Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spectrum Recall

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spectrum Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:55 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
Problem is that you are comparing $3000.00 radio with $1000.00 And by the way the 18MZ is hopelessly obsolete, there is nothing exciting (very disturbing) in Futaba world. They could not even come up with basic powersafe receiver (remember R7018Sb), just give us at least 14 channel High Voltage receiver.
What about integration, telemetry, custom assignability, wireless programming, integration with ECUs, Turbine Fuel flow sensors... there is nothing and we know there is nothing in pipeline. We used to get questions about 18MZ, for last 18 months not a single phone call.

Basic Jeti DS-14 for $700.00 will do 10x more, and I did not even mentioned the Horus for $500.00. I keep my fingers cross that we will see something new, maybe one day.
Actually the real problem is you continue to bash other manufacturers as you promote your own brand. I was planning on replacing my 18MZ with a Jeti 24, but I can't stand your attitude, so I may not. I know of at least half a dozen local jet pilots who were interested in the Jeti radio, but have been turned off by you.

My comparison was based on 4 DX18s that had to be returned because of screen failures. That shouldn't happen to any radio regardless of cost.

Last edited by dubd; 03-04-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd
Actually the real problem is you can't stop bashing other manufacturers. I was planning on replacing my 18MZ with a Jeti 24, but I can't stand your attitude, so I may not. I know of at least half a dozen local jet pilots who were interested in the Jeti radio, but have been turned off by you.

My comparison was based on DX18s that had screen failures. That shouldn't happen to any radio regardless of cost.
+1
Old 03-04-2017, 08:32 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Problem is that you are comparing $3000.00 radio with $1000.00 And by the way the 18MZ is hopelessly obsolete, there is nothing exciting (very disturbing) in Futaba world. They could not even come up with basic powersafe receiver (remember R7018Sb), just give us at least 14 channel High Voltage receiver.
What about integration, telemetry, custom assignability, wireless programming, integration with ECUs, Turbine Fuel flow sensors... there is nothing and we know there is nothing in pipeline. We used to get questions about 18MZ, for last 18 months not a single phone call.

Basic Jeti DS-14 for $700.00 will do 10x more, and I did not even mentioned the Horus for $500.00. I keep my fingers cross that we will see something new, maybe one day.

Ahhhhhhh!

I was about to post; " I am surprised that Jeti USA has not chimed in here yet to place their product "
Everywhere there is a sh*** smell they pop up like a bunch of vultures. Well done guys, you keep up to my expectations.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:16 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+2. I was taught to never ever burn a bridge, but I doubt I'd ever buy a Jeti just because of what goes on in here...
Old 03-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There's nothing like a little bit of "DRAMA" to go with your Sunday Morning coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2017, 05:22 AM
luv2flyrc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not defending the bashing of other brands and I have no personal connection to ZB but, I understand his "enthusiasm". He does have the best product on the market in Jeti by a wide margin and it must be difficult/frustrating to understand why more people don't "get it" and continue to put themselves through grief with Spektrum.

Without his efforts (Esprit has done all the FCC work and absorbed the cost) North Americans would not have the choice of using the best system available. You have to give him credit for that so, for those efforts, I support him.

Mike
Old 03-05-2017, 06:18 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have to agree, Jeti stuff is top of the line. Jeti USA could use a bit more tact in the way he presents himself, but you can't argue that he isn't right.

