Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Field Box Accessories

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Field Box Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Field Box Accessories

Hello Guys - Rookie Question Here: What tools/accessories are in your field box when you go to the field? Thanks. Chic
Old 03-30-2017, 01:20 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough question. Pretty much everything you think you might need and everything you don't. When you have a trailer, you try to duplicate everything you have in your shop(within reason). If I don't take my trailer somewhere, I accept the fact that I can be grounded fairly easily because I'm not going to start pulling everything out of my trailer to put in my vehicle. At the minimum, basic hand tools, medium CA, 5 min epoxy and some mixing cups with sticks.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:29 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner
Tough question. Pretty much everything you think you might need and everything you don't. When you have a trailer, you try to duplicate everything you have in your shop(within reason). If I don't take my trailer somewhere, I accept the fact that I can be grounded fairly easily because I'm not going to start pulling everything out of my trailer to put in my vehicle. At the minimum, basic hand tools, medium CA, 5 min epoxy and some mixing cups with sticks.
I do the opposite... bring the basic tool to assemble the plane. BUT, I bring two jets I HATE wrenching at the field
Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JackD
I do the opposite... bring the basic tool to assemble the plane. BUT, I bring two jets I HATE wrenching at the field
I am with you Jack. Fixing and repairing is for my workshop. I too take two models whenever I go flying and only what I need to assemble them at the field.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 03-30-2017, 01:56 PM
redtail

Appreciate your thoughts Marty, Jack, and Jan. Seems like basic tools (screwdrivers, hex wrenches, etc.) and glue just in case. Jack I am flying Jet Central. Still listening. Chic
Old 03-30-2017, 02:27 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackD
Sometimes two's not enough but if that's the case, it's usually a sign to pack it in or just fly a foamy for the day.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:04 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Sometimes two's not enough but if that's the case, it's usually a sign to pack it in or just fly a foamy for the day.
Actually, I'm with both Marty and the others.

For flying at my local field, I don't generally wrench and if its not an absolutely minor fix, I pack it up and fix it at home.

Now for a flyin, where I took between 5 and 10 hours to drive there and I'm there for 4 to as much as 10 days, like Marty, I try and bring at least one of everything I can think of so in case something happens, I'm not sitting on my hands for several days or more watching other guys having fun.

I will say though that for going out to my local flying field, my jets and props with all of their associated gear are hard enough to carry that I lug my trailer out there too (its a small 5' x 8') which has most of the stuff I take on long trips, so I have most of it with me anyway.

Bob
Old 03-30-2017, 04:04 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Other than tools, keep some hysol on hand
Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 PM
JackD

Ha!... yep, some days are not meant to be...
Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 PM
JackD

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Actually, I'm with both Marty and the others.

For flying at my local field, I don't generally wrench and if its not an absolutely minor fix, I pack it up and fix it at home.

Now for a flyin, where I took between 5 and 10 hours to drive there and I'm there for 4 to as much as 10 days, like Marty, I try and bring at least one of everything I can think of so in case something happens, I'm not sitting on my hands for several days or more watching other guys having fun.

I will say though that for going out to my local flying field, my jets and props with all of their associated gear are hard enough to carry that I lug my trailer out there too (its a small 5' x 8') which has most of the stuff I take on long trips, so I have most of it with me anyway.

Bob

Events are a different animal!!!! For those I bring: My full tool box, a Radio equipment box (a couple servos, some extensions), a glue box (hysol, zap, assorted Plywood, some fiberglass and G10), assorted screws, cordless dremel and a soldering tool. And if possible, a spare engine!!!

For the local field a have a basic toolbox with: A set of Hex wrenches (L's and long with handle, both metric and inches), a good set of screwdrivers, specially little ones for panel screws, a couple pliers, hemostats and a roll of masking tape. I also bring spare set of screws to assemble the airplane in case i lose one.
And I recently discovered some little single use zap bottles, they come in a pack of 5 and I just drop a couple in the field box too https://robart.com/products/pt-105-5...-ca-single-use

Hope this helps
Old 03-31-2017, 03:40 AM
redtail

​You guys are great. Hope to one day fly with some of you. Great tips. Chic
Old 03-31-2017, 05:56 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Not an exact answer to your question, but I am a big checklist guy. Here is a copy & paste from one of my models. I haven't forgotten anything in a long time, & you could do the same for your tools.
Jay

�� SKYGATE L-39 ��
CHARGE
• TX
• 2 rx
• ECU
• lights
• jersey fuel can
• blower
• air pump
**anti static in fuel
• freeze bottled water

BRING
• Fuse
• wings
• vertical fin
• wing tube
• fin tube
• nose cone (all batts have leads!!!!!)
• inlets
• checklist
• foam/pillow
• all hex heads!
• 18MZ
• bungees
• extinguisher
• jersey fueler
• flight box
• portable blower
• air pump
• wheel cart
• tent?
• stand
• knee pad
• towel for wiping
• A frame
• ear protection
• hat!
• water
• Sunblock!
Old 03-31-2017, 06:04 AM
redtail

Jay - after 24 years in the Air Force, a checklist is 2nd nature. Just printed your post out to check off anything, I don't have on my checklist. Many thanks for your reply. Chic