms) last year. I know that the committee finished their work, but I don't know the status within the AMA. I will get into that and find out.

If the inspector is familiar with jet aircraft, then the process is not, or should not be, onerous. That is why the opportunity at FIF is a good thing - Joe and Josh know their stuff and I'm sure that they will make it as quick and painless as possible. I urge everyone with jets over 55 lbs to take advantage of the opportunity - to put it aside because its inconvenient puts you, the owner/pilot at risk as well as everyone else and I just don't think its worth the tradeoff...

Bob Klenke
JPO President

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.