Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rough day at Nall

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rough day at Nall

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:22 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flightwerkz
I was one of the jet losses but it was not due to radio issues. A damn tree jumped up and grabbed my Rebel Pro. Someone needs to feed those trees more often!!! My Jeti DS16 was working flawlessly. No low signal issues. Looking forward to the DS24 which will transmit on 900MHz as well so 2.4 saturation will not be an issue for us. RIP my Orange missile! Hello Havoc? Stay tuned at Flightwerkz!
I'm glad to hear that. I have JETI DC-24 and had heard a rumor that in congested airspace they were having issues with latency and consistently dropped telemetry and signal strength. Well, actually it's not all rumor, someone I know who was there and flying every day at Nall this year with JETI said they had a lot of telemetry drop outs but nothing worse than that for them.

If I ever go back to Nall and take my CARF P-51 with the Kolm engine, it'll be using the 900MHz backup as well. I don't think I'll ever take a turbine to Nall. Just don't feel the risk/reward/safety margin is there for me with peak crowds.

Last edited by luckymacy; 05-21-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Awwwh man, I heard you wrecked my jet
Old 05-21-2017, 03:10 PM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of rumors and thoughts on lost planes at Joe Nall...I flew every day there Friday to Friday. .no worries....50% of crashes pilot error...others different. .mechanical or otherwise. ..

If you think about it...Sky's are still filled with planes...jets flying or not..

Who knows how many radios on at any one time in air and pits...

Joe Nall is the only event I've ever flown with the possibility of saturation. ..Yet you didn't see prop planes in the dirt.

I still feel DSMX is a good system...but the new Jeti is quite something...spent an hour at the booth
Old 05-21-2017, 03:58 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Originally Posted by BillJ
Lots of rumors and thoughts on lost planes at Joe Nall...I flew every day there Friday to Friday. .no worries....50% of crashes pilot error...others different. .mechanical or otherwise. ..

If you think about it...Sky's are still filled with planes...jets flying or not..

Who knows how many radios on at any one time in air and pits...

Joe Nall is the only event I've ever flown with the possibility of saturation. ..Yet you didn't see prop planes in the dirt.

I still feel DSMX is a good system...but the new Jeti is quite something...spent an hour at the booth
Oh there were plenty of prop aircraft crashes also! Not as much hoopla about it when they crash. Not as spectacular!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:25 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was the the first one that crashed. I lost my Hawk. Not sure what but not dumb thumb, structure failure or flaps blanking the elevator. I flew the jet 4 times saturday not issues. Saturday morning I took off and was making the downwiind leg watining on the gear to complete there cycle. Suddenly flame out. I made it back to the field and landed safely.

Couldn't find anything wrong. after extensive ground testing, checking everything including batteries it was good to go.

Took off with no problems went to full throttle after gear and flaps up, no issues. Slowed to do some slow flight with Bob's 50% cub that took off and was still acting just fine. deploy and retacted the flaps mutiply times to stay with the cub. No signs of any problems. At about 2 laps with the cub and 3 mins in the flight I was turning from the north end or left end above and behind the cub. As I made a diving turn I begin to level wings and let the shawlow dive continue to go below the cub. I want to pull out at about 50ft but got no response. The jet did change it's path in any way.
Of couse it was sick watching it just head in with me bending the stick. I salvaged the landing gear and a lot of the wing parts. The rear dual servos (8711) check out fine.

What do I think? I have been flying this dx-18 and ar1210 power-safe with life batteries for 4+ years. I flew this Hawk close to 200 times. It has been flown at very large events and local events. I have flown it with Drones on both sides of it with no signs of radio interference.

I left Sunday so I wasn't there when all the other crashes happened. Yes I heard about Danny's lost and I sorry buddy. I kind of know the feeling. But what scared me was not knowing what happened. I just thought it was me and then I started hearing about others. I hope the others will share what happened and ignore the haters and salesman of other brands. We need to know to learn.

I have lost 2 jets and crashed one into another on a runway. I figured out on each one what caused them. One was jet I bought and made a mistake programming of a gyro. Very expensive lesson. #2 was a fuel filter that split and started a on-board fire. I still landed it but we had nothing to put it out with, #3 was a air leak that cause my nose gear to retract on landing and no brakes. The Jet veered off the runway into a good friends jet. All is good now.

I hope that I will someday find out. What I know for sure is that that jet was flown all winter long just about every weekend and never had any holds on the telemetry or felt anything odd flying it. I sure haters will say its the radio system, I have been flying RC for over 35 years and can say all of them have issues. I know mine didn't until Nall. Was it over saturation? maybe.

I really enjoy Nall but doubt I will fly there again. It is the only place I have flown with so many other flight lines at the same time. This year a new FPV line on the north end and another electric line. Kentucky jet, War birds over Delaware, Florida jets doesn't come close to the numbers in the air at the same time.