As for the original conversation, none of this surprises me. I got into RC just as the 2.4ghz protocol hit the market. I watched the countless threads come and go about random Spektrum failures. I saw the warnings not to use the 4.8v battery that Spektrum shipped with their earliest systems. I saw Spektrum's announcement that they had reduced the brownout reboot time from 4 seconds to 1.5 to try and get fewer complaints about lost models. I saw the replacement of the DX6 with the DX6i due to reliability problems, then the recall of the DX6i due to reliability problems (failing gimbal pots) and then the continued failure of gimbal pots on post-recall radios, two of which I experienced myself. The DX7 was a solid performer from what I saw, but there was still the occasional unexplained crash or lost bind error. The DX9 brought another flood of threads about unexplained failures. Sure, some of them are probably switch or wiring or servo failures, but it seems odd to me that you hardly ever hear of Futaba users having switch or wiring or servo failures in their planes. I guess users of all other brands are better at setting up and maintaining their planes.Every time in the last 6-7 years I've seen a plane go in at the field with the pilot saying, "I don't know what happened. I just lost control." I've asked if he was flying Spektrum. The answer was always yes. And now we have this, the high end receivers that have had so many failures that Spektrum has had to do another recall. That's not a move that a company makes rashly. Recalls are expensive, and are only done to prevent complete loss of consumer confidence or to keep from getting sued.
I've said for years that Spektrum puts together solid designs, but rushes them out the door so fast in an effort to be the first to market that they just don't have the bugs worked out. They aren't cutting edge, but they do have cool doodads and gadgets that consumers want. As Jeti USA pointed out, Futaba doesn't innovate as quickly as many other manufacturers do. But they also don't use their consumers as beta testers either. Ditto for JR. I hope they keep the quality up going forward. I think Spektrum is a company run by salesmen, not engineers or users. That changes they way they do business, pushing their developers to get new features to market fast. Usually it works out just fine. But sometimes it creates the sort of problem we are discussing today.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:31 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope this doesn't throw salt in a wound but this is why i have stayed away from spektrum . Over and over i hear , see or read continuing issues of some sort or another with spek. The funny part about this is all or most of the issues come from receiver issues. I have a friend that just got a new DX20 and it has problems with the scroll wheel working right ,then not working right. shame... it looks like a nice radio . i sold my trusty 12x and jumped in the DMSS system and have great luck. there have been a lot of false rumors about JR going under but i'm sticking with them to the end. If that even happened's ...You can't beat the xbus system . I hope no one looses their planes before they find out about the recall...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	1402
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	2204008  
Old 03-05-2017, 06:50 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
Not defending the bashing of other brands and I have no personal connection to ZB but, I understand his "enthusiasm". He does have the best product on the market in Jeti by a wide margin and it must be difficult/frustrating to understand why more people don't "get it" and continue to put themselves through grief with Spektrum.

Without his efforts (Esprit has done all the FCC work and absorbed the cost) North Americans would not have the choice of using the best system available. You have to give him credit for that so, for those efforts, I support him.

Mike

Any success jeti is having is DESPITE his posts. They are a complete turnoff
Old 03-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Jeti USA

Sorry but you really missed my point. We WANT Futaba to wake up and be the leader like they used to be, we are also unhappy what is going on with JR (hopefully nothing), we sell and support both brands. And that's true we do not care about Spektrum, the way they treat they employees, team guys and dealers they reserve all of it.

It's same thing when our guys were cheering that hobby shop around the corner was closing, I said you will see it's not good, we will end up with less customers and we did. When everybody prosper we all prosper.

Originally Posted by olnico
Ahhhhhhh!

I was about to post; " I am surprised that Jeti USA has not chimed in here yet to place their product "
Everywhere there is a sh*** smell they pop up like a bunch of vultures. Well done guys, you keep up to my expectations.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:21 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by dubd
Actually the real problem is you continue to bash other manufacturers as you promote your own brand. I was planning on replacing my 18MZ with a Jeti 24, but I can't stand your attitude, so I may not. I know of at least half a dozen local jet pilots who were interested in the Jeti radio, but have been turned off by you.
This....exactly.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:36 AM
P. Richards

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but you really missed my point. We WANT Futaba to wake up and be the leader like they used to be, we are also unhappy what is going on with JR (hopefully nothing), we sell and support both brands. And that's true we do not care about Spektrum, the way they treat they employees, team guys and dealers they reserve all of it.

It's same thing when our guys were cheering that hobby shop around the corner was closing, I said you will see it's not good, we will end up with less customers and we did. When everybody prosper we all prosper.
You have to understand, that being a representative of Jeti, that it's not a personal opinion, but a company bashing another company. Anything that you say reflects on your company either positive or negative. In this case it appears that you are losing potential customers, due to something that is in your control. Wanting Futaba to do better as a customer, is completely different than wanting them to do better, as a business especially when you are, or were a competitor.

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 AM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not understanding what all the hubub is about regarding Horizon and Spektrum... Horizon above most have alway taken care of me and my customes... I flown JR my whole modeling career, and was reluctant to switch to Spektrum, but I have and it has been a great experience... Nobody I run with useing Spektrum has ever had an issue that I know of.. Surley it can't be as bad as I hear here... Every industry has issues and recalls. My hat's off to Horizon for the recall, that they recognized a problem and fessed up and ran with it. Yes it's a inconvience, and yes it has put some in a jam, Including myself, but I am making do,,, I hope they get a quick resolution.

