Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

setting up a workshop!! Need ideas!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

setting up a workshop!! Need ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:55 AM
toto44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this workbench

found it on Pinterest
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	workbench.png
Views:	8083
Size:	630.0 KB
ID:	2207439  
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And plenty of liquid courage in the refrigerator.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:21 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bcovish
And plenty of liquid courage in the refrigerator.
what he said! I usually start out with a good beer, then switch to bud light. That's kind of like drinking water and you don't saw off as many digits...
Old 03-28-2017, 12:28 PM
afterburner

Originally Posted by Vettster
Just a 1.5 garage for me. Just want to mention I do a lot of painting and sanding in the area so I invested in a heater that draws and expels air/gasses to and from outside. No worries of an explosion now.
What kind of heater is that?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner
What kind of heater is that?

its a Williams.. All kinds to choose from here...https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpr...ctID=453058936

Mine is 65,000btu and it way more than needed. I rarely hear the furnace on.. but If I really want to get the place cooking I turn on the fan.

Name:	IMG_20170329_113010595.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	2207520  

Last edited by Vettster; 03-29-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 AM
afterburner

Originally Posted by Vettster
its a Williams.. All kinds to choose from here...https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpr...ctID=453058936

Mine is 65,000btu and it way more than needed. I rarely hear the furnace on.. but If I really want to get the place cooking I turn on the fan.
Cool, thanks.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:02 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=toto44;12320900]Love this workbench

found it on Pinterest[/QUOTE

Very nice find. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:11 PM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I have a 28x28' shop dedicated to building stuff. metal mill, metal lathe, mig welder, all the woodworking stuff on dedicated suction, 3D printer, delta air filter... it is my favorite part of our new home :-) I made a few of the tables. The EAA has a easy plan online to build it. I made them larger than they suggested. Here are some pics. I'll post more in a few... Biggest thing to me is lighting. Make sure you have adequate lighting. Changing or adding bulbs is worth it!

Hi Dr. Really nice shop! Is the floor painted or is it vinyl sheet. That is the next step for my shop. I can't paint it tough. Aside from being populated now, I was concerned about the acid wash attacking the steel.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2017, 07:26 AM
DrScoles

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this is an epoxy floor. I HIGHLY recommend you leave out the speckle stuff if you do this. If a bolt or nut drops on this floor, its gone. I don't even look for them anymore. Its like they get sucked into the floor and disappear.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this is an epoxy floor. I HIGHLY recommend you leave out the speckle stuff if you do this. If a bolt or nut drops on this floor, its gone. I don't even look for them anymore. Its like they get sucked into the floor and disappear.
LOL... Good Point!
Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 AM
SECRET AGENT

Just don't wear any shoes, you'll find those lost nuts and bolts almost immediatly, HA!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:16 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by extra 300
Hi guys,

I am in the process of setting up a new workshop about 60 square meters in L shape and need some good ideas for storage of jets, Giant planes, a few foamies and accessories...
Will also have to design power outputs to be able to have optional AC/DC voltage access from different points of the workshop. Same goes for Lighting!!!
on the other hand ideas/photos for a practical workbench are also welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Regards,

Hi Guys,

Everyone has been giving really good advise. I have a 40'X60' steel building with 20' ceiling that would be next to impossible to climatize without going broke. I built a 20' W X 30' L X 9'6" H hobby room inside my building that is fully insulated due to the extreme weather I have. I installed a dual head Mini Split HVAC unit to keep the comfort level to PERFECT regardless if it is 115* F or 0*F !! For those of you in the U.S. interested in the Mini Split, they are very affordable and easy to install. I purchased mine from www.comfortup.com as they were half the price of Home Depot including free shipping. I used a 4' long, 4 bulb, T-5 lighting every 6' double row to make a hobby surgical center, as the guys are right, you can not have enough lighting. The white painted walls really help as well. I have wall outlets every 8' in the walls and a bank of outlets on separate dedicated breakers for the Bench tools i.e. saws, sanders, grinders etc. I also put outlets in the ceiling with a drop down cord for the extra ease of needing electricity. I have the Mini Fridge, 50" TV on the wall, 42" computer monitor and of course the security system is installed as well. The 60 gal Compressor is out in the main shop and with the 6" insulated walls, I hardly hear it when it kicks on. I also have Air outlets throughout the shop with a wall mounted retractable air hose. I had a 14KW solar system installed that covers all the shop electricity and most of the home as well. I have the extra storage on top of my room for other planes and such that works out really good without taking up space from the rest of the building. I will say this for the guys that are just now planning on building a shop, YOU CAN NOT GO BIG ENOUGH!! When I moved into this place and seen the huge 40x60 empty building, I thought what the heck am i going to do with this much space?? Trust me, you will find all kinds of things to fill it up. Same when I built the interior shop and looking at others posted pictures, you will find all kinds of things to clutter it up so go bigger if you have the luxury of doing so.