I sure I will build another Hawk soon because it's my favorite. Until then I am heading to First in Flight.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Sorry for the loss Jeff. See you at FIF.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:50 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Jeff

Sorry about the plane.

Behzad
Old 05-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Did anyone check for new TV transmitters in the area? We have a dry lake north of Reno that is you get out of a certain area you get all kinds of problems with 2.4 because of a TV microwave dish. Then again when you have a 500,000 watt microwave dish shooting signals at you flying it causes problem like this.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:53 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigG
Ali Machinchy was flying a really neat turbo prop with a Kingtech K-100. It was super quiet on takeoff but once he got it leveled out it was FAST and had a really neat prop whine. Not sure what it's called but unfortunately is not a production kit.
It's a low production USRA racer.. It's a Stiletto, but I can't remember who produces it.. I know Tom Easterday used to produce a Stilleto.. It might be his.. Peter Goldsmith would be the guy to ask as that's his old airplane Ali bought.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:15 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any video of Ali's plane?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:13 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Originally Posted by jws_aces
I was the the first one that crashed. I lost my Hawk. Not sure what but not dumb thumb, structure failure or flaps blanking the elevator. I flew the jet 4 times saturday not issues. Saturday morning I took off and was making the downwiind leg watining on the gear to complete there cycle. Suddenly flame out. I made it back to the field and landed safely.

Couldn't find anything wrong. after extensive ground testing, checking everything including batteries it was good to go.

Took off with no problems went to full throttle after gear and flaps up, no issues. Slowed to do some slow flight with Bob's 50% cub that took off and was still acting just fine. deploy and retacted the flaps mutiply times to stay with the cub. No signs of any problems. At about 2 laps with the cub and 3 mins in the flight I was turning from the north end or left end above and behind the cub. As I made a diving turn I begin to level wings and let the shawlow dive continue to go below the cub. I want to pull out at about 50ft but got no response. The jet did change it's path in any way.
Of couse it was sick watching it just head in with me bending the stick. I salvaged the landing gear and a lot of the wing parts. The rear dual servos (8711) check out fine.

What do I think? I have been flying this dx-18 and ar1210 power-safe with life batteries for 4+ years. I flew this Hawk close to 200 times. It has been flown at very large events and local events. I have flown it with Drones on both sides of it with no signs of radio interference.

I left Sunday so I wasn't there when all the other crashes happened. Yes I heard about Danny's lost and I sorry buddy. I kind of know the feeling. But what scared me was not knowing what happened. I just thought it was me and then I started hearing about others. I hope the others will share what happened and ignore the haters and salesman of other brands. We need to know to learn.

I have lost 2 jets and crashed one into another on a runway. I figured out on each one what caused them. One was jet I bought and made a mistake programming of a gyro. Very expensive lesson. #2 was a fuel filter that split and started a on-board fire. I still landed it but we had nothing to put it out with, #3 was a air leak that cause my nose gear to retract on landing and no brakes. The Jet veered off the runway into a good friends jet. All is good now.

I hope that I will someday find out. What I know for sure is that that jet was flown all winter long just about every weekend and never had any holds on the telemetry or felt anything odd flying it. I sure haters will say its the radio system, I have been flying RC for over 35 years and can say all of them have issues. I know mine didn't until Nall. Was it over saturation? maybe.

I really enjoy Nall but doubt I will fly there again. It is the only place I have flown with so many other flight lines at the same time. This year a new FPV line on the north end and another electric line. Kentucky jet, War birds over Delaware, Florida jets doesn't come close to the numbers in the air at the same time.

I sure I will build another Hawk soon because it's my favorite. Until then I am heading to First in Flight.

You put on a good show with the hawk Jeff! It would be nice if someone had some video or pics to show where the elevator angle was right before the crash.

Bobs viper was definately not a radio issue. Same with the f18. The right aileron servo was locked in the up position.

There could have been some interference issues but if so, I think they were few and could not only be caused by radio saturation but more than likely receiver antennae position. I had an issue with my Spektrum gear once. Worked fine but a little slow on binding. After flying for a bit the radio developed an occasional hold, similar to what Jeff experienced but not as long. Found that one of the satellites had died...
Old 05-22-2017, 10:55 AM
ray_theo

Originally Posted by olnico
Yes, we are well aware of this. We did extending testings at Nall in 2015 when we were distributing Weatronic.
We would see the saturation of the 2.4Ghz band on a regular basis with the equipment embedded scanner. This equates to a significant raise of the noise level on lots of channels of the band.
However some channels would be much more free and that's where the beauty of the intelligent frequency hopping algorithm that the Weatronic engineers developed.
Our equipment was consistently proving a strong level of LQI despite of the rapid degradation of the RSSI.
We kept recording the radio electric environment and Weatronic performance throughout the event.
Sorry guys for the losses, its hard to loose a jet AND not knowing what happend. I had a similar experience in the past. On the field on Friday i talked to the Powerbox guys and they told me interesting things. In my understanding they agreed with Olnicos theory of the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band and the problems especially for jets because of the wide operational radius and the fact that the planes sometimes are closer to the radios on the electric/ 3D-line or the Helicopters /FPV which makes a lot of noise on the 2.4 system. The effects could be holds or failsafes for seconds which could cause crashes, especially with the fast flying jets.