Dan.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Guess im in the dark?? I didnt really see what jetiusa stated as being out of line.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:49 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by raron455
Guess im in the dark?? I didnt really see what jetiusa stated as being out of line.

Here is an example of jeti USA business practices:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...tcy-today.html
Old 03-05-2017, 11:53 AM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Jeti USA. My Spektrum works great. My Futaba works great. Just trying to figure out your marketing strategy here. Reading your posts/ads here in this thread doesn't make me feel the need to rush out and buy a Jeti radio. Don't know if that was what your sales and marketing strategy intended for me..... Hope you feel better.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:53 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I just purchased one of the DX20's last week and it looks good so far everything works. I was going to put it in a small turbine project with the 9350 Rx. I have used my trusty 12x for many years and have had Zero problems to date. Should I be concerned before using it or will it be OK to start moving some of the Eighteen aircraft over that I have.
Should I use less expensive aircraft for burn time first? I have never used any thing but JR for 30yrs, Other than Spectrum RX's.

Need REAL user input please.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TimD.
Well, I just purchased one of the DX20's last week and it looks good so far everything works. I was going to put it in a small turbine project with the 9350 Rx. I have used my trusty 12x for many years and have had Zero problems to date. Should I be concerned before using it or will it be OK to start moving some of the Eighteen aircraft over that I have.
Should I use less expensive aircraft for burn time first? I have never used any thing but JR for 30yrs, Other than Spectrum RX's.

Need REAL user input please.
Well I have one of the DX20 radios although I've not used it yet, I also have two JR 12X radios so I think I can offer some suggestions; you will not be able to directly import models from the 12X program, but the settings used will be very close. So a manual update/copy of the settings will get you close on control deflections and such. The rest of it won't be much use as the newer Spektrum stuff is so much different to program than JR.

That said, the programming is much more intuitive and if you just let the radio guide you through the initial setup, when you get to setting control deflections there will not be a lot to change. I would NOT leave the servos connected to their surfaces while you do this and mixes/flight modes will not transfer either.

As a matter of practice, I ALWAYS start out with less expensive models on a new radio, usually my foamies.... lol

The DX20 is a nice radio and I think you will enjoy it, but it is just a bit different to program than your JR.....

Last edited by Zeeb; 03-05-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:50 PM
luv2flyrc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well I have one of the DX20 radios although I've not used it yet, I also have two JR 12X radios so I think I can offer some suggestions; you will not be able to directly import models from the 12X program, but the settings used will be very close. So a manual update/copy of the settings will get you close on control deflections and such. The rest of it won't be much use as the newer Spektrum stuff is so much different to program than JR.

That said, the programming is much more intuitive and if you just let the radio guide you through the initial setup, when you get to setting control deflections there will not be a lot to change. I would NOT leave the servos connected to their surfaces while you do this and mixes/flight modes will not transfer either.

As a matter of practice, I ALWAYS start out with less expensive models on a new radio, usually my foamies.... lol

The DX20 is a nice radio and I think you will enjoy it, but it is just a bit different to program than your JR.....
If you measure the servo pulse width at mid point and max throw in both directions on the old Tx, you can use them to set the new Tx exactly the same and there will be no difference when you fly the plane. A buddy suggested this when I switched radio brands, it's brilliant. No need to even re-trim the plane.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:10 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank for the input, I had a DX18G2 NIB and never used it for the past year. I saw the Jeti a couple of years ago and was really interested but as others have stated the obvious. So I opted for the DX system. Sadly I do not have any foamie type planes, never got into flying coffee cups. Most everything I have is $1500+.

Maybe I should just add new planes to it slowly to see how it goes. I always liked the feel of JR in my hands The DX20 is closer to that. Still not sure why the radio companies continue to make radios that feel like you are holding an encyclopedia book ?
Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 PM
dubd

That said, the programming is much more intuitive and if you just let the radio guide you through.
I completely agree with you here. Spektrum has the most intuitive/easy to use programming user interface I've experienced.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:43 AM
dbsonic

I think I hear disco.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 AM
Stone17

I've had problem with my Spektrum AR9130T when I got it (2/10/2017). Plug the battery in and only get a blue light.

I post a video about it. I did sent my AR9130T last week to Horizon Hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOQeI1tzLE

Last edited by Stone17; 03-06-2017 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just thinking the exact same thing, HA! Discos back!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:47 AM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
I was just thinking the exact same thing, HA! Discos back!
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.