Cheers everyone!!

Dirk

Name:	20171209_124015.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	2247286  
Old 12-10-2017, 01:27 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyKnight
Hi Dr. Really nice shop! Is the floor painted or is it vinyl sheet. That is the next step for my shop. I can't paint it tough. Aside from being populated now, I was concerned about the acid wash attacking the steel.

Thanks
Hey Alan ! if you can't paint the floor, you can always use either CVT ( like the tiles in a supermarket ) or do what i did and go the easy way .. Snap together floor tiles. They are not expensive, look great, and are replaceable I work on cars in the garage and even for that, these have proven to be very durable. My RC shop is in the basement, so I'm debating what to do there .. I might do the snap tiles there also.

Same as you, I just did not want to do the acid wash in the garage, and there were grease stains there from the previous owners. With CVT, you have to polish it every once in a while, and I did not want the hassle.

www.speedwaytile.com

Name:	20171024_160843.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	859.4 KB
ID:	2247421   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_204429.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	816.1 KB
ID:	2247422   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_003151.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2247423   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_204424.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	657.1 KB
ID:	2247424  

Last edited by wojtek; 12-10-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:09 PM
SECRET AGENT

Doc Brown from Back to the Future wants his car back, HA!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:49 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wojtek
Hey Alan ! if you can't paint the floor, you can always use either CVT ( like the tiles in a supermarket ) or do what i did and go the easy way .. Snap together floor tiles. They are not expensive, look great, and are replaceable I work on cars in the garage and even for that, these have proven to be very durable. My RC shop is in the basement, so I'm debating what to do there .. I might do the snap tiles there also.

Same as you, I just did not want to do the acid wash in the garage, and there were grease stains there from the previous owners. With CVT, you have to polish it every once in a while, and I did not want the hassle.

RacewayTile.com - Home
Thanx for the idea Voy! As usual, your stuff looks FIRST CLASS. I'm trying to stay away form seams if at all possible though or at least as few seams as I can get.

~al
Old 12-11-2017, 06:48 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by springbok flyer
extra 300,

i agree 100% about having enough lights, plus add electrical points every 2 meters along the walls. Even where you might be storing. It makes charging very easy when you can do that with the model in it's storage space. A few other 'must have' i won't compromise on:

- get the floor finished in a light coloured, smooth, but non-slip surface.
- dedicate a section for storage. You don't want to mix working area and storage area if at all possible.
- put all your bench tools along a wall with tool/parts shelves below and tool hanging above it against the wall.
- if possible get a worktop that you can sit at along the wall somewhere.
- dedicate the maximum open space in the center of your working area so that you can use movable workbenches and or model stands there. This will become the most used space in your workshop as it is for building, assembly and preflight checking. If you have a roof/ceiling height that changes in your workshop - i suggest you position this area under the highest spot. Height is very important as you never have to worry about picking up and manoeuvring your models inside the workshop. (especially as they are getting bigger all the time). Make sure you have very good access in and out of this area. In my workshop i have a 3m garage door on two sides of it. This also improves ventilation and you can even test run your models very close to your workshop.

A note on storage. There are many options and no doubt everyone uses the method that works best for them in their situation. For me - after trying many different options; i make a pvc pipe storage/carry/transport stand for every one of my jet models. This allows me to store them in shelves like a 'morgue' and put everything belonging to that model with it. I can charge them in there, then slide them out and transfer them into my model van for transport or onto a workbench or model stand.

Like everything customised - a successful result is directly related to the planning and preparation you put into it. List everything you have, then write down how you would like to handle it, then see where your space will give you what you need.

Good luck and enjoy,

jan
pictures!!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:45 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Haven't started yet. Renovation of my house is taking ages...