Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Analog servos on Non essential

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Analog servos on Non essential

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Unhappy Analog servos on Non essential

So now I am really confused.

I have been flying my HP Jets F-86 and my Isobar with digital servos on the flying surfaces and small analog servos on the gear and brakes and the speed brakes on the Sabre. The RX in the sabre is a 9 channel JR DSM2 R921and in the Isobar a 12 channel spektrum power safe AR12100 DSM2. I have flown both of these in the past on a JR12X.
Last summer I switched to a DX18 Airware. I put several flights on the Isobar and only 1 on the HP Sabre (engine was at 25 hours).

I read about the recall on the new telemetry RX's from specktrum. I had called asked them about the AR12120 DSMX Power safe RX because I heard that there was suppose to be some issue with that one.

I recently crashed a jet with that RX and xpansion module in it. I did have some analog servos on the non essential's. Canopy, speed brakes, and landing lights.

So the confusion is. I asked Horizon about running a mix of analog and digital servos, there comment was that the rx's need to have all digital servos on it.
A friend of mine is flying a Bobcat with a mix of digital and analog on flying surfaces. He has put a number of flights on last summer with no issue, not sure what RX he is using but I believe it is the Specktrum 9 channel DSMX with out power safe Using a DX 18 Second Gen TX.

So can I use the different servos in the same air frame or not.
I'm so conffused

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by Jetpilot24; 03-16-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:22 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I have spectrum rx's, both powersafe and non power safe and use a combination of digital and analogue servo's in all of my jets. Some jets even use plain old 3 pole cored servo's on things like valves. I have pylon racers and sport planes with spektrum receivers that use 30 year old analogue servo's. Some pylon planes have a combination of digital, coreless, and 3 pole servo's with high frequency vibration screaming engines on them.
I have never seen or heard any warnings about mixing servo's in instruction manuals, online or otherwise. Spektrum or JR 2.4 receivers. The only thing I ever had a problem with was when I switched to 2.4 I had an amplified Y harness in my kingcat, it didn't like that with JR8611 servo's. I swapped out the Y harness and used 2 channels instead and never had a problem. I've used non amplified Y harness's in other jets including the flaps on my Firebird and never had an issue there either.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 AM
Jetpilot24

I do know that if you use the 22 ms on the TX then you do have to use digital servos. If you activate the Xplus the TX will automatically switch back to the 11ms. With that said that tells me that as long as I am on the 11 ms frame rate then analog can be used.
Thanks Joe
Old 03-18-2017, 06:44 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetpilot24
I do know that if you use the 22 ms on the TX then you do have to use digital servos. If you activate the Xplus the TX will automatically switch back to the 11ms. With that said that tells me that as long as I am on the 11 ms frame rate then analog can be used.
Thanks Joe
Actually you have that backwards. Analog servos operate at 50Hz / 20ms so 22ms frame rate should be Ok for any servo. Digital servos are capable of operating at a higher frame rate such as 100Hz or even higher so 11ms should only be used with digital servos.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Jetpilot24

Wayne,
Thank you for the correction. I did look at my Tx and I did type that in the wrong way.

Joe