Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How big of a smoke tank for a 160-210 size turbine

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How big of a smoke tank for a 160-210 size turbine

Old 04-04-2017, 08:59 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How big of a smoke tank for a 160-210 size turbine

I'm rebuilding a lightly crashed Avation Diamond. I'm currently building my fuel tanks and I'm copying the originals just a few oz bigger.

So im try to build the smoke tank but I'm trying to decide between building a 40oz or 50oz smoke tank.

So my question how big of a smoke tank would you want for a 160-210 size turbine? Thanks
Old 04-04-2017, 10:41 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no relation between the size of the smoke tank and the size of the turbine. It really depends on how much room you have for a smoke tank. I have a 120 turbine with a 48oz smoke tank. Also I want thick smoke so I have the smoke turned up as fast as it will run. Also running two sticks
Old 04-05-2017, 05:22 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
I'm rebuilding a lightly crashed Avation Diamond. I'm currently building my fuel tanks and I'm copying the originals just a few oz bigger.

So im try to build the smoke tank but I'm trying to decide between building a 40oz or 50oz smoke tank.

So my question how big of a smoke tank would you want for a 160-210 size turbine? Thanks

Go with the 50oz Mike. Bob-o's right about the size of the engine not really being a factor.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Go with as big as you can fit in. You will burn through it fast. If you dont want to carry the weight all the time just dont fill it all the way up.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:08 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

The general rule is 10 oz per minute for smoke.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:28 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
The general rule is 10 oz per minute for smoke.
That might be true for older pumps like the Skywriter. Modern HV pumps like the Powerbox Jet smoke pump can burn through 20oz per minute at full power. The amount of oil burnt also depends on the diameter of the injector tubes and if you use one or two tubes.

Thomas
Old 04-05-2017, 04:50 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

That's why I like skywriters, they smoke great, use less smoke and last FOREVER. I have a 10 y/o skywriter that has 100's of gallons through it and works like a champ.

And it's 1/2 the price of the powerbox!
Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelevel
That might be true for older pumps like the Skywriter. Modern HV pumps like the Powerbox Jet smoke pump can burn through 20oz per minute at full power. The amount of oil burnt also depends on the diameter of the injector tubes and if you use one or two tubes.

Thomas
Depending on your set up (number, size, type and placement of injector tubes, brand of pump, voltage, diameter of tubing, etc), it's likely you may not need to run at full power/volume. At some point, more smoke oil doesn't necessarily translate to more smoke. I like to start by putting the smoke pump on a slider and experiment to find what volume gives the most bang for the buck.

On my new Natrix, I'm running just one of Dreamworks "Super Stick" injectors with a JetCat smoke pump. The set up puts out great smoke (Super Dri oil) but after about 70% throw the smoke does not noticeably increase. I now have it set to 70% at full throw and manage to get longer burns per/flight. I haven't timed it but I guess I'm getting 4 minutes or so of smoke with about 50oz of oil.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5325.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	2208629