But the most important thing for me is the fact that Powerbox told me awesome news about their coming radiosystem based on the Weatronic RF-Link with probably the most reliable radio link that should have no probs in situations like Joe Nall. That sounds good to me also the 25 channels and a brandnew and flexible telemetry- system in the Powerbox radio. They showed me pictures and for me it looked great with a large color-touchscreen on the upper side. Did anybody got more information about the radio?
Ray

Last edited by ray_theo; 05-22-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:02 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Any ideas about FPV. Dont they broadcast at a higher power rating than transmitters?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:05 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry guys but don't you think at SOME point you can have too many transmitters on? 1800 pilots?

There could have been hundreds of transmitters on at the same time.

What is the limit? I mean what if it was 18,000 registered pilots, with 4000 transmitters on at one time?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:19 AM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Originally Posted by ray_theo
Sorry guys for the losses, its hard to loose a jet AND not knowing what happend. I had a similar experience in the past. On the field on Friday i talked to the Powerbox guys and they told me interesting things. In my understanding they agreed with Olnicos theory of the overcrowded 2.4 GHz band and the problems especially for jets because of the wide operational radius and the fact that the planes sometimes are closer to the radios on the electric/ 3D-line or the Helicopters /FPV which makes a lot of noise on the 2.4 system. The effects could be holds or failsafes for seconds which could cause crashes, especially with the fast flying jets.

But the most important thing for me is the fact that Powerbox told me awesome news about their coming radiosystem based on the Weatronic RF-Link with probably the most reliable radio link that should have no probs in situations like Joe Nall. That sounds good to me also the 25 channels and a brandnew and flexible telemetry- system in the Powerbox radio. They showed me pictures and for me it looked great with a large color-touchscreen on the upper side. Did anybody got more information about the radio?
Ray
Sounds like a promotion for Powerboxes new radio. Jeti also will have the 900mhz so no problem at Nall either next year. I had the DS16 without any issues. Also, I don't know how many of these jet crashes were due to lock outs so let's not put the cart before the horse. Mine for sure was not a lock out.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This is an interesting talking point that probably has no way of actually being answered. I think Jets could be more susceptible to these issues because they are flown further away, more carbon, more metal, more fuel, etc that can cause radio issues. A set up that works fine at home could very well be more likely to have an issue in a more saturated environment.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:14 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What about those who don't need more than 9 channels? Are we pho-cked?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:56 AM
robersteam

what happend to Carf´s Mephisto?
Old 05-26-2017, 05:30 AM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by robersteam
what happend to Carf´s Mephisto?
Lost link using Graupner transmitter. They have no telemetry data logs, rest are speculations.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:07 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
Lost link using Graupner transmitter. They have no telemetry data logs, rest are speculations.
Wrong again my friend The Graupner HOTT system goes have data logging which as posted by Andreas proved the crash was not caused by a radio system issue. He suspects another companies on board electronics was the cause.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:13 AM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
Wrong again my friend The Graupner HOTT system goes have data logging which as posted by Andreas proved the crash was not caused by a radio system issue. He suspects another companies on board electronics was the cause.
Good, makes all much simpler. When Marcus asked them while they were walking past us we were told no idea and no data log.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Heavy Solar Flares hitting the earth that weekend!!
+Saturated airwaves
+we fly much further away
= loss of signal
Old 05-29-2017, 07:49 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Yeah, Vettster has a good point. I had a look at Spaceweather.com and we were getting some good activity during the Nall all the way up to this weekend. Culminating with a G3 Event that occurred yesterday. These events divert long haul aviation into more expensive and southern routes due to HF and satellite comm blackouts, and they definitely cause electronic issues here on tierra firma too. Like Vettster, we may have seen some straws that broke the camel's back due to this. Fuel pumps, smoke pumps, metal on metal connections, carbon fiber, far distances, normal 2.4 use drifting into saturation... all of these together in the right time and place might have just tipped the scales during the "unknown" events. Who knows.

Many of us don't get to this point in the hobby, and stay for a while, without having been meticulous and putting a lot of effort into avoiding this. The aftermath of course also includes a lot of investigation. Sounds like several of these events were pretty well understood but for those that are a blank stare into the abyss, perhaps some of the above may be worth considering. I'm sorry for your losses, you guys who had to endure this ritual on a favorite jet at the Nall.

Last edited by Eddie P; 05-29-2017 at 07:51 AM.